Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supplements

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

So I'm still trying to suss out some supplements, I'm happy enough with just protein and vits but looking around there are so many supplements and I'm trying to understand some and see if they are important.

Some scare me, mostly things marketed as energy and have high caffeine contents. Then a lot of others seem like marketing waffle and the benefits seem to be more reliant on opinion than fact.

Some things I was looking at lately was pre workout aminos and then ZMA'. I can't decide if they are actually essential or not. I'm leaning towards not.

Then I was looking at Creatine as the only dietary source seems to be red meat which I don't eat, But research seems to suggest all this does is retain water in the muscle? I assume to make them more aesthetically pleasing?

So is there any purpose to creatine other than appearence?

Or anyone have opinions on Aminos, ZMA's or any supplements in general?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

Zombienosh wrote: »
    So I'm still trying to suss out some supplements, I'm happy enough with just protein and vits but looking around there are so many supplements and I'm trying to understand some and see if they are important.

Some scare me, mostly things marketed as energy and have high caffeine contents. Then a lot of others seem like marketing waffle and the benefits seem to be more reliant on opinion than fact.

Some things I was looking at lately was pre workout aminos and then ZMA'. I can't decide if they are actually essential or not. I'm leaning towards not.

Then I was looking at Creatine as the only dietary source seems to be red meat which I don't eat, But research seems to suggest all this does is retain water in the muscle? I assume to make them more aesthetically pleasing?

So is there any purpose to creatine other than appearence?

Or anyone have opinions on Aminos, ZMA's or any supplements in general?

Creatine isn't really for appearance.. some forms will hold a little water, others will not! The main reason people take it is for the strength gain some get from it, personally i am a non responder to any form of the stuff but others swear by it so if your curious why not try it out? If you buy off one of the wholesalers its probably one of the cheapest supplements you can get (especially in Mono form).

Unless your cutting theres no real need to take additional aminos, if you are taking a whey protein you will be getting enough through that! When im cutting i do like to sip on some Xtend or similar product just for an extra bit of endurance during heavy training sessions though.

I have no personal experience with ZMA but i have considered taking them myself as i heard there good for sleep which i could do with as im a bit of an insomniac!

to be honest diet is the most important thing you need to think about, not what most people want to hear because as you say there is so much on the market and people always want to try the latest super natural test enhancing magic powder:pac: but truth is you dont really need half of it!

A good quality whey, a decent multi-vit, a weight-gainer if you find it hard to put on weight and maybe some creatine... if your eating well and getting in enough good sources of protein, carbs and fats you will find you will get just as good results as the chap in the gym whos kitchen looks like a supplement store (Unless hes got other types of supplements they dont sell in stores that is!:p) and you wont feel it in your wallet either!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

I'm just curious to try these things I guess, Like you said some people swear by things and some people say they're a fad. I guess I'll try them over time and make up my own mind.

I got a solid diet, proteins and multi vits. and don't need any gainers. so like I said everythings grand, just curious really.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

lads - I normally laugh at lads who complain about the taste of their protein shakes but no more: I bought some MP Latte flavoured protein and my God its just sick. It's like eating a bowl of honey coated in sugar with a sprinkle of artificial sweetener on top.
    So take this as a) a warning that it gross and b) an apology to anyone I slagged off about nit liking their protein shake.:o

RobAMerc wrote: »
    lads - I normally laugh at lads who complain about the taste of their protein shakes but no more: I bought some MP Latte flavoured protein and my God its just sick. It's like eating a bowl of honey coated in sugar with a sprinkle of artificial sweetener on top.
    So take this as a) a warning that it gross and b) an apology to anyone I slagged off about nit liking their protein shake.:o

Just go unflavoured! It dosn't taste amazing but it dosn't taste of much really! I have never looked back since i started buying unflavoured! Plus you get the extra protein content in each scoop :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭limerickhurl

Platinum Hydro Builder query

On the instructions, it says to include TWO scoops into your shake. This would mean I would be out of the stuff after only 10 shakes!

Is it possible to just have one scoop per shake? As in, would I lose out on the benefits of the supplement if I was to only have one scoop?

You must have bought the smallest size there is! Platinum Hydrobuilder comes in 7, 20 or 40 serving tubs

You could take half the serving but you will obviously only get half the benefits!

Cheers for the quick reply SpaceCowboy.

I bought the tub that has 20 servings. However, if it says on the directions to include 2 scoops into your shake, is that one or two servings?

In other words, when the directions say 2 scoops, does that equate to one serving or two?

Im just going by what is says here:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/opt/platinum-hydrobuilder.html

as far as i can see 1 scoop = 50g and that gives you 20 servings

30g of protein in each 50g scoop so i would think 1 scoop should be enough!

Theres also 5g of creatine in each scoop so maybe there saying to take 2 because they want you to load? Not sure myself!

If i were you id just buy a good isolate from one of the online wholesalers and buy your creatine separate! Would prob cost you just the same but you would get a much higher % of protein and a lot more creatine... just my 2 cents anyway!

Cheers for that info, sound man!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Maserati23

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Just go unflavoured! It dosn't taste amazing but it dosn't taste of much really! I have never looked back since i started buying unflavoured! Plus you get the extra protein content in each scoop :)

actually I normally do, I also have a few of the flavdrops which are excellent. I just tried this one for a change as latte sounded good - it's not its truly awful.

RobAMerc wrote: »
    actually I normally do, I also have a few of the flavdrops which are excellent. I just tried this one for a change as latte sounded good - it's not its truly awful.

Haha ill take your word for it!

I got a batch of chocolate isolate from Ironscience a few months back! It had a disgusting after taste! I emailed them back anyway and they said they thought the batch tasted fine but if i wanted to send it back they would exchange it! It was quarter empty at this stage so i filled it back up with glucose and mixed it in so you couldnt tell till it weighed almost 2.5kg again:pac::pac::pac:

Exchanged it for unflavoured and havnt looked back! ill never risk flavoured again now, just not worth the hassle! Plus i like the fact i know im getting a good 27g of protein in every 30g scoop now too!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Do people usually drink milk with whey protein at night? I've been doing this and I tried it with some cheese as that with the milk slows down the protein over the course of the night.

I've heard though that milk is used with protein when bulking and water when cutting though, I'm aiming more to cut, but is the milk at night still ok? I use it with the water after exercise for fast acting effect.

Just factor it into your daily calorific needs and you will be fine! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Midlife Crashes

I was planning on getting some Post workout supplements. Is it worth getting Maltodextrin/Dextrose or is it much better than Oats/Banana.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭nbrady20009

I was planning on getting some Post workout supplements. Is it worth getting Maltodextrin/Dextrose or is it much better than Oats/Banana.

Maltodextrin and Dextrose are single to short chain glucose units >> fast digesting

Fructose in bananas is just an isomer of glucose and is slightly slower digesting than the aforementioned products, although when taken with glucose its digestion speeds somewhat.

Oats contain the longest chain sugars of all the foodstuffs in question and so are the slowest digesting.

Based on that I wouldn't recommend taking oats post workout if you are looking for an insulin spike, but it's really a matter of preference when it comes to the other two. At the level yourself, myself and most others are at, it really isn't going to make much of a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Midlife Crashes

Maltodextrin and Dextrose are single to short chain glucose units >> fast digesting

Fructose in bananas is just an isomer of glucose and is slightly slower digesting than the aforementioned products, although when taken with glucose its digestion speeds somewhat.

Oats contain the longest chain sugars of all the foodstuffs in question and so are the slowest digesting.

Based on that I wouldn't recommend taking oats post workout if you are looking for an insulin spike, but it's really a matter of preference when it comes to the other two. At the level yourself, myself and most others are at, it really isn't going to make much of a difference.

All right cheers for the help. Would you recommend any supplements besides proteins, creatine, fish oils or multivitamins ? Last time I asked a question on the bodybuilding forum with regards testosterone I heard that in a teen legal testosterone boosters would have no effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭double GG

flyswatter wrote: »
    Do people usually drink milk with whey protein at night? I've been doing this and I tried it with some cheese as that with the milk slows down the protein over the course of the night.

I've heard though that milk is used with protein when bulking and water when cutting though, I'm aiming more to cut, but is the milk at night still ok? I use it with the water after exercise for fast acting effect.

It doesn't matter as long as it fits your macros, so count the the milk with your calorie intake.

The 'fast' acting effect of water with whey is a myth and not correct. If you needs the calories fire away with milk, if you don't simply use water.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Oisinjm

Maserati23 wrote: »

That's just one study, also from the quick glance I took at the article, it only talks of strokes. Fish Oils have loads of other benefits.

Oisín

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Oisinjm wrote: »
    That's just one study, also from the quick glance I took at the article, it only talks of strokes. Fish Oils have loads of other benefits.

Oisín

I've always heard they were good for mental well being for example. Have heard this from a GP.

flyswatter wrote: »
    I've always heard they were good for mental well being for example. Have heard this from a GP.

Good for cardiovascular health, help increase the free testosterone in your body, good for concentration to name a few.

Oisín

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭hypermuse

Anybody ever have a problem with MyProtein? If so how was your issue resloved?

I order a bag of protein and it has a small hole on the side, at the bottom. As a result the box was lightly dusted in powder.

I emailed them on Wednesday informing them of the problem and that I wanted another packet exchanged for it. I dont want moisture getting into the bag.

I still have yet to hear back from them and even sent them a gentle reminder yesterday that I was still waiting on their advice.

I order a bag of protein and it has a small hole on the side, at the bottom. As a result the box was lightly dusted in powder.

I emailed them on Wednesday informing them of the problem and that I wanted another packet exchanged for it. I dont want moisture getting into the bag.

I still have yet to hear back from them and even sent them a gentle reminder yesterday that I was still waiting on their advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

hypermuse wrote: »

Post on their facebook page the complaint and order number. They'll soon be in contact after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

hypermuse wrote: »

Just a note on MP that they are extremely slow in replying to e-mails, normally between 3-4 days, and they never seem to answer their phone either. That being said though, when they do eventually get around to dealing with a problem, they are very helpful.

Been hearing a few stories about people being unhappy with MP orders these days. Receiving the wrong order, wrong flavours, late orders, unhelpful customer service. Looking at their facebook page it definitely seems to be a recurring theme as well.

I hope they sort it out as they really are good quality products!

Oisín

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Oisinjm wrote: »
    Been hearing a few stories about people being unhappy with MP orders these days. Receiving the wrong order, wrong flavours, late orders, unhelpful customer service. Looking at their facebook page it definitely seems to be a recurring theme as well.

I hope they sort it out as they really are good quality products!

Oisín

They've gone to ****. Big and good range. Poor back office operations. Customer care is awful.

To keep ya informed at just how poor the customer service is.

I put in a ticket on their website informing them of the damaged goods I recieved on the 31st of Ocotober.

I reminded them that I was still waiting on a reply on the 2nd. Still no reply...

I then sent in another ticket on their website titled "this customer service is an absolute joke" requesting they respond to my original ticket.
    I eventually get a reply on the 5th of Novemeber to which I responded and provide photographic evidence of the damaged goods.

Next day (6th) they reply saying a replacment package will be sent out and I should get a dispatch email in 24-48hours.

Being patient I have bided my time and assumed something should show up at my door dispite not getting a dispatch email.

Here I am on the 12th after sending another email to them inquiring as to where my replacement product is. The whole company is a disaster....

A horrendous company that does not live up to the expectations placed on it by its quality products.

My patience with them is gone and I will certainly not be recommending them to anybody.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭will56

Does anyone know whey MP decided to change how they packaged the deliveries.
    The last 3/4 orders I received all had tears in the cardboard and one had a burst bag inside.
    Back when the started the cardboard was sturdier and the whole package was better protected.
    If its to save costs, surely that's being balanced out by the amount of orders they have to resend due to damaged items ?

Advertisement