Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supplements

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

One more question:
    When taking N.O. Xplode - whats the general consensus with taking a creatine supp?

As far as I understand it there's ~3g per serving, however I only take it pre-workout. So should I be taking a creatine supp on my days off?

Go on the loading phase first and saturate your muscles, post-loading phase continue you to take 5gm doses each day. So- yes to answer your question

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Are the prices in the Fitness Ireland shop (Smithfield) higher than the online prices?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Go on the loading phase first and saturate your muscles, post-loading phase continue you to take 5gm doses each day. So- yes to answer your question

Ya that's pretty much what I was thinking, not sure I really need the loading phase now but will up the amounts to 5gm per day.

Cheers all for the help!

Ya that's pretty much what I was thinking, not sure I really need the loading phase now but will up the amounts to 5gm per day.

Cheers all for the help!

If you read the side of your tub I'm sure theres instructions on it of how and when to take although I do recommend the loading phase for starting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭double GG

One more question:
    When taking N.O. Xplode - whats the general consensus with taking a creatine supp?

As far as I understand it there's ~3g per serving, however I only take it pre-workout. So should I be taking a creatine supp on my days off?

Yeah just hit 3-5g per day depending on your weight.

Absolutely no need to load at all. Just another way for companies to make you buy more. 3-5g is all that's needed.

• Advertisement

double GG wrote: »
    Absolutely no need to load at all. Just another way for companies to make you buy more. 3-5g is all that's needed.

Would have considered the loading phase important to saturate the muscles fast to get optimum performance and results?

Would have considered the loading phase important to saturate the muscles fast to get optimum performance and results?

Nope not necessary, many studies have been done and articles written on it. Taking the 20-25g for 5-7 days, produces the same saturated creatine levels in the muscle as taking your 'maintenance' 3-5g for 28 days.

So no point taking so much in this 'loading phase'. I know most Creatine is very cheap but still no need to load.

Nope not necessary, many studies have been done and articles written on it. Taking the 20-25g for 5-7 days, produces the same saturated creatine levels in the muscle as taking your 'maintenance' 3-5g for 28 days.

So no point taking so much in this 'loading phase'. I know most Creatine is very cheap but still no need to load.

Yeah but as you said yourself it takes a lot longer to saturate the muscles on 3-5g rather than 20-25g for 5-7 days and then going on 'maintenance phase post loading. Least you'll have the muscles saturated and begin to see results sooner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Yeah but as you said yourself it takes a lot longer to saturate the muscles on 3-5g rather than 20-25g for 5-7 days and then going on 'maintenance phase post loading. Least you'll have the muscles saturated and begin to see results sooner.

either way works but people complain about stomach cramps from creatine loading so 5g is the easier option.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭Danye

I'm looking at picking up some omega 3, vitamin D and some multi vitamins this weekend.

Are the likes of Holland & Barrets own brands of these mentioned products as good as the dearer versions that you would find in some supplement shops??

• Advertisement

But the results will be the exact same? There is no difference bar very slight gains earlier on, but no longer term benefits.

Ingesting 20g of creatine is a lot and can cause stomach cramps, nausea etc.. And like I said the cost of the Creatine is a big factor, so why bother taking the large quantities of Creatine and spending more money when the results will be the exact same?

Danye wrote: »
    I'm looking at picking up some omega 3, vitamin D and some multi vitamins this weekend.

Are the likes of Holland & Barrets own brands of these mentioned products as good as the dearer versions that you would find in some supplement shops??

Yeah most are the same. Just check the ingredients that there are no fillers, sweeteners etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭Danye

Yeah most are the same. Just check the ingredients that there are no fillers, sweeteners etc....

Having a look at some of them there and some of them do have bulking powders although they seem to have a high percentage of the RDA.

What do you think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

I was never a fan of holland and barret stuff, think its cheap for a reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Zombienosh wrote: »
    I was never a fan of holland and barret stuff, think its cheap for a reason.

You've not been in one of their stores for a while have you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭gene_tunney

Good job. :D

The creatine loading phase is one of the biggest myths circulating these days, up there with post-workout protein window.

The cholesterol loading phase is one of the biggest myths circulating these days, up there with post-workout protein window.

Those people being in the 'Must have a whey shake within 3.543 minutes of my workout finishing or the workout will be a waste of time' club.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭omeatheopian

Hi guys. Just wondering is there any advantage to either of these products? ON is almost 10 euro more expensive, and I was wondering is this justified? Is Kinetica a decent protein, or should I buy something else?

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Has anyone ever ordered from www.perfectbody.ie before?

They seem to have some great stock and pretty good prices - I can't find the stuff I'm looking for on MP...

Ordered off these guys last night and my stuff arrived today, great service!

Got a free shaker, Glucosamine tabs and some free samples too...

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭POSSY

You've not been in one of their stores for a while have you?

100% AGREE! Holland and Barrett is daylight robbery. Their whey protien is 30e for 2 lbs... doesn't compare well with (a far superior product) ON 100% GS Whey which you'll pick up in any nutrition store for about 60e for 5lbs.... plus I'd a look at the holland and barrett whey yday... looks a bit hight on the saturated fat side... if I recall correctly its like 70% protien and 10% fat vs ON which can (depending slightly on flavour) be up to 84% protien and 4% fat.

Holland and Barrett... it ain't cheap!

Hi guys. Just wondering is there any advantage to either of these products? ON is almost 10 euro more expensive, and I was wondering is this justified? Is Kinetica a decent protein, or should I buy something else?

Thanks in advance

Both made in the same factory, by the same company(Glanbia) from the same whey...Both the market leaders, only difference is that ON mixes better then Kinetica

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Oisinjm

Both made in the same factory, by the same company(Glanbia) from the same whey...Both the market leaders, only difference is that ON mixes better then Kinetica

Sorry, but you're wrong here. The only difference is not that Optimum Nutrition whey mixes better than Kinetica whey. It does, but there's also the different blends of proteins both have, different flavourings and taste and also they're not made in the same factories and Kinetica isn't owned by Glanbia as far as I know. A lot of what you hear in the gym off those "in the know" is a load of bóllox and they don't have a breeze what they're on about in terms of supplements.

Kinetica
    Biotein™ Protein Blend (Ultra Filtered Whey Protein Concentrate, Cross-Flow-Micro-filtered Whey Protein Isolate, Hydrolysed Whey Protein Concentrate)

Optimum Nutrition
    Protein Blend (Whey Protein Isolates*[contains Emulsifier: Soy leitchen], Whey Protein Concentrates*, Whey Peptides)

To answer the original question though. If you're just looking for a protein to aid with recovery, not counting every gram etc. and/or have your diet in check then there's no real need to spend the extra cash on ON. It'll do the job you need it for.

Oisín

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Good call Chimp, www.perfectbody.ie offers next day delivery plus a free gift :pac: Must have free gift.

Oisinjm wrote: »
    Sorry, but you're wrong here. The only difference is not that Optimum Nutrition whey mixes better than Kinetica whey. It does, but there's also the different blends of proteins both have, different flavourings and taste and also they're not made in the same factories and Kinetica isn't owned by Glanbia as far as I know.

Kinetica is owned by Carbery Dairies. They make Dubliner cheese

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

I'd like to say Optimum Nutrition Hydrobuilder is a great product.

Oisinjm wrote: »
    Sorry, but you're wrong here. The only difference is not that Optimum Nutrition whey mixes better than Kinetica whey. It does, but there's also the different blends of proteins both have, different flavourings and taste and also they're not made in the same factories and Kinetica isn't owned by Glanbia as far as I know. A lot of what you hear in the gym off those "in the know" is a load of bóllox and they don't have a breeze what they're on about in terms of supplements.

Kinetica

Optimum Nutrition

To answer the original question though. If you're just looking for a protein to aid with recovery, not counting every gram etc. and/or have your diet in check then there's no real need to spend the extra cash on ON. It'll do the job you need it for.

Oisín

Know someone who works for Kinetica, they are owned by glanbia(if not owned its the same whey, FACT).

I've tasted both, and used both as have many of my mates, they are very similar products

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

POSSY wrote: »
    100% AGREE! Holland and Barrett is daylight robbery. Their whey protien is 30e for 2 lbs... doesn't compare well with (a far superior product) ON 100% GS Whey which you'll pick up in any nutrition store for about 60e for 5lbs.... plus I'd a look at the holland and barrett whey yday... looks a bit hight on the saturated fat side... if I recall correctly its like 70% protien and 10% fat vs ON which can (depending slightly on flavour) be up to 84% protien and 4% fat.

Holland and Barrett... it ain't cheap!

ON range from 72.7%-82.5% for protein %.

H&B are part of a $4 Billion Dollar company, the same company own Solgar amongst many other brands.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

Know someone who works for Kinetica, they are owned by glanbia(if not owned its the same whey, FACT).

I've tasted both, and used both as have many of my mates, they are very similar products

It's not the same whey and it's not the same company.
    Carbery manufacture whey in Cork and Glanbia do likewise albeit elsewhere.

If the whey is manufactured in a similar manner it will not be that different and recipes will be similar in terms of amounts of flavour and sweetener used etc.

If you nip onto the Kinetica site it goes on about their heritage etc.

Why would a dairy buy whey from another dairy so they can enter the supplement market?

The whole point of a dairy buying or creating their own supplement company is to make more money off their own whey that they allocate to sports products.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭nbrady20009

The creatine loading phase is one of the biggest myths circulating these days, up there with post-workout protein window.

Neither of these are myths.

See: Suzuki et al. (1999) J Nutr Sci Vitaminol
    Burke et al. (2000) Dietary supplements and nutritional ergogenic aids in sport. Ch. 17 pp. 3455-553. In: Clinical Sports Nutrition (2nd ed.)

• Advertisement

Neither of these are myths.

See: Suzuki et al. (1999) J Nutr Sci Vitaminol
    Burke et al. (2000) Dietary supplements and nutritional ergogenic aids in sport. Ch. 17 pp. 3455-553. In: Clinical Sports Nutrition (2nd ed.)

I can't read either of the articles you posted but as I said before the loading phase is not neccessary and will yield the same results after 1 month.

Not sure what you mean about the other 'myth'

Advertisement