Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supplements

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

Also, creatine powder is cheaper in the long run compared to pills, for example- http://www.myprotein.com/ie/products/creatine-monohydrate

Compared to the 15e you pay for pills. When money comes your way I'd head down that route.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Well I take a serving before and after my workout. 10mins before and after, but thats just me,.

Just mix it with water, or what?

Also, creatine powder is cheaper in the long run compared to pills, for example- http://www.myprotein.com/ie/products/creatine-monohydrate

Compared to the 15e you pay for pills. When money comes your way I'd head down that route.

Isn't that the site people are currently having trouble with on here?

Isn't that the site people are currently having trouble with on here?

Yes but it was just an example but for arguments sake- http://www.bulkpowders.co.uk/creapure-creatine-monohydrate.html
    Just mix it with water, or what?

You can mix it in with your protein drinks after your work out or before hand have it with water or fruit juices if they fit into your kcal intake for the day.

Yes but it was just an example but for arguments sake- http://www.bulkpowders.co.uk/creapure-creatine-monohydrate.html

You can mix it in with your protein drinks after your work out or before hand have it with water or fruit juices if they fit into your kcal intake for the day.

The bit about taking with a carb source is something I've both read and been told, if I was to take it with glucose pre workout would that be as effective as fruit juice yeah? How much of a difference will it make for pre workout if its water or juice?

• Advertisement

The bit about taking with a carb source is something I've both read and been told, if I was to take it with glucose pre workout would that be as effective as fruit juice yeah? How much of a difference will it make for pre workout if its water or juice?

Tbh I won't give you advice on something I'm unsure about. Maybe someone more intuitive in the area might be able to help you with that. As for the juice or water, all I notice is taste. Juice is nicer than water thats for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

Tbh I won't give you advice on something I'm unsure about. Maybe someone more intuitive in the area might be able to help you with that. As for the juice or water, all I notice is taste. Juice is nicer than water thats for sure.

Im no expert but from all i've ever read the impression i get is that carbs/fruit juice (i take mine with grape juice before or in a shake with protein and glucose straight after training) is used because fast acting sugars help the body to absorb the creatine faster then say water. Its the same reason you take a fast acting carb after training to help the muscles absorb the protein from your shake quicker, you always here people talking about "the window" you have after training to maximise protein synthesis and i assume its the same thing for creatine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Im no expert but from all i've ever read the impression i get is that carbs/fruit juice (i take mine with grape juice before or in a shake with protein and glucose straight after training) is used because fast acting sugars help the body to absorb the creatine faster then say water. Its the same reason you take a fast acting carb after training to help the muscles absorb the protein from your shake quicker, you always here people talking about "the window" you have after training to maximise protein synthesis and i assume its the same thing for creatine.

It doesn't really matter. Creatine has its own delivery path if taken with just water iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Ant11

It doesn't really matter. Creatine has its own delivery path if taken with just water iirc.

+1. Time of digestion doesn't matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭hypermuse

When people keep going on bout oats and instant oats... they just mean porridge right? much of a difference? whats the craic with that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭DylanJM

Yes, oats refers to porridge. Instant oats usually refers to oats ground into a powder, handy for mixing into shakes and stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,195 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

DylanJM wrote: »
    Yes, oats refers to porridge. Instant oats usually refers to oats ground into a powder, handy for mixing into shakes and stuff.

AH!!!

I had no idea of this, I thought it was just porridge!

I got a free bag last time I ordered from My Protein.

What are the benefits of oats though? (Apologies if this is a silly question)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

there's also pinhead oats someone mentioned to me about being amazing, but I didn't like them. texture was all wrong.

Zombienosh wrote: »
    there's also pinhead oats someone mentioned to me about being amazing, but I didn't like them. texture was all wrong.

Agree with you there tbh.

MrStuffins wrote: »

Just a great source of slow digesting low GI good carbs :)

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭DEVOTION

Myprotein.co.uk

Easily the worst company I have ever dealt with on the Internet. Posting here as I heard about them from this forum.

I've never used them and after the stuff on here lately I never will

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

AH!!!

I had no idea of this, I thought it was just porridge!

I got a free bag last time I ordered from My Protein.

That stuff is just powdered porridge oats. Get the 1.5kilo bags from aldi and stick them in a blender. I've been doing it for a year now and it works out a fraction of the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭vigos

DEVOTION wrote: »
    Myprotein.co.uk

Easily the worst company I have ever dealt with on the Internet. Posting here as I heard about them from this forum.

I just put in an order the other day so am curious if I will get it or not. I paid for it with paypal so can alway open a dispute if it doesn't work out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

very surprised at all the myprotein problems! I have dealt with them once or twice and no issues! slow delivery maybe but not too bad!

discountsupplements are my site of choice though!

• Advertisement

So, I have been recently told that a Whey shake takes 1.5 hours to digest. And that your body can only digest 10g of Protein in an hour, so anything more than 15g of Protein in a whey shake is a bit of a waste.

How true is this exactly? Is the trick to drink it slowly over an hour or so?

where did you hear this?

Zombienosh wrote: »
    where did you hear this?

Read it in an article.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

So, I have been recently told that a Whey shake takes 1.5 hours to digest. And that your body can only digest 10g of Protein in an hour, so anything more than 15g of Protein in a whey shake is a bit of a waste.

Not at all.

People come in all different shapes and sizes and therefore the amount of protein they can consume and digest varies greatly.

A standard Maccy D's double cheeseburger probably has 30g of Protein.

There is no issue with sipping a shake over an hour or so - I do this whilst driving but my shake just made has 85g Chocolate Pure Whey and 500ml milk.

This is about 80g of actual protein.

There is no finite amount one can absorb - however you'll know if and when you have consumed too much!:)

Don't focus too much on articles like this just see what works for you etc.

The Guvnor wrote: »
    Not at all.

People come in all different shapes and sizes and therefore the amount of protein they can consume and digest varies greatly.

A standard Maccy D's double cheeseburger probably has 30g of Protein.

There is no issue with sipping a shake over an hour or so - I do this whilst driving but my shake just made has 85g Chocolate Pure Whey and 500ml milk.

This is about 80g of actual protein.

There is no finite amount one can absorb - however you'll know if and when you have consumed too much!:)

Don't focus too much on articles like this just see what works for you etc.

What shake is this? Seems good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Ant11

That myth has been debunk a long time ago. There a few threads about it too. Have a read of this.

http://www.leangains.com/2010/10/top-ten-fasting-myths-debunked.html?m=1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭double GG

What shake is this? Seems good.

I'm guessing it contains a few extra scoops of normal whey.

double GG wrote: »
    I'm guessing it contains a few extra scoops of normal whey.

I was thinking the same after I read the post again, hardly your average two heaped scoops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Ordered off MP on new years day. Get dispatch mail today saying delivery is on 15 January. It must be going on a mystery tour.

I think I'll use bulk powders for any big proper purchases.

• Advertisement

Ordered off MP on new years day. Get dispatch mail today saying delivery is on 15 January. It must be going on a mystery tour.

I think I'll use bulk powders for any big proper purchases.

I gave up on MyProtein ages ago, i find Bulkpowders are much better! ironscience are pretty good too but i got a dodgy tasting bag of isolate off them so gave up on them too (although they did give me a full refund to be fair to them)

Advertisement