Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supplements

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭colman1212

EileenG wrote: »
    Anyone I know who has used both would definitely go for the Nitrobolon, and not because of the price difference either.

I generally don't take it three times a day, usually before and after workouts. The first day I used it, I totally embarrassed my children by arriving at the end of a 10 mile cycle singing "Don't you wish your girlfriend was hot like me?"

I've just looked at the ingredients, way too many carbs and calories for me. The Nitrobolon has almost none.

But if you take it after a workout does that mean you can't take any protein as it says don't use any other supplements within 30 mins or something??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Dubdude wrote: »
    Ha ha would have loved to see that

They didn't!

colman1212 wrote: »
    But if you take it after a workout does that mean you can't take any protein as it says don't use any other supplements within 30 mins or something??

I normally take it as soon as I'm finished lifting, before I cool down. Then I shower and have my whey shake.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Dubdude

tommy57 wrote: »
    you can if you want though would,nt taste the best.you have to use a decent scoop of cell tech then your protein, you,d want a big shaker

Thanks tommy I was actually thinking about having the protein shake 1st and then having the cell tech

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭tommy57

Dubdude wrote: »
    Thanks tommy I was actually thinking about having the protein shake 1st and then having the cell tech

the only thing would be you would feel very bloated taking both of them one after the other.you should take the cell tech straight after training then within half an hour the protein drink.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Hi, I read through most of this thread but i had to stop around halfway because unfortunately i have work to do. Great info in this thread.

However i am getting swamped and i am hoping some kind soul can help me out.

Basically, i started back at pre season training for Rugby on Wednesday, i havent trained for two years. So i was fairly battered around despite my best efforts.

It is clear to me i will have to gain weight if i am to take it serious this year. I am interested in trying creatine or something like that but i dont know which is the best option for a beginner weight gain trainer.

I have pre season training every wednesday night until the end of June. I really could do with gaining a stone between now and then. As the players from last year will be returning then.

I am currently 5"9 and 12 stone 9 Pounds weight.

I am gonna do the starting starting strength program and i will be doing a good bit of Cardio.

My diet is not the best and my fitness is below par.

I know i am a mess but I really wanna make a good go of the Rugby this year.

Weight gain is the number one priority. So please someone help me out.

your going to find it difficult in that space of time and with the amount of cardio your doing.high protien and your carbs from pasta,potatoes and rice.the porridge in the morning, cut out the usual crap eg bread,drink ,fast digesting carbs.to put on a stone your going to put on a bit of fat with it.if i was you i,d aim for a more realistic 5lb to 7lb you,d be suprised with the size you,d gain from that extra few pound.take protien drinks and a decent creatine and bccs,s strsight after training .high protien food chicken ,tuna, white fish,maybe replace potatoes with sweet potatoes. pro nutrution on this thread would know better to what supplements to take.

tommy57 wrote: »
    your going to find it difficult in that space of time and with the amount of cardio your doing.high protien and your carbs from pasta,potatoes and rice.the porridge in the morning, cut out the usual crap eg bread,drink ,fast digesting carbs.to put on a stone your going to put on a bit of fat with it.if i was you i,d aim for a more realistic 5lb to 7lb you,d be suprised with the size you,d gain from that extra few pound.take protien drinks and a decent creatine and bccs,s strsight after training .high protien food chicken ,tuna, white fish,maybe replace potatoes with sweet potatoes. pro nutrution on this thread would know better to what supplements to take.

Cheers for the reply Tommy.

Unfortunately i have to do the Cardio aswell. My aerobic fitness is not good enough.

I just went out and bought a product called instant Milk and Egg Protein (Body Fortress)

The guy in the shop said its better to start with something like this.

"My body wouldnt be able for the muscle builder protein ones yet"

Is anyone familiar with this product?

never heard that before regards protein. if its milk its casein protein which is slower digesting,its best to take this type before you go to sleep as it supplies your body with protein through the night.its better to take whey protein before your workout and straight after as its faster digesting.though try get your protein from food during the day

• Advertisement

The second one might be. I'm cursing that I recycled the container of the one I had, so I can't compare. I don't want the one with lots of carbs in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭Brendygg

Quick question

One of my buddies who plays GAA wants to gain weight, I was telling him about the ON Serios Mass, he is wondering would it slow him down? Hell be playin junior intercounty football this summer.

I was thinkin it wouldnt but he mite lose a small bit of pace because of added mass to his body?

Cheers

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Package

hey guys,, heres my story.

im 5'6, 31, slim but half toned. right now, im 10 1/2 stone and wanna bulk up. im not chubby bot feel i have a bit of body fat going on, probably the whole living on fried and fatty food thing for years.

i aim to be in the gym 4-5 days per week, mixing cardio with weights.

i think i need a protein, or id like one anyway. maybe to help with muscle definition, but not to make me too big. just wanna see some results for my hard work, in shape rather than size..

what do you guys reccomend?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Would anyone place value on the recommendations given by Mens Health (June) for the protein, creatine etc products of the year?

Was looking to start with a creatine schedule, but firstly can't find the Lucozade Creatine powder they recommend, and secondly don't know when is the best time to take it in relation to protein shakes and actual work outs??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

connundrum wrote: »
    Would anyone place value on the recommendations given by Mens Health (June) for the protein, creatine etc products of the year?

Was looking to start with a creatine schedule, but firstly can't find the Lucozade Creatine powder they recommend, and secondly don't know when is the best time to take it in relation to protein shakes and actual work outs??

Haven't read it, but this is what I found;

"theyre mostly dextrose/glucose with a bit of creatine and a bit of maltodextrin (and a few additives such as citric acid, ascorbic acid and some E numbers..)

A pack of 14 tablets contains 10g creatine and 33g simple sugars.

that means you'd have to take half a pack (7 tablets) to get a good 5g creatine monohydrate, and with that you'd also be taking in 17g of sugar."

Absolute waste of time if you're only getting 10g per pack.

Best time to take creatine (imo) is a straight after a workout in your PWO shake (5-10g of creatine). Don't think it really matters on non-training days, just have it mid-afternoon or something I guess.

Get some regular run of the mill creatine monohydrate. It's been around the longest, it's the most cost effective and I've seen my best results with it.

Hanley wrote: »
    Haven't read it, but this is what I found;

"theyre mostly dextrose/glucose with a bit of creatine and a bit of maltodextrin (and a few additives such as citric acid, ascorbic acid and some E numbers..)

A pack of 14 tablets contains 10g creatine and 33g simple sugars.

that means you'd have to take half a pack (7 tablets) to get a good 5g creatine monohydrate, and with that you'd also be taking in 17g of sugar."

Absolute waste of time if you're only getting 10g per pack.

Best time to take creatine (imo) is a straight after a workout in your PWO shake (5-10g of creatine). Don't think it really matters on non-training days, just have it mid-afternoon or something I guess.

Get some regular run of the mill creatine monohydrate. It's been around the longest, it's the most cost effective and I've seen my best results with it.

Saw that on MH website alright. I was pretty sure that what they reviewed wasn't in tablet form though. Must have another read tonight, will post back when I get the facts straight.

Regardless of the Lucozade stuff, would you recommend run of the mill creatine monohydrate?

If so, when'd be the best time to take it?

Saw that on MH website alright. I was pretty sure that what they reviewed wasn't in tablet form though. Must have another read tonight, will post back when I get the facts straight.

Regardless of the Lucozade stuff, would you recommend run of the mill creatine monohydrate?

If so, when'd be the best time to take it?

;):D

;):D

Ah :o

Lesson. Learned.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

BSN - Nitrix!

Just looking through some of the ProNutrition offers for MMA athletes and seen the BNS Nitrix advertised. Looking through some of the product reviews (not PN but googled reviews) they seem hilarious:
    Your muscles will also become visibly fuller and much harder and you may also start to experience an increase in male size and performance.
    Your gains in lean mass should be unmistakable when you step on the scale and at this point everyone in the gym will be asking what you are taking.

But just wondering (as I've seen it advertised before), what is it actually? Is it a protein supplment? Creatine?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

Deedsie wrote: »
    I just went out and bought a product called instant Milk and Egg Protein (Body Fortress)

The guy in the shop said its better to start with something like this.

"My body wouldnt be able for the muscle builder protein ones yet"

Is anyone familiar with this product?

No that sounds like complete bollox tbh, firstly 2 of the main "muscle building proteins" are whey and casein which are both contained in milk. So I would assume that your getting both of these as the milk part of your milk protein.
    Albumin is also found in these "muscle building protein" supplements and this a protein found in egg white so this is probably in your supplement.

Body Fortress supplements are ****, go to a supplement store rather than the likes of Holland and Barret and get better protein and advice/recommendations from people who know what their talking about.

The last time I walked into a supplement store I asked for a recovery supplement and he went on to explain that people mean alot of things by recovery and asked what im recovering from before making a recommendation based on what I need, this is why I go to a supplement store, they know their **** instead of just making it up

• Advertisement

To quote myself - found this on Lucozade's website. Not for sale yet though.

http://www.lucozade.com/sport/products/strength/all-in-one-powder/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 bk7

Lads quick question,
    Which supplement would be more beneficial taking (for building muscle!), a creatine monohydrate or something like no explode??
    Anyone taken no explode before, what did you think about it?

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭agentgreen

Anyone no what time Mickks place on Camden St. closes at? The are not listed to ring them.

Thanks.

colly10 wrote: »
    No that sounds like complete bollox tbh, firstly 2 of the main "muscle building proteins" are whey and casein which are both contained in milk. So I would assume that your getting both of these as the milk part of your milk protein.
    Albumin is also found in these "muscle building protein" supplements and this a protein found in egg white so this is probably in your supplement.

Body Fortress supplements are ****, go to a supplement store rather than the likes of Holland and Barret and get better protein and advice/recommendations from people who know what their talking about.

The last time I walked into a supplement store I asked for a recovery supplement and he went on to explain that people mean alot of things by recovery and asked what im recovering from before making a recommendation based on what I need, this is why I go to a supplement store, they know their **** instead of just making it up

Cheers for that colly,

I have it opened now so i am gonna have to use some of it. I got it in Holland and barrett in Shannon. Is there a supplement store in Limerick does anyone know?

Your man wasnt very helpful to be honest. I am more confused now than when i started.

Gonna start taking it tonight after training.

bk7 wrote: »
    Lads quick question,
    Which supplement would be more beneficial taking (for building muscle!), a creatine monohydrate or something like no explode??

Cheers.
    i,d say creatine still the supplement for building, the no products supposedly give you good pumps. but long term i,d go with creatine and decent protein powder.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

bk7 wrote: »
    Lads quick question,

Cheers.

T-Nation seem to think the NO products are a big scam...

Of course they do. Wait til they start selling it, then they'll have one better than steroids.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

First line of that article should read... "Take a look at the history of nutritional supplements and you'll find many scams and cons, we know we sold most of them!"

kevpants wrote: »
    First line of that article should read... "Take a look at the history of nutritional supplements and you'll find many scams and cons, we know we sold most of them!"

Following on to say;

"There are many brands and products on the market which promise you superhuman results. These are all lies. NO supplement is a wonder drug....

UNTIL NOW!! Introducing the blankiest blank. Guaranteed to maxmize/minimize/pump/extend your weight loss/catabolism/your muslces like never before/your workouts beyond what you previously thought was humanly possible. Lead by our industry leading research team, and backed by hundreds of tests on real athletes, college kids and pro-bodybuilders alike, we are proud to present to you.... SUPERLATIVE.

Order now ---> cost = 1 kidney (or €10,000)"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

Following on to say;

"There are many brands and products on the market which promise you superhuman results. These are all lies. NO supplement is a wonder drug....

UNTIL NOW!! Introducing the blankiest blank. Guaranteed to maxmize/minimize/pump/extend your weight loss/catabolism/your muslces like never before/your workouts beyond what you previously thought was humanly possible. Lead by our industry leading research team, and backed by hundreds of tests on real athletes, college kids and pro-bodybuilders alike, we are proud to present to you.... SUPERLATIVE.

Order now ---> cost = 1 kidney (or €10,000)"
    speaking of this check this out!

http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/add_20_pounds_to_your_1rm_today

Advertisement