Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supplements

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Oh god I know.

It's almost as bad as that fcuking tip to do a max set of bent over rows before taking a max bench attempt because it would prime the muscles and make you stronger.

I love when theory meets the real world and gets laughed at.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Hanley wrote: »
    Of course they do. Wait til they start selling it, then they'll have one better than steroids.

TBH I don't know too much about it, I was actually looking for a recovery supp myself (for MMA) and doing a bit of research but T-Nation have slated both ON and Glutamine...

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

T-Nation have slated both ON and Glutamine...

Have you a link to their glutamine ripping?

Personally I'm wary of anything positive I read on any site that sells stuff. "Probably the best lager in the world" etc. :) But it's rare to see something ripped apart so I'd be interested in the read.

Glutamine is good for hospital patients and rich people with money to waste. If you’re involved in resistance training and already have proper post workout nutrition, along with a moderate carb intake, then glutamine probably won’t do anything for you. In fact, none of the proposed theories dealing with glutamine supplementation have worked out in the athletic world.

The website came up as T-Nation in google but when I went into it, it says TMuscle... Not sure if it's the same website but here's the links.
    Part 1

Part 2

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

T-Nation seem to think the NO products are a big scam...

I use them and they certainly arn't, there the only product you can actually feel working, you can actually feel the tingling through your hands after you drink it, NO shotgun is good btw, it's an NO supplement with about 20 grams of whey and creatine. I find it a little sickening though

• Advertisement

Deedsie wrote: »
    Your man wasnt very helpful to be honest. I am more confused now than when i started.

Gonna start taking it tonight after training.

Just forget everything he told ye and ye'll be alright :D
    If your looking for something for after training im currently using this recovery supplement and finding it good -
    http://www.optimumnutrition.com/products/211-recovery-p-252.html

Also used this stuff before for recovery and was happy with it -
    http://anabolicminds.com/store/1340.html

• Registered Users Posts: 8 baller06

Hi guys,
    I`m 18 and I`ve been going to the gym for about a year, but this summer I really wanted to get more serious and build up more muscle and get rid of excess fat. I recently bought a protein shake and I`m a bit confused whats the best way to use it because all the different internet websites seem to contradict themselves. Could anyone give me a bit of advice about the best way to use it? Also I was wondering how it should be used when I`m not in the gym and I`m out doing some running to burn fat. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Swizz

baller06 wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    I`m 18 and I`ve been going to the gym for about a year, but this summer I really wanted to get more serious and build up more muscle and get rid of excess fat. I recently bought a protein shake and I`m a bit confused whats the best way to use it because all the different internet websites seem to contradict themselves. Could anyone give me a bit of advice about the best way to use it? Also I was wondering how it should be used when I`m not in the gym and I`m out doing some running to burn fat. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

What protein did you get? You should take 1g of protein per 1.5lb of body weight everyday from various sources eg. tuna and chicken. Take it PWO if its just whey. Is it time releasing? Is it casein?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 949 ✭✭✭maxxie

Any know if its safe to take creatine while on roaccutane?

Any side effects eg risk to liver etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

Khannie wrote: »
    Have you a link to their glutamine ripping?

Personally I'm wary of anything positive I read on any site that sells stuff. "Probably the best lager in the world" etc. :) But it's rare to see something ripped apart so I'd be interested in the read.

They're not even allowed mention MuscleTech anymore!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 walktheline

Haven't read it, but this is what I found;

"theyre mostly dextrose/glucose with a bit of creatine and a bit of maltodextrin (and a few additives such as citric acid, ascorbic acid and some E numbers..)

A pack of 14 tablets contains 10g creatine and 33g simple sugars.

that means you'd have to take half a pack (7 tablets) to get a good 5g creatine monohydrate, and with that you'd also be taking in 17g of sugar."

Absolute waste of time if you're only getting 10g per pack.

Best time to take creatine (imo) is a straight after a workout in your PWO shake (5-10g of creatine). Don't think it really matters on non-training days, just have it mid-afternoon or something I guess.

Get some regular run of the mill creatine monohydrate. It's been around the longest, it's the most cost effective and I've seen my best results with it.
    Always been wary of lucazade range. Sugar in all its forms seems to be the order of the day. Creatine Mondhydrate been round for long time now and well proven. Loads of clinicals proving it efficacy. Stick to it from any one of the many suppliers and you will do fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Pro-Nutrition

maxxie wrote: »

Dude I have read before that it puts the liver under more pressure but then I have read about no side effects apart from the ones that go with the roaccutane. If I was you I would speak to your doc first just to be on the safe side.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭|MarK|

Hey guys, iv been thinking of getting some BCAA amino acids, can anyone give me some more info on them, like when to take them etc... i go the gym alot and like to get my protein from foods instead of shakes, should i even buy amino acids?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Pro-Nutrition

|MarK| wrote: »
    Hey guys, iv been thinking of getting some BCAA amino acids, can anyone give me some more info on them, like when to take them etc... i go the gym alot and like to get my protein from foods instead of shakes, should i even buy amino acids?

Hey Mark, BCAA are essential amino acids called leucine, isoleucine and valine which are essential for muscle building and can not be product by the body so its important to take them in through supplementation and food. Altogether there are 9 essential amino acids and they are histidine, isoleucine, leucine, lysine, methionine, phenylalanine, tryptophan, and valine. Our bodies can produce non essential aminos from Vits and other amino acids.

I would be taking in aminos before and directly after training. I hope this helps ya

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭SuperMario

Is progain any good guys.
    Im 6' 2 and 11 stone.
    Finding it impossible to put on muscle on arms etc, even though i eat like a horse.
    Would it be worth taking?????

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

SuperMario wrote: »
    i eat like a horse.
    How many calories a day do these horses eat?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭Esse85

rubadub wrote: »
    cartoon-horse-01.gif

rubadub wrote: »

This should answer your question regarding your concerns about how many calories horses eat :D

Activity Level Daily Calories

Maintenance Approximately 15,000 calories

Moderate work Approximately 25,000 calories

Heavy work Approximately 33,000 calories

http://www.dayvillesupply.com/doc/hay_calorie.htm

Now any useful advice??????

Don't buy progain

Now any other questions

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Yes, start really aiming for that amount ;)

Check out this to calculate an estimate of what you need to be eating.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=50956807&postcount=19

I would recommend getting this scale to work out your calories
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/8422996/Trail/searchtext%3ESALTER.htm

My point is most people I know who "eat loads" have no idea how much they eat. I know lads who eat in binges, people see this and think they eat lots all the time. I lived with a thin mate of mine for about 6 months and he really ate feck all. Another lad I know is ~6'3'' and also gets the "high metabolism" label, he can order €25 worth of food from the chinese & demolish it, but also go an entire day without eating and trains a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

maxxie wrote: »

While I'm not a doctor I was informed by my dermatologist a few years ago that its best to avoid it due to extra cramping risk. He wasn't sure though, and said in general he had no issues with creatine.

Is progain any good guys.
    Im 6' 2 and 11 stone.
    Finding it impossible to put on muscle on arms etc, even though i eat like a horse.
    Would it be worth taking?????

Take serious mass on whole milk instead, that does the job

colly10 wrote: »
    Take serious mass on whole milk instead, that does the job

I think he may need to supplement his eating like a horse with actually lifting something too!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Surely the most efficient method would just be to eat a horse?? You get the 15-30,000 kcals they've eaten, plus whatever kcals are in their muscles and sh!t too.

Win, no?

Surely the most efficient method would just be to eat a horse?? You get the 15-30,000 kcals they've eaten, plus whatever kcals are in their muscles and sh!t too.

Win, no?

I like your your style Mr.Hanley

I think he may need to supplement his eating like a horse with actually lifting something too!

I lift 4 times a week,
    Got programme from instructor in gym and i use that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

This should answer your question regarding your concerns about how many calories horses eat :D

Activity Level Daily Calories

Maintenance Approximately 15,000 calories

Moderate work Approximately 25,000 calories

Heavy work Approximately 33,000 calories

http://www.dayvillesupply.com/doc/hay_calorie.htm

Spend an evening or two with some horses in a field far far away, bring mushrooms. I think you'll find the answer you're looking for.

Hey Mark, BCAA are essential amino acids called leucine, isoleucine and valine which are essential for muscle building and can not be product by the body so its important to take them in through supplementation and food. Altogether there are 9 essential amino acids and they are histidine, isoleucine, leucine, lysine, methionine, phenylalanine, tryptophan, and valine. Our bodies can produce non essential aminos from Vits and other amino acids.

I would be taking in aminos before and directly after training. I hope this helps ya

Can anyone explain the differences between taking BCAA's and taking protein? As far as I know they both do the same thing, so why would you take one over the other?

Histidine isn't essisential is it?? i thought thee was only 8? i really need to start reading more!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Swizz

Anyone here ever use Scivation's Xtend?

I just ordered a small tub of the Grape flavour.

Advertisement