Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supplements

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,544 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Mass gainers are just oats and whey usually. If you dont like milk then just use water. Peanut butter added in is good also. TBH, you'd be mad to pay the prices they charge for a mass gainer.

Yeah, i'm just useless when it comes to making my own. I'll tell myself I'll make one later and I just keep putting it off and off. I'll give it another bash, can just use almond milk instead of regular milk. Have a ****load of peanut butter at home and I love bananas so it shouldn't be too hard to do.
    But butter
    Aware me on but butter?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

gvn wrote: »
    Was looking for a good multi-vitamin, saw this on TPW and decided to give it a go. One question, though: is their recommended 4 capsules per day not a bit ridiculous? Look at the nutritional chart (which is based off of two tablets) — pretty much everything is already well, well over 100% of the RDA. Surely 1 cap per day is more than enough, let alone 2 or 4?

RDA's are just minimums in most cases and are not calculated to provide maximum benefits.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,615 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

siblers wrote: »
    Aware me on but butter?

I don't know Ridley well enough to say he probably meant nut butter...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

I don't know Ridley well enough to say he probably meant nut butter...

Almond or maybe coconut?

RDA's are just minimums in most cases and are not calculated to provide maximum benefits.

Didn't know that. 4 still seems excessive... Might take one in the morning and one at night and see how that goes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,615 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

papu wrote: »
    Almond or maybe coconut?

Today's fact of the day: the coconut is not a nut.

Didn't know that. 4 still seems excessive... Might take one in the morning and one at night and see how that goes.

It may be excessive (wouldn't be the first time a company said you should take tons of their products) but as they are water soluble you'll just pee out the excess as your body cant store it. You should be able to roughly calculate what you need yourself though based on your diet and weight: 1 pill a day or 50mg a day as a RDA clearly is a very very general recommendation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

Screw you all:P I meant nut butter:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Didn't know that. 4 still seems excessive... .

It means you use the tub 4 times quicker and have to buy more. Those bastards are after your money, and your shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Casshern88

Was looking for a good multi-vitamin, saw this on TPW and decided to give it a go. One question, though: is their recommended 4 capsules per day not a bit ridiculous? Look at the nutritional chart (which is based off of two tablets) — pretty much everything is already well, well over 100% of the RDA. Surely 1 cap per day is more than enough, let alone 2 or 4?

I took Alpha male for a while, its myprotiens version of the same thing, Same as that 4 a day, I dropped it down to 2 a day, my piss was still radioactive yellow even though fully hydrated from pissing out excess vitimans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

Hi Guys

Doing a bit of thrawling through the thread but taking a bit of time. Can you give me a bit of guidance as to which is the best supplement to keep energy levels high. In particular I dont really want to bulk up, more to just tone up, albeit working hard to try to move some stomach fat. I do a fair bit in the gym but split it around 40/60 between aerobic and weights, and my diet is reasonable, but just want something to give an extra energy boost and aid in toning up.

Cheers

Edit - diet is mostly fruit for breakfast, soup or a salad for lunch, and dinner is either a salad or meat/fish +veg. Couple of cups of coffee/tea in between.

I'm just looking to get some whey and a few bits and pieces, is myprotein the handiest place to go? It seems the cheapest anyway. Also is there a referral code to put in for any discounts when signing up?

TheBazman wrote: »
    Hi Guys

Doing a bit of thrawling through the thread but taking a bit of time. Can you give me a bit of guidance as to which is the best supplement to keep energy levels high. In particular I dont really want to bulk up, more to just tone up, albeit working hard to try to move some stomach fat. I do a fair bit in the gym but split it around 40/60 between aerobic and weights, and my diet is reasonable, but just want something to give an extra energy boost and aid in toning up.

Cheers

Edit - diet is mostly fruit for breakfast, soup or a salad for lunch, and dinner is either a salad or meat/fish +veg. Couple of cups of coffee/tea in between.

A good sleep is your best bet. I am unaware of a supplement that can give you a day long energy boost. Sleep is essential to recovery anyway.

I'm just looking to get some whey and a few bits and pieces, is myprotein the handiest place to go? It seems the cheapest anyway. Also is there a referral code to put in for any discounts when signing up?

MP21349845

I looked for but didn't find a boards referral thread for them, so there is mine. There is also bulkpowders (referral tread for them here) and the protein works (referral thread here.

All those 3 are in and around the same price/quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Bit of a problem with myprotein today when I tried putting through an order. I'm currently working abroad but when I went to enter a new delivery address my only option was Ireland. Couldn't change the country at all. Anyone ever have this happen? I've contacted them about it already but thought I'd get a quicker answer here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

anyone know what courier the various companies (Bulkpowders, TPW, Discount Supplements, etc) use?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

anyone know what courier the various companies (Bulkpowders, TPW, Discount Supplements, etc) use?

Bulkpowders is DPD and I've found them excellent to deal with normally stuff arrives within 3 working day

I think discount supps use DPD too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,544 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Water
    Whey
    But butter
    Banana

Blend et voila!
    Been making these since I posted in here. Almond milk split 50/50 with water, peanut butter and bananas. So much nicer than the mass gainer I was using and higher kcal and protein content too.

siblers wrote: »
    Been making these since I posted in here. Almond milk split 50/50 with water, peanut butter and bananas. So much nicer than the mass gainer I was using and higher kcal and protein content too.

Gala to hear it:D

• Advertisement

bulkpowders and myprotein both use DPD

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Foleymoley

Going to give myprotein a bash. Anyone got a referrel code for me to use?

MP21349845

edit: we should probably have a thread for special offers too - they had 10% off on the 11th.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭cagefactor

I like myprotein but I am very skeptical about the quality. How can they be undercutting every other company by so much. Choco Mint is nicer than ON's for me, banana is also ok for mixing with yoghurt. For casein though, the chocolate flavour isn't great and it doesn't mix as good as other casein's.

At the moment I'm finding Musclepharm Chocolate to the best chocolate whey I've ever tasted.

Myprotein - MP17807265
    iherb - PTQ066

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

cagefactor wrote: »
    I like myprotein but I am very skeptical about the quality. How can they be undercutting every other company by so much. Choco Mint is nicer than ON's for me, banana is also ok for mixing with yoghurt. For casein though, the chocolate flavour isn't great and it doesn't mix as good as other casein's.

At the moment I'm finding Musclepharm Chocolate to the best chocolate whey I've ever tasted.

Myprotein - MP17807265
    iherb - PTQ066

As far as I know the quality is meant to be pretty reliable. According to some guy who done a load of tests on different protein powders to determine how true to their protein content they were. Myprotein was in the top 3 for the closest to what they state. I could dig it up if you're interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭cagefactor

Blacktie. wrote: »
    As far as I know the quality is meant to be pretty reliable. According to some guy who done a load of tests on different protein powders to determine how true to their protein content they were. Myprotein was in the top 3 for the closest to what they state. I could dig it up if you're interested.

Looked on google, found lots of people asking the same question but didnt find definite independent tests. Have you got a link ?

cagefactor wrote: »
    I like myprotein but I am very skeptical about the quality. How can they be undercutting every other company by so much.

myprotein, bulkpowders and theprotein works are all within .01 cent per gram of protein of each other. The question you should be asking is how do the madly overpriced products like holland and barret and ON get away with charging so much. Whey is a by product of cheese production that is denatured and then mixed with a flavouring. Its not expensive to produce.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

until recently it was a waste product. something cheese and milk producers had to pay to get hauled off probably to farms or other industries or destroyed.

like runawaybishop says dont ask how they undercut, ask how they charge so much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 FitnessFactor

They charge so much because they can. A lot of people will stick to the well known brand. And there is always this belief that expensive means good.

• Advertisement

Plus advertising and sponsorship and the like.

Advertisement