Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supplements

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

Swizz wrote: »
    Anyone here ever use Scivation's Xtend?

I just ordered a small tub of the Grape flavour.

How many supplements do you have at this stage!?

How much did you pay for that extend stuff? had a quick look it seems to be BCAAs basically

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Swizz

How much did you pay for that extend stuff? had a quick look it seems to be BCAAs basically

Ive only bought one tub of protein (blend). Thats all. I posted alot about em cos I wasnt sure which one to get/ and get recommendations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭newby.204

anybody supplementing with BCAAs? what brand are you using?? where do you get em? you on tabs or powder?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

newby.204 wrote: »
    anybody supplementing with BCAAs? what brand are you using?? where do you get em? you on tabs or powder?
    I think amazingemmet was using them and getting them from myprotein.co.uk I was thinking of getting some myself, it is quite expensive so I didn't bother think it is relatively cheap on that site though. They have reviews there and most are strongly advising against the powder since it tastes disgusting, so I was going to go with tabs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

A lot of the optimum nutrition stuff has BCAAs included in the blend

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

If you're getting BCAA's you really need to get them in tab or capsule form.

http://www.predatornutrition.com/search_advanced1.cfm?txtManufacturer_Name=Scivation

http://www.cheapuksupplements.com/shop/section.php/74/1/scivation/ac6f4ca3826e03c8867596e6db3fb258

Shipping is like 5 GBP on from the second link and ~7GBP from the first. Theres a big difference if you buy the larger tub. 3 times the serving for ~2 the price

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭newby.204

was going get them in tab form just not sure what brand/website to go for they all have different mixes.

http://www.predatornutrition.com/pd-bcaa-plus-180-capsules.cfm
    http://www.cheapuksupplements.com/shop/product.php/726/bcaa_complex_2200
    http://www.myprotein.co.uk/capsules-tablets-softgels/sports-supplements/bcaa-plus/
    http://www.tmuscle.com/productInfo.do?id=1123403

I am looking to supplement optnut whey and my training with bcaa's, im looking round for the best value, in terms of qauntity of tabs per container, quantity of bcaa's, and dosing.

most of the serving sizes are misleading, for e.g. tnation says the above has 84 servings/252tabs based on a serving of 3 tabs, however if you read their suggested dose(4-6 tabs x3 daily) its 12 tabs a day on or off training, doing the maths, while this is the highest dose ive found, it only lasts 21days!!and if you take 6 tabs x3 daily its 15.75 days

So before i endeavour to remortgage anyone suggest a none money grabbing serving/dosing or is this how you are ment to take them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Imenselore

Hey,Im looking for advice on supplements but also a program for building muscle.At this stage Ive read countless forum's and what not,yet I'm still confused.
    I've bought a multi purpose weight bench,and am planning on doing a 5day a week programme,or is this to much?,with the use of supplements is this achieveable??
    The supplements I was looking at were creatine,(can you recommend one) and some sort of protein like whey.Do I need both?Do I take them together??
    I'm about 6 1ish and 140-145pounds so i'm looking to bulk up somewhat.
    Any advice greatly appreciated...

EDIT Wrong topic oops!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

Imenselore wrote: »
    Hey,Im looking for advice on supplements but also a program for building muscle.At this stage Ive read countless forum's and what not,yet I'm still confused.
    I've bought a multi purpose weight bench,and am planning on doing a 5day a week programme,or is this to much?,with the use of supplements is this achieveable??
    The supplements I was looking at were creatine,(can you recommend one) and some sort of protein like whey.Do I need both?Do I take them together??
    I'm about 6 1ish and 140-145pounds so i'm looking to bulk up somewhat.
    Any advice greatly appreciated...

I would start eating a lot more than you are currently and lifting heavy. Just forgetting supplements for a minute cause they won't work miracles, you need to eat. 10 stone is crazy light for someone at 6"1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

Hey
    could anyone tell me if there are any supplements which will increase muscle size without putting in any/much work yourself?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

poisonated wrote: »
    Hey
    could anyone tell me if there are any supplements which will increase muscle size without putting in any/much work yourself?
    Thanks

No.

Not even anabolic steroids will do that for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

poisonated wrote: »
    Hey
    Thanks

Try Powerthirst.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Imenselore

colly10 wrote: »
    I would start eating a lot more than you are currently and lifting heavy. Just forgetting supplements for a minute cause they won't work miracles, you need to eat. 10 stone is crazy light for someone at 6"1

I think I eat quite abit?here's my diet;
    6:30/7:30-2* weetabix + glass of water/oj

10:00/10:30-Brown bread chicken fillet sandwich sliced red cheader cheese,500ml supermilk,200g of dry roasted nuts

13:00/13 30-200g dry roasted nuts,water and bar of chocalate (may need to eat more here?)

17:00/18:00-varies-roast chicken,pork,steak,homemade chicken curry,spuds,carrots,sweetcorn,roast parsnip,the odd shepards pie

19:30/20:00-on occassion ham + cheese sandwich

I'm quite active,work on a building site,started playing football again 1hr a week,and have just started 10-20mins on bike before 50-60min weight training,5days a week.

Any reason why you think supplements wont be benifical to me?

Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭jimmyskank

Hi Lads, just wondering are the tablet form of creatine any less effective than the powder form, and what brand of tablet form can anyone recommend? :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

mloc wrote: »
    No.

Not even anabolic steroids will do that for you.
    +1
    This is what the power of marketing can achieve..people asking can supplements bulk you up without having to lift weights...and jesus wept.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Always been wary of lucazade range. Sugar in all its forms seems to be the order of the day. Creatine Mondhydrate been round for long time now and well proven. Loads of clinicals proving it efficacy. Stick to it from any one of the many suppliers and you will do fine.

You hear that,Hanley..everything is going to be okay if you follow his advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Degsy wrote: »
    +1
    people asking can supplements bulk you up without having to lift weights...and jesus wept.

Bill Hicks quotes in the Supp thread :confused:

Degsy wrote: »
    +1
    This is what the power of marketing can achieve..people asking can supplements bulk you up without having to lift weights...and jesus wept.

The ultimate in face-palm-ery

jesus-wept.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 baryn

Imenselore wrote: »
    I think I eat quite abit?here's my diet;
    6:30/7:30-2* weetabix + glass of water/oj

10:00/10:30-Brown bread chicken fillet sandwich sliced red cheader cheese,500ml supermilk,200g of dry roasted nuts

13:00/13 30-200g dry roasted nuts,water and bar of chocalate (may need to eat more here?)

17:00/18:00-varies-roast chicken,pork,steak,homemade chicken curry,spuds,carrots,sweetcorn,roast parsnip,the odd shepards pie

19:30/20:00-on occassion ham + cheese sandwich

I'm quite active,work on a building site,started playing football again 1hr a week,and have just started 10-20mins on bike before 50-60min weight training,5days a week.

Any reason why you think supplements wont be benifical to me?

Cheers.

Hi your diet looks Ok but you must have some casein protein about 30 min before sleep. Very important when You working like You do. protein might comes from cottage chease or from protien powder. any other time of the day meal must contain some protein carbs fats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 CheeseBomb

I think you are taking in way to much saturated fat, you may be burning off the calories but could be uping the cholesterol. Also not enough fruit n veg. At least 5 a day (2-3 ptns of which should be fruit).

CheeseBomb wrote: »
    I think you are taking in way to much saturated fat, you may be burning off the calories but could be uping the cholesterol. Also not enough fruit n veg. At least 5 a day (2-3 ptns of which should be fruit).

Here we go again...

Saturated fat is good. Cholesterol generally speaking does not arise from intake of saturated fat, nor from cholesterol present in food.

Here we go again...

Saturated fat is good. Cholesterol generally speaking does not arise from intake of saturated fat, nor from cholesterol present in food.

If fat makes you fat, then carbs make you.... carb???

I think that'll be my standard reply to this topic from now on.

Hanley wrote: »
    If fat makes you fat, then carbs make you.... carb???

I think that'll be my standard reply to this topic from now on.

You're kinda right, carbs make you carb AND fat. They certainly keep glycogen stores up better than fat does.

You're kinda right, carbs make you carb AND fat. They certainly keep glycogen stores up better than fat does.

Not working with me here.... I guess you could argue that protein makes you protein (more muscular). Looks like my poor attempt at logic has had the opposite effect to the one I wanted.

Protein makes you more muscular, carbs replenish glycogen stores (ie make you "carb"), so fat MUST make you fat!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 CheeseBomb

ok well I'll leave you to that way way of thinking, not going to get into this. Good luck.

Here we go again...

Nuff said son!

Swizz wrote: »

Nuff said son!

Ah yeah, sure what would I know. I'm only a scientist studying fatty acid metabolism. I wouldn't have a clue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

jimmyskank wrote: »
    Hi Lads, just wondering are the tablet form of creatine any less effective than the powder form, and what brand of tablet form can anyone recommend? :confused:

This is something I've been wondering about too. I don't really like the taste of creatine in a shake/juice so prefer to take in tablet form.

Anyone know if it's any less effective?

Advertisement