Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supplements

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Does anyone have any experience with taking ZMA tablets? Ordered some from Gonutrition to help me sleep after taking Creatine.

I have taken zinc and magnesium tablets for a while now. I haven't spotted any side effects, but i am a good sleeper anyway.

I don;t understand why you'd mention creatine though?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

Dreams will become more vivid from zinc and magnesium as you fall into a deeper sleep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭saucers82

anyone got any current MyProtein codes?

groupie15 works all the time apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,372 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

just reading up a bit about supplements and a couple of people have been making a distinction between mineral supplements and plant based ones. Is it something to watch out for? the basic logic being that we are not designed to "eat rocks" but need plants to process minerals into a form that we can use

http://www.doctorsresearch.com/articles3.html

While plants are designed to ingest and break-down minerals, humans are not. The truth about nearly all minerals in supplements is that they are really industrial chemicals made from processing rocks with one or more acids. The consumption of this “other half” of the mineral compound is not only unnatural, it can lead to toxicity concerns. Humans were designed to eat food and to get their minerals from foods. Foods DO NOT naturally contain minerals bound to substances such as picolinic acid, carbonates, oxides, phosphates, etc. When supplementation is indicated, only supplements made from 100% food should be considered for supporting optimal health.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement

silverharp wrote: »
    just reading up a bit about supplements and a couple of people have been making a distinction between mineral supplements and plant based ones. Is it something to watch out for? the basic logic being that we are not designed to "eat rocks" but need plants to process minerals into a form that we can use

http://www.doctorsresearch.com/articles3.html

Getting vitamins from food would be better than taking a multivitiman, sure. I'd take that article witha pince of salt though, the guy runs a company selling the products he is talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,372 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Getting vitamins from food would be better than taking a multivitiman, sure. I'd take that article witha pince of salt though, the guy runs a company selling the products he is talking about.

Point taken, but to be clear was talking about plant based supplements. So is it just natural product sellers hyping up what they have to sell?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

groupie15 works all the time apparently.

What does that give?

Gummy Panda: 15% off
    silverharp wrote: »
    Point taken, but to be clear was talking about plant based supplements. So is it just natural product sellers hyping up what they have to sell?

Looks like it. You would get more minerals (iron, zinc etc) from meat than from plant sources which kinda belie the thrust of his argument that we cant absorb them effectively. The minerals he refers to enter the food chain pretty much the same way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

Need a new stim based pre-workout

Any recommendations? Just finished a tub of ON Pre which was good but looking to switch it up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

Need a new stim based pre-workout

Any recommendations? Just finished a tub of ON Pre which was good but looking to switch it up

Try this http://gonutrition.com/volt you can use my referral code if you want and you'll get 250g free whey protein. NKXVF0

Try this http://gonutrition.com/volt you can use my referral code if you want and you'll get 250g free whey protein. NKXVF0

Only saw this now, thanks for the link, might use next time.

Ended up buying NO Explode and I have to say it's brilliant. Nice tast, great focus and energy

Much better than ON Pre which tastes pretty horrible and gives you an itch I don't like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Just ordered unflavoured whey and bcaas from MyProtein. I'll give some feedback when I get them.

How long do they typically take to arrive? I ordered today (Wednesday) at 7pm.

Dermighty wrote: »
    Just ordered unflavoured whey and bcaas from MyProtein. I'll give some feedback when I get them.

How long do they typically take to arrive? I ordered today (Wednesday) at 7pm.

2-3 days. I've ordered on a Monday night and had them on Wednesday.

2-3 days. I've ordered on a Monday night and had them on Wednesday.

I'm guessing getting it by Friday is unlikely?

Its not impossible, but i would expect them Monday really.

Its not impossible, but i would expect them Monday really.

Cool, thanks. Badly need the bcaas, took up swimming recently and all sorts of muscles I never knew I had are sore :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

The itch is down to the Beta Alanine - some people like Beta Alanine and others are not a fan.

The problem is it is quite an affordable ingredient and so is in a lot of PWO's at a decent level say 2g-3g which is fine, more 2g than 3g imo.

Problem is most PWO's are not strong and require the user to double the dose - meaning you end up with a lot of Beta Alanine which causes the uncomfortable itch you felt.

Look out for too much caffeine or similar as this may give a buzz or rush of what can be seen as energy but they act as a vasoconstrictor and actually counteracts a pump.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 24 bodybuilder11

Love Jack3d now its gone. Went on to Crazed, liked it, now it's gone. Wondering what people would recommend next? Also if you could tell if they come with the tingles?

I'm thinking:

Musclepharm Assault
    or
    Cellucor C4 Extreme

Cellucor c4 the best and still very cheap only 23.00 eur. jack3d was over 30.00.

Cellucor c4 the best and still very cheap only 23.00 eur. jack3d was over 30.00.

Where would you pick up Cellucor c4? Is it stim based?

• Advertisement

Where would you pick up Cellucor c4? Is it stim based?

Great product and it delivers the insane energy and focus. The last time you bought here http://fitnessnutrition.ie/index.php?route=product/product&path=60_70&product_id=87
    You can go there to read about the product. Green apple my favorite, but all the flavors are very good.

Got my order from MyProtein.

The whey is good, tastes fine, seems to digest easier than other brands I've tried.

The bcaas taste really bad, worse than I'd imagined but I don't buy these things for the taste anyway and I've noticed an improvement in my recovery since I started taking them.

Overall, I'd be happy to order from them again.

€55 for 2.5kg of impact whey and 500g of bcaas (both unflavoured).

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Oisinjm

The whey is good, tastes fine, seems to digest easier than other brands I've tried.

The bcaas taste really bad, worse than I'd imagined but I don't buy these things for the taste anyway and I've noticed an improvement in my recovery since I started taking them.

Yeah unfortunately I made the mistake of bulk buying unflavoured BCAAs before as well. Buy one of the myprotein flavour droppers with your next order and it'll help mask the taste somewhat!

Have you ever used Mutant Whey protein ?

Oisinjm wrote: »
    Yeah unfortunately I made the mistake of bulk buying unflavoured BCAAs before as well. Buy one of the myprotein flavour droppers with your next order and it'll help mask the taste somewhat!

I don't mind the taste, the bcaas are purely functional. I was surprised at how bad they taste though :P
    Have you ever used Mutant Whey protein ?

The PVL mutant whey? I haven't tried it. A friend uses their mutant mass and swears by it.

I haven't tried all the brands but I've tried a good few. By far the easiest to digest was Gaspari Myofusion probiotic but I found if you are having more than one serving a day it affects your digestion too much (it's most likely intended to be used once a day).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Does anyone know what the flavoured BCAAs from myprotein are like? I've tried unflavoured and don't plan on ever doing that again!

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Blacktie. wrote: »
    Does anyone know what the flavoured BCAAs from myprotein are like? I've tried unflavoured and don't plan on ever doing that again!

Unflavoured is stink but mixing it with ribena etc made it palatable..

Their "berry blast" flavour is actually nice

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭AlanDeGenerous

Need some advice on pre-workout supplements. I've started to go to the gym before work in the mornings but my productivity is definitely suffering as a result. Usually have porridge with banana beforehand. Could anyone recommend a product? I'm wary of taking something early in the morning and then crashing at around 12pm when I'm at the office.

Need some advice on pre-workout supplements. I've started to go to the gym before work in the mornings but my productivity is definitely suffering as a result. Usually have porridge with banana beforehand. Could anyone recommend a product? I'm wary of taking something early in the morning and then crashing at around 12pm when I'm at the office.

A pre workout supplement will most likely help you with the workout but I don't think it will stop the 12pm crash as most of them have a lot of caffeine (Optimum Nutrition Pre has 160mg of caffeine per serving, for reference a regular 250ml can of Red Bull has 80mg of caffeine)

Something I did use which really averted the 12pmish crash is a bulletproof style coffee. Long story short you make a coffee and blend it with coconut oil and unsalted butter (butter is optional). Don't mix it, makes sure you blend it with a blender/mixer/whatever. Youtube and Google will have loads of tutorials and examples, I found it gave me a very noticeable and sustained energy boost for hours.

Here's a video for you, I set it to skip ahead but you can watch it fromt he start to get an explanation of the ingredients. I can't overstate how noticeable the energy boost from this is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭AlanDeGenerous

A pre workout supplement will most likely help you with the workout but I don't think it will stop the 12pm crash as most of them have a lot of caffeine (Optimum Nutrition Pre has 160mg of caffeine per serving, for reference a regular 250ml can of Red Bull has 80mg of caffeine)

Something I did use which really averted the 12pmish crash is a bulletproof style coffee. Long story short you make a coffee and blend it with coconut oil and unsalted butter (butter is optional). Don't mix it, makes sure you blend it with a blender/mixer/whatever. Youtube and Google will have loads of tutorials and examples, I found it gave me a very noticeable and sustained energy boost for hours.

Here's a video for you, I set it to skip ahead but you can watch it fromt he start to get an explanation of the ingredients. I can't overstate how noticeable the energy boost from this is.

Cheers for that info. Was looking into this:

http://www.hpnutrition.ie/Grenade-Fat-Burner-100-Caps?filter_name=grenade

As it'll serve as both a PWO and help me burn off the few extra pounds that I gained over the Christmas period. The amount of caffeine per serving is frightening though, might stick to one pill and work my way up if required.

That coffee looks the job as well... all I need now is a blender in the office :o

Advertisement