Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supplements

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

Fed up with eating all day, thinking of trying a gainer but never had one.

What are people's experience with them

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

stuchyg wrote: »
    Fed up with eating all day, thinking of trying a gainer but never had one.

What are people's experience with them

expensive oats! Just make your own shake up - milk, whey, oats and peanut butter.

Cheers for that info. Was looking into this:

http://www.hpnutrition.ie/Grenade-Fat-Burner-100-Caps?filter_name=grenade

As it'll serve as both a PWO and help me burn off the few extra pounds that I gained over the Christmas period. The amount of caffeine per serving is frightening though, might stick to one pill and work my way up if required.

That coffee looks the job as well... all I need now is a blender in the office :o

It won't help burn anything off, don't think it will. Eating less and moving more is what you need to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭AlanDeGenerous

It won't help burn anything off, don't think it will. Eating less and moving more is what you need to do.

It's been getting some pretty good reviews across the board. Am waiting till pay day to make a purchase though so I'll have a look elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

It's been getting some pretty good reviews across the board. Am waiting till pay day to make a purchase though so I'll have a look elsewhere.

This pills are usually some kind of appetite suppressant and caffeine. You don't burn more calories you just end up eating less.

• Advertisement

It will be fine as a pre-workout due to the caffeine, but it wont burn any fat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭cletus van damme

expensive oats! Just make your own shake up - milk, whey, oats and peanut butter.

i'd second this -

if you make a smoothie with oats, whey, fruit , peanut butter and 300 - 350 mls of full fat milk - you'll be hit 800- 1000cals easy enough.

lash 1 or 2 a day in - on top of meals and you'll bump calories in handy enough,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭cletus van damme

using trec whey 100 .

serving is 2 scoops = 30g.
    noticed that the amount of powder is a lot more than the normal 30g scoop.

so weighted it - 2 scoops is 40g on my electronic scale.

bah...

• Registered Users Posts: 26 fitness factor

Dermighty wrote: »
    A pre workout supplement will most likely help you with the workout but I don't think it will stop the 12pm crash as most of them have a lot of caffeine (Optimum Nutrition Pre has 160mg of caffeine per serving, for reference a regular 250ml can of Red Bull has 80mg of caffeine).

Nowadays many brands go for pre-workouts based on nitric oxide, "particle of life" some call it, instead of just caffeine. Some utilise as well nitric oxide precursors like arginine etc.

Still, when taking any pre-workout try to stay away from coffee for the rest of the day.
    Your heart will thank you :).

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭AlanDeGenerous

It will be fine as a pre-workout due to the caffeine, but it wont burn any fat.

Can you recommend a different pre-workout supplement you think would be better?

• Advertisement

Can you recommend a different pre-workout supplement you think would be better?

Honestly a strong cup of coffee is your bet best. Just cut down on caffeine during the day.

Have pre workouts only taken off in the last year or two? I never heard about them before then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

Just thrown this together in MFP

100g Oats
    Tablespoon PB
    2 Scoops MyProtein Whey
    Banana
    250mls Full Milk

1134 Cals, 121g of carbs,66g of fat & 82g of Protein.

Do ye reckon that would do the trick, I reckon it would cost me about €30 for a months worth of shakes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

100g Oats
    Tablespoon PB
    2 Scoops MyProtein Whey
    Banana
    250mls Full Milk

Do ye reckon that would do the trick, I reckon it would cost me about €30 for a months worth of shakes

Sounds good but might be a bit gloopy. I'd add in more liquid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Sounds good but might be a bit gloopy. I'd add in more liquid.

If you have a coffee grinder or herb grinder, use it to blend the oats into a fine powder and it'll mix fairly well

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

If you have a coffee grinder or herb grinder, use it to blend the oats into a fine powder and it'll mix fairly well

I doubt it but he's open to try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

I doubt it but he's open to try.

I do it for my oats and flax seed and find it good for mixing meal replacement shakes when I'm on long road journeys

100g Oats
    Tablespoon PB
    2 Scoops MyProtein Whey
    Banana
    250mls Full Milk

This used to be my go to shake. You will gain with this! Throw in some frozen fruit to make it taste great!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

Blacktie. wrote: »
    Have pre workouts only taken off in the last year or two? I never heard about them before then.

In the last 4 to 5 years big time. A lot of People are under the illusion they need to take one before training just about every day.

Some are the same people who give out that a certain one isn't great and it doesn't work etc when really it's the simple matter of their caffeine tollerance being too high which in turn needs to be reset.

If I was you I'd stay away from them or at least use in moderation because they can play havoc on your body's natural production of energy, your CNS and adrenal glands, it's artificial stimulation tbh.

In the last 4 to 5 years big time. A lot of People are under the illusion they need to take one before training just about every day.

Some are the same people who give out that a certain one isn't great and it doesn't work etc when really it's the simple matter of their caffeine tollerance being too high which in turn needs to be reset.

If I was you I'd stay away from them or at least use in moderation because they can play havoc on your body's natural production of energy, your CNS and adrenal glands, it's artificial stimulation tbh.

O I have no interest in taking them at all. It was just something I've only heard about in the last few years. Companies must have run out of new names for protein so moved onto pre workouts...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Deedsie wrote: »

True whey is a whey blend of wpc and wpi with a premium flavouring system e.g. it tastes better then impact whey

Total protein is a blend of milk protein concentrate, whey protein concentrate and egg albumin. The idea is it gives a mix of different proteins that digest at different speeds. In reality it would make very little differeence.

True whey is a whey blend of wpc and wpi with a premium flavouring system e.g. it tastes better then impact whey

Total protein is a blend of milk protein concentrate, whey protein concentrate and egg albumin. The idea is it gives a mix of different proteins that digest at different speeds. In reality it would make very little differeence.

Thanks for the reply. Basically would I be better off paying €71.99 for 5kg's of total protein rather than €49.09 for 5lbs of True Whey. Better value?

I got True Whey off myprotein in my last order back in October 2012. I have only finished it now.

Whatever I order I intend to use it with a pouch of creatine monohydrate that I bought with my previous order. As you can see I am a little confused with supplements.

At present I usually just have a True Whey protein shake after each gym session. I only have shakes on days I am in the gym.

Thanks for the reply. Basically would I be better off paying €71.99 for 5kg's of total protein rather than €49.09 for 5lbs of True Whey. Better value?

I got True Whey off myprotein in my last order back in October 2012. I have only finished it now.

Whatever I order I intend to use it with a pouch of creatine monohydrate that I bought with my previous order. As you can see I am a little confused with supplements.

At present I usually just have a True Whey protein shake after each gym session. I only have shakes on days I am in the gym.

You'd be better off paying €57 for 5kg of Impact Whey and not falling prey to the suave marketing of the more "advanced" variants.

gvn wrote: »
    You'd be better off paying €57 for 5kg of Impact Whey and not falling prey to the suave marketing of the more "advanced" variants.

Oh very good, I am glad I asked now. I got the chocolate mint flavour the last time and I thought it was very nice. Will the impact whey taste similar to the true whey?

Would people here take protein shakes every day of the week and not just on gym days?

My diet is terrible and I do require the supplementation of protein into my diet.

Oh very good, I am glad I asked now. I got the chocolate mint flavour the last time and I thought it was very nice. Will the impact whey taste similar to the true whey?

Would people here take protein shakes every day of the week and not just on gym days?

My diet is terrible and I do require the supplementation of protein into my diet.

Spend a few days tracking your food with myfitnesspal or a similar app. This means weighing it as well. A protein shake is just a means of getting in an easy source of protein. It's just like eating a chicken breast really. Supplementing with a protein shake is not going to make a bad diet good. Supplements are there to aid a decent diet not as a crutch for a bad one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

Better off posting an example of your diet for a standard day so you can get help with tidying that up first and foremost! All the supplements in the world won't make much improvement if your diet isn't in check to begin with!

After that if you're training regularly protein shakes are a great convenient way to get your daily requirement if its too much of a struggle to hit with real food! They are also ideal after training when a fast digesting protein will help to aid in muscle recovery.
    Blacktie. wrote: »
    Spend a few days tracking your food with myfitnesspal or a similar app. This means weighing it as well. A protein shake is just a means of getting in an easy source of protein. It's just like eating a chicken breast really. Supplementing with a protein shake is not going to make a bad diet good. Supplements are there to aid a decent diet not as a crutch for a bad one.

+1 for weighing your food! Ever since i started its made keeping my diet in check a hell of a lot easier.

They are also ideal after training when a fast digesting protein will help to aid in muscle recovery.

This myth has been debunked. I agree with the rest of what you said though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭hades

What supplements "should" i be taking?

I'm getting back into training again, before Christmas i trained 3 times a week (2 strength, 1 cardio), as well as swimming one night and playing a round of golf at the weekend. I'm hoping to get back to that amount again.

Previously i was taking 1 scoop of ON Whey every day with 1 scoop of ON Casein at night. But i cut that back to only using it on the days i worked out. And on occasion i'd use caffeine free BSN No-Xplode if i was going to the gym late in the evening.

I presume i'll continue using the ON Gold Standard Whey, but is it best to use it every day or just after training?

Looking around, there's talks of using Garlic Tablets, Vitamin D3 Tablets every day for general health, as well as Green Tea tablets to help burn off the belly. Or there's a thing called, CLA, which is supposed to promote fat burning too. Are these all a bottle of smoke, or do they help in conjunction with a balanced diet?

Thanks

Advertisement