Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supplements

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

I'm off on holidays for 2 and a half weeks next month and am worried about losing my gains if I don't bring protein with me. On the other hand, I don't want to take up half my case with a tub of it! Any ideas, or is 2 and a half weeks without protein a big deal?

Are you going to a country where chicken and milk is illegal or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

I'm off on holidays for 2 and a half weeks next month and am worried about losing my gains if I don't bring protein with me. On the other hand, I don't want to take up half my case with a tub of it! Any ideas, or is 2 and a half weeks without protein a big deal?

No lamb, beef, poultry, dairy, nuts in this exotic place?

New holiday destination perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

Your a supplements company's dream ! :).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Can you not just bring 1kg of whey? hardly takes up much room, even a 500g bag would be more than enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

JJayoo wrote: »
    Can you not just bring 1kg of whey? hardly takes up much room, even a 500g bag would be more than enough.

Or he could just eat eggs, chicken and beef & drink milk...even kebabs have protein if his going on a piss up holiday

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

Whey is even handier when on hols. You're not at home, and to a fair old extent
    you're relying on others to feed you. Cook for you at least. And your routine is out.

You're on holidays!

I usually bring 1kg. Takes up fūck all room in a bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

Don't be stressing it. I usually come back stronger due to the rest and extra calories.

If you really worried a tub of EAAs would easy to bring.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭AlanDeGenerous

Your a supplements company's dream ! :).

You're an English teacher's nightmare :)

Cheers for all the genuine replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

I've premixed whey before to drink later on in the day to find it disintegrates into this horrible clumpy mess. Does anyone know if the same thing happens to BCAAs?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,616 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Blacktie. wrote: »
    I've premixed whey before to drink later on in the day to find it disintegrates into this horrible clumpy mess. Does anyone know if the same thing happens to BCAAs?

I've never found whey doing that and there were times I'd mix it in the morning and grab it from the fridge on the wayto the gym that evening. Quick shake and it was fine.

But a serving of BCAAs is a good bit less than whey usually so it shouldn't be an issue.

• Advertisement

I've never found whey doing that and there were times I'd mix it in the morning and grab it from the fridge on the wayto the gym that evening. Quick shake and it was fine.

But a serving of BCAAs is a good bit less than whey usually so it shouldn't be an issue.

Well it's only happened once and it was a good bit later. Maybe I'm just making assumptions on my 1 experience.

That's true. I'd be looking at mixing 30g I think and drinking about 200ml every 2 hours I think. I'll have to check the leangains site again to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,616 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Well it's only happened once and it was a good bit later. Maybe I'm just making assumptions on my 1 experience.

That's true. I'd be looking at mixing 30g I think and drinking about 200ml every 2 hours I think. I'll have to check the leangains site again to be sure.

The alternative is to get a skipful of tablets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

I'd normally have 15g and it would be mixed hours before I drink it and have never had an issue. It pretty much dissolves to be honest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

The longer you leave bcaa mixed the better. I mix mine the night before and the lecuine is pretty much broken down, as it normally just floats on top barely mixed

The longer you leave bcaa mixed the better. I mix mine the night before and the lecuine is pretty much broken down, as it normally just floats on top barely mixed

Drop of lemon in the bcaas helps the mixing

• Registered Users Posts: 39,356 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

If i'm mixing whey ages before I'll be drinking it, I usually throw it in the freezer after mixing. It thaws by the time im drinking it, but be frozen for most of the wait stop is splitting.

Plus it'll still be cold when i get to drink it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Meglamonia

I use Myprotein's impact whey protein during weeight training days but on days where I have football training can anyone recommend a recovery shake?

I don't think the protein shake is enough as I need to get carbs in also after an intense football session, thanks.

Meglamonia wrote: »
    I use Myprotein's impact whey protein during weeight training days but on days where I have football training can anyone recommend a recovery shake?

I don't think the protein shake is enough as I need to get carbs in also after an intense football session, thanks.

Dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Meglamonia

Dinner.

Yeah thanks for the reply,Find it a bit hard to eat a lot after a lot of running.

Yeah thanks for the reply,Find it a bit hard to eat a lot after a lot of running.

Ah. Maltodextrin could do the job. Never really tried a carb supplement.

You could just have a protein shake mixed with a pint of milk. That would be a decent hit of carbs and protein.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Oisinjm

If you already have a protein supplement just buy a big bag of maltodextrin from MyProtein, Bulkpowders etc and throw it in on top of a scoop of protein. Pretty much all the recovery products are anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

If you have loads of money buy cyclone.

Anybody else taking CGT?

I am and I find it good. Seems to hive me more energy, obviously could be placebo, but whatever, if it's the placebo that's giving me more energy then I'm happy.

What's people opinions on Martin Berkhams recommendation of 10g BCAA pre training and 20g BCAA pot training? I train between 5:30 and 6:30 and break the fast at 11:00. I'm doing 16/8 leangains IF. It's just BCAA look to be expensive enough when taking in these amounts on workout days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Ant11

What's people opinions on Martin Berkhams recommendation of 10g BCAA pre training and 20g BCAA pot training? I train between 5:30 and 6:30 and break the fast at 11:00. I'm doing 16/8 leangains IF. It's just BCAA look to be expensive enough when taking in these amounts on workout days.

I think he says if you don't want to buy bcaa's you can take a protein shake pre workout.

"* Ideally, ingest 10 g branched-chain amino acids (BCAA) or 10 g essential amino acids (EAA) 5-15 mins prior to training.

* Alternatively, ingest 30 g of whey protein 5-15 mins prior to training. This will yield similar amounts of BCAA as the above protocol."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

Is horny goat weed banned now in Ireland or something ? I bought it last summer on discount supplements.ie but they don't seem to let you check out the product anymore, found it fairly good tbh.

The Neurotransmitter Depleting Effects of Branched Chain Amino Acids (BCAAs) and Their Potential Ergolytic, Anxiogenic & Depressive Downstream Effects

http://suppversity.blogspot.ie/2013/08/the-neurotransmitter-depleting-effects.html

some interesting studies referenced in the article

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭pabloazazel

anyone in cork wants to buy in myprotein together????

siochain wrote: »
    The Neurotransmitter Depleting Effects of Branched Chain Amino Acids (BCAAs) and Their Potential Ergolytic, Anxiogenic & Depressive Downstream Effects

http://suppversity.blogspot.ie/2013/08/the-neurotransmitter-depleting-effects.html

some interesting studies referenced in the article

Oh sweet lord, that's one of the worst written.pieces I've ever.come.across.

Pain in my brain from it ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭AlanDeGenerous

Oh sweet lord, that's one of the worst written.pieces I've ever.come.across.

Pain in my brain from it ,

Almost as poorly written as that post.

Advertisement