Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supplements

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

Oh sweet lord, that's one of the worst written.pieces I've ever.come.across.

Pain in my brain from it ,

of course it is sure when a site has as part of their heading 'Where BRO- and PRO-Science Unite in the Spirit of True Wisdom' is going to be pure gold :D

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Saint Sonner

Just looking some advice.

I was looking to build some lean muscle because even though I wouldn't be over weight I'm on the verge. So I've started doing some light weights to begin with. I carry the weight around the middle so I want to try and tone up there but I don't remember when I wasn't a bit flabby there.

What supplement would you take to help do this along with the weights programme.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

I was looking to build some lean muscle because even though I wouldn't be over weight I'm on the verge. So I've started doing some light weights to begin with. I carry the weight around the middle so I want to try and tone up there but I don't remember when I wasn't a bit flabby there.

What supplement would you take to help do this along with the weights programme.

Thanks.

There's no way to spot reduce fat. Only thing that's going to do it is to be eating less calories than you use.

Blacktie. wrote: »
    There's no way to spot reduce fat. Only thing that's going to do it is to be eating less calories than you use.

In addition to cutting calories - should I be taking any supplement to speed up/help along the process?

In addition to cutting calories - should I be taking any supplement to speed up/help along the process?

Na most of these "fat burners" are nothing more than appetite suppressants and stimulants mixed together. Usually caffeine tbh. The only ones that would actually work aren't legal.

• Advertisement

Na most of these "fat burners" are nothing more than appetite suppressants and stimulants mixed together. Usually caffeine tbh. The only ones that would actually work aren't legal.

Are you talking about whey protein and things like that? If not - whats its usefulness?

Are you talking about whey protein and things like that? If not - whats its usefulness?

No. When you look into it you'll see a lot of supplements will claim to "boost your metabolism" and "melt the fat off you" etc etc. It's just marketing bullsh!t.

Whey protein is just another protein source. It's the equivalent of having a chicken breast. It's handy for getting in more protein in a convenient way.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Thanks.

Do heavy weights and low reps to build muscle. Sort your diet out, recommended protein is around 2 grams per kg of bodyweight. Whey is handy to help you get there, but not a requirement in the slightest.

Do heavy weights and low reps to build muscle. Sort your diet out, recommended protein is around 2 grams per kg of bodyweight. Whey is handy to help you get there, but not a requirement in the slightest.

If I'm 6 2 and 94kg what weights would you recommend to start with. I usually use dumbbells.

I don't want to be huge just toned!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

If I'm 6 2 and 94kg what weights would you recommend to start with. I usually use dumbbells.

I don't want to be huge just toned!

The heaviest weight you can perform 5 reps on without your form going to hell. Use a program like stronglifts or starting strength as they add weight to the bar liberally.

Using weights that are too light is just slowing down the process as your body only adapts to the stress it is put under. You won't accidently get huge overnight, it takes years ;)

• Advertisement

Anyone know a brick and mortar store in Dublin that has somewhat comparable prices to online for BCAAs. Looking for 500g+ preferably.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

How often would ye guys take whey protein, like would ye do it after every session or like before?

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

astonaidan wrote: »
    How often would ye guys take whey protein, like would ye do it after every session or like before?

Its a protein supplement, just like a chicken fillet.

If I don't eat enough meat I have whey, If I have enough meat I dont. Its as simple as that. Chances are if you have to ask you don't have enough protein in your diet.

Aim to get approx 2g/kg of bodyweight. e.g if you weigh 85kg eat 170g of protein. To give you an idea, thats 4 eggs, 3 chicken fillets, 250g of lean mince, 2 whey protein shakes. If you are not hitting that kind of protein intake then one shake before or after training is not going to make a huge difference

conzy wrote: »
    Its a protein supplement, just like a chicken fillet.

If I don't eat enough meat I have whey, If I have enough meat I dont. Its as simple as that. Chances are if you have to ask you don't have enough protein in your diet.

Aim to get approx 2g/kg of bodyweight. e.g if you weigh 85kg eat 170g of protein. To give you an idea, thats 4 eggs, 3 chicken fillets, 250g of lean mince, 2 whey protein shakes. If you are not hitting that kind of protein intake then one shake before or after training is not going to make a huge difference
    Would you reccommend taking them with milk or water, Ive been taking my shakes with a small carton of milk 500ml, from what your saying I havent been close to the protein

Would you reccommend taking them with milk or water, Ive been taking my shakes with a small carton of milk 500ml, from what your saying I havent been close to the protein

Don't forget to include all of your food intake towards your protein not just shakes. That would be about 8 or ten shakes if it was your only source!

Depends are you trying to lose weight or gain it? Lose= water. Gain=milk.

Don't forget to include all of your food intake towards your protein not just shakes. That would be about 8 or ten shakes if it was your only source!

Depends are you trying to lose weight or gain it? Lose= water. Gain=milk.
    Not really trying to lose our gain weight, want to get rid of the stomach and get bigger arms mostly.
    Like im five 10 11 stonne so happy enough weight wise

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

Just going to post this again to see if anyone out there knows why horny goat weed was banned or was it banned ?

I bought it last summer and only started to use it a few months back and found it great but can't seem to get it here anymore.

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Just going to post this again to see if anyone out there knows why horny goat weed was banned or was it banned ?

I bought it last summer and only started to use it a few months back and found it great but can't seem to get it here anymore.

Cheers

Yes its banned here, the same way loads of herbs are such as Ginkgo, St. Johns Wort, Black Cohesh...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,616 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I don't think that it's banned...There are EU rules on herbal medicines that have come into effect and some herbal medicines don't meet the rules so didn't make the IMB cut.

Not really trying to lose our gain weight, want to get rid of the stomach and get bigger arms mostly.
    Like im five 10 11 stonne so happy enough weight wise

I'd stick with milk then. Least you get more nutrients.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

hey,

another supplement newbie here..... im trying to gain muscle and keep it! ...

i weigh 255 lbs and im sure i dont get enough protein.... id have only one chicken breast for instance when i have dinner, dont drink much milk except with porridge in the morning... eat lots of veg and generally try to eat well except for the odd cheat day...

I reckon i need around 200g per day?.... so im guessing unless i up my intake of protein rich meats or the number of protein shakes im never gonna improve...

Im taking two shakes a day(40g scoops) at the moment but im guessing i need to up that amount on days where im not getting it.... any other big dudes have any advice :)

jobless wrote: »
    hey,

another supplement newbie here..... im trying to gain muscle and keep it! ...

i weigh 255 lbs and im sure i dont get enough protein.... id have only one chicken breast for instance when i have dinner, dont drink much milk except with porridge in the morning... eat lots of veg and generally try to eat well except for the odd cheat day...

I reckon i need around 200g per day?.... so im guessing unless i up my intake of protein rich meats or the number of protein shakes im never gonna improve...

Im taking two shakes a day(40g scoops) at the moment but im guessing i need to up that amount on days where im not getting it.... any other big dudes have any advice :)

Use MyFitnessPal to track what you eat and it'll tell you what you're getting in terms of protein etc.

Are you working out much?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

I work out three times a week for about 90 mins...

Start logging your food on MyFitnessPal so. It'll give you the macro breakdown of all you're eating so you'll know where you're at and how much short you might be.

And also where your food intake, as a whole, is at.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,196 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

What is the general feeling on Multi-Vitamins? Do they actually work? I've been taking them for a while and I think I feel better when I take them. Is this a placebo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭cletus van damme

green tea extract is the vilest thing I have ever tasted.

I'll stick with regular green tea in future even if the 3 cup a day gives me the ****s

green tea extract is the vilest thing I have ever tasted.

I'll stick with regular green tea in future even if the 3 cup a day gives me the ****s

You've obviously never tried unflavoured BCAA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭cletus van damme

You've obviously never tried unflavoured BCAA.

but nah haven't tried unflavoure BCAA yet....I'm guess I won't either now.

Have tried unflavoured acetyl l-carnitine and d aspartic acid and were ok

but nah haven't tried unflavoure BCAA yet....I'm guess I won't either now.

Have tried unflavoured acetyl l-carnitine and d aspartic acid and were ok

BCAA is like sprinting in a plastic bag and then licking the sweat off. So nasty. Flavoured stuff is lovely though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 fitness factor

I know a lot of people who take BCAA in pils/ caps. No issue with flavour then.

Advertisement