Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supplements

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

I know a lot of people who take BCAA in pils/ caps. No issue with flavour then.

Yeah but aren't they tiny amounts in each pill? Never actually looked into it as I always saw pills as overpriced. Flavoured powder goes down grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 fitness factor

Blacktie. wrote: »
    Yeah but aren't they tiny amounts in each pill? Never actually looked into it as I always saw pills as overpriced. Flavoured powder goes down grand.

I suppose you will find expensive pills but if you like caps it 's all about looking for cheaper brand. The majority of brands will have similar quality anyway.
    Some people do prefer to drink rather then swallow a handful of pills though I suppose. And some pills can be just huge :).

• Registered Users Posts: 39,356 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I suppose you will find expensive pills but if you like caps it 's all about looking for cheaper brand.

I imagine even the cheapest pills will be expensive gram for gram verses a tub of powder.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 fitness factor

Out of curiosity would you be able to actually write down what's in such tub you are using and what price and tub weight. No brands please to make it more interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,616 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Mellor wrote: »
    I imagine even the cheapest pills will be expensive gram for gram verses a tub of powder.

MP's biggest supply of BCAAs in pill form is 270 pills for €28. That's for 270g.

You'll get 500g of unflavoured powder for €25. Even the flavoured, at €32 for 500g, is far better value than pills.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

Greetings, can anyone please advise?

I need to buy a protein powder but was bamboozled by the variety on display and to be honest, couldn't understand what half of them purport to do.

My aim is purely to bulk.

How many grams per scoop should i be looking at?

Is there anything else i need to take into consideration?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

I need to buy a protein powder but was bamboozled by the variety on display and to be honest, couldn't understand what half of them purport to do.

Sort your diet out before buying protein powder thinking it will bulk you up. How much protein are you taking in as it is?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

Blacktie. wrote: »
    Sort your diet out before buying protein powder thinking it will bulk you up. How much protein are you taking in as it is?

I don't know, not nearly enough.

I intend to sort the diet out and use the protein purely as a supplement, rather than as a replacement. I'm not a big eater, so to hit my targets protein powder is pretty much a must for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

http://ie.myprotein.com/sports-nutrition/impact-whey-protein/10530943.html

groupie15 = 15% discount code.

Get your diet on track though as much as possible, don't rely on supplements

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭beano345

Anybody else think the pre-workouts on the market now are nothing special,tried a few over the last couple of weeks and would have been better off drinking a cup of coffee before training! Can anyone recommend a good pre-workout supplement? Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,616 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

beano345 wrote: »
    Anybody else think the pre-workouts on the market now are nothing special,tried a few over the last couple of weeks and would have been better off drinking a cup of coffee before training! Can anyone recommend a good pre-workout supplement? Cheers

Coffee / coffee + chocolate chip cookie

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

I do think they've been tapered down a bit alright but honestly if you cycled your stimulants right not that I'm saying you don't but even a cup of coffee or red bull would hit you like a train never mind a pwo.

I do think they've been tapered down a bit alright but honestly if you cycled your stimulants right not that I'm saying you don't but even a cup of coffee or red bull would hit you like a train never mind a pwo.

I'm not very caffeine sensitive plus I'm only starting back lifting after a lay off but I remember some pre workouts being like rocket fuel,the fella in the nutrition shop was saying that a lot of the decent pre workouts were taking off the market,something to do with new laws put in place to tackle head shops

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭hairyslug

I have started to make my own pwo, I think I was lucky the 1st time and found a combination that worked, it tastes foul but it works, there's a couple of things I stick by mainly the limit of caffeine in it (I've seen quite a few out there that go over the rda) but I chop and change a couple of things the odd time to see if it makes a difference

hairyslug wrote: »
    I have started to make my own pwo, I think I was lucky the 1st time and found a combination that worked, it tastes foul but it works, there's a couple of things I stick by mainly the limit of caffeine in it (I've seen quite a few out there that go over the rda) but I chop and change a couple of things the odd time to see if it makes a difference

Any chance of getting your recipe? I seen caffeine tablets in a shop today was going to invest in them

Any chance of getting your recipe? I seen caffeine tablets in a shop today was going to invest in them

Got it written on a post -it in work, will put it up tomorrow

Got it written on a post -it in work, will put it up tomorrow

Sound thanks a million!

Sound thanks a million!

I'm open to advice from anyone looking at this but this is what I use.

TAURINE X 1.5G

ARGININE X 3G

CAFFEINE X200MG

TYROSINE X2G

CREATINE X 5G

I take it about 10min before, by the time I've done my run and row it's kicked in, tastes rotten but does the trick

TAURINE X 1.5G

ARGININE X 3G

CAFFEINE X200MG

TYROSINE X2G

CREATINE X 5G

I take it about 10min before, by the time I've done my run and row it's kicked in, tastes rotten but does the trick

Thanks again,I'm going to try pick up that stuff and give it a go

Thanks again,I'm going to try pick up that stuff and give it a go

Forgot to include vitamin c, been told it helps with absorption, I got all of that from bulk powders

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

TAURINE X 1.5G

ARGININE X 3G

CAFFEINE X200MG

TYROSINE X2G

CREATINE X 5G

Any trouble getting to sleep after this? Reason I'm asking is that is has the same amount of caffeine as 2.5 cans of red bull!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭gollywog

Caliden wrote: »
    Any trouble getting to sleep after this? Reason I'm asking is that is has the same amount of caffeine as 2.5 cans of red bull!

Pro supps Mr Hyde has four hundred and sixty odd mgs if I remember correctly... That was nuts

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

PWO's are mainly stim and tingle.

Low levels of caffeine are what you are after as caffeine is a vasoconstrictor and goes against a pump.

Hyde is about 419mg per scoop from memory.

Making them yourself is feasible but dependent on the ingredients will not offer much cost savings if any and some of the more important ingredients are not readily available online either.

No problem getting to sleep but I do go to the gym around 11am and my job is fairly active so it wouldn't be feeling it at all.

Before this the best pwo I tried was c4, found it very clean. I thought I had a fairly high threshold for these sorts of things but then I tried 1mr, Jesus I thought I was gonna burst the door of the gym down

No problem getting to sleep but I do go to the gym around 11am and my job is fairly active so it wouldn't be feeling it at all.

Before this the best pwo I tried was c4, found it very clean. I thought I had a fairly high threshold for these sorts of things but then I tried 1mr, Jesus I thought I was gonna burst the door of the gym down

C4 I found to be the pick of them lately,Jesus stop the old 1mr I thought was brilliant nearly skin ripping pumps off it,it didn't wear off halfway through the workout either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Hi
    Just wondering if anyone has used TPW, myprotein or Go Nutrition using parcel motel? I am a bit worried the box will be oversized and won't fit in the locker, so I just wanted to check if anyone can advise on whether they normally fit or not. Would not be ordering a very large amount - maybe 4kg or so.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

They tend to send large enough boxes. Even with 2 kg bags.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭dartstothesea

I've used Parcel Motel when getting 7kg or so worth of stuff and was grand. You should certainly be fine with anything under <5kg for the package size involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭guile4582

Hi
    Just wondering if anyone has used TPW, myprotein or Go Nutrition using parcel motel? I am a bit worried the box will be oversized and won't fit in the locker, so I just wanted to check if anyone can advise on whether they normally fit or not. Would not be ordering a very large amount - maybe 4kg or so.

Thanks

used myprotein and ordered 2.5kg protein pack and 1kg creatine mono and pulse

all fitted easily

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

myprotein 5kg boxes wouldn't have fitted in parcel motel

Advertisement