Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supplements

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

KevR wrote: »
    This is something I've been wondering about too. I don't really like the taste of creatine in a shake/juice so prefer to take in tablet form.

Anyone know if it's any less effective?

What are you using??? Mono's always been tasteless for me in enough liquid (10g in 300-400ml like!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Marty84

Taking Creatine in fruit juice will generally taste o.k as opposed to water,have used lots of supps and various brands but not anymore,Id also recommend staying with the liquid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭TrueMass

has anyone tried TMU Whey, Its cheaper then most 5lb Whey proteins and im looking for a change in brands?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Swizz

TrueMass wrote: »
    has anyone tried TMU Whey, Its cheaper then most 5lb Whey proteins and im looking for a change in brands?

Nope

I hear alot of good things about All THe Whey and Dymatize Elite Whey. Theyre fairly popular/trusted and cheap brands.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭dioltas

Hi, Can anyone advise me which would be the best of these to buy:

http://www.myprotein.co.uk/capsules-tablets-softgels/omega-3-and-fish-oils/

Price is a factor. I was thinking about either High Strength Cod Liver Oil or Omega 3 1000mg.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

dioltas wrote: »
    I was thinking about either High Strength Cod Liver Oil or Omega 3 1000mg.

Thanks.

Both are good though be aware that the cod liver oils can contain very high levels of Vitamin A and therefore your dose of Omega 3s might be limited by that.

mloc wrote: »
    Both are good though be aware that the cod liver oils can contain very high levels of Vitamin A and therefore your dose of Omega 3s might be limited by that.

You probably know more about this than I, but what's the consequence of too much vit A? A quick google shows retinol can inhibit the assimilation of vit D, but the links between that an bone mineral density are tenuous?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

Hanley wrote: »
    You probably know more about this than I, but what's the consequence of too much vit A? A quick google shows retinol can inhibit the assimilation of vit D, but the links between that an bone mineral density are tenuous?

Too much Vitamin A (hypervitamintosis A) is one of the more serious hypervitamintoses, in that its easier to get to that stage of dosing and more toxic to do so.

Vitamin A itself (Retinol) and its friends are known as Retinoids, and usually stored in the liver (primarily). When these stores are full, the levels in blood rise above normal and can cause damage to many organs around the body.

If you are familiar with the drug roaccutane, which is itself a retinoid (13-cis-retinoic acid, basically a Vitamin A molecule that looks like its been twisted a bit with some stuff stuck on), the side effects of that often mirror mild hypervitamintosis A. Liver damage, very dry skin, hair loss, loss of night vision, reduced bone density and in the cases of pregnant women, severe birth defects. Extreme cases can include death from increase in intracranial pressure or liver failure, though that would require a massive, acute dose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Imenselore

anyone tell me why its recommended to take two 16g servings of this stuff and only 5g of mono(maintaince) per day??????????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

Imenselore wrote: »
    anyone tell me why its recommended to take two 16g servings of this stuff and only 5g of mono(maintaince) per day??????????

Is Cell Mass that BSN stuff that tastes fantastic??

If so im pretty sure its a pre workout jobby with Glutamine and BCAAs and precursors and the like as well as creatine isnt it?

• Advertisement

The more you use, the more you buy ;)

No it's "post workout/nighttime mass and recovery activator"
    Is it because it's mixed with other shtuff that they recommend you take more as opposed to mono or is it a gimmic?ne any oponions on this vs mono?

Tastes nice=no

If so im pretty sure its a pre workout jobby with Glutamine and BCAAs and precursors and the like as well as creatine isnt it?

I think youre thinking of Syntha 6 ;)

I meant Post Work Out,

And no i wasn't thinking of Syntha 6 that stuff tastes like crap i don't care what ye say!

I meant Post Work Out,

And no i wasn't thinking of Syntha 6 that stuff tastes like crap i don't care what ye say!

What supplements you on?

uuuuurrrrmm.... i don't like this question!!

Gold Standard 100% Whey - usually one shake a day PWO
    Glucosamine - when ever things start to make too much noise
    Omega 3 tabs - when ever i remember

and i have some creatine mono that im not really too bothered about!

Soooooooooooooo,can anyone answer MY question!!

Soooooooooooooo,can anyone answer MY question!!

It's a different product

its like saying someone told me to only eat 2 bananas

but then told me i could eat a banana, 2 apples, a grape and a pint of Heineken....................

Which brings me back to my previous question,is there a need to take 16g twice a day??

Which brings me back to my previous question,is there a need to take 16g twice a day??

IMO BSN are not the most reputable of supp companies, i'm not saying they're bad they just have a habitof sentsationalising some new invention of theirs every so often some of which have proven to be scientifically impossible!!

They are the guideline amounts at the end of the day.........

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Tbh I think Hanley already answered your question-the dosage suggested is probably as much to do with increasing your usage as what you need. 5g once or twice a day might be all that's needed. If you're unsure about it you're better off reading up on it a good bit or leaving Creatine alone for a while longer. (imo of course)

Cheers,I've done quite abit reading,some people saw good gains using the recommended dosage some didn't.I suppose it's just different for different people.I've put on 6lbs since monday,whatever that means!

Cheers,I've done quite abit reading,some people saw good gains using the recommended dosage some didn't.I suppose it's just different for different people.I've put on 6lbs since monday,whatever that means!

Levrone is that you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

No, he's just had some water retention, obv.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

I think the lads already touched on thisbut from what I can tell:
    a 16g serving probably contain 5g of creatine monohydrate + 11g's of carbs or something else.

From my experience taking anything more than 5g of creatine mono at a time can be rough on your stomach... If your loading try not to take it on an empty stomach or split it into two doses.

You don't need to load on creatine despite what the instructions say. It's unneccessary.

You don't need to load on creatine despite what the instructions say. It's unneccessary.

it's six of one half a dozen of the other, after a month both methods will reach the same level of saturation but the loading is quicker

Spot on. Most people can't handle the loading phase so I don't see the point in "rushing" the process, just take 5 - 10grams a day when neccessary and you will be fine. And don't bother with that CEE stuff, it's not proven to be more effective than Mono.

No, he's just had some water retention, obv.

I know, he doesnt.

• Advertisement

According to people on other forums and bsn (how reliable there info is I don't know),you don't get water retention,because cee is absorbed better than mono,upon reading the label again I found that there is 3g of creatine in a serving,the rest is made up of carbs,glutamine and small amounts of various other things,the reason why it's a smaller dose of cratine is because "cee latches to it's transporter better than mono therefore more absorbtion,and in turn no bloat because it is absorbed and not left outside the muscle".would I be anyway right in saying that?

Advertisement