Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supplements

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,814 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Nothing really. Just the ultra fine oats mix in a shake. You could grind normal porridge oats for a shake as well.

But there's no nutritional difference.

Did you ever try mixing the shake in a nutri bullet? I don't get the grainy effect because it disintegrates the oats.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,617 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

EmptyTree wrote: »
    Nice one, great suggestion, I like the convenience of a ready made supp, but id definitely be willing to give this a go. I really like the idea of knowing what I'm getting, hate all the rubbish that's out there being sold at top dollar.

I get the attraction of the convenience - it is ultimately why people use shakes.

But for something like post-workout shakes or mass gainers are more simple than they are pitched as being. And, to be fair, there are plenty of alternatives for getting the calories on board that would cut out supplements.

But oats and whey is all the mass gainers are and in enough quantity to get you decent calories on board

A coffee grinder would also save you a few quid long term cos you could grind up ordinary porridge oats

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Did you ever try mixing the shake in a nutri bullet? I don't get the grainy effect because it disintegrates the oats.

No, I don't have a nutri bullet. I only have the fine oats cos I got them on a promotion - I don't use gainers.

But anything that grinds up the oats would do the job and save you buying the fine oats

No, I don't have a nutri bullet. I only have the fine oats cos I got them on a promotion - I don't use gainers.

But anything that grinds up the oats would do the job and save you buying the fine oats
    How much are your fine oats?

How much are your fine oats?

I got a 5kg bag free but it'd cost about a tenner to buy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭EmptyTree

But for something like post-workout shakes or mass gainers are more simple than they are pitched as being. And, to be fair, there are plenty of alternatives for getting the calories on board that would cut out supplements.

But oats and whey is all the mass gainers are and in enough quantity to get you decent calories on board

A coffee grinder would also save you a few quid long term cos you could grind up ordinary porridge oats

Yes, I had been adding milk to get a few extra cals, I'll sit down and do the sums tomorrow to try to make it equivalent but your previous post have me a good starting point. I never really thought about making my own, wouldn't have known where to begin even if I did! Thanks Alf.
    I've added good peanut butter and some nuts along with the above to get some extra calories in too. Also adds a lot of protein to the shake too

Good idea. Come to think of it, I've a feeling there was an old thread on this a while ago, I'll dig it out tomorrow.

Plenty of options for good extra calories away from supplements alright.

But the the basic makeup of those mass gainers is a very straightforward mix of protein and carbs in a P:C breakdown of about 2:3 with about 400 kcals in there.

Doesn't need to be oats+protein, per se, but it's a lot cheaper to make yourself without sacrificing too much convenience

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Sundance_Kid

Hi, what website is cheapest/best quality for supplements? I have used MyProtein before and notice there is a Bulk Powders forum on here also.

Thanks

Hi, what website is cheapest/best quality for supplements? I have used MyProtein before and notice there is a Bulk Powders forum on here also.

Thanks

Price one against the other. They both have sales on daily

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

Finding SO nutrition isolate whey is giving me really bad farts and making me **** all the time, first time taking this

Used to always go with ph diet or golds

anyone else find the SO nutrition hard to stomach?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭Danye

What's people's opinions on the quality of the brands - Natures Aid and Solgar?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

Danye wrote: »

Don't know too much about Natures Aid but Solgar are a well established brand of vitamins & supplements. Quite expensive though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Danye wrote: »

I use Solgars B12 supplements, very cheap and good. (Demonstrated in blood tests)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

USN Whey in Lidl - 908g - 21.99

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

arayess wrote: »
    USN Whey in Lidl - 908g - 21.99

Actually pretty poor value compared to (for example) MyProtein, where most flavours work out at the same price for 2200g. I'm sure the convenience factor will be handy for some though.

Sugar Free wrote: »
    Actually pretty poor value compared to (for example) MyProtein, where most flavours work out at the same price for 2200g. I'm sure the convenience factor will be handy for some though.

jaysus - do you lads ever get off the myprotein/bulk powders soapbox.:(

it's not the same fcuking thing.
    It's cheap for USN, that's the comparison.
    discount supplements sell this for 29,99 - lidl 21.99
    that's the comparison.

It's also 908g not 2200g , bulk buying is 99.9% cheaper cost per unit but it's not a fair comparison.

Plus as you say it's convenient cos one is not paying 5e delivery when one only wants some protein and one only has 22e in their bank,

I use bulk powders myself but i'm fcuked if I'm droning on like some bore to another lad who like branded stuff that my way of life is superior.

you have successfully ruined what should be a happy event.

Yes I have completely overreacted but you mentioned a pet hate of mine which is the smug superiority of bulk powders/myprotein users.

All he's done is said you can get something cheaper because some people will read it and think "Oh cool. I can get 2 lbs of protein for only €21.99".

It's not smugness. It's trying to be helpful.

All he's done is said you can get something cheaper because some people will read it and think "Oh cool. I can get 2 lbs of protein for only €21.99".

It's not smugness. It's trying to be helpful.

i disagree.
    myprotein <> branded stuff.

you can get 2lb of USN 100% whey for 21.99 which is quite cheap.

i disagree.

Not sure what the symbol in bold means but anyway, yeah its cheaper for USN. Someone suggesting a cheaper alternative doesn't have to be smug.

CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG!

Not sure what the symbol in bold means but anyway, yeah its cheaper for USN. Someone suggesting a cheaper alternative doesn't have to be smug.

CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG!

<> is "not equal too" .

No. this is the internet.
    it's an internet forum for fitness.

so expect (Hatred) ^ 2

• Advertisement

i disagree.

25% off all proteins today @ myprotein
    Code PROTEIN25 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

:) that escalated somewhat quickly!

No smugness intended, I'm surprised it was picked up that way. If people prefer branded stuff or a particular brand, I certainly don't feel I'm superior to them. If their preferred brand is USN and Lidl are offering it cheaper than other sources all the better.

As Alf said I was merely comparing two sources of whey protein of similar quality (I certainly know MyProtein and Bulk Powders are good quality for the price you pay) and mindful that to someone casually reading this thread, there are cheaper options available, should they choose.

It's a valid point about delivery charges but most people I know who order from the 'Big 2' generally order the 5kg/11lb pouches, which is usually enough to get free delivery.

<> is "not equal too" .

<> ≠ ≠

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

When people say "branded whey".... y'all know myprotein is a brand too?! :D

Sugar Free wrote: »
    :) that escalated somewhat quickly!

No smugness intended, I'm surprised it was picked up that way. If people prefer branded stuff or a particular brand, I certainly don't feel I'm superior to them. If their preferred brand is USN and Lidl are offering it cheaper than other sources all the better.

As Alf said I was merely comparing two sources of whey protein of similar quality (I certainly know MyProtein and Bulk Powders are good quality for the price you pay) and mindful that to someone casually reading this thread, there are cheaper options available, should they choose.

It's a valid point about delivery charges but most people I know who order from the 'Big 2' generally order the 5kg/11lb pouches, which is usually enough to get free delivery.

i know - :o

you are baring the brunt for the dislike I have of the myprotein gang... you know they type ...can't mention a protein with them mentioning myprotein....kinda like a vegan crossfit animal rights activities.

anyway have a nice day ,i hope we can be friends again.

<> ≠ ≠

maths was beaten into me using "not equal" as "<>"

my keyboard seems to lack the fanciness of yours...although maybe you are on a phone

nonetheless we are where we are.

maths was beaten into me using "not equal" as "<>"

my keyboard seems to lack the fanciness of yours...although maybe you are on a phone

nonetheless we are where we are.

Yes, you're at HATRED^2 and I'm at smug^2 ;)

Hanley wrote: »

Actually, saw a couple of Bulkpowders ads up on the Dart yesterday too.

Hanley wrote: »

yes indeed.
    but is it "branded"? which was the word I used
    I'd consider myprotein to be more on par with "shops own" or "generic" brands. of course you may disagree as is your right.

take for example cornflakes.
    kellogs are considered branded..tesco's are not.
    they are both "brands" and cornflakes. i guess.

sorry to be pedantic....but you brought it up and I do know my food.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

So Arayess, what is the actual difference between USN and MyProtein/Bulkpowders, other than a brand name and some clever marketing?

Advertisement