Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supplements

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭john_cappa

gunner1251 wrote: »
    i changed my diet months ago and asked the personal trainers in the gym and they said my diet was good

if your diet was good then you wouldnt be complaining about not making gains.

Im not sure if there is a diet section arround here but id advise posting up your diet(includinf portion size) , along with your stats goals and training program up for constructive critique

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250386060647&ih=015&category=97034&ssPageName=WDVW&rd=1

so given that they're 1.5g take maybe 5 before my workout?
    would taking them an hour before my workout be too much of a gap?
    and is that the only time i'd need to take them during the day?

This is like a case study for people being led astray by supplements.

Firstly don't bother with the creatine. You're paying too much for snake oil. The reason you aren't making gains isn't to do with lack of supplementation I can promise you that. How do you train?

kevpants wrote: »
    This is like a case study for people being led astray by supplements.

Firstly don't bother with the creatine. You're paying too much for snake oil. The reason you aren't making gains isn't to do with lack of supplementation I can promise you that. How do you train?

pretty much! is there a training/diet forum around here?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

john_cappa wrote: »
    sorting out your diet will result in far greater benefit than any creatine

+1 - If your getting surplus calories, plenty of protein and lifting heavy and often then theres no reason why you wouldn't be making big gains.
    The above is the recepie for gains, creatine will help but not to the extent of sorting the above, you are obviously being limited by one of the above
    i changed my diet months ago and asked the personal trainers in the gym and they said my diet was good

Good does not necessarily mean your getting enough calories, I eat lots of rubbish but I just make sure I get enough calories and protein and I put on roughly 2 stone of muscle in a year. Lots of people have a better diet than me and it's great to have a clean diet but with your clean diet you still must make sure your getting the required calories

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

colly10 wrote: »
    +1 - If your getting surplus calories, plenty of protein and lifting heavy and often then theres no reason why you wouldn't be making big gains.
    The above is the recepie for gains, creatine will help but not to the extent of sorting the above, you are obviously being limited by one of the above

Good does not necessarily mean your getting enough calories, I eat lots of rubbish but I just make sure I get enough calories and protein and I put on roughly 2 stone of muscle in a year. Lots of people have a better diet than me and it's great to have a clean diet but with your clean diet you still must make sure your getting the required calories

you did who now??:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 paul_b09

ya iv been doin a weights nd cardio program since december 3 times a week. i got fully toned bt im still underweight 4 my height .im wonderin can ny1 gv advice on ny products dat can help me put up weight healthly with no side effects? eg maximuscle

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

knuth_don_has_a_grammar.jpg
    paul_b09 wrote: »
    ya iv been doin a weights nd cardio program since december 3 times a week. i got fully toned bt im still underweight 4 my height .im wonderin can ny1 gv advice on ny products dat can help me put up weight healthly with no side effects? eg maximuscle

im actually in tears

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

me 2 L me 2.

you did who now??:eek:

Well actually thinking about it, I was around 10% BF before, still am around 10% now and put on 2 stone, I know that doesn't work out at a full 2 stone of muscle but close enough. Just saying that I don't believe that the diet does not have to be all clean to build the muscle and keep the weight off, if you work hard enough I think you'll build the muscle without adding the fat

• Advertisement

Well actually thinking about it, I was around 10% BF before, still am around 10% now and put on 2 stone, I know that doesn't work out at a full 2 stone of muscle but close enough. Just saying that I don't believe that the diet does not have to be all clean to build the muscle and keep the weight off, if you work hard enough I think you'll build the muscle without adding the fat

you must have some freaky-ass genetics brother

you must have some freaky-ass genetics brother

The opposite I think, I was always really small, when I started I was someone who ate nothing, did no training and smoked around 20 a day. I packed in the smokes, took up boxing and lifting a few days a week and now I make sure im never hungry.
    It's more noob gains and going from a **** lifestyle to good, I find it much harder to make gains now

The opposite I think, I was always really small, when I started I was someone who ate nothing, did no training and smoked around 20 a day. I packed in the smokes, took up boxing and lifting a few days a week and now I make sure im never hungry.
    It's more noob gains and going from a **** lifestyle to good, I find it much harder to make gains now

i see thats a different kettle of lobsters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ottocar

I read that something called marine fish oils is recommended as it 'melts' tummy fat so to speak.

Any truth to this?

ottocar wrote: »
    I read that something called marine fish oils is recommended as it 'melts' tummy fat so to speak.

Any truth to this?

ive not heard of ot but im confident in say that there is not truth in it

ottocar wrote: »

Any truth to this?

Omega 3 fatty acids present in oily fish can help maintain levels of good cholesterol and control insulin levels.......... which in around about way could be what you read!"!

I decent amount of Omegas is just plain good for health in general

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

just discovered several kilos of white stuff labelled Creatine Monohydrate in our teenagers bedroom: source unknown.

Having done some research it is regarded as either

(1) a harmless product that if taken in small amounts with plenty hydration is okay.

(2) a performance enhancing supplement that has a wide range of side effects and that the risks are not simply worth it.

Would welcome some feedback please before addressing the issue with our son.
    Thanks

Carlow52 wrote: »
    just discovered several kilos of white stuff labelled Creatine Monohydrate in our teenagers bedroom: source unknown.

(1) a harmless product that if taken in small amounts with plenty hydration is okay.

(2) a performance enhancing drug that has a wide range of side effects and that the risks are not simply worth it.

Thanks

I wouldn't worry about creatine mono to be honest, I assume he's probably playing GAA or Rugby and wants to bulk up a little for it. The correct diet and training would be more effective for what he's looking for but I wouldn't worry about it being harmfull

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

(2) a performance enhancing drug that has a wide range of side effects and that the risks are not simply worth it.

Thanks

Your research is severely flawed, its not a drug.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

Thanks

It's a lot more of 1. The second option there probably relates to the confusion some people seem to have with creatine, thinking its a steroid. Which it is not. Fear not, it's certainly no worse than finding a tub of salt in his room.

• Advertisement

Colly10 and MLoc: thanks for your helpful observations, much appreciated.

He is playing rugby so...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭Esse85

How old is he??

was 17 in April

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Phlann

Folks,

Where can I buy ProX Whey protein in the city centre? I've only ever spotted it in a couple of places over on de Nortsoide. I get a nosebleed if I travel further north than Phibsborough these days and I'd like to replace my dwindling supply soon.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Phlann wrote: »
    Folks,

Where can I buy ProX Whey protein in the city centre? I've only ever spotted it in a couple of places over on de Nortsoide. I get a nosebleed if I travel further north than Phibsborough these days and I'd like to replace my dwindling supply soon.

Health Matters on Grafton Street definitely stock NutritionX stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭jason2501

hi im only starting out at all this so, i bought mass gainer xxl.

is this any good and whats your thoughts about it.

thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

Hi guys,

Just trying to lose a stone to a stone and a half in body fat. Are these protein shakes of any benefit here or is it just low carb low fat diet with plenty of exercise?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Doubs

Hi everyone,

Just a quick question with regards to protein supplements, have recently got back in to the gym so looking to get some protein into me but have always been a bit sceptical of tubs of protein in bright colours with stuff like 'Powermax', 'Super Growth' blah blah blah plastered all over them.

I've been goping to the gym a few yrs and just starting supplementing my diet with some protein last year while in Australia, there I was just using protein found in the heath section of Coles (Aus equivelent of Dunnes) - it wasn't advertising as anything other than protein, mix it with milk, shake, happy days.

Now I'm home and I can't find an equivelent. My local heathstore has tubs of whey protein, is that any good? Or is it all the same? I eat plenty chicken, tuna, etc, but am quite busy so don't always get as much as I need/would like.

Thanks!

Doubs wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

Just a quick question with regards to protein supplements, have recently got back in to the gym so looking to get some protein into me but have always been a bit sceptical of tubs of protein in bright colours with stuff like 'Powermax', 'Super Growth' blah blah blah plastered all over them.

I've been goping to the gym a few yrs and just starting supplementing my diet with some protein last year while in Australia, there I was just using protein found in the heath section of Coles (Aus equivelent of Dunnes) - it wasn't advertising as anything other than protein, mix it with milk, shake, happy days.

Now I'm home and I can't find an equivelent. My local heathstore has tubs of whey protein, is that any good? Or is it all the same? I eat plenty chicken, tuna, etc, but am quite busy so don't always get as much as I need/would like.

Thanks!

Whey is fine! in reality there is very little different between the brands apart from taste! Buying in a shop is going to be expensive. Must more reasonable buying online

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Avoid anything with the word "Gain" or "Mass" in the title unless you want to pay for a lot of extra sugar. Your basic whey is fine. Add your own creatine or anything else you want.

Advertisement