Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supplements

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Boots09

Hi all.

Great forum, just a quick question, I am doing starting strength at the moment and am wondering if I should start taking protein shakes. I have been doing the program for about a month with decent results so far. i havent been taking protein so far as I am a little overweight (poor but improving diet) and was worried it might not help in this department, so I guess my question is should I stay going as I am or start taking shakes?

any advise would be great!!
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Boots09 wrote: »
    Hi all.

Great forum, just a quick question, I am doing starting strength at the moment and am wondering if I should start taking protein shakes. I have been doing the program for about a month with decent results so far. i havent been taking protein so far as I am a little overweight (poor but improving diet) and was worried it might not help in this department, so I guess my question is should I stay going as I am or start taking shakes?

any advise would be great!!
    Cheers

Its hard to advise anyone on supplements unless you know their goals, diet, current stats and lifestyle. Maybe you are already eating enough, how is anyone to know?

You should make a decent effort on the diet front (especially if you are trying to lose weight) before considering turning to supplements.

Cheers Vegeta,

I was thinking as much myself just wanted to see what you guys thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Boots09 wrote: »
    Cheers Vegeta,

I was thinking as much myself just wanted to see what you guys thought.

Maybe a food diary (brutally honest one) where you write down everything you eat for a normal week will show you roughly what your intake is like. You can gauge this against what you "should" be getting and if it is going to be difficult to make up any gaps with whole food then supplements might help.

There's no point in blindly handing out money if you don't need to though

Vegeta wrote: »
    Maybe a food diary (brutally honest one) where you write down everything you eat for a normal week will show you roughly what your intake is like. You can gauge this against what you "should" be getting and if it is going to be difficult to make up any gaps with whole food then supplements might help.

There's no point in blindly handing out money if you don't need to though

Actually started one the last week!! Its the weekends that really get me.... going out etc. I'm also thinking about starting a log on the fitness forum. Watch this space :)

Anyway I don't wanna be going off topic thanks again for the help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Used to take supplements when last at gym. Was made aware you have to be drinking a lot of water for your body to be able to deal with it.

I've started back at gym now, can't afford supplements but drinking a lot of milk. Seeing as milk is mainly water is there any point drinking extra water? I don't feel dehydrated but there is a fair amount of protein in milk, drinking 2-3 litres a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭K09

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a good drink supplement to help increase muscle size and build strength?
    At the moment I am using Progain by maximuscle. This suitable?
    Also should I be doing many weights? Or is it ok to just do as many push ups as I can?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Do weights. Work all major body parts. Push-up are good, but you should be doing squats, bench press, deadlifts, pull-ups, dips, lunges, stiffleg deadlifts, military press, bentover rows and other compound lifts.

Any basic whey will do the job. For maximum muscle gain, add a spoonful of creatine and some dextrose (glucose) to your shake. Take as soon as you've finished lifting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 polaris6630

hey guys i just got some nutrition x cellx, just wondering do i need to cycle it and do i need a loading dose aswell??

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭jeff lebowski

Hi,

Has anyone on here tried the Animal Pak supplements? Are they any good? I had a quick look at their site and it seems to be a kind of nutritional 'base' to take along with your normal protein and whatever.

Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭JohnJericho

Now i know what most peoples views on Maximuscle is on here but personally i like the stuff. Can anybody tell a place on the web or in Dublin that sells the stuff cheap. Most places it seems to be €57+

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

yes and it takes terrible plus its not that good.

optimum nutrition are better and cheaper IMO

Didnt realise that was the question i asked

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

Nowhere sells it particularly cheap. The reason for that is their expensive marketing to try and appeal to mass market (e.g. uninformed) section of the fitness community.

There's nothing that bad about it if you look at it on it's own, as in, if it was the only brand out there, it would do. But it's not, and comparitively speaking it's not just overpriced; it's generally outdated, foul tasting and from my own experiences very poor QC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

go to the main distributer,leydens cash&carry on the richmond road.There is a section on the upper level in the main building its where maximuscle have there main stores.Kieran collins runs it.You may need to set up an account but you will make alot of savings!

as you heard already it isnt the greatest sup around,try ON,Nutrition x,cytosport or bsn.

mloc wrote: »
    Nowhere sells it particularly cheap. The reason for that is their expensive marketing to try and appeal to mass market (e.g. uninformed) section of the fitness community.

There's nothing that bad about it if you look at it on it's own, as in, if it was the only brand out there, it would do. But it's not, and comparitively speaking it's not just overpriced; it's generally outdated, foul tasting and from my own experiences very poor QC.

you hit the nail in the head

I use Maximuscle Promax Diet, is there a similar better product on the scene?

I use Maximuscle Promax Diet, is there a similar better product on the scene?

you can try Optimum Nutrition whey it available in 2-5-10lbs tubs/bags.You can get the 5lb tub for 50-65 euro in town tastes good too:D

if your trying to keep it lean maybe try a whey isolate,syntrax nectar is pretty good 90cals+zero carbs

• Registered Users Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭Esse85

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭john_cappa

what type of product are you after?

Maximuscle are quality porducts if you can afford them but there are cheaper alternatives available

john_cappa wrote: »
    what type of product are you after?

Maximuscle are quality porducts if you can afford them but there are cheaper alternatives available

you must be on cloud 9, they have kept the same ingredient for nearly 15 years,its well over priced for the weight you get,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭john_cappa

drdeadlift wrote: »
    you must be on cloud 9, they have kept the same ingredient for nearly 15 years,its well over priced for the weight you get,

Perhaps it is you who are on cloud nine?

where did i say they were competitively priced?

They are good products with good ingredients. They are expensive and competitively priced alternatives are available

I fail to see anything outlandish in my post?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

About the only thing cheap about Maximuscle are the ingredients.

Check out many of the lower priced, better quality products available.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

drdeadlift wrote: »
    totally agree - plus you would think after 15 years the would have improved taste but hey the under 18yr olds will keep buying if from their local pharmacy or health food shop at an completely elevated price, take it for a few weeks and then stop. Bit like some gym memberships really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭TrueMass

hey guys i just got some nutrition x cellx, just wondering do i need to cycle it and do i need a loading dose aswell??

It should explain it on the tub? although not surprised if it doesnt. Check their website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭celestial

Hey folks,

I'm looking for a whey protein that does not have artificial sweeteners in it (acesulfame k / aspartame / sucralose etc), and preferably one that I can order from an Irish site?

Had a look on nutrition x and supplement factory but not seeing anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭T-rev

totally agree - plus you would think after 15 years the would have improved taste but hey the under 18yr olds will keep buying if from their local pharmacy or health food shop at an completely elevated price, take it for a few weeks and then stop. Bit like some gym memberships really.

haha saucer of milk there for you, meowwww

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

you can get fish oil and green tea extract from holland and barretts and then a cheap Protein powder from thesupplementfactory.com or myprotein.co.uk and it will probably do essentialy the same thing and you will get a hell of a lot more value for money.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭TrueMass

reflex do a natural whey that has no sweeteners. not sure of a site that sells them.

Advertisement