Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supplements

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

why thank you - honest is what i like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

Transform wrote: »
    totally agree - plus you would think after 15 years the would have improved taste but hey the under 18yr olds will keep buying if from their local pharmacy or health food shop at an completely elevated price, take it for a few weeks and then stop. Bit like some gym memberships really.

Very true,its a newby thing to do,but as we know its maximuscles marketing which has it like that,i always talk people out of buying the stuff unless the are completly convinced its the best.

If i ask a person why would they prefer to buy maximuscle 9/10 they will say their personel trainer recomended it,the rest would say its what they have seen in mens health or most other mags etc,

Rant almost over,,look at the nutritional info on the rear of the tub,then look at the amount of powder your getting,then have a goo at the serving size.Maximuscle will prob only last you 10days to two weeks very expensive gear,,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭JohnJericho

So essentialy what is the best replacement for Promax Diet? Does anywhere in Dublin stock LA Muscle?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Hammer Time

Seems to be a few more seasoned posters on this thread.
    Does anybody know what the actual weights of the products are on the nutritionx webpage?
    Im just shoppin around all the usual sites but the nutritionx web page has nothing about their product weights on there from what I can see and their prices are significantly cheaper. Im lookin to top up my supply of the ProX.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

So essentialy what is the best replacement for Promax Diet? Does anywhere in Dublin stock LA Muscle?

Truthfully slender pro is probably the closest thing to it http://www.irish-lifting.com/product_info_supplement.php?cPath=2_29&products_id=278 however as in my previous post just buy some fish oil and green tea extract and some whey and you will save your self a good chunk of money

• Advertisement

Seems to be a few more seasoned posters on this thread.
    Does anybody know what the actual weights of the products are on the nutritionx webpage?
    Im just shoppin around all the usual sites but the nutritionx web page has nothing about their product weights on there from what I can see and their prices are significantly cheaper. Im lookin to top up my supply of the ProX.
    try the links below to get weights (however if it is the elite range you are looking for I haven't got a clue) as to why they don't have the weights on their page god only knows as it is a bit daft not to

http://www.irish-lifting.com/index.php?cPath=2_29

or

http://www.fitnessireland.ie/index.php?manufacturers_id=40

Daft yes, highly annoying definitely.
    Cheers for the links Santa.
    Was also lookin at a sack of the ON whey on another website. Is it any different to the ProX as the protein content is pretty much the same and does it taste as good as the NutX products?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

Are you just typing expensive protein supps into google and taking whatever comes out!!!

Daft yes, highly annoying definitely.
    Cheers for the links Santa.
    Was also lookin at a sack of the ON whey on another website. Is it any different to the ProX as the protein content is pretty much the same and does it taste as good as the NutX products?

truthfully with most of these it just comes down to personal preference as some people prefer some from one brand and other from another brand. However NutX is an irish product and is probably coming in at roughly the same price so for me I would tend towards that.

That said I really do like the ON rocky road

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭Scramble

An observation having tried a few different whey proteins at this stage (ON, Cytosport, MyProtein, Boditronics, EAS). A huge amount of it does appear to come down to personal preference.

The differences between one reputable company's product and another in terms of the quality seems to be less significant than finding a particular whey that you actually like the taste of...

I struggled through a tub of EAS' chocolate, hating it, until I tried Cytosport whey cookies and cream, which is still probably the best-tasting whey I've come across. ON''s and MyProtein's offerings in that flavour seem to be pretty good, and I also liked Boditronics, but for whatever reason the Cytopsort matches my taste the best. It's definitley a personal thing, my flatmates don't even like the smell of the Cytosport. The taste factor trumps the rest of it, considering the cost per lb involved. Another product might have marginally superior content, but at the end of the day if you struggle through it...

FWIW Boditronics will send you a couple of samples for free if you e-mail them and ask. I got choc mint and cookies and creme - both quite good if very thick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭top madra

well i was on this site myprotein.co.uk im looking to get some whey and creatine mono, i was takin maxi-muscles cyclone and then complete fusion by complete supplements,,

my prob is theres alot to choose from and im not sure what im looking for,which whey/creatine etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭john_cappa

Can i ask what your goals are? and what your current statss are? what your diet is like to achieve those goals?

If you are asking the above question then i assume you are a relatively new trainer and a diet over haul will be far more beneficial

To those dissing maximuscle, there is nothing wrong with them. They are good products with good ingredients. Yes they are the same ingredients that are used in cheaper alternative products. The only issue is price.

Cheers for the quick replies Santa and Scramble. Stuck with the tried and tested ProX vanilla in the end. Thanks for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭newby.204

http://www.bulksupplementsdirect.co.uk/khxc/gbu0-display/coa.html

anyone ever use them prices and delivery charges seem to be really good, a little too good??

any experiences?

newby.204 wrote: »

anyone ever use them prices and delivery charges seem to be really good, a little too good??

any experiences?

Ive not used them but im sure they are fine. If your unsure use

myprotein.co.uk

bulkpowders.co.uk

Same prices as website you posted and very dependable

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭De Deraco

Quick question?

In these recessionary times is it cheaper to get protein from whole foods or protein shakes?

De Deraco wrote: »
    Quick question?

In these recessionary times is it cheaper to get protein from whole foods or protein shakes?

Impossible to answer really as some whole foods are expensive e.g. fillet streak while some whole foods are cheap sources e.g. textured vegetable protein (TVP). Also do you put a value on your time it takes to prepare whole food sometimes. For me convenience of protein shakes often wins.

Below is a link to a thread in a forum i use which discusses the cheapest sources of protein in depth

http://www.muscletalk.co.uk/Price-of-protein-Helping-you-choose-the-cheapest-options-Credit-crunch-m3271079.aspx

The most important thing is that you are using a variety of sources for protein e.g red meat, poultry, fish, milk, nuts, eggs, powders, etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

One very cheap source of protein right now is cottage cheese. Eggs are usually cheap too, especially when any of the supermarkets are doing a €1 for six deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

john_cappa wrote: »
    Impossible to answer really as some whole foods are expensive e.g. fillet streak while some whole foods are cheap sources e.g. textured vegetable protein (TVP). Also do you put a value on your time it takes to prepare whole food sometimes. For me convenience of protein shakes often wins.
    Most would not call TVP a wholefood. In fact if you go by the definition on wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whole_foods
    Whole foods are those that are unprocessed and unrefined, or processed and refined as little as possible before being consumed....

Examples of whole foods include unpolished grains; fruits and vegetables; unprocessed meat, poultry, and fish; and non-homogenized milk
    Then even milk in the supermarkets is not a wholefood, since it is homogenized (or can you get it unhomogenized anywhere?), I think it is illegal to sell raw unpastuerised milk.

Anyway wholefood or not, I previously calculated that cheap protein powders are cheaper per gram for protein than milk, where I shop anyway. But that is putting no value on the carbs or fat in milk, which are a food source.

The cheapest lately was nuts on offer in tesco, value peanuts were (are?) 200g for 27cent, so €1.35 per kilo, Thats is cheaper than many shops sell milk or oats at per kilo!

These are 25.2% protein. so the equivalent of €5.35 for 1kilo of 100% protein.

Of course they are 51.5% fat so it is not like you can be eating kilos per day!

Gram flour is also a cheap source more info on that here

I mix an egg and curry sauce with gram flour and fry it like a pancake. I sometimes fry up chicken pieces and pour the mixture on that to get a curry chicken pancake.

EileenG wrote: »
    One very cheap source of protein right now is cottage cheese. Eggs are usually cheap too, especially when any of the supermarkets are doing a €1 for six deal.

But is that cheap in reality? An egg gives at most 6 grams of protein. times 6 eggs is approx 36 grams of protein for that euro. The same as the average scoop of protein powder in terms of content. A scoop of protein powder is far cheaper than that 1 euro.

Though eggs taste a whole lot nicer if you have time to cook!

• Advertisement

rubadub wrote: »
    Most would not call TVP a wholefood. In fact if you go by the definition on wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whole_foods

Then even milk in the supermarkets is not a wholefood, since it is homogenized (or can you get it unhomogenized anywhere?), I think it is illegal to sell raw unpastuerised milk.

That is getting technical about it but you are quite right.

If you want some really cheap protein then make friends with some one who fishes! Ive about 40 fish at home in my freezer all for the price of a pint!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭dioltas

If you want some really cheap protein then make friends with some one who fishes! Ive about 40 fish at home in my freezer all for the price of a pint!

That's unreal! I love fish, but it can be so feckin expensive...

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭top madra

top madra wrote: »
    well i was on this site myprotein.co.uk im looking to get some whey and creatine mono, i was takin maxi-muscles cyclone and then complete fusion by complete supplements,,

my prob is theres alot to choose from and im not sure what im looking for,which whey/creatine etc?

bump

• Registered Users Posts: 39,336 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

dioltas wrote: »
    That's unreal! I love fish, but it can be so feckin expensive...

Really???? How much are you talking?

I'm asking because, I never realy ate much fish at home. If it was given to me i'd eat it, but I'd never buy it when I was doing the shopping.

but since moving to Oz, I'm eating it at least once a week, usually twice. And its far far cheaper per portion that chicken, beef, lamb and pork.
    Portion of smoked cod was $2.20 (about 1.30 euro)
    Salmon was only slightly more expensive. (I think the girl may have put it through as cod too)

How much would salmon and cod be per kilo at home?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,336 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Almost forgot the reason I came in here.
    The last few months I've been trying to sort my diet, and its far better to what it was a year ago. Then few weeks ago I joined a gym (I got a job so could afford it). Now my main job is weight loss at the minute. So obviously i'm trying to maintain a calorie deficit, so I haven't gone near protein shakes or supplements.

At the minute my short term goal is to lose 6 kilos over the next 6 weeks (my birthday, nothing special, just a target).
    The trainer in the gym suggested I come in before work when I can. And work out on a empty stomach, makes sense to me as i'd be burning only fat. Then have breakfast afterwards.

I was thinking about breakfast on the way to the office and was wondering about shakes.
    Would it be a good/bad idea to have a shake for breakfast on days after the gym?
    What are the pros and cons.
    I'd be aiming to size the shake so as to be the same as a typical breakfast.
    Is this a good idea. Would I be better off with a breakfast smoothie

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

top madra wrote: »

I just get the cheapest whey, which last time I checked was unflavoured whey in 10lb bags http://www.myprotein.co.uk/bulk-supplies/unflavoured-protein/impact-whey-protein-(unflavoured)/

I would then get flavouring, this allows you adjust the flavour to your own taste, mine varies day by day. I also use the flavouring in milk on its own, and with oats in the morning instead of sugar, and in pancakes. I also use the unflavoured whey in other recipies too.

they do flavouring too http://www.myprotein.co.uk/products/flavouring-systems/ strawberry gets good reviews.

next time I order I am getting the mixer thingy seen here http://www.myprotein.co.uk/products/accessories/mp-max-blender-bottle/

Mellor wrote: »
    I'm asking because, I never realy ate much fish at home. If it was given to me i'd eat it, but I'd never buy it when I was doing the shopping.
    The cheapest fish I get (bar dunnes fish fingers!) is frozen unbreaded fillets in lidl, they are €10-12 per kilo depending on type, and they have loads of different types of fresh fish.
    Mellor wrote: »
    I was thinking about breakfast on the way to the office and was wondering about shakes.
    I would put oats in to the shake if you are, it blends up and you don't really notice it. If it was me I would make porridge pancakes with egg & whey in the mix and some sulatanas or raisins. If these are made thick they are sort of like scones and I could eat them cold no problem.

rubadub wrote: »

The cheapest fish I get (bar dunnes fish fingers!) is frozen unbreaded fillets in lidl, they are €10-12 per kilo depending on type, and they have loads of different types of fresh fish.

If you look in Dunnes they often have smoked coley on special 4.99 per kilo whick is so cheap!!! Very same as smoked haddock!! Id eat it all day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

If you look in Dunnes they often have smoked coley on special 4.99 per kilo whick is so cheap!!! Very same as smoked haddock!! Id eat it all day!

Half a kilo of prawns in Tesco 3.99 FTW

Half a kilo of prawns in Tesco 3.99 FTW

they are one thing I cant eat!! and perriwinkles! ewwww

good price though! lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭Esse85

newby.204 wrote: »

any experiences?
    I used them 2 weeks ago.

Customer service is excellent.

Regards the shipping, their actually a little dearer than the other bulk suppliers, they cost £8.99 under 30kg to Ireland.

I asked for a free sample of unflavoured whey and they gave me one.

I would use them again.

Advertisement