Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supplements

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

Killme00 wrote: »
    What effect does iron have on a man?

turning out like this is known to be one side effect:

http://www.nassaulibrary.org/centreblog/ironman.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

just wondering what people think of my current supplementation:

1 x Animal Pak (every day) (Multi Vitamin)
    1 x Animal Pump (every day) (Creatine)
    1 x Animal M Stak (21 days out of each month, then a week off) (Cortisol blocker)
    3 x fish oil tabs
    1 x glucosamine sulphate/chondritin tablet
    3 x ZMA tabs

Reflex protein shakes, about 3 per day.

I dont really want to be slated about cost of supplements, the cost doesnt matter to me.

I have researched them a good bit, I have a B.Sc. in Biochem and am a Biology teacher so i know a good bit about nutrition, biomolecules etc.

Im just wondering if there;s anything else anyone reckons i could/should be taking or any reason to pull the plug on one or some of my existing supplements.

thanks in advance

Liam

MiciG91 wrote: »
    I need to bulk up im about 5 11,10 and a half stone i have started going to the gym alot this year and im thinking of going on creatine or protein or both but i dont have a clue what to go on tbh. . . any suggestions

Creatine works and you can take ith with protein shakes.
    dont go for cheap creatine tho, try to go for Creatine ehtyl ester, the mon can be hard on the stomach.
    dont work about loading phases and maintenance phases.
    take 5g before your workout and 5g after.
    you can even mix the creatine into your protein shakes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Swizz

Why's everyone on Nutrition X its definitely not the best tasting or quality.

Gaspari Myofusion is great protein and BSN Syntha 6 is good aswell. They both taste great and mix well.

MiciG91 wrote: »
    I need to bulk up im about 5 11,10 and a half stone i have started going to the gym alot this year and im thinking of going on creatine or protein or both but i dont have a clue what to go on tbh. . . any suggestions

Get your workout sorted first, then diet, then supps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭Esse85

just wondering what people think of my current supplementation:

1 x Animal Pak (every day) (Multi Vitamin)
    1 x Animal Pump (every day) (Creatine)
    1 x Animal M Stak (21 days out of each month, then a week off) (Cortisol blocker)
    3 x fish oil tabs
    1 x glucosamine sulphate/chondritin tablet
    3 x ZMA tabs

Reflex protein shakes, about 3 per day.

I dont really want to be slated about cost of supplements, the cost doesnt matter to me.

I have researched them a good bit, I have a B.Sc. in Biochem and am a Biology teacher so i know a good bit about nutrition, biomolecules etc.

Im just wondering if there;s anything else anyone reckons i could/should be taking or any reason to pull the plug on one or some of my existing supplements.

thanks in advance

Liam
    I think its overkill and a waste of money but fair enough if money means nothing to you.

Why the Zma, can you not sleep?

How long have you been training for, and post up your diet?

people like nutrition X cause its an irish company

I have problems getting more than 6 hours sleep so thats the reason for the ZMA

On a good day my diet would be:

7.45 am 2 scoops reddy brek, 2 scoops protein powder + 500ml low fat milk
    slice of brown bread toast and a banana

11 am tuna sandwich on brownbread and a granola bar + protein shake

1 pm chicken wrap, 2 pieces of fruit and a granola bar

pre workout, all the animal supps, bottle of lucozade

post workout, fish oils, glucosamine, condritin, protein shake

evening meal some sort of meat and 3 veg

i usualy do pretty well up to 7/8 o clock in the evening
    then i can fall off the wagon and eat ****e like chicken kebabs, crisps, chocolate etc.
    but im no looking to lose weight really. if that changes, its the evening that i need to work on.
    But im going back teaching tomorrow so my day will be a lot more structured and things should improve a bit.

Ive been training properly with weights for about 2 years
    I have gone from 94kg when i last competed in a TKD competition in 2006 to 112kg now.

lifts have gone from
    bench 90kg in 2007 to 105kg now
    DL - 140kg in 2007 to 182.5kg now
    squat - 130kg in 2007 to 155kg now

I;m currently on my second cycle of the 5/3/1 programme and expect these 1rms to increase in the near future. havent tested the squat or bench in about 6months

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Lorakar

I find that any brand with vanilla flavour goes down really well with low fat milk!

To weight 112kg, id consider increasing the calories, there doesnt appear to be much food after 1 o'clock.

Why no carbs with the evening meal??

Consider healthy fats too such as oily fish, peanut butter, nuts etc...

You have a decent amount of fruit + veg so why the need for the animal pak??

I'd seriously consider dropping half the supps there and concentrate on getting sufficient calories into your diet through food.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Rob2593

Hey guys, I'm currently 9 stone and I want to start eating healthy, but to be quite honest, I read this post and i'm still confused on what I should eat. I'm 16, and i'm trying to get stronger. Does anybody have any ideas what I should be eating, everyday items, or where I can get some good food/shakes for realitivly cheap? As I don't have a job.

My current workout: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055662841

Cheers guys, really appreciate all the advice you guys have helped me with!

Rob

Rob2593 wrote: »
    Hey guys, I'm currently 9 stone and I want to start eating healthy, but to be quite honest, I read this post and i'm still confused on what I should eat. I'm 16, and i'm trying to get stronger. Does anybody have any ideas what I should be eating, everyday items, or where I can get some good food/shakes for realitivly cheap? As I don't have a job.

My current workout: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055662841

Cheers guys, really appreciate all the advice you guys have helped me with!

Rob
    Probably better to start a new thread.

Eggs, tuna, cottage cheese, milk, nuts and oats are all pretty cheap and are essential if your only 9 stone and wanna get stronger.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Rob2593

Esse85 wrote: »
    Probably better to start a new thread.

Eggs, tuna, cottage cheese, milk, nuts and oats are all pretty cheap and are essential if your only 9 stone and wanna get stronger.
    Alright cheers man, i'll make one now then!

Esse85 wrote: »
    To weight 112kg, id consider increasing the calories, there doesnt appear to be much food after 1 o'clock.

Why no carbs with the evening meal??

Consider healthy fats too such as oily fish, peanut butter, nuts etc...

You have a decent amount of fruit + veg so why the need for the animal pak??

I'd seriously consider dropping half the supps there and concentrate on getting sufficient calories into your diet through food.

see, i count potatoes as one of my 3 veg and id have about 3 scoops of mashed potato with every evening meal.

I do tent to get quite hungry in the evenings, and as i said, i eat a lot of crappy stuff in the evenings and get my calories in that way.

i appreciate your input, but i wont be dropping the supplements

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 jackonmsn

well i hope its legit i just agreed to buy some

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

I hope he is registered for tax...

I reckon you'd be a lunatic to buy stuff off some random geezer on gumtree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 jackonmsn

if its all sealed with original packaging etc. i dont see why not its not as if he's selling it at a ridiculous price its about ten quid cheaper then orderin from the us ....credit card + two weeks delivery+ possible customs seizure is all a hassle. just cause its supplements and not an old tv doesnt mean its not just a legit guy sellin some stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

I have problems getting more than 6 hours sleep so thats the reason for the ZMA

The lack of sleep could easily be down to the amount of crap you eat at night. So I would look into changing that. Also you seem to be lacking in good fats in your diet as well. So truthfully I would look into sorting out your diet first as oppose to trying to plug the holes with supplements.

That said if you have money to burn udos oil probably wouldn't go a miss

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Crystal_Baller

Extreme Rush by BlueStar Nutraceuticals is 100 times better then N.O. Xplode....hands down

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Extreme Rush by BlueStar Nutraceuticals is 100 times better then N.O. Xplode....hands down

100x AND hands down :eek::eek::eek:

• Advertisement

people like nutrition X cause its an irish company

LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Chris89

I'd worry about you buying it in the first place, never mind off some lad on tinternet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭djtechnics1210

Currently using maximusle cyclone.
    Due to recession and all that just wondering if you guys could recommend anything cheaper or even better than maximuscle cyclone.
    I like the way that it has both protein and creatine in it saves me having to buy seperate tubs.

All suggestions etc appreciated
    DJ
    http://www.maximuscle.ie/cyclone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

i appreciate your input, but i wont be dropping the supplements

how much do you spend on Supp[s each month if you don't mind me askin?

Currently using maximusle cyclone.
    Due to recession and all that just wondering if you guys could recommend anything cheaper or even better than maximuscle cyclone.
    I like the way that it has both protein and creatine in it saves me having to buy seperate tubs.

All suggestions etc appreciated
    DJ
    http://www.maximuscle.ie/cyclone
    http://www.myprotein.co.uk/formulas/mp-formulas/hurricane-xs-(2500g)/

or

http://www.bulksupplementsdirect.co.uk/khxc/gbu0-catshow/BSD_Regenerate.html

no, dont mind you asking at all
    I buy about 3 months supply at a time and spend about 550 euro for everything that will last me 3 months

about 2200 per year.
    gym membership is only costing me 360 per year.

Im 26, have a decent salary, live at home, and have no kids so thats why money doesnt really bother me in relation to buying supps.

tbh, im giving them a year, will assess numbers and then make a verdict as to how good they are and if ill keep buying them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭guile45

jackonmsn wrote: »
    well i hope its legit i just agreed to buy some

you buyin off the same guy?
    when u expecting urs?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Does anybody know any shops in dublin selling oat flour? I see it online but it costs more than even organic oat flakes here, you would think it should be even cheaper as I presume it is mainly the "dust" from processed rolled oats. I thought it would be in health shops but have tried 3 now with no luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭d-gal

Quick bit of input from my point of view to everyone:

Pre-workout: Trac by MHP or Slingshot by Axis Labs (Slingshot more so for the endurance athlete)

Post workout: Dark Matter by MHP (probably the most effective product I have had)

During workout: Xtend by Scivation (mix it into your water bottle, have yet to have DOMs the next day after taking this)

Weight Gainer: Mutant Mass by PVL (over 1000calories per serving and blends extremely easily unlike most gainers and goes down smoothly)

Value Protein: Scivation 10lb bag - €70 - great value and great taste, lots of servings with a high protein count

Now most people would know I post here infrequently due to my work but these are the general products that work well for me. Give them a try, if you have trouble finding some of them (one or two of the brands have given the sole rights to one distributor in Ireland) then just PM me.

Dave

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

rubadub wrote: »
    Does anybody know any shops in dublin selling oat flour?

Never seen it on sale here. You could just make your own if you have a food processor.

Advertisement