Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supplements

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭jt_dublin

Swizz wrote: »
    Why's everyone on Nutrition X its definitely not the best tasting or quality.

Gaspari Myofusion is great protein and BSN Syntha 6 is good aswell. They both taste great and mix well.

Swizz, please give us some facts to show that Nutrition X is definitely not the best quality and why BSN is better? First requirement in the charter for postings in this forum is to backup your statements with proven facts.

Here's one of the reasons that some people are on Nutrition X. These are the nutritional comparisons between Nutrition X Pro-Matrix that you say is not best quality and the BSN Syntha 6 that you say is good.

Per 100 grams.

Nutrition X Pro-Matrix
    Energy Calories 375
    Protein 72.23
    Carbohydrates 10.77
    (of which sugars) 2.5g
    Fat 2g
    (of which saturates) 0.8g

Syntha-6
    Energy Calories 454
    Protein 52
    Carbohydrates 30
    (of which sugars) 4.6
    Fat 13.6
    (of which saturates) 4.5

The OP is asking about a protein shake, not a protein, carb, sugar & fat shake. The Nut-X shake has almost 40 percent more protein. Yes, you have to multiply 52g of protein in the BSN product by 1.40 to get the same amount of protein that you get in the Nutrition X product. You say it tastes good. Of course it does. It has almost 3 times the amount of carbs ( 30 grams instead of 10.77), nearly twice the amount of sugars (4.6 grams against 2.5g) and it has almost 7 times, yes 7 times the amount of fat (13.6 grams as opposed to the 2 grams in NutritionX).

OP, I suppose it all depends on what your goals and priorities are. If quality, high protein, low carb & low fat comes first and a great flavour is an added bonus, then you will see why a lot of posters here are fans of Nutrition X.

If you want higher carbs, sugars, fat then you can try the BSN product, or add the orange flavour ice-cream that you suggested.

Plus OP, in your second post you are talking about a post-workout recovery shake rather than a straight protein shake. I use Nutrition X RAM and the Orange flavour in ice cold water (totally agree Rubadub) is great and I have never felt any reason to add anything to it to make it any better. Again, this is just my humble opinion in relation to the OP's request for suggestions!

One other thing... if you do try the Nutrition X Pro-matrix shakes... you only use 100ml of water/milk per scoop. This might seem very little but it makes a lovely smoothie type shake. Right... I"m off to have one right now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

steak tastes nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭joepenguin

jt_dublin wrote: »
    H. I'm currently addicted to the Coconut flavour. If they bring out the Turkey & Ham one, I'll be having it for Christmas dinner!

http://nutritionx.ie/store/promatrix5lb-p-51.html

Regards,
    JT.

On the coconut myself at the mo as well. Loving it!!!

OP if you are having it at home just try it with milk, i find it tastes a lot nicer. If you have a blender then there are endless possibilities. Natural yoghurt and frozen fruit works for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

they sell it in most cafes, its called a double espresso with placebo sprinkled on top

ouch that sounds pricey!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭TrueMass

Extreme Rush by BlueStar Nutraceuticals is 100 times better then N.O. Xplode....hands down

Where can you get this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Khannie wrote: »
    You could just make your own if you have a food processor.
    Yeah, I do that already, it is grand but not superfine flour. I've been reading reviews on the supp sites and it seems the ultra fine stuff mixes straight off. The liquidised stuff is OK, but a bit too coarse for some uses, like coating chicken fillets.

I will get some online, its £2 per kilo which is about twice the price I can get oats, but its still dirt cheap I suppose. Strange that its not available, seems an obvious flour to have, its used in breakfast cereals and there are loads of other oat products. The health stores have every other flour under the sun!

rubadub wrote: »
    Yeah, I do that already, it is grand but not superfine flour. I've been reading reviews on the supp sites and it seems the ultra fine stuff mixes straight off. The liquidised stuff is OK, but a bit too coarse for some uses, like coating chicken fillets.

I will get some online, its £2 per kilo which is about twice the price I can get oats, but its still dirt cheap I suppose. Strange that its not available, seems an obvious flour to have, its used in breakfast cereals and there are loads of other oat products. The health stores have every other flour under the sun!

How do you find the fine oat flour?

TrueMass wrote: »
    How do you find the fine oat flour?
    I can't find it, thats the problem ;)
    I was saying I am going to get it. Haven't used it yet, I asked in the food forum if anywhere has it too.

Check comments here
    http://www.myprotein.co.uk/index.cfm?page=product-review&id=2;93

and here

http://www.bulkpowders.co.uk/product.php/267/0/rev/

the negative ones are lads just eating it straight, I plan on using it for cooking, I would not drink wheat flour straight like that either!

I see, could be a good combo with protein for a homemade gainer or MRP.

Swizz, please give us some facts to show that Nutrition X is definitely not the best quality and why BSN is better? First requirement in the charter for postings in this forum is to backup your statements with proven facts.

Here's one of the reasons that some people are on Nutrition X. These are the nutritional comparisons between Nutrition X Pro-Matrix that you say is not best quality and the BSN Syntha 6 that you say is good.

Per 100 grams.

Nutrition X Pro-Matrix
    Energy Calories 375
    Protein 72.23
    Carbohydrates 10.77
    (of which sugars) 2.5g
    Fat 2g
    (of which saturates) 0.8g

Syntha-6
    Energy Calories 454
    Protein 52
    Carbohydrates 30
    (of which sugars) 4.6
    Fat 13.6
    (of which saturates) 4.5

The OP is asking about a protein shake, not a protein, carb, sugar & fat shake. The Nut-X shake has almost 40 percent more protein. Yes, you have to multiply 52g of protein in the BSN product by 1.40 to get the same amount of protein that you get in the Nutrition X product. You say it tastes good. Of course it does. It has almost 3 times the amount of carbs ( 30 grams instead of 10.77), nearly twice the amount of sugars (4.6 grams against 2.5g) and it has almost 7 times, yes 7 times the amount of fat (13.6 grams as opposed to the 2 grams in NutritionX).

OP, I suppose it all depends on what your goals and priorities are. If quality, high protein, low carb & low fat comes first and a great flavour is an added bonus, then you will see why a lot of posters here are fans of Nutrition X.

If you want higher carbs, sugars, fat then you can try the BSN product, or add the orange flavour ice-cream that you suggested.

Plus OP, in your second post you are talking about a post-workout recovery shake rather than a straight protein shake. I use Nutrition X RAM and the Orange flavour in ice cold water (totally agree Rubadub) is great and I have never felt any reason to add anything to it to make it any better. Again, this is just my humble opinion in relation to the OP's request for suggestions!

One other thing... if you do try the Nutrition X Pro-matrix shakes... you only use 100ml of water/milk per scoop. This might seem very little but it makes a lovely smoothie type shake. Right... I"m off to have one right now!

Eh hold on a second, where the f*ck did you get your info on Syntha 6 from ???????

Syntha 6 Facts

You're not comparing like with like by any stretch of the imagination.

I have no idea where you got your information.

And Syntha 6 is a far nicer tasting protein shake than nutrition x whey.

The nicest thing Nutrition X make is RAM in Orange flavour - but that does nothing for me anymore in terms of recovery that a protein shake can't do.

EDIT: Ram also has a lot of sugar too if i remember correctly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

Hanley wrote: »
    100x AND hands down :eek::eek::eek:

That's right Hanley, that's 200 HANDS DOWN!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

steak tastes nice.

Kind of hard to drink it in a shake though...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭joepenguin

Eh hold on a second, where the f*ck did you get your info on Syntha 6 from ???????

Syntha 6 Facts

You're not comparing like with like by any stretch of the imagination.

I have no idea where you got your information.

And Syntha 6 is a far nicer tasting protein shake than nutrition x whey.

The nicest thing Nutrition X make is RAM in Orange flavour - but that does nothing for me anymore in terms of recovery that a protein shake can't do.

EDIT: Ram also has a lot of sugar too if i remember correctly.

Point being that syntha 6 has more carbs and fat than should be present in a regular protein shake. Whereas RAM has the right amount of carbs as it is a recovery shake and depending on your activity you may want a 2:1 or 3:1 carb:protein ratio. Thats why the sugar is there.

I got a sample of dymatize muscle milk (or something to that affect) a few years back and it tasted unbelievable, but was loads of fat or sugar or both, while it tasted gorgeous it waasnt what i was after. Had even more than syntha 6 i think.

Met-Rx meal replacements were my favourite tasting MRP a few years back also but look at the ingredient list. Its as long as your arm and has or at least had aspartame. They have changed it since and imo tastes horrible but taste varies from person to person anyway. ASTs one tasted nice too but with mist of the american stuff, far too many additives for my liking.

Kash Whining Undershirt: Im sure other companies do coconut also. If you are sick of the ones you have try adding them into smoothies. Even just throw in protein powder/frozen berries and milk/water, as for chocolate, maybe mix it with bananas/peanut butter/fine oats/milk etc.

There are loads of flapkack / protein bar recipies floating about as well. Might help you get through that last 20kg!!! :eek:

Entrepreneur,

I think you will find that's it you who is not comparing like with like.... If you read my post properly you would have seen that my figures are comparing each per 100g. Your stats link to a BSN serving not 100g.

Come back when you've done the maths.

ps. And there is no need for the 4 letters words either. As the posting charter says, Be Nice, it wont kill you.

Have a nice day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Queev18

Has anyone got there hands on MYO-T12(Myostatin Inhibitor)developed by Carol Colker?If so how have you found it?Cheers

Do you mind posting the link where you got your info from and I'll happily do the maths?

Why are you comparing per 100 grams ??? It confuses things.

Syntha 6 is a great quality protein - I suppose if you're being really anti-carbs, it's not for you but if you had a healthy balanced diet then you'd have nothing to worry about in your gym life.

I can't take people seriously who knitpick the tiniest things when they don't have perfect healthy lives themselves - smokers, frequent drinkers, regular chip/snackbox eaters etc etc - not saying that's you but if the gym locker rooms are anything to go by, 90% of people who work out look average from a physique point of view at best i.e. they are on a permanent bulk. If all they had to worry about was what's in ther protein shake, the fitness world would be a better place IMO.

Entrepreneur,

Why does comparing both of them per 100g confuse things for you?

A serving of Nutrition X is 30 grams. What is the size of a Syntha 6 serving? Your link certainly doesnt tell you, so how can you compare it to anything?

A serving of Syntha 6 is 44 grams, so now which is more confusing for you? Comparing them per serving or per 100 grams.

Again, come back when you've done the maths.

Who is nitpicking the tiniest things. Syntha 6 has 3 times the amount of carbs and almost 7 times the amount of fat compared to Nutrition X Pro-matrix ... I wouldnt call those stats tiny, would you? The OP asked for advice on protein shakes and for him to make an informed decision, he should know the facts of what is in each.

Have a nice day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

hmm I think goin to your butchers and gettin a nice steak would be easier, better and less confusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭RHunce

hey lads

ok i work out 3 times a week, monday, wednesday and friday. school is starting tomorrow and im going into 5th year now. ive been working out 3 days a week for just over three months but now i think its time to up my weight to match my height. i'm 5'11", 140lbs. i have never taken a supplement before and i would like to start taking whey protein. i cant go to the gym in the evening because it will be very busy and wont get home from school until half 6 because of evening study. i also train 2-3 times a week for gaelic football. i play minor, 21's and senior. minor and 21's is over but we're mid way through the senior championship, we also have a match every two weeks.

my meals consist of porridge for breakfast with sliced bananas for flavour. lunch i'll usually have a sandwhich with cheese and ham and again for break. a packet of taytos and always a packet of sweets, i realise i should probably replace them with nuts for naturaly protein.

i really need to start putting on the weight and i would like it to be mostly lean muscle, the men im up against in the matches are 13/14 stone so this can really help.

ive read through the stickies etc but i think this needs an individual thread.

so at last, how often should i take whey protein and should i take it on days off?

Entrepreneur,

Why does comparing both of them per 100g confuse things for you?

A serving of Nutrition X is 30 grams. What is the size of a Syntha 6 serving? Your link certainly doesnt tell you, so how can you compare it to anything?

A serving of Syntha 6 is 44 grams, so now which is more confusing for you? Comparing them per serving or per 100 grams.

Again, come back when you've done the maths.

Who is nitpicking the tiniest things. Syntha 6 has 3 times the amount of carbs and almost 7 times the amount of fat compared to Nutrition X Pro-matrix ... I wouldnt call those stats tiny, would you? The OP asked for advice on protein shakes and for him to make an informed decision, he should know the facts of what is in each.

Have a nice day.

Hey you're really good at maths.

It is nitpicking. If you read my post, you'd see that most people don't have the right to be that nitpicky because the rest of their diet/lifestyle is crap.

It is normal to have fats and carbs as part of a healthy balanced diet you know ? It's not that big a deal. You're over analysing.

• Advertisement

Can anyone please recommend a great flavour on myprotein.co.uk ?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

RHunce wrote: »
    hey lads

ok i work out 3 times a week, monday, wednesday and friday. school is starting tomorrow and im going into 5th year now. ive been working out 3 days a week for just over three months but now i think its time to up my weight to match my height. i'm 5'11", 140lbs. i have never taken a supplement before and i would like to start taking whey protein. i cant go to the gym in the evening because it will be very busy and wont get home from school until half 6 because of evening study. i also train 2-3 times a week for gaelic football. i play minor, 21's and senior. minor and 21's is over but we're mid way through the senior championship, we also have a match every two weeks.

my meals consist of porridge for breakfast with sliced bananas for flavour. lunch i'll usually have a sandwhich with cheese and ham and again for break. a packet of taytos and always a packet of sweets, i realise i should probably replace them with nuts for naturaly protein.

i really need to start putting on the weight and i would like it to be mostly lean muscle, the men im up against in the matches are 13/14 stone so this can really help.

ive read through the stickies etc but i think this needs an individual thread.

so at last, how often should i take whey protein and should i take it on days off?

Alright man its gonna sound like im being condesending but seriously, Just eat a ****load, just shovel food into your mouth, drink a crateload of milk and then get more food into you. For protein id reccomend optimum nutrition whey, Just get their basic whey and take it on your off days aswell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Can anyone please recommend a great flavour on myprotein.co.uk ?

Thanks

I have to say Chocolate mint is the business. Chocolate nut tastes quite like Cadbury Whole Nut bars too :)

I have to say Chocolate mint is the business. Chocolate nut tastes quite like Cadbury Whole Nut bars too :)

Thank you for that :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

why do supplements have such large containers (tubs) and then are not even half full?? cannot understand this. you buy the thing and its only 1/3 full. eg bought some nutritionx RAM recently, barely 1 third full of powder.

very deceptive packaging

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    very deceptive packaging
    Its the same as breakfast cereals, says something like "this product is sold by weight, not volume, some settling might have occured during transit". If it is short of weight it is deceptive, otherwise I see no problem. If they had different containers for each product they would probably all cost more. Economies of scale will make it cheaper to use as few containers as they can manage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭john_cappa

why do supplements have such large containers (tubs) and then are not even half full?? cannot understand this. you buy the thing and its only 1/3 full. eg bought some nutritionx RAM recently, barely 1 third full of powder.

very deceptive packaging

I have seen an oped RAM before and it is ridiculous!

That product is a load of **** by the by IMO, as are most recovery products

Post workout shakes are not really an essential tool in my opinion - nothing your standard protein shake and a handful of raisins and nuts can't solve.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

very deceptive packaging

I have never bought a supplement that hasn't been practically full, less than half is a joke :eek:

• Advertisement

colly10 wrote: »
    I have never bought a supplement that hasn't been practically full, less than half is a joke :eek:
    Why is it such an issue? if it was meant to be 1kg and was 500g then thats a problem, the only problem with a big container is it takes up room in your press. As I said before its sold by weight not volume.

Advertisement