Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supplements

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭discombobulate

Thanks for that john. Going to go ahead and put in an order this evening I think. Are there any other supplements you'd recommend I take in addition and also what to take when I do actually have time to eat as well as I would be in early sometimes depending on where i'm working.

Just to follow up would taking creatine before a workout help me to progress faster?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭gnolan

Just to follow up would taking creatine before a workout help me to progress faster?

I personally wouldn't bother with the creatine just yet. You say yourself that you are a novice, so you will more than likely make quick gains without the creatine. Maybe you could consider after 6 months or when you hit a serious plateau. Sort out a solid diet, and a program based on compound lifts and you'll make quick gains.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭john_cappa

gnolan wrote: »
    I personally wouldn't bother with the creatine just yet. You say yourself that you are a novice, so you will more than likely make quick gains without the creatine. Maybe you could consider after 6 months or when you hit a serious plateau. Sort out a solid diet, and a program based on compound lifts and you'll make quick gains.

Excellent advice
    Thanks for that john. Going to go ahead and put in an order this evening I think. Are there any other supplements you'd recommend I take in addition and also what to take when I do actually have time to eat as well as I would be in early sometimes depending on where i'm working.

The only other suppliment id recommend is a creatine. But as above id wait a few months also. Whwn you do use, start with creatine mono, its cheap as chips and can be got at myprotein or any other website. Take it before training on training days and first thing in morning on non training days.

when you do have time to eat after training the sky is your limit!

Make sure it has a carb source and a protein source and after that its up to you really

Carb sources

Oats
    Broccoli
    Sweet Potato
    Fiber Rich Veg
    Wholegrain Bread
    Basmati/Long Grain Rice
    Whole-wheat Pasta
    Whole meal Pitas
    Spinach
    Apples
    Pears
    Oranges
    Peaches
    Plums
    New Boiled Potatoes
    Yams
    Muesli (natural no sugar added)
    Natural bean soups
    Herbal teas
    Chickpeas
    Split beans
    Black beans
    Barley
    Onions
    Tomatoes
    Weetabix
    Any root veg

Proteins

Chicken (skin & bones removed) breast ideally
    Lean Red Meat
    Tuna
    Mackerel
    Salmon
    Low Fat Cottage Cheese
    Quark
    Turkey (skinless)
    Sardines
    Kippers
    Whey Protein shakes
    Veal
    Venison
    Soya Milk
    Tofu
    Quorn
    Tempeh
    Low fat Yoghurts
    Lentils
    Seeds
    Egg Whites
    Shellfish
    Buttermilk
    Bacon back
    Instone Puddings
    Halibut
    Herring
    Trout

One of favs is 3 large eggs fried with plenty of spices,3 slices of whole wheat bread and half a tin of drained beans plus a pint of milk

simple, to the point and tastes good.

The important thing is variety. Without varirty you will get bored of your diet and not keep it up. Get protein from different sources to ensure you are getting a full profile of aminos. Use diffferent carb sources. Use spices to meake stuff more interesting etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭john_cappa

gnolan wrote: »
    If you haven't used myprotein.co.uk before, feel free to use the code below in my sig for 5% off your order. I'm fairly sure i get some kind of "points" too, depending on what you spend. If you don't wanna use mine, there are other posters here who have something similar for myprotein.co.uk in their sig too.

damn now why didnt i put mine up lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭gnolan

john_cappa wrote: »
    damn now why didnt i put mine up lol!

To be fair, you've given a good bit of advice there, i wouldn't hold it against you......asshole buddy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭discombobulate

Thanks for all that info john. Been a great help. I'll try to put your advice to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

ANTIFA! wrote: »
    Where is the best place to get whey in dublin? and what price would i be looking at for the brand you recommend. budget isn't that big.

Whey is cheaper online but I picked up some Optimum Nutrition Gold standard whey in the supplement store in Phibsboro for 60quid (They'll throw in a shaker too if you don't have one).

They have a shop in town too but most supplement shops sell at the same price.

Also got the chocolate flavour, tastes absolutlely delicious with milk.

TrueMass wrote: »
    Maximuscle crap.

I don't know the nutritional info on it, I tend to be against maximuscle products from the off due to the terrible reputation (Best stuff in the world if you ask the kids)

quote]

Where is the basis for this? You just said you dont know the nutritional info!

They are very expensive, its a basic carbohydrate drink. I also cant see there terrible reputation, again for pricing but not for quality.

I know the info for their other products - just not viper and I'm not going to waste my time looking it up either.

If their other products are anything to go by, it's just overpriced junk which lacks the quality of other brands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭dave80

good deal going at nutrition connection 4x10lbs of whey for 200 euro plenty of flavours, free delivery, its good stuff iam using it at the mo

http://www.nutritionconnection.ie/goods-1078.html

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Yugioh

I'm a lurker here who has a few questions; I'm hoping someone can help. I'm 6 foot and 70kgs (and looking to put on a lot of good weight) if that matters.

Could someone explain what the pro/ cons are to using Prolab® Amino 2000 Amino Acid tablets (seen here -> http://www.nutritionconnection.ie/goods-123.html) to ordinary protein powder in terms of aiding muscles after a weights session?

I've also been recommended to use creatine, whats the best one to go for?

Finally any website recommendations for supplements? (Good shipping rates to the continent would be an added bonus!)

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭TrueMass

I know the info for their other products - just not viper and I'm not going to waste my time looking it up either.

If their other products are anything to go by, it's just overpriced junk which lacks the quality of other brands.

Well there other products for example Promax is in line with most whey proteins. I think it is over priced too but it is not Junk.

Yugioh wrote: »
    I'm a lurker here who has a few questions; I'm hoping someone can help. I'm 6 foot and 70kgs (and looking to put on a lot of good weight) if that matters.

Could someone explain what the pro/ cons are to using Prolab® Amino 2000 Amino Acid tablets (seen here -> http://www.nutritionconnection.ie/goods-123.html) to ordinary protein powder in terms of aiding muscles after a weights session?

I've also been recommended to use creatine, whats the best one to go for?

Finally any website recommendations for supplements? (Good shipping rates to the continent would be an added bonus!)

Thanks

The only thing i would say to you is that those aminos are just whey protein in tablet form, so you would have to take a lot of them. I would get the protein powder as you would get much better value from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Yugioh

The only thing i would say to you is that those aminos are just whey protein in tablet form, so you would have to take a lot of them. I would get the protein powder as you would get much better value from it.

Yeah you take 6 of them at a time, so not sure how that relates to powders in terms of protein intake. Any particular powders you'd recommend?

Yugioh wrote: »
    Yeah you take 6 of them at a time, so not sure how that relates to powders in terms of protein intake. Any particular powders you'd recommend?

The offer written about two pages up looks like a good deal and the product seems to get good reviews. Other reliable brands are Reflex, Optimum Nutrition, Maximuscle(expensive). Out of them you can get a good whey protein product.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Deisenaut

Hi everyone, don't know if anyone knows the answer to this, but I can't find it on the web. I have been reading up articles about Glycocyamine being used as a creatine precursor and the fact that it may be damaging if not used in conjuction with Betaine at a ration of (G) 1:4 (B).

Does anyone know if Ultimate Nutritions Mass Xtreme Gainer meets this and if not, by how much and are there other sources of Betaine?

Thanks in advance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

want 2 questions answered

why would you take a protein shake before going to bed???

does it improve muscle growth in your sleep after a workout that day?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

you would take a protein shake before going to bed to help stave off catabolic breakdown of muscle while asleep as you would be going 6-8 hours without food.
    casein protein or cottage cheese might be a good choice for this.
    yes, it can aid in muscle repair and ultimately growth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

right. is it not bad for the body to have food in the system before going to sleep

not too fond of cottage cheese

so would you just take one scoop of whey protein per 500ml then? more? eat anything else with it to keep it down?

cheers

it's up to you really man
    you could just have a pint of milk before going to bed and get 18g of protein in that way or mix one scoop pf whey with 300ml of milk and get it in that way.
    i dont have problems keeping it down but i might have a slice of wholemeal brown bread with it.
    its all about seeing what your body responds to.

some people dont believe in eating after 8 o clock, others think consuming dairy before bed can give nightmares.
    try it out and see what works for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭FishTaco

Hi guys, could anyone tell me what they reckon is the best protein supplement to buy? Have tried a few different one in the past like Syntrax Nectar and Gold Standard whey and got decent results, need a new tub now and I'm wondering is there anything better out there that I could take a look at?

• Advertisement

my own personal preference is Reflex

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

MyProtein.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 dialer

hi everyone,

not to move from the subject of protein, but what would you recomend as a pre and post work out suppliment.?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭guile45

got my supplements , all sealed and even given to me in the original parcel sent to him, with his home address on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 jackonmsn

sound .......still waitin on mine .....did u collect it off him in town or something ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭cojomo2

Are nutrional supplements free of VAT? I want to order a load of omega 3 EPA fish oils from iherb.com, now I know that duty is exempt if the order is less than 150 euro, my order amounts to 165 so I will split it up into two smaller orders to avoid the 12% duty.

But what about VAT? I rang up my vat office.. All they could say is that food and most nutritional supplements are vat free. I told him specefically they were omega 3 fish oils, and he said 'more than likely you won't be charged vat on this'...

On the website(iherb.com) they say all packages are marked 'food and nutritional supplements"

has any1 any experience with this, were u charged vat by customs ?

Thanks- sorry if this is posted in the wrong place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭guile45

jackonmsn wrote: »
    sound .......still waitin on mine .....did u collect it off him in town or something ?

he delivered them to my door. sound out
    what u waiting on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭curadh

Hi Dialer I dont think people on here are big supplement fans, I have the same problem with some sessions being low energy, no motivation, no focus etc. Tried drinking lucozade sport tonight instead of water and got on really well. Gonna try that for another week and see if its really making a difference.
    I would like to find a supplement that speeds up recovery and lets you train more often, therefore building muscle quicker.......but does that sound like steroids?!!:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

curadh wrote: »
    Tried drinking lucozade sport tonight instead of water and got on really well. Gonna try that for another week and see if its really making a difference.
    I would like to find a supplement that speeds up recovery and lets you train more often, therefore building muscle quicker.......but does that sound like steroids?!!:pac:

Did you know that tesco do a sports drink now for 49c. For all the world like lucozade sport. Also have you tried whey-based suppliments for building muscle?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭SIX PACK

Hi im on the market for supplements that wil giv me bigger biceps im going to the gym 4 times a week im 12st 6feet tall i start using creatine about 9 months ago but im seeing very little difference in my physique arm size etc. but im bench pressing a lot more than when i started the gym 5 months ago i was bench pressing 50kg now im lifting 90kg 3 sets of 8 no problem. there is afew polish guys in my gym who started around same time as me but they are massive now compared to me. & i do eat a lot including egg whites & 2 bananas a day feel like throwing in the towel :rolleyes:

Advertisement