Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supplements

Options

Comments

There is so much wrong with your post six pack. So so much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

There is so much wrong with your post six pack. So so much.

I couldn't have put it better myself..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

i'd love to see a video of this 3 sets of 8 at 90kg at 12 stone with 5 months training after starting at 50kg.

there are no supplements that target biceps i'm afraid

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...:X:AAQ:GB:1123

I just ordered this Optimum Nutrition 100% Gold Whey. Do i only take these shakes the days i am lifting? How do you make up the shakes? No instructions came with the bag?

Does anyone have any good recipes to eat with Chicken breasts? Would Uncle Bens Sauces just negate the effort made in exercising?

I have a fitness Log set up, but i thought i might get more responses in the main forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

with regard to making the shakes, just add water or milk ( i go for low fat milk), put in a shaker, put lid on, shake for 1 minute and drink.
    I'd take 3 shakes on training days and probably 2 on rest days.

pour olive oil in a wok, cook the chicken breasts til white, add in onion, peppers, baby sweet corn, add some fajita mix.
    tatstes great.

check the calorie content on the side of the uncle bens sauces.
    the korma is defo the most fattening, see which one is the lowest and dont use much

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

Hi Deeside

The link in your post does not seem to be working, however I also use ON 100% Gold Standard Whey.

I workout 6 days per week (3 cardio & 3 Weight training) and would usually take a shake after each workout. I also take one from time to time if I need to boost my protein intake for on a particular day (i.e. if I miss a meal or something).

Post Workout, I mix the following

Whey Powder x 2 scoops
    Glucose x 1 scoop (Hi GI Carb source)
    Creatine x 1 teaspoon
    L-Glutamine x 1 teaspoon
    Water x 450ml

To increase daily protein intake I would mix

Whey Powder x 1-2 scoops
    Creatine x 1 teaspoon
    L-Glutamine x 1 teaspoon
    Milk x 225-450 ml

Using milk slows down the absorbsion rate of the protein, so I obvisiously don't use milk post workout, as at this time you want the nutrients to get into your muscles as fast as possible.

I count the calories provided by the shakes into my daily calorie requirements.

Uncle Bens sauces would not be the best choice for using with chicken. Full of sugars and stuff.

A better idea would be to sweat off some diced onion in a saucepan, then throw in 1 or 2 tins of cherry tomatoes and cook out over a low heat for 2 minutes or so. To this you can add different herbs (Basil, Herbs de Provance etc) or maybe chilli powder or even sweat of some chilli with the onion starting off.

Or you could blend some extra virgin olive oil, Basil and toasted pine nuts for Pesto sauce. Tomato based sauces can be made in larger batches and will keep for 3 to 4 day in an airtight container in the fridge.

Make up some ratatouillee and have that with your chicken and you don't need a separate sauce as the ratatouille is wet enough. Again you can make this in a large-ish batch and it will keep in the fridge for 3 to 4 days. Same goes for a spicey bean casserole

Homemade Ministroni soup with chicken added is also nice or a Chicken and Veg broth. Throw in some barley and cahsew nuts.

Lots of different things to do with simple chicken. Remember Google is your friend and don't be afraid to experiment a little :)

Best Regards,

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Magic Eight Ball

Just as a matter of interest, how many grams of protein would be in a typical scoop of whey powder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

Just as a matter of interest, how many grams of protein would be in a typical scoop of whey powder?

24 i think.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Parsley wrote: »
    24 i think.

Depends on the protein blend and scoop size....

24 as an average sounds right assuming an 80% blend and 30g scoop!!!

scoop size x blend% = protein per scoop in grams like

Hanley wrote: »
    Depends on the protein blend and scoop size....

24 as an average sounds right assuming an 80% blend and 30g scoop!!!

scoop size x blend% = protein per scoop in grams like

most i've seen are 24-26ish anyway, but it'll be written on the box like

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

not sure if this will be of interest to anyone but I got it in a mail this morning. Basically 40lbs of TMU protein for €200 (€25 per 5lb). Now I don't know what flavours or if even if it is a good brand but sure you can look that up yourself

http://www.nutritionconnection.ie/goods-1081.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭john_cappa

SIX PACK wrote: »
    Hi im on the market for supplements that wil giv me bigger biceps im going to the gym 4 times a week im 12st 6feet tall i start using creatine about 9 months ago but im seeing very little difference in my physique arm size etc. but im bench pressing a lot more than when i started the gym 5 months ago i was bench pressing 50kg now im lifting 90kg 3 sets of 8 no problem. there is afew polish guys in my gym who started around same time as me but they are massive now compared to me. & i do eat a lot including egg whites & 2 bananas a day feel like throwing in the towel :rolleyes:

you started creatine 9 months ago? but are only training for 5 months?

Troll surely?

if not then you are class

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭tommy57

not sure if this will be of interest to anyone but I got it in a mail this morning. Basically 40lbs of TMU protein for €200 (€25 per 5lb). Now I don't know what flavours or if even if it is a good brand but sure you can look that up yourself

http://www.nutritionconnection.ie/goods-1081.html

have to say some range of protein powders that deal for 200 euro well worth it. seems like a good site for supplements.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭cojomo2

Can any1 here that has ordered supplements from outside the E.U confirm if customs charged them VAT or not?As far as i know , supplements(most of them) are not subject to VAT...

ANy1?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 gaasupporter

Hi All

I am looking at importing some supplements from the US for sale here in Ireland has anyone got any experience with this or could they point me in the right direction of who to talk to. Obviously i have shipping,customs and VAT charges but I am looking for info in the legal side. As in what government department looks after this.

Thanks in advance

B-Builder wrote: »

I workout 6 days per week (3 cardio & 3 Weight training) and would usually take a shake after each workout.

Whey Powder x 2 scoops
    Glucose x 1 scoop (Hi GI Carb source)Is that a scoop of sugar?
    Creatine x 1 teaspoonIs this really needed? All i have is the 100% Whey. I want to make a shake tonight.
    L-Glutamine x 1 teaspoon I have no idead what this is, i tried to google it.
    Water x 450ml

Thanks very much for your replies. I am certainly gonna take it all on board.

Hi All

I am looking at importing some supplements from the US for sale here in Ireland has anyone got any experience with this or could they point me in the right direction of who to talk to. Obviously i have shipping,customs and VAT charges but I am looking for info in the legal side. As in what government department looks after this.

Thanks in advance

are u sure? I was told that most supplements are regarded as foods and as such are not subject to VAT. Duty will be about 12% tho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 TaurusPower

I have had a good experience with Supplement Central. They carry everything.

I have had a good experience with Supplement Central. They carry everything.

if u have ordered off them, were u charged vat by irish customs?did u use dhl/ups?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 gaasupporter

That is good then if there is no Vat its 21% less.I have not ordered anything yet. I will be importing them for sale and the order is quite large so want to have all sorted before i do.

• Advertisement

You mean start a business selling supplements ? For one, the market is saturated, it was great to do it 4 years ago, not now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

You mean start a business selling supplements ? For one, the market is saturated, it was great to do it 4 years ago, not now.

Not for what i think he has in mind...

Taking my assumptions from his Username, it is very possible to sell direct to consumers who don't know any better... i.e many many many Gaa players :)

Whey Powder x 2 scoops
    Glucose x 1 scoop (Hi GI Carb source)Is that a scoop of sugar?
    Creatine x 1 teaspoonIs this really needed? All i have is the 100% Whey. I want to make a shake tonight.
    L-Glutamine x 1 teaspoon I have no idead what this is, i tried to google it.
    Water x 450ml

When I decided to start taking a post workout shake I did some reading up on what was required for best results. I also asked the guy in the supplement shop in Capel St for his recommendation.

The general consensus seemed to be that a Hi GI carb source helps to transport nutrients into the muscle after an intense workout. So my thinking was that as Glucose is already in the form that the body can use quickly, without the need to digest or break it down to much, so I chose that as my carb source. I use the same scoop that I use for the whey to measure out the Glucose.

Creatine is supposed to help with muscle building so I use that also. I didn't bother with the loading phase. I just started with 1 teaspoon with every shake. I don't take it on my day off.

L-Glutamine is supposed to help with protein metabolism among other things and the guy in the supplement shop in Capel St, along with some articles I read online recommended it as part of the post workout shake, so again I add a teaspoon of this also.

If you look at the ON package I am sure you will see that there is 5g of Gutamine in each scoop of whey. At least there is in mine.

Some information on L-Glutamine here http://www.bodybuildingforyou.com/supplements-reviews/glutamine.htm

As I said, post workout I mix my shake with water as it is said that this provides the quickest absorption. Apparently mixing with milk slows the absorption rate down, which is not what you want post workout.

Hope that helps some.

Best Regards,

M

http://global-nutrition-inc.com/amino-acids-l-glutamine.html

Thats some great advice mate. Cheers for that. Could you help me out though. I understand why now i should add Glucose and glutamine.

Could you suggest some products like from the link from above for the glutamine.

Dont know where to buy glucose or what type would be best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Get0fix

Just saw your post and thought I'd add a quick line.

An Irish company called Universal Nutrition (http://www.universalnutrition.ie/) sells plenty of different proteins etc and they have a forum for questions on diet etc. They deliver for free anywhere in Ireland and the pricing is amazing!

Do yourself a favour and check it out. It helped me understand alot, and clear up many doubts that I had!

Hi There

Glutamine can be bought from any supplement shop or I have seen it also in some health shops (i.e. Holland & Barett). I usually buy the ON brand glutamine and Creatine, simply because it seems to be a good name and from what I have seen most of the reputable brands that I know of are pretty much the same price.

Glucose I buy in Dunnes Stores (Shamrock Brand), and can be usually found in either the home baking or dessert section of the store. Dextrose which is much the same thing can sometimes be picked up in supplement shops.

Hope that helps some.

Best Regards,

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭bigstar

just thought id add that post workout shakes are usually 2 part carbs to 1 part protein, you seem to have the other way round. so a scoop of protein is usually 24g or so, youd want 50g of glucose (not necessarily two scoops) and then whatever else you want. helps with the insulin spike and all that jazz.

B-Builder wrote: »
    Creatine is supposed to help with muscle building so I use that also. I didn't bother with the loading phase. I just started with 1 teaspoon with every shake. I don't take it on my day off.

Think you're going about using creatine the wrong way. It isn't a 'muscle-builder' per se. It doesn't work the way protein does in repairing and rebuilding muscle after a workout. Creatine is stored in your muscles, and helps the re-production of ATP for energy while you're lifting weights or doing hiit or whatever. It helps build strength and muscle insofar as it helps you work out a bit harder harder for a bit longer. It can also help the appearance of muscles as it draws water into them. So i think you're better off taking it every day, and probably in the morning before breakfast.

Parsley wrote: »
    Think you're going about using creatine the wrong way. It isn't a 'muscle-builder' per se. It doesn't work the way protein does in repairing and rebuilding muscle after a workout. Creatine is stored in your muscles, and helps the re-production of ATP for energy while you're lifting weights or doing hiit or whatever. It helps build strength and muscle insofar as it helps you work out a bit harder harder for a bit longer. It can also help the appearance of muscles as it draws water into them. So i think you're better off taking it every day, and probably in the morning before breakfast.

Hi Parsley

Cheers, yep I understand that and agree my statement was very generic, but it was late, I was just in from the gym and heading to bed after eating and was unable to put together an explaination as succintly as you did in your post. However the link I provided about Glutamine had in turn a link to information about Creatine, which went into the ATP re -production benefits etc.

Best Regards,

M

• Advertisement

bigstar wrote: »
    just thought id add that post workout shakes are usually 2 part carbs to 1 part protein, you seem to have the other way round. so a scoop of protein is usually 24g or so, youd want 50g of glucose (not necessarily two scoops) and then whatever else you want. helps with the insulin spike and all that jazz.

Hi Bigstar

Yep, Was told those proportions by the guy in the supplement shop in Capel St, but I thought he must be mistaken as I was sure he made a mistake as I thought that would make the shake sickly sweet.

I have to admit I have never tried those proportions though. Must make up a shake wit 50g Glucose per 24g protein and see what it tastes like.

Off Topic: Were you per chance in Westwood on Tuesday with the other half squatting, around 19:45-20:00 ish?

Seen a guy squatting and wearing Converse runners, and you mentioned that you were these. If it was you then kudos on the weight moved and the form. Really impressive :)

Best Regards,

M

Advertisement