Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supplements

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

B-Builder wrote: »
    Hi Parsley

Cheers, yep I understand that and agree my statement was very generic, but it was late, I was just in from the gym and heading to bed after eating and was unable to put together an explaination as succintly as you did in your post. However the link I provided about Glutamine had in turn a link to information about Creatine, which went into the ATP re -production benefits etc.

Best Regards,

M

Oh right fair enough. My point was though, that due to the way it works you're probably better off taking it even on the days you don't work out, so that you have a good store of it in your body for when you are working out. But if you find it's working for you the way you're using it now then i suppose it's fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

Parsley wrote: »
    Oh right fair enough. My point was though, that due to the way it works you're probably better off taking it even on the days you don't work out, so that you have a good store of it in your body for when you are working out. But if you find it's working for you the way you're using it now then i suppose it's fine.

Hi Parsley

That is a good pint, re taking it continously. To be honest I am not sure that I am using it correctly, as some of the articles I read advised of fairly big gains, and to be honest I have had nowhere near the success that I read was possible. Now saying that, I am 46 yr old, so maybe well past my peak for gaining size and expecting too much.

The reason I did not take it on my day off was mostly due reading articles about how creatine can be harmful to kidneys and liver and the reccommendation to cycle it. So evey 3 months or so I take a week off training completely (tourture :)) and take no supplements during this week and like wise I wasn't taking it on my off day.

It kind of hard when there is so much conflicting information available to know what you should do.

Thanks for the heads up.

Best Regards,

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭bigstar

Hi Bigstar

Yep, Was told those proportions by the guy in the supplement shop in Capel St, but I thought he must be mistaken as I was sure he made a mistake as I thought that would make the shake sickly sweet.

I have to admit I have never tried those proportions though. Must make up a shake wit 50g Glucose per 24g protein and see what it tastes like.

Off Topic: Were you per chance in Westwood on Tuesday with the other half squatting, around 19:45-20:00 ish?

Seen a guy squatting and wearing Converse runners, and you mentioned that you were these. If it was you then kudos on the weight moved and the form. Really impressive :)

Best Regards,

M

ya that was me, i thought i saw you benching but wasnt sure. il be up tonight about same time ill keep an eye out for you.

on the pwo shake ive read a good amount of carbs is 0.5 - 0.8g per kg of bpdyweight. so for me at 70kg it would be 35g - 56g and then half the amount of protein, so you weight the measures not just scoop them. as i understand it, the glucose raises your insulin which makes it easier to absorb the protein, creatine etc. quicker. theres stuff about in the first few pages of the supplement sticky.

Hi Parsley

That is a good pint, re taking it continously. To be honest I am not sure that I am using it correctly, as some of the articles I read advised of fairly big gains, and to be honest I have had nowhere near the success that I read was possible. Now saying that, I am 46 yr old, so maybe well past my peak for gaining size and expecting too much.

The reason I did not take it on my day off was mostly due reading articles about how creatine can be harmful to kidneys and liver and the reccommendation to cycle it. So evey 3 months or so I take a week off training completely (tourture :)) and take no supplements during this week and like wise I wasn't taking it on my off day.

It kind of hard when there is so much conflicting information available to know what you should do.

Thanks for the heads up.

Best Regards,

M

Ah fair enough. Also keep in mind, many sources say that creatine has little to no effect on about a fifth of people that take it.

bigstar wrote: »
    ya that was me, i thought i saw you benching but wasnt sure. il be up tonight about same time ill keep an eye out for you.

on the pwo shake ive read a good amount of carbs is 0.5 - 0.8g per kg of bpdyweight. so for me at 70kg it would be 35g - 56g and then half the amount of protein, so you weight the measures not just scoop them. as i understand it, the glucose raises your insulin which makes it easier to absorb the protein, creatine etc. quicker. theres stuff about in the first few pages of the supplement sticky.

Hi Bigstar

I had read the supplement sticky and understood the reason for adding the glucose, was just afraid that using those proportions (2:1) would produce a shake that was too sweet to stomach.

Have never read about the measureing though. I am 73kg so that equates to 36.5g - 58.4g glucose, and I usually take 2 scoops of protein powder in my PWO shake and 1 (protein scoop) of glucose which I weighed out at 30g.

I was thinking of a 2:1 ratio in regards to number of scoops, which would be 4 (protein) scoops of glucose :eek: in my PWO shake. I was thinking that I would be toothless by Christmas :D

Best Regards,

M

• Advertisement

Parsley wrote: »
    Ah fair enough. Also keep in mind, many sources say that creatine has little to no effect on about a fifth of people that take it.

Hi Parsley

Can I ask, if you were advising someone on the taking of Creatine, how would you advise them to take it?

I have read

1. 5g Morning, Pre & Post workout
    2. 5g Pre & Post workout
    Then there are those who appear to OD on the stuff, which I would not be sure about.

I am currently 11st 9lb, 13% - 14% and happy enough with how I look. My main reason for working out is just to be fit and healthy.

However if I had a wish, it would be to increase slightly in mass and definition on the upper body. I'm thinking about maybe 12st - 12st 7lb (though I have no idea what this would make me look) and maybe dropping the BF to around 10%. I kinda like the Brad Pitt/Mattew McConaghty look :)

Again as a 46yr old I am not sure how achieveable these goals are, but it's good to have something to aim for.

Best Regards,

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭bigstar

Hi Bigstar

I had read the supplement sticky and understood the reason for adding the glucose, was just afraid that using those proportions (2:1) would produce a shake that was too sweet to stomach.

Have never read about the measureing though. I am 73kg so that equates to 36.5g - 58.4g glucose, and I usually take 2 scoops of protein powder in my PWO shake and 1 (protein scoop) of glucose which I weighed out at 30g.

I was thinking of a 2:1 ratio in regards to number of scoops, which would be 4 (protein) scoops of glucose :eek: in my PWO shake. I was thinking that I would be toothless by Christmas :D

Best Regards,

M

i never used the glucose so never thought of the sweetness, you could add some flavouring to it maybe. atm i use some leftover gainer i have which is basically a 2:1 mix. i think most people mix one scoop of protein with 50 -60g of glucose. like a lucozade with whey in it. dunno how sweet it would be tbh.

Hi Parsley

Can I ask, if you were advising someone on the taking of Creatine, how would you advise them to take it?

I have read

1. 5g Morning, Pre & Post workout
    2. 5g Pre & Post workout
    Then there are those who appear to OD on the stuff, which I would not be sure about.

I am currently 11st 9lb, 13% - 14% and happy enough with how I look. My main reason for working out is just to be fit and healthy.

However if I had a wish, it would be to increase slightly in mass and definition on the upper body. I'm thinking about maybe 12st - 12st 7lb (though I have no idea what this would make me look) and maybe dropping the BF to around 10%. I kinda like the Brad Pitt/Mattew McConaghty look :)

Again as a 46yr old I am not sure how achieveable these goals are, but it's good to have something to aim for.

Best Regards,

M

I think 5g in the morning every day, and then 5g before training.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Is this as complicated as it sounds? I am getting a bit mixed up now.

I have purchased this: http://www.nextag.com/Optimum-Nutrition-Whey-Gold-550331980/prices-html

I havent opened it yet. I have started training. Weights Monday and Wednesday. Training Tuesday and Thursday. Match at the weekend.

I have a fitness log set up: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055663101

My diet is improving. I really just dont know how to make the shakes, and how frequently to take them.

Deedsie wrote: »
    Is this as complicated as it sounds? I am getting a bit mixed up now.

I have purchased this: http://www.nextag.com/Optimum-Nutrition-Whey-Gold-550331980/prices-html

I havent opened it yet. I have started training. Weights Monday and Wednesday. Training Tuesday and Thursday. Match at the weekend.

I have a fitness log set up: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055663101

My diet is improving. I really just dont know how to make the shakes, and how frequently to take them.

2 scoops' worth a day should be enough if your diet is decent. Either take them both in one shake after training, or two separate ones, one of them after training and one in the morning, or whenever you feel like. The post-training one should be made with water. Do you have a shaker? If so just throw in the protein, about 200-300mls of water (adjust to taste, experiment) and give it a good shaking. If you don't have a shaker i'd recommend you get one. If and when you get the glutamine etc just throw it in too and shake shake shake.

• Advertisement

Hi Deeside

Also a tip for you post workout shake.

In you local supermarket, pick up a box of sandwich bags. Basically a smallish plastic bag with a press seal top. Then before you go to the gym, measure out your Protein, Creatine, Glutamine, Glucose and throw it into the sandwich bag, seal the top and throw it into your shaker.

The I find when making the shake, it's best to put the water into the shaker first, then add the shake mix from the bag and shake for 30-40 seconds.

It amazes me when I see the number of guys (mostly teenagers) who after their workout take out these huge sports bags stuffed full with tubs of Protein, glutamine etc, etc and then blending the various powders for their shake. Can never understand why they lug all that stuff with them to the gym every time. I usually have 2 or 3 shake mixes in my bag and using my method it takes up little or no room.

Best Regards,

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Get0fix

Good tip B-Builder, thanks. I used to make my shakes up before leaving for work, and then stick them in the fridge until gym, but your way is far better.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭noel123ie

Hi all

I new to this muscle gain thing and six weeks in can see mucle gain

I have a reasonably good diet excecise in gym-weights 3/4 times a week and do a little cardio to warm up/cool down.

I take

BSN No XPLODE -half hour before workout
    Whey proten Supplement after gym(does this have to be taken within 1 hour)
    BSN Cellmass - after work out

Anything else I could try?

I do alot of cycling so fit just need to put on muscle

Thanks folks
    Noel

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Why not just add the dry powder(s) to a dry shaker? When the workout is finished just add water.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

BossArky wrote: »
    Why not just add the dry powder(s) to a dry shaker? When the workout is finished just add water.
    I think because...
    The I find when making the shake, it's best to put the water into the shaker first,
    I find this too, even though I don't use shakers, but it is more likely to end up clumped at the bottom if you have powder in first and pour on water.

I use a hand blender now and always add liquid first because of this. If I was in a gym I would have a thermos with ice cubes in it, the seals are good on thermos flasks, and the cubes will act as agitators to mix it better, but of course the main reason is to have it ice cold, dunno how people could stomach it at room temp, the shaking action warms up even cold water too.

I have seen wire ball things to go in shakers to aid mixing too.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Ok. A few minor clumps don't bother me. A good shake = bicep workout at the end of a workout :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

noel123ie wrote: »
    Hi all

Just wondering where you buy this?

I think that many supps this early is overkill tbh, you'd be better served trying to get your protein from whole food sources.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭john_cappa

bigstar wrote: »
    i never used the glucose so never thought of the sweetness, you could add some flavouring to it maybe. atm i use some leftover gainer i have which is basically a 2:1 mix. i think most people mix one scoop of protein with 50 -60g of glucose. like a lucozade with whey in it. dunno how sweet it would be tbh.

buy some maltodextin if the taste of the dextrose bothers you

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭noel123ie

Just wondering where you buy this?

I think that many supps this early is overkill tbh, you'd be better served trying to get your protein from whole food sources.

Get it from the usa why?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

+1 - Your only starting, your going to make huge gains for a while anyway, its alot of money for little, better off waiting till you plateau

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 gym bunny

hi people i was just wonderin wat supplements u can add to an overall healthy diet.

what does protein supplments invole is it a drink or pill and also wat improvements would they give to your body.

also are multivitamins good to take.

im 22 female 5'4 and 9stone9lbs. and wanna lose a few lbs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 gaasupporter

You mean start a business selling supplements ? For one, the market is saturated, it was great to do it 4 years ago, not now.

Hi lads apologies for not keeping up with the thread i was away. I am not planning on opening a supplement store. I have found a few select products which are not available this side of the pond but are used in NFL etc in the US. I know i have to get each product licenced now as i have looked on imb.ie. Its whether i need a wholesalers licence for this purpose i need to find out. I already have a medical company i just haven't looked into these products before and it wont be to people who dont know any better I am not out for a quick buck. These are benefical products and for performance.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

gym bunny wrote: »
    hi people i was just wonderin wat supplements u can add to an overall healthy diet.

what does protein supplments invole is it a drink or pill and also wat improvements would they give to your body.

also are multivitamins good to take.

im 22 female 5'4 and 9stone9lbs. and wanna lose a few lbs.

Always good to take calcium anyway, I figure if it's in a multivitamin pill then kewl. Protien generally is taken as a shake with milk. The pill yokes are generally Amino Acids. They'd be what protien is made from.Dunno what your target is, but hard to justify buying extra protien. A healthy diet is fine. The two things you might consider is calcium and EFAs.
    (Essential fatty acids). Both are available from your local health food store, so is good advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Frogdog

Gym bunny if you have an overall healthy diet you don't need supplements in my opinion.

However, going by your thread in the Diet & Nutrition forum you need more protein and healthy fats as already outlined. Examples of these can be found in the "Nutrition 101" sticky in the Diet & Nutrition forum and the "Fitness, the basics" sticky here in the Fitness forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 anieze_amelia

Hi, I have question to you :) Do you know the names n addresses of shops in London where can I but supplements n protein nutritions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭abceire

Hi all

I new to this muscle gain thing and six weeks in can see mucle gain

I have a reasonably good diet excecise in gym-weights 3/4 times a week and do a little cardio to warm up/cool down.

I take

Whey proten Supplement after gym(does this have to be taken within 1 hour)
    BSN Cellmass - after work out

Anything else I could try?

I do alot of cycling so fit just need to put on muscle

Thanks folks
    Noel
    there is so much u can try if you have the money, bcaa, creatine,ceasine protein,beta alaine,zinc and magniseum tablets ,lots and lots of stuff out there, not sure how much it works

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Riche670

Sorry Noel, any chance you could post a link to where you get this from? Have you had any customs issues bringing it in?

It was only hear'say, but I heard it had been banned here?

Do you find it does much for your workout?

Thanks,
    Rich.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭RolfHarris

Hey folks. I'm sure this has been answered authoritatively somewhere in this thread, but can anyone recommend a decent protein bar which I can buy in bulk?

I've been experimenting and like the Maximuscle bar, but can anyone recommend any others I should try before ordering a box of them?

Also, can anyone recommend a decent place to buy boxes of bars online to deliver to Dublin? Nutritionconnection.ie? Any good? My-protein.co.uk?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭mega man

I'm not sure but its quite easy to make them out of whey protein powder. there are lots of recipes online.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭RolfHarris

I'm not sure but its quite easy to make them out of whey protein powder. there are lots of recipes online.

Really? Cool. I like some sort of protein bar mid-afternoon to keep hunger away before going to the gym after work.

If I can make them at home, it'll be recession chic workouts!

Advertisement