Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supplements

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭mega man

RolfHarris wrote: »
    Really? Cool. I like some sort of protein bar mid-afternoon to keep hunger away before going to the gym after work.

If I can make them at home, it'll be recession chic workouts!

lol

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭RolfHarris

There are some awful interesting recipes out there on the internet, but this one sounds good:

• 3 cups oatmeal
    • 1/2 cup of peanut butter
    • 1 cup of skimmed milk
    • 4 scoops of protein
    Mix it all together, put into tray and place in fridge overnight.

I absolutely love peanut butter. I'll make it tonight and try it as a mid-afternoon pre-gym snack tomorrow. Might add a banana.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭djtechnics1210

How much water should i be drinking a day, currently taking maximuscle cyclone.
    Thanks in advance
    DJ

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭RolfHarris

It depends on what sort of job you're doing, but I try to drink well over 2 litres a day. I have a two-litre water bottle on my desk and try to drink it during the working day, and then another litre or so at the gym.

To be honest, drinking too much is better than too little.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Thanks in advance
    DJ

an average person should drink 8-10 250ml glasses of water per day.

if you're taking creatine, you should drink more water than that.

I usually get about 4-5L in per day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭RealistSpy

Hi,

What is the story with calories intake and protein intake? I was reading somewhere that you need plenty of calories for protein to work.

The problem is that I have a ok /not so good diet. I eat breakfast cereal most times, 3 time whey protein shakes and 1 casein before bed all 30-33g per serving. I am in full time college and my timetable is rough. I basically have one hour off which i spend in the gym. I manage to eat after college usually whole grain food ( pasta, rice and some natural African food!). After that I usually go sprint training. From Friday - Sunday I eat regularly + 4 protein shakes even though I work those days.

Note: I also take multivitamins and Omega 3:6:9 once a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

You need a calorie surplus for bulking (muscle gain) and a calorie deficit for cutting (fat loss), though at the beginning it is possible to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time.

However, protein itself has calorie, so if you are getting plenty of protein, chances are you are getting enough calories.

As a starting point, aim for 1g of protein per pound of body weight. That should be plenty to ensure muscle growth, more than that is likely to be used as very expensive glucose.

Whey and casein are fine, but you need real food too. Try eggs for breakfast and some meat or chicken or fish at some point during the day. And vegetables. Lots and lots of green veg. Pasta and rice have their place, but make sure you get plenty of broccoli too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

B-Builder wrote: »
    Hi There

Glucose I buy in Dunnes Stores (Shamrock Brand), and can be usually found in either the home baking or dessert section of the store. Dextrose which is much the same thing can sometimes be picked up in supplement shops.

http://www.shamrockfoods.ie/Products/Sugars--Icing/Sugars--Icing-3.aspx

Is the Glucose you buy on this page? Is Glucose different than Sugar?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭RealistSpy

Thanks Eileen.

I just don't want to loss weight and if I gain weight well fine with that aswell. As for the 1g per weight of protein. I am 65kg and I take protein shake 4 time a day is that ok?

As for chicken and beef I eat them regulary after college. I may start eat egg every morning again.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Deedsie wrote: »
    Is the Glucose you buy on this page? Is Glucose different than Sugar?
    It is not there, in tescos glucose is in the babyfood section. Glucose is less sweet than sugar so more palatable at higher doses, and it is higher GI than sugar, its GI is 100, as it is what the GI scale is based around. So being high GI it is "quick release energy".

I don't like bland sugars so I just eat high sugar/glucose snacks after a workout, I would probably eat them some other time during the week if I didn't so if I am going to indulge it will be then, something to look forward to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭abceire

i remember one of the big body builders in my old gym went in for an irish comp, they had a bit about his training and diet up on the gym wall,his training didnt seem that shocking of suprising, but his diet was shocking, the volumn of what he aint daily, chicken breasts for breakfast,so many eggs, it would cost a so much to eat what he was eating every day, yes he was big and would need to eat more then a smaller bodybuilder, but even still, plus he d have lots of supplements to buy too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭sfag

Its worth remembering that creatine only works for some people. Did nothing for me. A lot of people find it useless.

I buy my whey from myprotein.co.uk. Cheaper than h&B even when their stuff is half price.
    Dont buy brand stuff - its just crazy expensive. Whey is whey.

Buy unflavored whey bulk. Also buy flavouring separately. a litle goes along way.
    maltodextin V dextrose - one is sweet and one is tasteless. I like to mix the two.

Best source of protein = cheap meat & fish in packets from lidl.

It's a lifestyle choice.

It's like when people quit their jobs and become ski instructors. Or decide to go out and become entrepreneurs. Once you go down such a route, it's very difficult to get out of it if it's what gives you immense pride and pleasure. Total lifestyle choice.

Bodybuilding is a very impractical lifestyle for me but I can relate to it.

bought some dorian yates protein yesterday.

by far the most expensive protein i have ever bough.
    48 euro for 908g
    it gives 50g of protein per serving which is too scoops, 82g.
    it'll last me about 5 days, 6 max at this rate but i said id give the banana flavour a try

apparently, tests were done on a lot whey proteins lately and it came out on top.

http://www.dorianyates.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭john_cappa

bought some dorian yates protein yesterday.

by far the most expensive protein i have ever bough.
    48 euro for 908g
    it gives 50g of protein per serving which is too scoops, 82g.
    it'll last me about 5 days, 6 max at this rate but i said id give the banana flavour a try

apparently, tests were done on a lot whey proteins lately and it came out on top.

http://www.dorianyates.eu/

sorry but........lol

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

48 euro for 908g

it'll last me about 5 days
    :eek: jaysus, a tenner a day! I'll stick with my Ronnie Coleman fillet steaks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Spiara

HI
    I need to add protien powder to my diet to reach my daily total nutritonal requirement.
    Ive been weight training for a couple of years on and off but have recently taken up powerlifting.
    Whey protien is my choice.I am on a low budget and and i need some valuable information.

Im looking to consume about 50 to 100 grams per day.Is that healthy ?

What is the best way to buy it ,i want to buy 1 months supply,does this work out better price wise ?

What is the most reasonably priced and good quality brands or type ?.

There are numerous brands and types out there all claiming to be better quality.
    Im just looking for a few of the ones that actually do What they say on the tub and get on with my training.
    Where is the best place to get it (i live in limerick city,Ireland).
    Can anyone help me out?.

i normally buy a 10lb bag or reflex whey which lasts me baout 6-7 weeks for 70 euro.
    was an impulse buy, thats all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Spiara

Any good ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭discombobulate

Spiara wrote: »
    Any good ?

Hey have a look on www.myprotein.co.uk

Great prices there. Got the strawberry impact blend protein there myself and its not bad. From advice i've received you should aim for your body weight (lbs I think) x .8ish if your lifting heavy. Theres around 30g or more of protein in a breast of chicken too so getting as much from food as you can is better. If you look back a few pages you'll see the advice I was given

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I'm trying to create an account on myprotein.co.uk, and I can't get a postcode that works. I've tried 00000, BT11AA, even their example code (M114BL).

What have other people used to create their account?

Just had a quick look at my own account and I used 123456.

I tried that too.... no go.

Mr E wrote: »
    I tried that too.... no go.

000 0000 was mentioned earlier in this thread

Thanks for looking, discombobulate.
    Doesn't work either. The message that keeps coming up is:

* Please enter a valid first part of your postcode (i.e. M11)
    * Please enter a valid second part of your postcode (i.e. 4BL)

Sorry can't be of any more help then. Their contact details are here if you want to give them a ring

I called them up, and they told me to use n/a.
    Didn't work in firefox (kept complaining about invalid postcode), so I created the account in IE.

Thanks for your help.

Now their billing system says that n/a is not a valid post code. :rolleyes:
    I give up. I'll just put the order through over the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Mr E wrote: »
    Now their billing system says that n/a is not a valid post code. :rolleyes:

it really is a ****ing disaster of a site to try and register on from Ireland, AFAIR you have to initally create the account with N/A as the post code and then once the account is created you then have to re edit your details and delete the N/A in your address

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

Hey guys looking for some advice on recovery shakes. I've tried the following:

1) Provon Revive with water; http://www.provonrevive.ie/ - Citric
    2) Sci-MX 100% Whey with milk. Chocolate flavour; http://www.sci-mx.co.uk/pages/4040/Whey_Protein.htm
    3) Met-Rx Supreme Whey with milk, vanilla flavour; http://www.muscle-shop.co.uk/met-rx-supreme-whey/

I know having whey with water is the way to go but I can't stand the last 2 with water so I take them with milk and the first one is expensive; 45 yoyo for a box of 20 sachets.

Any good recovery shakes that are flavoured similarly to provon revive?

Advertisement