Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supplements

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭be wide of me

Just ordered maximuscle Progain from these guys said i'd give it a try! It was the cheapest place round! £6 for delivery to Ireland got cyclone bars and progain delivered for €54. Good prices on Protein also! Anyone tryed the Gold Standard whey??

http://www.bodyshapersfitness.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

yeah, i;ve tried the ON gold standard whey but i prefer the reflex whey
    tastes nicer
    the dorian yates protein is nicer still but ridiculously expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Jay Pentatonic

Hey,

I'm a skinny guy who's been doing weight lifting for about 4/5 months (& lovin' it!!)

Anyway, I've always been eating tuna to get some protein (about 2 & a half cans a day) but I've never touched these protein shakes.
    Are they much use? I'm told they're quite expensive & eventually your body becomes dependent on them...but I thought I should get some feedback from more experienced people.

Thanks in advance!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

That's a lot of tuna. In fairness I wouldn't do it. Protien shakes are a dairy product so having them isn't as bad as you might think. A balanced diet is the way to go, and suppliments like protien and multivitamins if you reckon you need them.
    Eat many eggs OP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

I really doubt your body becomes dependent on them, they're just protein.

But the money ya spend on them would be much better spent on MINCE! Say a tub of protein cost forty quid? You'd get 6kg of mince for that in Tescos for that. That's like 600 grams of REAL PROTEIN! Real food will make ya grow, just eat all the time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

you also need lots of complex carbs and plenty good fats if you want to grow, and you need to lift heavy, compound lifts all the way .. protein is only part of a bigger picture ...

Cheers for the tips guys, I'll keep them in mind! & to answer the question about eggs, yeah I occasionally eat them, but I've hated the things since I was a kid, awful stuff!!!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 EU RULES

looking to invest in some Creatine monohydrate. can someone tell me where in dublin this is sold cheap?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭gnolan

EU RULES wrote: »
    looking to invest in some Creatine monohydrate. can someone tell me where in dublin this is sold cheap?

A lot of people here recommend myprotein.co.uk, including me. Have gotten a fair bit of stuff off them at this stage; seemilngly good quality, good price and postage isn't too bad either. Do you have access to a credit card or do you have to buy from a bricks and mortar shop?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

http://www.amazon.com/100-Whey-Protein-Standard-Strawberry/dp/B000CQIRF2

Ok So i have the above whey protein, i have been making shakes with Skimmed milk and Shamrock Foods Glucose. (White Bag, white powder)

Are these the last two ingredients i need for a good protein shake?

http://www.myprotein.co.uk/bulk-powders/creatine/

http://www.myprotein.co.uk/bulk-powders/amino-acids/l-glutamine/

Im lifting Monday and Wednesday. Training Tuesday and Thursday. How often should i be taking the shakes?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 rebyc

For the Irish people having trouble registering on http://www.myprotein.co.uk/ because of that annnoying postcode error first you must use internet explorer firefox wont work you must use n/a for your postcode this will then allow you to register. After you registered you can go back to using firefox or watever go to your account settings change your postcode to 000 0000 this will allow your order to go through and make sure to use this code MP168410 to get 5% of your first order happyshopping :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Sgt Slaughter

Does anyone know where you can buy Optimum Nutrition Whey in Dublin? Ive heard that the Mint Chocolate flavour is great and that the protein is very good

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

for ON supplies i've used www.universalnutrition.ie (online or in store in Dun Laoghaire) or www.nutritionconnection.ie (westmorland st, and various stores about, be sure to ask for their 10% discount keyring tho...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭1ceman

I'm going through a tub of Mint chocolate at the moment. I like it, the mint flavour is very subtle though and comes more out if you mix with milk which I'd rarely do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

DubFit wrote: »
    for ON supplies i've used www.universalnutrition.ie (online or in store in Dun Laoghaire) or www.nutritionconnection.ie (westmorland st, and various stores about, be sure to ask for their 10% discount keyring tho...)

Hi Dubfit

I shop in Nutrition Connection in Westmorland st or Caple st shops. Could you tell me more about their 10% discount keyring?

I usually buy the 10lb ON Whey, L-Glutamine and Creatine and saving 10% on this would be welcomed :)

Best Regards,

M

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

well unless it was some special offer / promo drive at the time... maybe ask next time you are making a purchase to see if they will knock off 10% or say a mate got a keyring as as you're shopping there regularly could you get one :)

hope it works out...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Deedsie wrote: »
    http://www.amazon.com/100-Whey-Protein-Standard-Strawberry/dp/B000CQIRF2

Ok So i have the above whey protein, i have been making shakes with Skimmed milk and Shamrock Foods Glucose. (White Bag, white powder)

Are these the last two ingredients i need for a good protein shake?

http://www.myprotein.co.uk/bulk-powders/creatine/

http://www.myprotein.co.uk/bulk-powders/amino-acids/l-glutamine/

Im lifting Monday and Wednesday. Training Tuesday and Thursday. How often should i be taking the shakes?

what exactly are you looking to get out of your shake?

Post workout I wouldn't have milk in a shake, ye having the milk 30 minutes after your shake fine but in it I wouldn't bother. As for creatine and glutamine it's just a case of if you want to take them. Do you need them, not particularly

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

what exactly are you looking to get out of your shake?

Post workout I wouldn't have milk in a shake, ye having the milk 30 minutes after your shake fine but in it I wouldn't bother. As for creatine and glutamine it's just a case of if you want to take them. Do you need them, not particularly

I had started another thread about it, its been deleted now but someone recommended that i add these to the shake.

Id just like to get stronger/bigger with defined muscles as efficiently as is possible.

I started about a six weeks ago, and i have gained 2 Kg so far. I only started the shakes lately though. I take them about half an hour after lifting. When i get home.

corkcomp wrote: »
    you also need lots of complex carbs and plenty good fats if you want to grow, and you need to lift heavy, compound lifts all the way .. protein is only part of a bigger picture ...

Cheers for the info!!, but what are good sources for complex carbs & good fats?...:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Alot of these supplements are milk based or involve milk mixing...

any good supplements dairy free?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

AlcoholicA wrote: »
    Alot of these supplements are milk based or involve milk mixing...

any good supplements dairy free?

:pac:No.

Soya Protein is available, absorption is crap AFAIK

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Bumble32

Hi all

New to the forum. Enjoying reading through all the different threads (will take a while to do)

Anybody on here using Maximuscle’s Promax. Its saying to take 3 scoops 3 times a day. Is this really necessary as it comes in a 908g tub which wouldn't last long at that rate and its a bit expensive at 39.99.

Currently training 5 to 6 days a week. Cardio and weights.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

Bumble32 wrote: »
    Hi all

New to the forum. Enjoying reading through all the different threads (will take a while to do)

Anybody on here using Maximuscle’s Promax. Its saying to take 3 scoops 3 times a day. Is this really necessary as it comes in a 908g tub which wouldn't last long at that rate and its a bit expensive at 39.99.

Currently training 5 to 6 days a week. Cardio and weights.

Ditch that stuff. It's overpriced and average at best. You can get yourself 5lbs of the superior ON Whey for about 45 quid if you shop around, and at least in my opinion, it tastes a hell of a lot better too.

I wouldn't put too much faith into the dosing on Promax tubs either; what is your diet like? Are you taking it to supplement your protein intake? Aim for a target of about 1 gram of protein for each lb of bodyweight, and that includes protein from all sources, shakes and other food. Personally, I only take one or two scoops a day max.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭noel123ie

Hi all

Ive just got these from myprotein.co.uk

1 Weight Gainer

Energy 411.0Kcal
    Protein (as-is) 34.0g
    Carbohydrates 46.0g
    of which sugars 9.8g
    Fat 9.8g
    of which saturates 1.6g
    Dietary Fibre 3.3g

2 Alpha Men (Vitamin Supplement)

Each serving provides: 346mg Calcium, 140mg Phosphorus, 80mg Vitamin C, 100iu Vitamin E, 36mg Fatty acids, 24mg Magnesium (from magnesium amino acid chelate), 25mg Choline, 50mg Pantothenic acid, 10mg Ginsennosides, 25mg Potassium, 26mg Magnesium (from magnesium oxide), 25mg Vitamin B3, 25.5mg Alpha Lipoic Acid, 25.5mg Royal Jelly, 8.75mg Herperidin, 50µg Vanadium, 80µg Selenium, 20mg Kelp, 4.8mg Ginkgoflavoglycosides, 1.2mg Terpene lactones, 15mg Zinc, 12.5mg Vitamin B1, 12.5mg Vitamin B6, 3mg Beta carotene (Equivalent to 500µg Vitamin A), 1500µg Manganese, 12.5mg Vitamin B2, 11.88mg Polyphenols, 12.5mg Inositol, 12.5mg Bromelain, 12.5mg Lipase, 12.5mg Papain, 500µg Boron, 250µg Copper, 2.5mg Amylase, 2.5mg Co Q10, 5µg(100iu) Vitamin D, 250µg Lutein 100µg Chromium, 25µg Vitamin K, 25µg Molybdenum, 400µg Folic acid, 150µg Biotin, 125µg Vitamin B12.

3 BCAA Plus

Amount Per Serving % Daily Value
    Leucine 1500 mg ?
    Isoleucine 750 mg ?
    Valine 750 mg ?
    Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine )

I also have BSN No XPODE and Cellmass and OptimiumGold Standard Whey protein

http://www.optimumnutrition.com/products/100-whey-gold-standard-p-201.html

What mix of these should I use I do not want to be overdosing or under?

I take BSN products monthly and then break for a week to give body a break

PS I also have bought

Strength Training Anatomy (Paperback)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Strength-Training-Anatomy-Frederic-Delavier/dp/0736063684/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1254906744&sr=1-1

This shows you exactly what exercises strengthen what muscles

Also

Men's Health: The Body You Want in the Time You Have (Mens Health) (Paperback)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1594862435/ref=ox_ya_oh_product

Same idea

Hope these help someone

Noel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭tankbarry

Im just looking for some info on something. I have a friend that told me that syntha-6 would be good for me to take. he said that if i took it in the morning then about 7-8 in the evening it would work well. what i wanted is something that i could take after exercise to help me recover and help keep the food cravings away. any help would be great .. i dont want to build muscle maybe just tone a bit i dont do much weights

thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

tankbarry wrote: »
    Im just looking for some info on something. I have a friend that told me that syntha-6 would be good for me to take. he said that if i took it in the morning then about 7-8 in the evening it would work well. what i wanted is something that i could take after exercise to help me recover and help keep the food cravings away. any help would be great .. i dont want to build muscle maybe just tone a bit i dont do much weights

thanks in advance

you could get everything you need from milk if you're not lifting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Pro-Nutrition

tankbarry wrote: »

thanks in advance

Hey, I have not been on in a while. I was away, so just seeing your post now. I will send you a PM with some info on the Syntha 6 and some info on a product design purely for recovery after training.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

Its the best tasting protein powder by far! like having a milkshake from mcdonalds..
    I got a tub of it from the sup store on Camden street last week for 30euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭discombobulate

Anyone know of any good deals on bulking supplements. Was looking at this one on MyProtein. http://www.myprotein.co.uk/mp-max/weight-gain/weight-gainer-%286lb%29/

Has anyone tried it? Looking for something that tastes good also or that I could throw into a smoothie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

When I wake up in the morning, I feel aches in some of my joints. It quickly passes once I get up and moving but went off and bought some

Glucosamine

In the shop, this was about €8 and it was 2 for 1 (60 caps for 30)

500Mg Glucosamine (2 Daily)

But there was

JointCare Advance

30 caps for €12

250Mg Glucosamine (1 Daily)

I was there for about 5 minutes wondering which was better and was it worth the price difference?

They both have other stuff in them and I dunno if they have significant benefits or minimal benefit that hyped the crap out of.

Anyone have any good information of studies or tests or in their own experience.

I play soccer, 3 hrs a weeks on astro turf, 3 hours training a week on grass, match on weekends so I think I should take something to help prevent wear and tear.

Advertisement