Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supplements

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭gnolan

This will probably get moved to the supplements sticky but for the moment:

I don't think there's anything wrong with taking supplements for joint care no matter what stage of life you're at. You are more likely to get better value online. I go through stages of taking MSM, which is a sulfur based compound which promotes the growth and repair of cartilidge, tendons and that sort of stuff. Seems to work fine but tastes like muck. It comes in tablet form but for the amount you should be taking it's worth getting the powder. You can take anywhere from 5g - 20g daily.

www.myprotein.co.uk comes highly recommended here, and they sell and combination of MSM and Glucosamine Chondroitin. http://www.myprotein.co.uk/capsules-tablets-softgels/joint-care/msm-glucosamine-chondroitin/ A lot of people have discount codes in their signatures (including me) to get 5% off your order, so i'd advise using mine or someone else's. You can have a browse through the other products there in 'Joint Care' and for the mostpart there are links at the bottom of each product page with discussion on the product.

EDIT: Just noticed the MSM w/ G.C. is sold out at the moment, but it seems they do have the Glucosamine Sulphate. Take note that there is a fixed shipping charge of 7 Pounds, so it may be worth throwing in some fish oils

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Thanks gnolan, much appreciated.

Apologies to moderators if this should have been in the supplements thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

I heard today that Universal nutrition animal pak is no longer banned.Not sure if this is true or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭TrueMass

drdeadlift wrote: »
    I heard today that Universal nutrition animal pak is no longer banned.Not sure if this is true or not.

Yes they have just reduced the guided serving, same product though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Kev M

TrueMass wrote: »

They've also removed the shark cartilage, which is a deal-breaker for me :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Has anyone ordered from affordablesupplements.co.uk before? They have some very good prices, just wondering if they have a decent rep or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Catenaccio!

Guys, I'm feeling as if I'm not getting enough vitamins in these days and I was wondering what the best supplement to take for this is? It'll just be a temporary solution until I get things back on track.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Animal Pak

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

just take a boots or tesco multi vitamin and you should be fine that and eat your greens

• Registered Users Posts: 26 kellyc

hi guys

sorry if im probably repeating previous posts im new to the forum and theres alot here on supplements! :)

so ive got insomnia, bad, had it for years ive done and tried everything herbal and therapeutic etc!

my diet is ok! not brilliant not really bad, i find i eat well and healthy when im training its when i dont i slip into the bad habits but im working on it!!

i train prob 4-5 times a week 2-3 of which is muay thai and in the gym before hand for a run, and then 2 sessions a week doing weights - im always wrecked and have no energy but i try to just get on with it! started taking recovery after training which helped loads with how my body felt the next morning etc so i take that but its the energy/sleep/fatigue thats the problem! and i feel it really effects my performance in training

i tried ZMA a while back it was ok sometimes it helped other times it didnt - freaky dreams though! - but i read that is a possible side effect! but i dunno is there anything better i could try obviously its a long term thing i dont know if id be happy to take ZMA long term or even if you should?

any tips advice would be greatly appreciated

thanks

• Advertisement

kellyc wrote: »
    hi guys

sorry if im probably repeating previous posts im new to the forum and theres alot here on supplements! :)

so ive got insomnia, bad, had it for years ive done and tried everything herbal and therapeutic etc!

my diet is ok! not brilliant not really bad, i find i eat well and healthy when im training its when i dont i slip into the bad habits but im working on it!!

i train prob 4-5 times a week 2-3 of which is muay thai and in the gym before hand for a run, and then 2 sessions a week doing weights - im always wrecked and have no energy but i try to just get on with it! started taking recovery after training which helped loads with how my body felt the next morning etc so i take that but its the energy/sleep/fatigue thats the problem! and i feel it really effects my performance in training

i tried ZMA a while back it was ok sometimes it helped other times it didnt - freaky dreams though! - but i read that is a possible side effect! but i dunno is there anything better i could try obviously its a long term thing i dont know if id be happy to take ZMA long term or even if you should?

thanks

Nothing wrong with taking ZMA continuously, although it can be more expensive sometimes than buying the Zinc and Magnesium separately. Whats the rest of your diet like (and be honest); more specifically in the evening and night? Take any other supplements?

You say you take 'recovery' after training? What does this mean, a typo maybe. What time do you train at and what do you take after training?

my diet normally is porridge with seeds and raisins for breakie at lunch i eat my dinner so normally its potatoes meat veg or pasta, when im training muay thai i dont have time for dinner (which is why i have it at lunch) normally ill have soup mid afternoon and fruit and a cereal bar before training.

training finishes at 10 but sometimes dont get home till nearly 11, after training i drink 'recovery' protein shake which is RAM apparently with a different name.
    if im hungry when i get home ill normally go to bed anyway or have a yogurt or something! had muller rice last night!

now if i dont train and at weekends i do eat junk i wont lie i love pizza and crisps and carbs!! but monday to friday im pretty good the odd square of chocolate in the office sometimes! but dont really snack during the day ill just have the snacks before training

hi guys

thanks

Join the club!!!

Supplements probably won't be the answer... but since you asked, I hear Somalyze by Species is good stuff.

my diet normally is porridge with seeds and raisins for breakie at lunch i eat my dinner so normally its potatoes meat veg or pasta, when im training muay thai i dont have time for dinner (which is why i have it at lunch) normally ill have soup mid afternoon and fruit and a cereal bar before training.

training finishes at 10 but sometimes dont get home till nearly 11, after training i drink 'recovery' protein shake which is RAM apparently with a different name.
    if im hungry when i get home ill normally go to bed anyway or have a yogurt or something! had muller rice last night!

now if i dont train and at weekends i do eat junk i wont lie i love pizza and crisps and carbs!! but monday to friday im pretty good the odd square of chocolate in the office sometimes! but dont really snack during the day ill just have the snacks before training

Have you got a link for 'Recovery'?

I can see a few problems with the above, but can't guarantee that they might be contributing factors.

1) If end up training late at night, there's no chance of me getting any sleep for several hours, i find it takes a long time to wind down afterwards

2) If i'm hungry going to bed i won't sleep. I will wake up several times during the night and have to get up a couple of hours earlier. Soup and a cereal bar before training won't really cut it, neither will eating nothing after training.

3) With a product called 'Recovery', i'm going to assume it has L-Glutamine in it. Taking that at night can really affect your sleeping patterns. I am sure there are links around about this, something about Glutamine coming from Glutamate, which is a stimulant.

Hopefully one of these may be your problem

gnolan wrote: »
    Have you got a link for 'Recovery'?

I can see a few problems with the above, but can't guarantee that they might be contributing factors.

1) If end up training late at night, there's no chance of me getting any sleep for several hours, i find it takes a long time to wind down afterwards

2) If i'm hungry going to bed i won't sleep. I will wake up several times during the night and have to get up a couple of hours earlier. Soup and a cereal bar before training won't really cut it, neither will eating nothing after training.

3) With a product called 'Recovery', i'm going to assume it has L-Glutamine in it. Taking that at night can really affect your sleeping patterns. I am sure there are links around about this, something about Glutamine coming from Glutamate, which is a stimulant.

Hopefully one of these may be your problem

thanks yea i should prob make more of an effort to get another meal in!!
    unfortunately i train late nothing can do about that but will def work on the diet more! heres link for recovery:

http://www.pronutrition.ie/products.php?action=product&id=160

doubt that plays a major factor as only recently started taking it and sleeping patterns havent changed!
    Kev M wrote: »
    Join the club!!!

Supplements probably won't be the answer... but since you asked, I hear Somalyze by Species is good stuff.

yea i know kev but anything that helps eh! ill have a look into that somalyze thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

look into Melatonin, valerian, GABA

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭shuffles03

I started going to the gym around 3 weeks ago. I'm 26, just over 6 foot and around 14 stone. I initially joined to lose weight. After about 2 weeks I walked into the health shop in the gym and asked if there were any supplements that could help that were natural. The guy gave me L.Carnitine tablets, said they helped your body to burn fat.

Now I've started asking about shakes. They were giving out samples of different shakes in the gym so I decided to ask the guy about them I said I didnt want to get massive as I was already taking L.Carnitine to lose weight and I asked him if protein shakes were any good n he said I could take them with the L.Carnitine tablets as they will help lose fat as well as building muscle.

Is this stuff okay to use or is it completely the opposite of what I need? What is the right weight for someone who is over 6 foot? For all I know I don't have to lose a stone or so, maybe all I have to do is really tone up?

I'd really like to be ripped (not massive) so do shakes help to do that? I was a member of a gym about 3 years ago for about a year and a half and to be honest I didn't really notice toned muscles on myself. Yeah I was stronger but it all seemed to be below the surface.

Can anyone help me out?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

If anyone hasn't seen it, bulkpowders are doing £10 off their 5kg tub of unflavoured whey when you add one of their BP LiquiFlav 50ml which cost £10 as well. So basically order a tub and get a free flavouring to try. Then £11.45 shipping to Ireland, works out at £46.

So around €50 for a 5kg of whey protein and a flavouring. Pretty good deal.

shuffles03 wrote: »
    Now I've started asking about shakes. They were giving out samples of different shakes in the gym so I decided to ask the guy about them I said I didnt want to get massive as I was already taking L.Carnitine to lose weight and I asked him if protein shakes were any good n he said I could take them with the L.Carnitine tablets as they will help lose fat as well as building muscle.

Is this stuff okay to use or is it completely the opposite of what I need? What is the right weight for someone who is over 6 foot? For all I know I don't have to lose a stone or so, maybe all I have to do is really tone up?

I'd really like to be ripped (not massive) so do shakes help to do that? I was a member of a gym about 3 years ago for about a year and a half and to be honest I didn't really notice toned muscles on myself. Yeah I was stronger but it all seemed to be below the surface.

Can anyone help me out?

1) You won't get massive any time soon unless you're a genetic God but you would have realised that by now so it's not going to happen.

2) You don't need the L.Carnitine tablets, you need a treadmill and to watch what you eat

3) No such thing as toning, only building muscle and losing fat = "toning"

4) Ripped according to Tom Venuto = 3 - 6% bodyfat. The word you're looking for is either very lean (6 - 8%) or lean (8 - 10%). Or else you do want to be ripped, but you'll really need to dedicate your life to the cause.

5) Below the surface = too much fat = lose weight.

Sort out your diet by reading this sticky http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054876750 and make a food plan, train very very hard when you work out and get a great balanced programme and change iti every 6 weeks.

Cheers, and wat bout protein shakes?

• Advertisement

Cheers, and wat bout protein shakes?

Provided you're putting in the work in the gym - try 1g per lb of bodyweight

EDIT: If you can't get that much protein from real food, then you can go down the protein supplements route - but try to get as much as you can from meat, eggs, dairy, fish, nuts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

TrueMass wrote: »

Still banned i sent Universal an email,they responded by saying the fda will not ship due to the imb being very strict bla bla bla..

Okay so does the guy in the gym who is really toned and you can see it and the guy who is massive ie strong but not defined both take protein? Cuz I wanna be the toned guy not the huge guy! Someone told me today that 14 stone is my ideal weight which I am right now. Is that true? Maybe I'm alright the way I am now n I jst have to Lise some body fat! The guy in the gym said protein shakes will help burn fat! I'm so lost! I'm now thinkin that maybe I'll stop taking L.Carnitine cuz if I'm at my ideal weight I don't need it?

Okay so does the guy in the gym who is really toned and you can see it and the guy who is massive ie strong but not defined both take protein? Cuz I wanna be the toned guy not the huge guy! Someone told me today that 14 stone is my ideal weight which I am right now. Is that true? Maybe I'm alright the way I am now n I jst have to Lise some body fat! The guy in the gym said protein shakes will help burn fat! I'm so lost!

You're thinking way too much... "taking protein" - trust me we're all "taking protein"... You wanna know what will happen if you "take protein"?? Absolutely nothing will happen.

I'm now thinkin that maybe I'll stop taking L.Carnitine cuz if I'm at my ideal weight I don't need it?

Why did you need it in the first place? Fact is you just got swindled into buying it, and it's of no use to you whatsoever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭LovetohateTV

Hi All!

Quick Question.

Ive recently changed mu Whey Protein and Creatine.The whey protein has got extra sweetener in it which i hate but i puy up with it.

Any question is i eat quite healthy and never had a problem with spots on my face but ive recently being getting spots around the temple area of my head on both sides. I know this is related to your digestion. my skin is very good everywere else but this area. Ive heard roids (never tried) can sometimes give you bad skin but was not sure about protein/creatine causing this??

Is this common with creatine and protein shakes?

Is there a good one people could recommend that they have found that stops this problem im getting?

Thanks.

I understand everyone is different but i was just wondering!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Hi All!

Quick Question.

Ive recently changed mu Whey Protein and Creatine.The whey protein has got extra sweetener in it which i hate but i puy up with it.

Any question is i eat quite healthy and never had a problem with spots on my face but ive recently being getting spots around the temple area of my head on both sides. I know this is related to your digestion. my skin is very good everywere else but this area. Ive heard roids (never tried) can sometimes give you bad skin but was not sure about protein/creatine causing this??

Is there a good one people could recommend that they have found that stops this problem im getting?

Thanks.

I understand everyone is different but i was just wondering!

I'd hazard a guess and say no.. but the easiest way to figure it out is just to stop taking it or change brands for a while and go back to it again. If they go away and come back, there's your problem!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭Esse85

I have heard lots of people complain about getting spots since they started protein and creatine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

Esse85 wrote: »
    I have heard lots of people complain about getting spots since they started protein and creatine.

I'd imagine this has got to do with mixing protein with milk or using a poorer quality product. To be honest, it could also be the fact that people might also be working harder in the gym, getting sweatier and thus producing more sebum (the stuff that blocks your pores).

I can't see how creatine itself could cause spots and good quality whey the same, unless someone has an allergy.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

The whey protein has got extra sweetener in it which i hate but i puy up with it.
    You could get unflavoured whey & use a mixture, in effect diluting down the sweetener to a more palatable level.
    I got spots from ZMA, is your protein & creatine pure, i.e. is your whey really a blend with other supps in it, like zinc.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭handsomecake

anyone know where i can get any of this in dublin.
    or any good websites

Advertisement