Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supplements

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

Think the supp shop up by trinity college has it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

anyone know where i can get any of this in dublin.
    or any good websites

www.universalnutrition.ie sells Animal Flex 30eur per tube. orders have to be over 50eur so you buy two. it works for my knee (tear). last time (two weeks ago) I ordered it was 15% extra per tube so you get 52? packs instead of 44.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭LovetohateTV

rubadub wrote: »
    You could get unflavoured whey & use a mixture, in effect diluting down the sweetener to a more palatable level.

I got spots from ZMA, is your protein & creatine pure, i.e. is your whey really a blend with other supps in it, like zinc.

Yeah the creatine is pure. Im going to go into a shop int town in front of trinity colleges front entrance who sell the good stuff as far as ive been told.

Thanks for your replys lads.

Its definitely something to do with my digestion, i went for a free dermalogica face mapping (very educational and interesting) in a mens salon and the girl said it was what i was eating that was upsetting that area on my face, i explained the protein etc etc and she agreed that it has cause an imbalance and to change to a non sweeter cause i always mix with milk.

Thanks again

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Yeah the creatine is pure. Im going to go into a shop int town in front of trinity colleges front entrance who sell the good stuff as far as ive been told.

Thanks for your replys lads.

Its definitely something to do with my digestion, i went for a free dermalogica face mapping (very educational and interesting) in a mens salon and the girl said it was what i was eating that was upsetting that area on my face, i explained the protein etc etc and she agreed that it has cause an imbalance and to change to a non sweeter cause i always mix with milk.

Thanks again

How long do you leave between working out and taking a shower? You may be leaving the sweat and grime on your body for too long, causing spots. Just a thought..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

mloc wrote: »
    I'd imagine this has got to do with mixing protein with milk or using a poorer quality product. To be honest, it could also be the fact that people might also be working harder in the gym, getting sweatier and thus producing more sebum (the stuff that blocks your pores).

I can't see how creatine itself could cause spots and good quality whey the same, unless someone has an allergy.

It could be a factor dependent upon the age of the guys taking it.

I would also agree with the sweat theory.

Another one could be increased testosterone from all the hench workouts thereby leading to some acne.

Now acne is a definite if very rare side effect of creatine, I've seen it first hand a few times. However everyone of these guys always responded abnormally well to the creatine.

Not really seen it with whey.

As for face mapping by dermalogica - sorry mate but I must be sceptical as they are selling products to help solve the problem. Therefore I find it hard to expect them to tell you that you are free from imbalances or issues.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Hi,

I'm looking (like many others) to increase lean body mass. What is the best supplement that I can take which would not include the amino acid Phenylalanine?

Currently, I'm taking approx 30g BCAA and 4g Kre Alkalyn on training days with a reduced amount on rest days. (1g Kre ~ 10g Creatine).

I'm using Kre Alkalyn from Sci-Fit which costs £30 for 240 capsules. I take 2 in morning and 3-4 before training. As for BCAA's I've gotten used to and like the taste of Scivation Xtend which csts about £45 for a 1kg tub. I take 1 scoop about an hour prior to training, 1.5/2 scoops during and 1 again afterwards.

However, this is getting a bit expensive and I'd also like to push on the gains I've made recently in training without increasing bf%.

There seems to be so much variety in the world of supplements all claiming wonderful things that I've got confused and sceptical about almost all claims made.

All advice appreciated.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

BossArky wrote: »
    How long do you leave between working out and taking a shower? You may be leaving the sweat and grime on your body for too long, causing spots. Just a thought..

+1 on this, my skin is clear at the moment but I was surprised how easily I get spots if I don't shower soon after a training session.
    As for creatine causing bad skin, I used to feel than my skin was better off it, never had an issue with protein

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

Hi,

I'm looking (like many others) to increase lean body mass. What is the best supplement that I can take which would not include the amino acid Phenylalanine?

Currently, I'm taking approx 30g BCAA and 4g Kre Alkalyn on training days with a reduced amount on rest days. (1g Kre ~ 10g Creatine).

I'm using Kre Alkalyn from Sci-Fit which costs £30 for 240 capsules. I take 2 in morning and 3-4 before training. As for BCAA's I've gotten used to and like the taste of Scivation Xtend which csts about £45 for a 1kg tub. I take 1 scoop about an hour prior to training, 1.5/2 scoops during and 1 again afterwards.

However, this is getting a bit expensive and I'd also like to push on the gains I've made recently in training without increasing bf%.

There seems to be so much variety in the world of supplements all claiming wonderful things that I've got confused and sceptical about almost all claims made.

All advice appreciated.

Thanks.

Serious Mass doesn't contain that unless it also has another name. It does the job, I put up roughly 2 stone on it and am as lean as I was before. I did more than weights while taking it though (was also boxing) so if you were just doing weights it probably wouldn't go on lean.
    I used to blend 1 to 1 1/2 scoups with around 750 mls of full fat milk and down it before going for the bus in the morning

serious-mass-facts.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

I would imagine there is Phenylalanine in Serious Mass, having a huge variety of protein sources.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Yes - where they simply state protein, then I cannot take that product. I need something with an amino acid breakdown so I can see if phe is contained in it.

Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

<snip> this looked like an advert and that's not allowed. If you want to take it up with me, drop me a pm. Cheers. Khannie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    revolutionary new sports nutritional products

how so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

nah, wasn't trying to advertise! i actualy couldn't even find a website for the product. just saw it yesterday on a site. thought the launch of an irish sports supplement company is a good thing

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=119721

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭shuffles03

I just bought USN Pure Protein IGF-1 tonite and I'm wondering when I should take it. I generally go to the gym 3 to 4 times a week with about an hour of cardio and 40 mins of weights. At what time in the day is best to take a shake and also, should I drink shales on the days I;m not even in the gym?

I'm also taking L.Carnitine as well The guy in the shop said the 2 together were fine. I'm trying to lose some weight and really tone up.

Cheers in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

you should try to get as much protein as you can from normal food.
    protein shakes are "supplements" to your diet and not main parts thereof.

I;d shoot for 1-2 shakes on rest days, 1 in the morning and one before bed
    I take 1 in the morning, 1 preworkout, 1 post workout and 1 before bed on training days but i'm 116kg and getting 1g of protein per lb of bodyweight is tough without using the shakes for me.

Sorry if this is a stupid question but I jst assumed you took the shakes either before or after the gym. I didn't think u had to take it 2 to 3 times a day. How come u have to do that?

Sorry in advance if this question is retarded

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Aldito

shuffles03 wrote: »
    Sorry if this is a stupid question but I jst assumed you took the shakes either before or after the gym. I didn't think u had to take it 2 to 3 times a day. How come u have to do that?

Sorry in advance if this question is retarded

Because you're muscles recover over a period of several days after a serious workout. You need to be providing them with a constant stream of protein for recovery and growth. If you're getting enough protein every day from food sources, then it will probably only be necessary to take a shake after your workout. As a previous poster said, it depends on your body weight, if you're only 150lbs you probably don't have to supplement with protein shakes at all. Whereas if you're 116kg like he is, getting >250grams of protein a day from food sources alone can be challenging to say the least.

Cool. Well I'm 6ft and 14 stone. How many shakes should I take? Cheers fir all the help, I'm new to this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Aldito

Cool. Well I'm 6ft and 14 stone. How many shakes should I take? Cheers fir all the help, I'm new to this.

Ok so you're pretty heavy to start with. 14 stone is just under 200lbs, so you should be shooting for 200-250 grams of protein a day, if you want to see any serious gains. Eat 6 meals a day, 3 bigger and 3 smaller. Drink milk with 3. Eat eggs at breakfast and lean meat or fish with two or three of the rest. The smaller meals should consist of nuts, fruit, maybe some cottage cheese. 1 of these meals is the protein shake, take it after your workout. You should be hitting 200 with this sort of diet. Aim for around 3000 clean calories. Make sure you don't start skipping workouts though, or you're just gonna turn into a fat bastard. Make sure to do compound lifts 3 days a week, i.e. squats, deadlifts, bench press, upright row. Do heavy weights on low reps(6-8).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

Aldito wrote: »
    Ok so you're pretty heavy to start with. 14 stone is just under 200lbs, so you should be shooting for 200-250 grams of protein a day, if you want to see any serious gains. Eat 6 meals a day, 3 bigger and 3 smaller. Drink milk with 3. Eat eggs at breakfast and lean meat or fish with two or three of the rest. The smaller meals should consist of nuts, fruit, maybe some cottage cheese. 1 of these meals is the protein shake, take it after your workout. You should be hitting 200 with this sort of diet. Aim for around 3000 clean calories. Make sure you don't start skipping workouts though, or you're just gonna turn into a fat bastard. Make sure to do compound lifts 3 days a week, i.e. squats, deadlifts, bench press, upright row. Do heavy weights on low reps(6-8).

isn't it 1g per lb of lean bodyweight?

• Advertisement

Yeah but I'm trying to lose weight and define my muscles at the same time. I'm not looking to bulk up. The guy in the gym recommended that type of protein for doing jst that.

He said that the USN pure protein IGF-1 was good for ppl losing weight and defining muscles, it says it on the tub as well. Am I using the wrong stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

14 stone is 198 pounds so you;d need ~200g of protein per day scattered into 4-5 servings throughout the day.

One rest days, you should definitely have a shake before bed to feed themuscles with protein while you sleep. this will prevent catabolic breakdown of muscle.
    You could also have one after your workout.

On training days, have one an hour before you train.
    30 mins before training, have some source of caffeine, cup of coffee or sugar free red bull.
    Have another whey shake within 30 minutes of training and have another one before bed.

see how that goes for a while and report back

The average serving of protein in a whey shake is 24g. mix your shake with low fat milk (400ml or so) and thats another 16g of protein, giving you a total of 40g.

if you wanna lose weight, the best way to do it is to build more muscle as muscle burns more calories than fat and also do cardio.
    steady state cardio for fat loss for 3/4 20 min sessions per week and do these at the END of the workout

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 RonBonJovi

Hi folks not sure if this has been asked but couldn't see it anywhere. I take Nutrition X RAM after the gym and rugby training. I wanted to know if its okay to mix it before training and consume it afterwards or if it has to be consumed right after mixing?

Thanks for any replies

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭discombobulate

RonBonJovi wrote: »
    Hi folks not sure if this has been asked but couldn't see it anywhere. I take Nutrition X RAM after the gym and rugby training. I wanted to know if its okay to mix it before training and consume it afterwards or if it has to be consumed right after mixing?

Thanks for any replies

Should be find as long as you give it a good shake after training

• Registered Users Posts: 20 cluainri

Hey guys i'd love to hear yer opinion on protein shakes...

In the next couple of days im gunna buy some more...The previous time i bought 4x2kg of Progain from Fitness Ireland @E135...The delivery (free) was fast and althou im no Arnie i did notice size gains...

i know Progain itself contains only 27g of protein per 100g...What d'ye think? Is there a better quality/priced product out dere....

Thanks lads in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

There is a sticky thread at the top there called supplements.

There should be loads of information in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Jedward

IGF 1 not bad, ON serious mass full of maltodextrin, you will get a gut, like ON Gold Whey, just bought a tub of that new Kinetica whey, tastes pretty good

Hey Jedward,

Serious? The protein shakes will give me a gut? The reason I got it was for the opposite effect to that. Are you sure?

Cheers for all the advice Henners257, so is it better to do cardio at the end of a workout instead of at the start? My current workout is:

5 min warm up on the bike
    25 mins on the cross trainer
    10 mins on the rower
    then I've got various weights and sit ups after that.

All in all its about an hour and a half and I do it 3 to 4 times a week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

http://www.nutritionconnection.ie/goods-695.html

Reading the information on this, and coming from a science/pharma background myself, I had to laugh. The label claims are bordering on parody. Some of the marketing for these things has just gotten utterly ridiculous.

Advertisement