Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supplements

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

mloc wrote: »
    http://www.nutritionconnection.ie/goods-695.html

Reading the information on this, and coming from a science/pharma background myself, I had to laugh. The label claims are bordering on parody. Some of the marketing for these things has just gotten utterly ridiculous.

haha, that sounded like the start of a sci fi novel :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Jedward

Hey Shuffles, no you won't get gut from protein, but would from serious mass, its 1200 cal per serving, i halved the serving so 600 cal and went from 88 to 94kg but lost my shape!
    Sets of sprints after weights is best way to go, also muscletech and alot of other american brands are a joke, ridiculous marketing, good protein, creatine, multivitamin, fish oils is all anyone needs, some products are just hyped up caffeine!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Micheal_UCD

I'm 5'11" and I weigh about 11.5 stone. I've just started in the Gym and really want to build my body up. I have been eating plenty but I also want to start taking a protein shake (or something similar to build up muscle!). What are the best shakes on the market to help build muscle?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

read back over this topic. so many questions like your own
    look at the stickies on the top of the forum page - they deal with diet, rest etc
    don't be lazy, do some research

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    read back over this topic. so many questions like your own
    look at the stickies on the top of the forum page - they deal with diet, rest etc
    don't be lazy, do some research

that said the 2 best supplements for a novice lifter to add some weight are squats and milk.

• Advertisement

Well that's assuming they are not allergic to dairy products and don't have any muscle imbalances in their legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 cluainri

i stumbled across http://forum.bodybuilding.com/index.php , fantastic site really informative...concensus generally seemed to be optimum nutrition 100% whey...decided to purchase 10lb tub through irish site for E85

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Pro-Nutrition

RonBonJovi wrote: »
    Hi folks not sure if this has been asked but couldn't see it anywhere. I take Nutrition X RAM after the gym and rugby training. I wanted to know if its okay to mix it before training and consume it afterwards or if it has to be consumed right after mixing?

Thanks for any replies

I would use the RAM and the Recovery from Complete Supplements. Like you I would sometimes make it up prior to training, as long as you give it a good shake it will be fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Pro-Nutrition

shuffles03 wrote: »
    Hey Jedward,

Serious? The protein shakes will give me a gut? The reason I got it was for the opposite effect to that. Are you sure?

Cheers for all the advice Henners257, so is it better to do cardio at the end of a workout instead of at the start? My current workout is:

5 min warm up on the bike
    25 mins on the cross trainer
    10 mins on the rower
    then I've got various weights and sit ups after that.

All in all its about an hour and a half and I do it 3 to 4 times a week.

Hey, The protein shakes will not give you a gut so dont be worrying, if you were to be taking the likes of a gainer I would say you would get a bit of a gut but on the pure whey you will be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭imported_guy

guys, so NO explode and super pump 250 are banned, so what is everyone using?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭john_cappa

what do you mean banned?

What do you think banned means ? Banned in Ireland legally of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭john_cappa

Well banned may have meant by some federation etc

banned legally? Really? on what grounds? any link

Wont stop anyone ordering from UK either way

+1

irish medical council (i think), said they contain too much vitamin b12 (LOL)

i mean, WTF, come ON are ye for real, you should ban alcohol and caffine which are pretty dangerous, no one cares if you walk around high on vitamin b12, b vitamins are water soluable so you piss most of it away any way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

john_cappa wrote: »
    what do you mean banned?

Banned by the IMB (Irish Medicines Board) on the grounds that the label stated dose contains more than 100% of the daily RDA of Vitamin B12.

Essentially, they could re-label the exact same product and just tell people to take less, and it would be allowed. Crazy situation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Hey, The protein shakes will not give you a gut so dont be worrying

They gave ME a gut..

I lost the gut when i stopped taking them..funny that!

Degsy wrote: »
    They gave ME a gut..

I lost the gut when i stopped taking them..funny that!

Protein shakes have calorific value just like almost any other food. Add in 300 mL of milk and that's even more. Three a day and that adds up.

mloc wrote: »
    Protein shakes have calorific value just like almost any other food. Add in 300 mL of milk and that's even more. Three a day and that adds up.

he was actully probably just dehydrated, and bloated, the calories come from protein theres not that many carbs there, and the body doesnt store protein at all so either it gets used up or you piss it out, so if you piss it out the calories are gone, funny how quick people just jump the bandwagon and start dissing a suppliment because it didnt work out for them, rather than researching it first and taking it properly.

the body doesnt store protein at all so either it gets used up or you piss it out, so if you piss it out the calories are gone

Fundamentally incorrect. The body can store protein as fat just like carbohydrates or ingested fat. While some digested proteins (in the form of amino acids) are deaminated and passed out as urine, amino acids can also be converted to lipids and stored as fat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Typhoon.

Boots chemist are giving out free tube of they're own brand energy boost tablets when you but any vitimin supplement.. theyre like berocca... they have 1000% the RDA of vit B12... I wonder will they be banned

B12 turns your wee neon yellow... tis mad :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭d-gal

hemodraulix by axis labs
    trac by MHP

cant go wrong with either of them

d-gal wrote: »
    hemodraulix by axis labs
    trac by MHP

cant go wrong with either of them
    nice one, any places i can find em?

NO Shotgun V3 and White Flood are good options too. nutritionconnection.ie and optimumnutition.ie stock 'em I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Swizz

Does anyone have any experience with any Reflex Nutrition products? Any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

How's it going guys, I'm looking for a protein supplement to help me gain weight. I've tried a couple in the past but there was little or no difference in the end. I want something strong, designed for pure weight gain. I'm underweight for my age/height and can't gain weight by just eating food so any recommendations are appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

hey mate how do you know you cant gain weight from eating?

whats your age/height?

post up what your diet is like?

im sure a good bulking diet will have you putting on weight in no time

hey mate how do you know you cant gain weight from eating?

whats your age/height?

post up what your diet is like?

im sure a good bulking diet will have you putting on weight in no time

21 y/o. 5'8". 55kg.

I'm not on the diet anymore but when I first started I was eating muesli for breakfast, pasta for lunch and for dinner it was either a steak or a few chicken fillets. I'd have sandwiches/rolls in between too and the odd morning I'd have a couple of raw eggs but could never put any weight on. A couple of my friends said I was a "thoroughbred" :o

Again, I have not been on the diet for a while but I plan on going back to it in the coming weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Swizz

Post in stickied thread.

How's it going guys, I'm looking for a protein supplement to help me gain weight. I've tried a couple in the past but there was little or no difference in the end. I want something strong, designed for pure weight gain. I'm underweight for my age/height and can't gain weight by just eating food so any recommendations are appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

Hey Guys,

Like the poster above me, I'm also on the lookout for a gainer, well actually I had my eye on a TMU Lean Mass Gainer product from a nutrition shop close to me in Dublin. I was looking at the stats per serving (36g protein, 32g carbs, 8g fat) - Sounds good to me, but how can I tell if the 32g carbs is complex or simple? Or if it's a percentage of each? Obviously I dont want to spend my money on 32g sugar each serving!

Anybody familiar with this TMU product? Are they a trusted/respected company for providing nutrition?

Kind Regards,

Rich

Advertisement