Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supplements

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

PrettyBoy wrote: »
    How's it going guys, I'm looking for a protein supplement to help me gain weight. I've tried a couple in the past but there was little or no difference in the end. I want something strong, designed for pure weight gain. I'm underweight for my age/height and can't gain weight by just eating food so any recommendations are appreciated.

Try Reflex Instant Mass. and mix it with whole milk.

http://www.fitnessireland.ie/product_info.php?products_id=345

or

http://www.reflex-nutrition.com/en/bodybuilding-supplements/weightgainer/instant-mass.php

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Thanks swizz. :)

I'm actually gonna leave this in its own thread 'cos it looks to be taking a course that wont be purely about a weight gain supplement (despite the thread title).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

have you worked out the cal intake and ratio of protien/fat/carbs etc you need to gain weight?

who gave you this diet? is it online somewhere?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭imported_guy

most weight gainers make a normal person fat, but you sound like an ectomorph or mesomorph person, (you dont gain much fat), what you should do is eat 5-6 times a day, eat good carbs, alot of protein, essential fats and start weight lifting

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Thanks lads.

I got the diet from my gym when I was getting my program done.
    you sound like an ectomorph or mesomorph person
    Definitely Ectomorph.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭aye

PrettyBoy wrote: »
    Thanks lads.

I got the diet from my gym when I was getting my program done.

Definitely Ectomorph.

Thats a terrible diet to give someone. And advisng someone to have raw eggs is dodgy really.

OP just cos you wanna put on weight doesnt mean you need to eat ****e.

You should only need to increase your calories intake by around 300 to 500 cals per day.
    Read the stickies. Eat lots of protein and good healthy fats (fish etc).

You can work out you calorie requuirements here or in the stickies, make sure you are achieving that intake first, then increase.

Make sure you lift heavy compound lifts such as bench press, military or push press, squat, deadlift, pullups, rows etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭K09

Hi,

I was advised to start taking casein to help with recovering from muscular injury. Tony quinn shop stocks it. But I have heard some bad stories about his stuff.

Is casein a wise choice? Or is there a better product? I'm also looking to build some muscle.

Thanks.

K09 wrote: »
    Hi,

I was advised to start taking casein to help with recovering from muscular injury. Tony quinn shop stocks it. But I have heard some bad stories about his stuff.

Is casein a wise choice? Or is there a better product? I'm also looking to build some muscle.

Thanks.

you can get enough casein from milk if you drink a few glasses a day, dont need supps for it really, even if your bodybuilding, just take all of your protein shakes with good full fat organic milk, there are a few supps if you really want to go that way www.universalnutrition.ie or i think www.fitnessireland.com or .ie forgot which

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭john_cappa

you can get enough casein from milk if you drink a few glasses a day, dont need supps for it really, even if your bodybuilding, just take all of your protein shakes with good full fat organic milk,

If you want to go down that route then why take protein shakes at all? Why not get it from chicken?

A Caesin protein is a perfect choice as a protein suppliment particularly as a bed time protein.

I would not buy from Tony Quinn though

Try bodybuildingwarehouse.co.uk for branded proteins or myprotein if your on more of a budget

john_cappa wrote: »
    If you want to go down that route then why take protein shakes at all? Why not get it from chicken?

A Caesin protein is a perfect choice as a protein suppliment particularly as a bed time protein.

I would not buy from Tony Quinn though

Try bodybuildingwarehouse.co.uk for branded proteins or myprotein if your on more of a budget

its because the ammount of casien you need can be easily obtained naturally, unlike protein (unless you eat alot of meat), i actully only drink 1 protein shake a day on my off days, and maybe 2 on my workout days, the only use for protein shake for me is the fast delivery after the workout as i can digest it faster than meat, but if he wants to use a supp, i would recomend 100% ON casien protein http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/opt/cas.html

• Advertisement

its because the ammount of casien you need can be easily obtained naturally, unlike protein

Im not sure what you are on about here. While im no expert im pretty sure you are misinformed about the above.

Are you aware that casein is a protein? containing pretty much the exact same aminos as whey protein?

The major difference being the bonds that link the aminos together which effect rate of breakdown and absorption.

Im not sure what you are on about here. While im no expert im pretty sure you are misinformed about the above.

Are you aware that casein is a protein? containing pretty much the exact same aminos as whey protein?

The major difference being the bonds that link the aminos together which effect rate of breakdown and absorption.

casein molecules are a family of phosphoproteins, yeah i are aware, what are you getting on to?

if you are aware of that then why make a ridiculous statement like below?

its because the ammount of casien you need can be easily obtained naturally, unlike protein (unless you eat alot of meat)

When broken down are the aminos in casein different to those of whey? or the protein in meat? or eggs?

if you are aware of that then why make a ridiculous statement like below?

When broken down are the aminos in casein different to those of whey? or the protein in meat? or eggs?

whey protein digests quickly whereas casein gelatinizes for slower, more prolonged digestion with less of an insulin spike as a consequence, casein is most effective for feeding the body over the fasting period of sleep.

aware meh otherwise

whey protein digests quickly whereas casein gelatinizes for slower, more prolonged digestion with less of an insulin spike as a consequence, casein is most effective for feeding the body over the fasting period of sleep.

aware meh otherwise

yes well googled.

It doesnt take from the fact that you were talking rubbish up above and you havent clarified you origonal statement still.

Ill post it again for you k

its because the ammount of casien you need can be easily obtained naturally, unlike protein (unless you eat alot of meat)

yes well acknowledged

It doesnt take from the fact that you were talking complete sense above and you have clarified you origonal statement now.

fixed. or else post up what the difference is. or the similarities.

fixed. or else post up what the difference is. or the similarities.

I did explain above in simple terms......then you googled and posted the following from wiki as your own response.

aware meh otherwise

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_difference_between_whey_protein_and_casein_protein

You are still wildly off the mark here.

Read the fitness charter bit about mis information

You are still wildly off the mark here.

Read the fitness charter bit about mis information

congratulations sir, you win the interwebz, i provided information to-best-of-my-knowledge-and-the-interwebs-knowledge, he doesnt have to take my word as the gospel, he should do his own research and google.

congratulations sir, you win the interwebz, i provided information to-best-of-my-knowledge-and-the-interwebs-knowledge, he doesnt have to take my word as the gospel, he should do his own research and google.

Or perhaps you should do your own research? And research what you are saying to ensure it is correct?

• Advertisement

aye wrote: »
    Thats a terrible diet to give someone. And advisng someone to have raw eggs is dodgy really.

OP just cos you wanna put on weight doesnt mean you need to eat ****e.

You should only need to increase your calories intake by around 300 to 500 cals per day.
    Read the stickies. Eat lots of protein and good healthy fats (fish etc).

You can work out you calorie requuirements here or in the stickies, make sure you are achieving that intake first, then increase.

Make sure you lift heavy compound lifts such as bench press, military or push press, squat, deadlift, pullups, rows etc.

compound lifts all the way

focus on, bench, dead lift, power clean, squat, standing miltary press, and rows, and after 2-3 months, add in stuff for higher volume, like push ups, chin ups, barbell curls, leg press etc,

and if you dont like raw eggs, try frying them in some olive oil or cold pressed organic sunflower oil, it will get you the EFA you need as well

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭wackojacko

Imported Guy, you're talking serious baloney and you were caught out too. Stop trying to be an expert.

You said this. And it's complete and utter nonsense. Never have I read such crap in my life. Stop now. Please.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

wackojacko wrote: »

Very little. One thing that will vary is the flavours. Vanilla is not always the same etcetera.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

wackojacko wrote: »

One is plain whey concentrate and the other is whey concentrate mixed with isolate (haven't a clue how much of each is in it though) and has some BCAA's added and maybe one or two other things. The myprotein is the most basic of basics, which is fine. The ON has a few more bells and whistles added that might be useful, or might not. Personally I like to get the pure isolate supps from myprotein (or wherever they are cheap) because I don't feel bloated when eating them. I think isolate is supposed to be easier to digest/quicker but not entirely certain. (it makes sense that it is easier to digest if it doesn't cause as much/any bloating though.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 breno58

try prolab n-large

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭BuyingorSelling

Using Pro X Whey from nutritionx feel like im putting a bit of a gut on-did anyone else feel like this or are all proteins the same

Using Pro X Whey from nutritionx feel like im putting a bit of a gut on-did anyone else feel like this or are all proteins the same

Don't blame the whey. You're just eating too much bad stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

Anyone any experiences of which stores have the best shipping to Ireland for supplements etc. The charges seems to vary widely. Looking for Protein products, CLA Flax etc
    TIA

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 jblennon101

You shud just decide to take a day out and drive up north, the prices are much cheaper especially for protien and the likes.

Advertisement