Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supplements

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

cheers, is really cheaper than online though?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Some irish stores have "free" shipping, free in quotes since the postage price is included -it really depends on how much you want to get. The place in my signature link has up to 25 or 26kg for £6.95. There is a dedicated sticky thread about supplements at the top of the forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭dario28

http://www.thesupplementstore.co.uk/

cheap and great deliver times

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭BlueIsland

Whey Protein shakes. trying to shed 2-3 stone. Do shakes help or deter weight loss??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

They help if eaten instead of a regular snack or meal. Whey protein is slightly more filling then other protein (so the theory goes) so you should be less likely to overeat.

Whey added to your regular diet will just add extra calories.

The best time to take a whey shake is after a heavy session in the gym. They are also popular as a quick snack meal if you don't have time to cook.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭BlueIsland

id rather add extra calories through good source of protein which in long run will help me. would that be right?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Any calories, in excess, can result in fat gain. Protein is less likely to pile on flab than chocolate biscuits, but it can happen.

If you replace some of your present non-ideal foods with whey, you should see good results.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,339 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

EileenG wrote: »
    Any calories, in excess, can result in fat gain. Protein is less likely to pile on flab than chocolate biscuits, but it can happen.

If you replace some of your present non-ideal foods with whey, you should see good results.
    If he cuts them out, he should see better results

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Peteemax

Hi Folks,

I am back playing ball for the first time in ten weeks due to cracking 2 ribs. Is the any supplements that i can take to help me along in training and matches for both my energy and fitness. A lad i train with has suggested Xplode. I have never taken anything so i just wanted to get some advice.

Thanks,
    Pete

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Bodysmart

Ever tried Supergreens? -> http://www.phmiracle.net/

I find them great for upping my energy levels.

Search online for similar "greens" drinks - they are becoming very popular and most companies have a similar type of product in their range.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭RichJH

Peteemax wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

I am back playing ball for the first time in ten weeks due to cracking 2 ribs. Is the any supplements that i can take to help me along in training and matches for both my energy and fitness. A lad i train with has suggested Xplode. I have never taken anything so i just wanted to get some advice.

Thanks,
    Pete

Hi Pete,

Im not a fan of that BSN stuff at all, I find it overpriced and not the best on the market.
    It depends what you really want it for. NO-Xplode etc is really for ppl looking to pack on muscle and from your post Im guessing your not the body building type.

I would highly recommend taking a protein supplement (Optimum Nutrition WHEY) coupled with a recovery drink like Ram X by Nutrition X or Cyclone by Maximuscle. That combination will give you greater energy levels, strength and recovery

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭Colm_OReilly

What's your diet like before you look at supplements?

If its "alright" then sort that out first.

8am cereal bar and a cup of tea
    10.00 1 apple 1 pear and a cup of tea
    13.00 Campbells soupfulls and a cup of tea
    18.00 Training night-brown bread sambo ham salad
    18.00 Night off- anything really usually chips and pizza

May have a packet of crisps or two between 21.00 and 12.00am

Since i have went back i have lost 6 pound in the first week.

Pete

Pete

Brutal diet - not enough good food when training - too much processed food and chips and pizza is just junk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

Pete

Nevermind when training this is a brutal diet fullstop... there's about a half a gram of protein in it!!

dario28 wrote: »
    Brutal diet - not enough good food when training - too much processed food and chips and pizza is just junk

What would you recommend mate?
    Is there any good sites i can get some information from?
    Thanks.

What would you recommend mate?
    Is there any good sites i can get some information from?
    Thanks.

This is roughly mine

Diet on avg would be

Protein is : USN 100% Whey

7am protein shake
    bike to work
    8am huge bowl of porridge
    10:30am fruit
    12 soup from canteen generally v.healthy mix of veg freshly made
    1pm chicken/tuna salad with roll or baked potato with tuna or chicken..again big helping on the meat side
    3pm nuts fruit maybe nutri grain
    5pm Cycle to gym
    5:30pm protein shake
    weights sessions
    protein shake
    7.30pm Dinner - either fish/chicken with small amts of potatos/pasta/rice and lots of veg always have 1 steak a week and a spag bol - food is never processed
    8pm if still hungry then whatever I can find rice pudding or if there is nothing in house protein shake last resort though

prob 2.5L of water throughout day

• Registered Users Posts: 20,766 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Good afternoon Folks
    I go to the gym about 3 days a week and do cardio the other 3 days with football training and games, my problem is even though im fairly fit and lift heavey weights, im quite lean i seem to be finding it hard to get much muscel mass,
    Is there any supplements i can take to help, i currently dont take any but i tried protein shakes before i didn't seem to get any bigger and they just gave me a belly (i have good abs,) Just looking for a helping hand to start to build the muscel

Any help would be great

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

Pete

That might be the worst diet I've ever seen posted here. Forget about supplements.
    Read the stickies, at least twice, and slowly. Then post back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

Good afternoon Folks
    I go to the gym about 3 days a week and do cardio the other 3 days with football training and games, my problem is even though im fairly fit and lift heavey weights, im quite lean i seem to be finding it hard to get much muscel mass,
    Is there any supplements i can take to help, i currently dont take any but i tried protein shakes before i didn't seem to get any bigger and they just gave me a belly (i have good abs,) Just looking for a helping hand to start to build the muscel

Any help would be great

If you want to put on mass, unless you want to do it really slowly, it comes at the cost of putting on a bit of extra fat. There has been extensive debate on this topic recently on this forum, but suffice to say, if you really want to put on mass it's a simple case of eating more. Having a low cal diet and adding a few supplements just won't help.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭jambi

Shakes are a supplement. They can be a helpful addition to an already good diet. They won't, by themselves, help or deter weight loss. My advice would be to get your diet in order before thinking about supplements. Consult the stickies for help with that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭colman1212

OK I've read so much conflicting information about this at this stage. Do you actually need to do a loading phase with creatine?? and if so what kind of loading phase?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

colman1212 wrote: »
    OK I've read so much conflicting information about this at this stage. Do you actually need to do a loading phase with creatine?? and if so what kind of loading phase?

Not necessarily :pac:

You're going to reach a saturation point eventually either way

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭colman1212

Not necessarily :pac:

You're going to reach a saturation point eventually either way

so just stick with 5 or 10 grams a day basically?

How about 5 grams on non work out days and 10 grams on workout days or should you take the same amount every day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 xavier19

just watch what you mix your whey with. sometime juices (because or acidity) can really wreck your stomach. trust me i had an insufferable stomach pain once after i blended some blueberries and melon. now i stick to mixing it with water.

may not taste as nice but after a few weeks when i looked in the mirror, now that was nice!

ACTUALLY DOING EXERCISE MAKES A HUGE IMPROVEMENT :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭TrueMass

colman1212 wrote: »
    so just stick with 5 or 10 grams a day basically?

How about 5 grams on non work out days and 10 grams on workout days or should you take the same amount every day?

6g per day is more then enough training or non training. 3g per serving. Get good quality Creapure or a blend with it in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

jambi wrote: »
    Shakes are a supplement. They can be a helpful addition to an already good diet. They won't, by themselves, help or deter weight loss. My advice would be to get your diet in order before thinking about supplements. Consult the stickies for help with that

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Am wondering about this myself. I'm trying to lose between 6 and 7 stone and I take a protein shake after my gym workouts. Im just wondering if I should both and maybe I should just skip it?

My diet has been posted in the fitness log section.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

Am wondering about this myself. I'm trying to lose between 6 and 7 stone and I take a protein shake after my gym workouts. Im just wondering if I should both and maybe I should just skip it?

My diet has been posted in the fitness log section.

I would say drop the shake .. if you are lifting heavy you will have a large energy requirement which will have to be met from somewhere, and this can come from fat stores, even though not everybody will agree with this statement ..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭star.chaser

BlueIsland wrote: »
    Whey Protein shakes. trying to shed 2-3 stone. Do shakes help or deter weight loss??

protein is associated more with building muscle than losing weight.

reduced calorie intake + increased exercise = weight loss

start with small things like low fat milk instead of normal, taking the stairs instead of lifts, etc, etc, or for faster weight loss, join a gym.

Advertisement