Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supplements

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

jambi wrote: »
    Shakes are a supplement.
    Why is primarily a FOOD, which many people happen to supplement their diet with when weight training. Some people will supplement their diet with additional chicken which they would not ordinarily but they do not go calling chicken a "supplement".

I like whey and consider it part of my normal diet now, just another dairy product, I would eat it weight training or not.
    jambi wrote: »
    They won't, by themselves, help or deter weight loss.
    As Elieen said it can make you less hungry as it is more filling, so in that way it can help you to eat less, and so aid weight loss -as could other high protein foods in your diet.
    protein is associated more with building muscle than losing weight.
    Several weight loss products have protein as a major ingredient, slenderpro is one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭star.chaser

probably because protein makes you feel more full quicker than the other food groups. the concept of losing weight is pretty basic. your body need to use more calories than it is taking in. simple as that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭alder

protein gives same amount of calories as carbos do. but protein is never laid off as a fat and carbos are. therefore if one wants to redeuce his weight, he might cut carbos and replace them with proteins. surely general calories reduction required as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Doctor_Socks

Excess protein is turned into fat if the body doesn't need it at the time. Obviously if you are going through heavy exercise regimes your body will need almost all of the protein you ingest but don't think that to much won't result in weight gain. A good description is found here:

http://1stholistic.com/Nutrition/hol_nutr_does-excess-protein-turn-to-fat.htm

not all amino acids turn into fat. our body turns aminos into glucose when there's lack of glucose (brain's food). however, if a person doesn't do gym, doesn't run etc, and eats a lot of proteins, it might be not good. in fact, if you increase protein supply, it helps to burn goddamn fat.
    a huge proteins excess is dangerous for kidneys

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

he was actully probably just dehydrated, and bloated, the calories come from protein theres not that many carbs there, and the body doesnt store protein at all so either it gets used up or you piss it out, so if you piss it out the calories are gone, funny how quick people just jump the bandwagon and start dissing a suppliment because it didnt work out for them, rather than researching it first and taking it properly.

What are you talking about?
    i dont know the difference between having a belly and being "dehydrated and bloated"??

I put it to you now that you havnt a clue what you're talking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 kmvgk

I have taken Muscle RX but never No Explode. So i wouldn't be able to tell you which is better. I just saw that same video on youtube and bought it. But i can say that it does work and when i first started i only took one pill. NOw i think i need to take two but i don't want to stuff too much of those things in my system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Bodysmart

rubadub wrote: »
    Why is primarily a FOOD, which many people happen to supplement their diet with when weight training. Some people will supplement their diet with additional chicken which they would not ordinarily but they do not go calling chicken a "supplement".

Several weight loss products have protein as a major ingredient, slenderpro is one.

Good post Rubadub - as far as I'm concerned, the body does not know the difference between a whole food and a protein shake supplement. There's a lot of talk about the "thermogenic" properties of whole foods, but I'm not convinced.

I've been working with weight loss clients for over 10 years and its simply a matter of finding what suits them best. Protein shakes are not for everyone, but they have helped a LOT of my clients lose weight over the years.

This is especially true when they blend the shakes, adding nuts, seeds and low GI fruit to thicken it up. This makes it very filling and helps keep their blood sugar levels stable, keeping the sugar cravings at bay as a result.

To conclude, you can get great results with supplements and you get you can get great results without them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Realex: Jonathan

I've been taking EAS's ZMA supplement for the last month and am really finding it useful. It's a natural anabolic and as it's full of magnesium and zinc it's also supposed to promote a more restful sleep which is great for recovery. Expensive enough but well worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

Bodysmart wrote: »
    Good post Rubadub - as far as I'm concerned, the body does not know the difference between a whole food and a protein shake supplement. There's a lot of talk about the "thermogenic" properties of whole foods, but I'm not convinced.

I've been working with weight loss clients for over 10 years and its simply a matter of finding what suits them best. Protein shakes are not for everyone, but they have helped a LOT of my clients lose weight over the years.

This is especially true when they blend the shakes, adding nuts, seeds and low GI fruit to thicken it up. This makes it very filling and helps keep their blood sugar levels stable, keeping the sugar cravings at bay as a result.

To conclude, you can get great results with supplements and you get you can get great results without them.

Well said mate. Convenience is a key factor for many and cost as well. With a 5lb tub of whey available for sub €30.00 the price per gram of protein is pretty good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭SuperMario

if your not training for a week due to injury etc, should i still be taking protien shake like i do when training(i.e cyclone or one of the,)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭cookerj

Hey anyone heard about these Rocky Elsom products yet? A guy I know fairly well who works in Elvery's told me they've just taken on Rocky's own brand of sports supplements. I thought oh great another random endorsement but apparently it's Rocky's own company and he's designed all the products himself because he says all the products out there are full of sh*te.

I'd like to know more if anyone's got info?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Tevez101

hello, i'm 14 stone and need to get to 12.5 stone in weight, but i want some muscle aswell, I was 19 stone in july and have lost 5 stone in the last 4 months through a healthy diet and regular exercise. But I have found my arms are getting very thin although I do a small amount of weights after my cardio ( around 12 mins, 2-3 a week). would taking a protein shake help me build muscle in my arms and stomach and aid my weight loss, or could it make me get fatter, I know i would have to increase my weights work if I was to do this. And by the way, one last question, I know you cant spot reduce fat, but i still have a ''beer belly'' but have lost the fat in all other areas, my face, arms, legs etc., if I just continue on will I lose the fat in my stomach on its own without my arms getting thinner or will my body get thinner because i dont want that to happen, i've already dropped from a XXL to Medium and don't want to go any further.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Realex: Jonathan

Tevez, first of all well done on your work so far. Now is the point where you should really try cracking into a decent weight lifting program.
    Taking protein shakes won't make your arms bigger on their own, but if you are going to lift weights seriously for a while then you should consider taking additional protein to both help your recovery and build new muscle. Doing cardio and eating well has gotten you this far but it's those last ten pounds that will prove the most difficult to shift, the best way to go about this is a mix of weight lifiting and cardio. In terms of weights, you're starting from almost nothing so any simple program you can find online, maybe www.menshealth.com, will be good for the first month or two but your cardio is where you need to think about changing things up. You're right, you can't spot reduce fat, but if you want to burn fat then the best cardio for it is high intensity interval training, mixing up your cardio into short sharp busrts of high intensity interspersed with easier recovery periods, if you don't know where to start try spinning, that's a good example. You should aim to be lifting weights about three times a week, give yourself a day in between sessions because you'll be sore if you're only starting.
    Good luck with it.

it's impossible for a non-professional guy to reduce body weight and gain muscle mass at the same time. if you have still some fat to get rid off, do it. use reduction diet and exercises. than start to build muscle but with good diet to get lean meat - not a meat+fat.

you should eat more protein. it helps to reduce fat plus it's an energy instead of carbohydrates

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

15% off whey isolate from myprotein! Was just going to make an order from another company but I'm really happy about this, will have to get a few sacks now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

15% off whey isolate from myprotein! Was just going to make an order from another company but I'm really happy about this, will have to get a few sacks now.

How do you afford all this you bollox...

What do you mean all this? I haven't order protein in about 5 months I'd say, and whey isolate from myprotein isn't that expensive, especially on sale. I just see whey as part of my grocery list, and since trying to get the same serving of protein from meat or eggs will always work out dearer than whey, I think its easily justified to buy the products.

As to how can I afford it monetarily, I can't technically, I have a loan out this year.

What do you mean all this? I haven't order protein in about 5 months I'd say, and whey isolate from myprotein isn't that expensive, especially on sale. I just see whey as part of my grocery list, and since trying to get the same serving of protein from meat or eggs will always work out dearer than whey, I think its easily justified to buy the products.

As to how can I afford it monetarily, I can't technically, I have a loan out this year.

hmmm, i don't think my bank like me anymore so that's out...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

!!!

I just missed this by ordering on Sunday.

• Advertisement

hmmm, i don't think my bank like me anymore so that's out...

You'd be surprised what they'll give you...if you're not with Ulster Bank you can set up an interest free overdraft, without ever having lodged money with them. (which reminds me I have to pay them back! :( )
    BossArky wrote: »
    !!!

I just missed this by ordering on Sunday.

Oh that sucks. First time arsing about and not doing something has worked out for me. I guess its not worth ordering more to keep if you're going away soon?

You'd be surprised what they'll give you...if you're not with Ulster Bank you can set up an interest free overdraft, without ever having lodged money with them. (which reminds me I have to pay them back! :( )

it's complicated, i'm not technically a full-time student.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

thanks for the heads up brian, probably gonna order about 10kg to hold me over till next christmas :P

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

I guess its not worth ordering more to keep if you're going away soon?

Yeah I'll just make do with what I ordered.

On myprotein.com, I can't buy anything because I can't register because I have to give a postcode and Clonmel has no post code, what do I do??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

N/A or 0000 is your postcode for ROI

Ya I tried that but it's not working!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭TrueMass

Same happened to me, i tried changing it loads of different ways and just gave up.

'-' /dash/ doesn't work either ?

• Advertisement

000 000 and then the other box is 00000

Gawd its not that hard!

Advertisement