Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supplements

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

slemons wrote: »
    Bovine Colostrum, otherwise known as 'beastings'?

This isnt really training related and afaik its banned, so apologies in advance if this isnt the place for it.

Thanks
    John
    :)

http://www.myprotein.co.uk/bulk-powders/health-and-wellness/colostrum-%28nz%29/?gclid=CJH-wY2D6p4CFVtn4wodyD8pIw

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭COH

brianblaze wrote: »
    So I've always been a big fan of the pre-workout Supplements, (starting with Olimp Massacara back when I first started training, and now using Muscletech NaNO Vapor) but I've been hearing good things about BsN Volumaize and was thinking of giving that a shot this month, for a change of pace...

What's the verdict? Good idea, or bad idea?

Havent tried it, but as far as I know its not a pre-workout supplement (its designed to be taken during training, lots of aminos, carbs etc.) so you wont get the same 'kick' as you would from the caffeine/arginine/creatine blends that make up the majority of pre-workout supplements like nanovapor/shock-therapy/no-explode etc.

COH wrote: »
    Havent tried it, but as far as I know its not a pre-workout supplement (its designed to be taken during training, lots of aminos, carbs etc.) so you wont get the same 'kick' as you would from the caffeine/arginine/creatine blends that make up the majority of pre-workout supplements like nanovapor/shock-therapy/no-explode etc.

That's what the title of the questions says... I'm just wondering which is a better fit... I'll probably just buy more NOshotgun again. I'm just a supplement whore!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭COH

Didnt see the title! Sorry!

If you were a true supplement whore you'd buy both :cool:

COH wrote: »
    Didnt see the title! Sorry!

If you were a true supplement whore you'd buy both :cool:

That's how you end up broke... Oh wait, I already am!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭mindaugelis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

slemons wrote: »
    Bovine Colostrum, otherwise known as 'beastings'?

This isnt really training related and afaik its banned, so apologies in advance if this isnt the place for it.

Thanks
    John
    :)

Banned? For import, or for weightlifting/pl-ing competitors? If you were friendly with a livestock farmer you might be able to persuade him to give you some when the lambs/calves/kids start popping out in a couple of months. Don't try to pasteurise it if you get some though. :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

ok so i got the following two products
    reflex instant whey
    and
    the supplement factory casein.

got both flavours in vanilla.
    i made them up the smell nearly made me vomit. suffice to say i didnt even try them after.
    i got vanilla because i thought they might taste like vanilla ice cream or something. are all they supllements this bad or is it just vanilla. what would the strawberry be like. or is it just that i bought the worst products.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

reflex instant whey
    and

i made them up the smell nearly made me vomit. suffice to say i didnt even try them after.
    i got vanilla because i thought they might taste like vanilla ice cream or something. are all they supllements this bad or is it just vanilla. what would the strawberry be like. or is it just that i bought the worst products.

i have gone through two bags or refelx instant whey vanilla flavour and am on my third bag now.
    i find it very tasty to be honest.

did you try mixing it with low fat milk?

Im taking the strawberry flavour reflex at the moment,its also very nice

i have gone through two bags or refelx instant whey vanilla flavour and am on my third bag now.
    i find it very tasty to be honest.

did you try mixing it with low fat milk?

Im taking the strawberry flavour reflex at the moment,its also very nice

i take it with water which turns it into this rotten creamy colour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

i take it with water which turns it into this rotten creamy colour.

sure give the milk a go and see how you get on.
    im not a fan of it just mixed with water either

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

Hi GR,

If these are the first two supplements you have purchased then I can to a very small extent understand your view.

Any product with a high protein content will not taste as nice or feel as nice (mouth feel) as a product with a high carbohydrate content.

Now every company will have different variations of a similar type of product so it would be remiss of me to comment on two products I have not tried.

What you should try and do where feasible is try to purchase a few sample packs to see which products and which flavours you find palatable etcetera.

Casein is different to whey and therefore the same flavour will be markedly different due to the inherent differences in the products.

I would assume you found the casein worse than the whey but this is a guess?

I can say that by and large the products on the market today are far better than what was around in the late 80's early 90's.

The Guvnor wrote: »
    Hi GR,

If these are the first two supplements you have purchased then I can to a very small extent understand your view.

Any product with a high protein content will not taste as nice or feel as nice (mouth feel) as a product with a high carbohydrate content.

Now every company will have different variations of a similar type of product so it would be remiss of me to comment on two products I have not tried.

What you should try and do where feasible is try to purchase a few sample packs to see which products and which flavours you find palatable etcetera.

Casein is different to whey and therefore the same flavour will be markedly different due to the inherent differences in the products.

I would assume you found the casein worse than the whey but this is a guess?

I can say that by and large the products on the market today are far better than what was around in the late 80's early 90's.

ya that casein was unbareable. where would you get these samples. it was my first time. the casein mix turned into half solid half liquid. this realy vicous substance. it said put one scoop (which very really big eg like 3 good tablespoons ) of powder with 200ml water. the whey said one scoop with 300ml water. btw i dont have a shaker yet so used the smoothie maker.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

Samples will depend upon the company mate.

Casein does require more liquid than whey, in my experience and imo upto twice as much.

I would if I were you experiment a bit with the ratios until you find a consistency you like.

If you still dislike the flavours you have then it would be upto you to decide what to do with them. I personally would not consume something which I found to be unpleasant.

Best of luck mate!

like i was wondering did i just buy a rotten flavour. like say if i bought the strawberry would that be much nicer. or are they all the same. anything i could mix it in with just to make it taste nicer and not make it look like vomit.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭mindaugelis

reflex instant whey
    and

try new universal nutrition whey pro cookies and cream its best taste for me i ever try

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Toon--soldier

Has anyone used maximuscle cyclone yet? i have read reviews online but im not sure if thats just hype, i have been using whey protein for the last month but was wondering about switching to cyclone because its mixed with HMB and creatine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

What's a good amount of cod liver oil to take daily?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

Parsley wrote: »
    What's a good amount of cod liver oil to take daily?

2 teaspoons I reckon. Not that it matters too much, but afaik that is about 150cals ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/fats-and-oils/628/2

more like 80, but still deceptive amount of calories.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭mack32

Has anyone used maximuscle cyclone yet? i have read reviews online but im not sure if thats just hype, i have been using whey protein for the last month but was wondering about switching to cyclone because its mixed with HMB and creatine.

I wouldn't recommend Cyclone mate, used it for a while myself, besides the awful taste it was v v expensive for what you're getting. Now I did feel like I was getting results but it was just too expensive and gave me stomach aches for good measure.

These days I buy my protein and creatine separately and stack them, much cheaper and you get the same results without all the cons.

For creatine I use www.universalnutrition.ie/viewproduct/1

For protein I use www.universalnutrition.ie/viewproduct/20

Another site that a lot of people recommend is myprotein.co.uk but I haven't used their stuff myself.

On a side note are you sure you actually need the creatine? Have you been training long? I wouldn't recommend using it until you have your diet sorted and even then only when you hit a plateau

whats the nicest tasting whey supplements. are the choclate bars with protein any good. saw one in cummins sport shop but it was like 3.50 but looked nice enough. it said it had 20g of protein in it.

mack32 wrote: »
    I wouldn't recommend Cyclone mate, used it for a while myself, besides the awful taste it was v v expensive for what you're getting. Now I did feel like I was getting results but it was just too expensive and gave me stomach aches for good measure.

These days I buy my protein and creatine separately and stack them, much cheaper and you get the same results without all the cons.

For creatine I use www.universalnutrition.ie/viewproduct/1

For protein I use www.universalnutrition.ie/viewproduct/20

Another site that a lot of people recommend is myprotein.co.uk but I haven't used their stuff myself.

On a side note are you sure you actually need the creatine? Have you been training long? I wouldn't recommend using it until you have your diet sorted and even then only when you hit a plateau

Well i have my diet sorted a while now and have been training for the last 3 weeks, have been taking whey protein but was under the impression that creatine was what actually increases your muscles size? im starting to get confused now with all the different supplements out there, at the moment im 5'11 weigh 155Lbs but would like to another 20 pounds to that but i wasnt sure if I could get those gains on just whey protein alone.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

i wasnt sure if I could get those gains on just whey protein alone.:confused:

Whey is just a food. You'll need more food in general to put on weight. Supplements might help a little, but nowhere near as much as simple eating more.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭Esse85

whats the nicest tasting whey supplements. are the choclate bars with protein any good. saw one in cummins sport shop but it was like 3.50 but looked nice enough. it said it had 20g of protein in it.
    For taste, this is the nicest i've tried http://www.gasparinutrition.com/Home/AllProducts/MyoFusion/ProductProfile/tabid/102/Default.aspx

If you want an all in one product, both of these are cheaper alternatives, i have used both before as a post workout shake.

http://www.bulksupplementsdirect.co.uk/khxc/gbu0-catshow/BSD_Regenerate.html
    http://www.myprotein.co.uk/formulas/mp-formulas/hurricane-xs-(2500g)/

Waste of money at that price.

mloc wrote: »
    Whey is just a food. You'll need more food in general to put on weight. Supplements might help a little, but nowhere near as much as simple eating more.

I find i cant eat more then i am already eating so i was wondering would creatine help

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭enviro

Looking to purchase whey, would NutritionX big whey be a good choice and at 49.99euro, good value? (6lbs)

• Advertisement

enviro wrote: »
    Looking to purchase whey, would NutritionX big whey be a good choice and at 49.99euro, good value? (6lbs)
    Nothing wrong with that brand, but if you want a cheaper alternative go here http://www.myprotein.co.uk/bulk-supplies/flavoured-protein/impact-blend/

Lots of the guys here use this crowd and even when shipping is taken into account, im sure its still chaper.

Advertisement