Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supplements

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

The function of creatine is simply to provide your body with ATP, providing energy for muscle contractions during your workout. So it might provide some help during your workouts if you are going in a calorie deficit. Were you more concerned about the whole aspect of water retention? CEE 'shouldnt' do this since it is meant to be absorbed better within the cells so if that's your concern CEE could be better. But i honestly wouldn't get too worked up over it. Iv had Monohydrate before and didn't notice any water retention. If im looking for a creatine product i wan't somthing that works effectively with my workouts like it's supposed to do and not worry about having extra water around my abdominal area tbh (when the time comes it can taper off if it does come down to that anyway)

Just so you know, if you planned on getting CEE powder, don't... it's mank! It's extremely bitter and you can only stomach it (just about) with quite acidic fruit juices like Orange juice etc. Either get CEE tablets or just stick with Monohydrate. I got my Kilo tub of CEE about 1 half years ago and just about finished it. I'm only using it because its there but yeah, you might regret it if you get powder :pac:

They do, it's called Hurricane :D

@ Darcha: I got a sample of Raspberry Ripple with my order on myprotein so will report back when i get it. BTW you know you can have a signature on boards? Go to the User Control Panel on the toolbar above. Save ya writing in your MP referral code all the time! :D
    Wondering about both really but mainly the water retention issue. That's why I was looking at CEE. I don't really need to cut that much but swimsuit season is approaching and I'm a vain bastard!

Thanks for the headsup on the powder, I'll check the tablet prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭keezer

Hey Guys, just bit the bullet and bought some supplements of my protien.

Hopully i made the right purchase based on my stats:

Im 20, about 5.8, 10.5 stone.65kg, BF 13% and im a veggie but do eat dairy but not getting enough protien into my diet

I have orered the following

Impact Whey Protein
    Flavour: Choc. Mint [1kg]

MP Blender Bottle

MP Small Scoup

MyBar Oats and Whey
    Flavour: Real Raspberry Product---1box1

When should i be taking a shake.

Thanks guys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

keezer wrote: »
    Hey Guys, just bit the bullet and bought some supplements of my protien.

Hopully i made the right purchase based on my stats:

Im 20, about 5.8, 10.5 stone.65kg, BF 13% and im a veggie but do eat dairy but not getting enough protien into my diet

I have orered the following

Impact Whey Protein
    Flavour: Choc. Mint [1kg]

MP Blender Bottle

MP Small Scoup

MyBar Oats and Whey
    Flavour: Real Raspberry Product---1box1

When should i be taking a shake.

Thanks guys

after training, mixed with water for faster absorption. and have some carb-y food too.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭excalaber

Hi,
    Im 5 9 and 11 stone...work out bout 3 times a week and with bit of running too!
    can anybody recommend a shake!!lookin for the "beach body".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

excalaber wrote: »
    Hi,
    Im 5 9 and 11 stone...work out bout 3 times a week and with bit of running too!
    can anybody recommend a shake!!lookin for the "beach body".

what does your workout consist of?

What is your current diet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭excalaber

2 upper body..1 day lower, nd 2 5k runs!!upper...mil press, preacher curls, skull crushers,lats pulls, pec deck flies,bench press, side lat raises, pull ups, etc.....lower is squats, calfs, hamstrings, leg press..and abs.....diet is 3 or 4 meals a days prob spuds, meat, pasta some days, eggs, brown bread fruit nd veg

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Dubdude

For the 'beach body' be really careful of how much spuds and pasta you eat as it the carbs that will kill you

excalaber wrote: »
    2 upper body..1 day lower, nd 2 5k runs!!upper...mil press, preacher curls, skull crushers,lats pulls, pec deck flies,bench press, side lat raises, pull ups, etc.....lower is squats, calfs, hamstrings, leg press..and abs.....diet is 3 or 4 meals a days prob spuds, meat, pasta some days, eggs, brown bread fruit nd veg

are you looking to add muscle? or lose fat? or a bit of both? Whey shakes ftw, if for some reason you cant meet protein requirements from whole foods.. imo you dont need any other supps apart from Caffeine before a run maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Lay out your doet detailed for every meal and snack

eg -- 8am : porridge

10am handful nuts etc

It should be easy enough to meet proetin requirements through food if you dont mind eating lean cuts of chicken, tuna and lots of cottage cheese etc. if you have awful trouble getting enough requrements for protein then go to shakes pre/post workout w/water for fast release or milk for slower release.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭handsomecake

as opposed to say holland and barrett own brand creatine/whey etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭J-Fit

As opposed to H and B's it probably is but put it up against optimum, cytopsort or even myprotein and you're losing value for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

No. Shop online. MyProtein is where the value for money is at these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭joepenguin

Nope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 A_m_y

Hey all,

I've always been into fitness, go to the gym regularly, do yoga/pilates and bellydancing but have been training the last few months for my first marathon (eek!) I've dropped 2 sizes since I started but not much weight... which Im guessing means I've gained muscle??

Anyway my dilemma is i'm the only girl in the group of us that are doing the marathon, and the lads all think I should be taking protein supplements (shakes etc) after training, since apparently I don't eat enough protein to promote muscle healing (???)... are they right?? Or is it weird!? Sorry if it's a stupid question! I'm new to this!!

Thanks in advance :)

A

A_m_y wrote: »
    Hey all,

I've always been into fitness, go to the gym regularly, do yoga/pilates and bellydancing but have been training the last few months for my first marathon (eek!) I've dropped 2 sizes since I started but not much weight... which Im guessing means I've gained muscle??

Anyway my dilemma is i'm the only girl in the group of us that are doing the marathon, and the lads all think I should be taking protein supplements (shakes etc) after training, since apparently I don't eat enough protein to promote muscle healing (???)... are they right?? Or is it weird!? Sorry if it's a stupid question! I'm new to this!!

Thanks in advance :)

A

they could be right! how much protein do you eat normally? Marathon training is not synonymous to building muscle normally

corkcomp wrote: »
    they could be right! how much protein do you eat normally? Marathon training is not synonymous to building muscle normally

Yeah you're right there! But the days i'm not running i've starting lifting light weights (like i said, im new!!) and i do pilates a lot more than I used to.

I would probably only ever eat meat with one meal, maybe some chicken with dinner, or fish.. and even then not a huge amount. I just don't have a taste for it! I eat nuts and seeds everyday, but very little meat or poultry! I don't drink milk either, but a good amount of cheese/yoghurt...

A

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

You don't necessarily need protein shakes to meet your protein requirements. First and foremost try to find ways to increase protein intake via solid foods and then if you're still falling you could try protein shakes.

I only use them after runs of 13 miles or over. I've been having one a day for the last couple of days to prepare for competition. I use provon revive which is 4:1 carbs to protein, tried others in the past but never really took to any the way I have with provon(the free box I got a year ago helped). I do find it helps with recovery but purely used to aid recovery not to put something into my diet that I can put in by thinking through my food choices.

A_m_y wrote: »
    Yeah you're right there! But the days i'm not running i've starting lifting light weights (like i said, im new!!) and i do pilates a lot more than I used to.

I would probably only ever eat meat with one meal, maybe some chicken with dinner, or fish.. and even then not a huge amount. I just don't have a taste for it! I eat nuts and seeds everyday, but very little meat or poultry! I don't drink milk either, but a good amount of cheese/yoghurt...

A

take a whey shake with water after each session in that case .. both running + weights. it does sound like your current diet is a bit light on protein..

take a whey shake with water after each session in that case .. both running + weights. it does sound like your current diet is a bit light on protein..

Ok maybe i'l give that a try! Thanks :)

I do find it helps with recovery but purely used to aid recovery not to put something into my diet that I can put in by thinking through my food choices.

Yeah i get that I should probably eat more food that will provide protein, but i find it quite hard, i don't like red meat, and like i said before don't really eat a lot of chicken or fish, maybe one serving daily.. I've been adding hemp to my cereal and stuff for years, and sneak nuts and seeds into everything, so i never really thought about it until i start training more.

I'll research a few and maybe consider drinking one after my long runs and weight sessions, anything to speed up recovery!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭Esse85

To answer your question: yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭empirix

brianblaze wrote: »
    No. Shop online. MyProtein is where the value for money is at these days.

ON wipes the floor, monstersupplements.com are an english website with good discounts, don't rate the myprotein myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

I got a sample of Raspberry Ripple with my order on myprotein so will report back when i get it
    DARCHA22 wrote:
    Let me know what the rasp ripple is like

Got my sample today and gets a thumbs up from me. Very nice! Mixed it in with my oats though so i don't know 100% what it tastes in water but it tastes nice from what i can tell

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

are you looking to add muscle? or lose fat? or a bit of both?

Until this question is answered, I'm afraid no one can say for sure what you need to be doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

just gonna put this out here again, no one really answered the last time.

im completely new to the whole supplements and protein thing. my exercise consists of weight-training and quite a bit of cardio. im looking to lose weight/bodyfat whilst building muscle, ive had relative success but feel like ive hit a brickwall. a few friends of mine have said i should be on protein shakes but they didnt seem to know what they were talking about that much.

considering im looking to lose fat but gain muscle at the same time, will protein shakes benefit this? i see loads of guys in the gym who drink the shakes and are big and broad but also have bellies on them. im not looking to gain much in size anymore, more so tone up now.are fat burners any use/or worth the side effects?

very confused but appreciate any help you can give.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭optimistic_

df1985 wrote: »

im completely new to the whole supplements and protein thing. my exercise consists of weight-training and quite a bit of cardio. im looking to lose weight/bodyfat whilst building muscle, ive had relative success but feel like ive hit a brickwall. a few friends of mine have said i should be on protein shakes but they didnt seem to know what they were talking about that much.

considering im looking to lose fat but gain muscle at the same time, will protein shakes benefit this? i see loads of guys in the gym who drink the shakes and are big and broad but also have bellies on them. im not looking to gain much in size anymore, more so tone up now.are fat burners any use/or worth the side effects?

Same boat as this chap, so answer would be great!
    Trying to watch calories now etc, and once callipers arrives I’ll be able to work out my correct deficit for weight loss (based on RMR formula)
    But will say, whey shake after hard work in cardio and lifting benefit me, promote fat loss?
    On gym days (4 – 5 per week 3 being cardio and lifting, 2 being just cardio) I tend to have one half shake in the morning, just water, no oats, but porridge afterwards, then after gym 1 shake, followed by meal 1 hr later of lean chicken breast, carrots and broccoli.

Anyway, is whey beneficial to what we’re trying to do? Have read articles saying it promotes fat loss with exercise.

Extra bit - Fair play to g'em and lots of others. Great info in all of your posts.

As protein helps repair muscle it would be beneficial to take a protein shake with milk or water after your training sessions, the more muscle you have the better your ability to burn fat.

I'm looking to gain more muscle myself, as in decrease body fat, i havent lost much weight, maybe 6 pounds in the last two months but my body fat has went from 21.5% to 18.%.

I take these supplements called Fibe everday too, apparently full of good stomach bacteria and promote a flat tummy, dont know if they're a factor or not but it's def flatter!!

If you've been weight training for any length of time then you will not really be able to lose weight and build any real amount of muscle, earlier success is usually attributed to beginner's gains.

It depends on your goals from here on in, I'd suggest you lose the weight by upping cardio/ calorie deficit while trying to maintain your current muscle mass/strength by sticking at the gym.
    You can then start gaining mass.

Shakes do not make you fat(subject to fair usage ^ ^), the guys you see at the gym are probably in an oldskool eat anything bulk phaze(although I try to keep the abs visible) keeping the chisled look all year round is hard to balance, so a lot of guys tend to bulk/cut.

I suggest you work out your daily protein needs and decide if you are getting enough. If not maybe shakes are for you.

Whey Shakes are great post workout with some simple carbs(glucose), because whey is broken down really fast and used to repair muscle, whereas say chicken takes a lot longer to digest.
    Also pound for pound whey is a cheap source of protein.
    A lot of people use creatine also in shakes. I can lift a bit extra and squeeze out more reps with it. I also find DOMS isn't an issue with it(except leg day, but although the pain is worse it generally doesn't last long ).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

At the minute I'm using MRI Black Powder pre workout, and 2:1:1 Recovery post workout.

I take the black powder pre run on non workout days for the extra energy kick.

Would anyone suggest a better supplement plan as its near enough replenishment time.

Aims are: muscle definition/building, fat loss.

• Advertisement

slemons wrote: »
    I just got a big order in from iherb. In 3 days! what a place....

Anyway has anyone ever used coconut oil?

E.V. Coconut Oil (Garden of Life branded) http://www.iherb.com/ProductDetails.aspx?pid=3111
    alpha gpc (Now Foods brand) http://www.iherb.com/ProductDetails.aspx?p...540226149984591
    R-Lipoic Acid (Doctors Best Brand) http://www.iherb.com/ProductDetails.aspx?pid=4
    orthocore from aor europe http://www.aoreurope.co.uk/product/view/944

Anyway, its BEAUTIFUL! Its not really an oil either, more like butter
    Anyone take it?
    How do you find it?

I have a tub, can't cook with it because it smells like ****e. It's like lard actually. The best way to take it is by tea spoon.
    It's a good fat with some great things being said, but as I said it's stinky ****e if you try to use it for cooking(the reason why I bought it originally was to replace olive oil in frying).

I've tried adding it to porridge but it just ends up like a greasy mess. I'm going to finish off the tub by taking it in teaspoons but I won't be buying it again.

And I paid extra for the non stinky stuff so I can only imagine what the cheaper stuff is like.

Advertisement