Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supplements

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Carl Sagan

About to order off Myprotein and I'm not sure what the difference between the isolate and impact blend is? Can't imagine there's much between them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Carl Sagan wrote: »
    About to order off Myprotein and I'm not sure what the difference between the isolate and impact blend is? Can't imagine there's much between them.

One is isolate and one is concentrate/blend of concentrate and isolate. The main difference in my experience is that I get bloated after concentrate and not with isolate.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭Esse85

I would go with the blend unless your looking to compete, makes more financial sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭n1ck

Anyone wanna swap a tub of Toffee STC protein(had 1 scoop out of it to find out i hate it!) for a strawberry flavour of anything else? :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭LFC5Times

Hi,

Does anybody take PerforMaxx daily for their vitamin and mineral requirements?

I was thinking of adding this to my daily routine.

See link below, if you click on the bottle it will give you the amounts of vitamins/minerals in it.

http://www.optimumnutrition.com/products/performaxx-sports-multiple-p-183.html

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Does anyone know when myproteins payment service will resume?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

New to the gym. Want to know what supplements will help me. I'm 5'9, 76 kg. Any advice thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭DARCHA22

LFC5Times wrote: »
    Hi,

Does anybody take PerforMaxx daily for their vitamin and mineral requirements?

I was thinking of adding this to my daily routine.

See link below, if you click on the bottle it will give you the amounts of vitamins/minerals in it.

http://www.optimumnutrition.com/products/performaxx-sports-multiple-p-183.html

Cheers

yes you should take a multivitamin

Davei141 wrote: »
    Does anyone know when myproteins payment service will resume?

email them

i assume it is up and running now, the new site is probably finished at this stage.

Osu wrote: »
    New to the gym. Want to know what supplements will help me. I'm 5'9, 76 kg. Any advice thanks.

depends what your goal is? :confused:

As a rule of thumb you shouldnt touch supps til your diet is sorted and you have your training down.

If you repost with more detail, someone on here will advise you.or just use the search engine (prob your quickest bet)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭LFC5Times

Where is the best/cheapest place to buy Optimum Nutrition products online? Preferably in Europe as was hit for custom charges before when buying a few supplement products before from the US.

Thanks

Where is the best/cheapest place to buy Optimum Nutrition products online? Preferably in Europe as was hit for custom charges before when buying a few supplement products before from the US.

Thanks

try these guys, i used to buy some of my brand stuff off them

http://www.discount-supplements.co.uk/brands/optimum-nutrition

• Closed Accounts Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Carl Sagan

Osu wrote: »

What are your goals? Lose weight, build muscle, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

anyone close to Naas?

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pages/Naas-Ireland/First-Stop-Nutrition/121737674510128?ref=ts

First Stop Nutrition are running this deal

First Stop Nutrition's Photos - MAY MADNESS SPECIAL OFFERS FOR FACE BOOK FRIENDS ONLY

10 LB TUB OF GAINER AT €40 SAVE €15 OF RETAIL OR A 1.5KG COMPLETE RECOVERY AT €25.99 OR A 6LB TUB OF COMPLETE PROTEIN AT €40 OR TRY MEGA PUMPAT €35 THESE OFFERS ARE FOR OUR FACEBOOK FRIENDS ONLY YOUR FACE IS ON OUR PAGE THEN ITS YOURS ENJOY THIS OFFER IS FOR A LIMITED TIME ONLY

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

Thanks

Glan Bia recently bought over ON. They now have an Irish distributor putting product out to the Republic and Northern Ireland, so it stands to reason that their be an Irish ON site? So hopefully will see it sooner rather than later. Gold standard at decent rates for all! Hurrah! No more long waits and customs being a pain in the left nut + hopefully cheaper too if your not near a decent shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,342 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

rubadub wrote: »
    I saw 3-4 scrawny 15 year old lads in H&B before, they wanted to get creatine and the woman refused them, then they started looking at protein bars and she said they were fine as they were simply food

One or two of the protein bars that are available here also have about 5g creatine (amount might be off).
    Now, I don't take creatine, and I'm not going to at this time (just don't like liquid calories, try to save them for solid food). I also know that if I was, buying in bulk would be better.

Ok, the pack advise to take before training (I'm a freak I read everything I pick up). I was wondering, what sort of effect would taking such low volumes of creatine have, say one bar a week. I imagine (but am not sure at all) that creatine completely counter productive to weight loss.

And again, don't bother with;
    You'd be better of buying X, Y or Z
    Why are you taking Creatine if you are on a diet etc.

I know and i'm not. I'm just a curious fecker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

infrequent creatine use wouldn't have any real effects. You already take in small amounts through red meat, the amount you're talking about in the bar sounds like an extra steak or two a week. Creatine doesn't have any calories afaik and would not have any negative effects on weight loss especially at that volume. It can sometimes cause water retention but that's usually only when people are loading their creatine (about 20g a day I think). You shouldn't experience any water retentions from 5g a week.
    I'm just basing all that off what I've read in the past but I don't see why the creatine in a bar should have any negative effects for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Doubs

Hi guys,

Am wondering what the general consensus is with protein in terms of where to get it/best value? Am out so need to grab a tub.

I'm 6'2 and about 14st/90kgs, wouldn't mind getting up to somewhere between 14 and a half to 15st. Work out 2/3 times a week and run 3/4 times a week.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

Doubs wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Am wondering what the general consensus is with protein in terms of where to get it/best value? Am out so need to grab a tub.

Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Gold Standard Choclate Mint does the trick for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Doubs

BigDuffman wrote: »
    Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Gold Standard Choclate Mint does the trick for me!

Thanks for that, where abouts do you get it from?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭cookerj

There are some guys on gumtree selling ON and other products at good prices, you can usually haggle them down a good bit if you buy a bit of volume.

I finally got my hands on the new Elsom stuff, looks like their marketing campaign's just taking off - I saw it in Elverys and a few mates saw it in some gyms I but got it on elsomnutrition.com

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭GampDub

Hi guys,

Just looking for some supplement advise. I play football and am looking to lost a some weight as well as getting as fit as possible over the summer for next season.

I suffer a bit with tedonitis in my knee which sometimes limits the running I can do particulary on the hard ground during the summer months. I also tore some ligaments a couple of years ago in my ankle which tend to flair up from time to time! I've been to countless physios with both and there seems no final cure for both unless I give up football completly but I don't plan on doing that.

I currently do some form of exercise about 4/5 times a week for at least an hour and have changed my diet...

I've been looking at some supplements I can use to help boost my training/weight loss as well as help take care of my ailing knee/ankle.

Using myprotien.co.uk I have come up with the following supplements/vitamins that should help me , the dosage is as recommended by the site.

Cissus Quadrangularis (dose 2 caps per day)
    Glucosamine Chondroitin (3 caps per day)
    Omega 3 (3 Caps per day)
    Thermopure (3 caps per day) - I used Maximuscle Thermobol to aid wieght loss before and it really helped this is a much cheaper alternative.
    Multi Vit (4 per day)

My questions are:

Is it safe/okay to take this many tablets on a daily basis?
    Are there alternative to the above that I can use that would reduce the amount I would need to take?
    Can all of the above tablets be mixed?

My plan would be only to take the Cissus & Thermopure for 3/4 weeks until I see the results I need and then hopefully stop taking them and push on without them.

Sorry for the essay, any help would be grately appreciated!

Gampdub

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

only thing I wouldn't use is the thermopure as some people can be sensitive to the ingredients which can cause high blood pressure and cause cardio vascular problems. I’d be more in favour of getting your diet 100% right first up. Perhaps record your diet for a week and post it up here plenty of folks will set you right.

Good luck !

Ingredients
    Amount Per 3 Capsules:
    Polyphenols (from Green Tea Extract [std. to 98% polyphenols by UV, 50% EGCG by HPLC]) 356.25mg
    Thermogenic Blend (Caffeine, Raspberry Ketones, Cayenne Powder (30,000-50,000 SHU) 300mg
    L-Tyrosine 200mg
    L-Theanine 125mg
    7mg Vitamin B6 (as Pyridoxine HCl) 7mg
    Bioperine 5mg
    Chromium (as Chromium Poly) 40µg
    Vitamin B12 (as Cyanocobalamin) 7µg

Doubs wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I'm 6'2 and about 14st/90kgs, wouldn't mind getting up to somewhere between 14 and a half to 15st. Work out 2/3 times a week and run 3/4 times a week.

Thanks!

http://www.myprotein.co.uk/products/true_whey

cheap as chips

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Borger

hey i have posted here once before in regard to my beginning weights training...
    I have kept up the regime I was given and i am happy with the results... i have lost fat and gained the muscle i wanted... but i am finding it very hard to put on weight... i am 67kg ... only 2 up from what i was in january... and i was wondering if any of ye had any advice on a protein supplement that would not only help me to gain muscle but to also help me gain a bit of weight? im aiming to be around 75kg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

Borger wrote: »
    hey i have posted here once before in regard to my beginning weights training...
    I have kept up the regime I was given and i am happy with the results... i have lost fat and gained the muscle i wanted... but i am finding it very hard to put on weight... i am 67kg ... only 2 up from what i was in january... and i was wondering if any of ye had any advice on a protein supplement that would not only help me to gain muscle but to also help me gain a bit of weight? im aiming to be around 75kg

Eat more and train hard. I made that exact jump in about a year and it was purely down to increasing the amount I ate. I didn't pile on fat cause I was training hard enough. Supplement wise I used 1 scoop of serious mass (the massive scoop you get in the bag) blended (and it has to be blended) with around 750mls of milk every morning. I only used this for a while but found it excellent for building up

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

just start drinking more milk.
    work up to 2, then 3, then 4 L of milk per day for 6-8 weeks.
    train hard and with intensity
    the weight will go on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

just a quick reccomendation to be people

BSN cell-mass blue berry tastes like detergent...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

just a quick reccomendation to be people

BSN cell-mass blue berry tastes like detergent...

Where the feck do you get the cash for all these supps :(

I've had 2 kg of protein in the past 2 feckin years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

just started taking ZMA two days ago and i havent had a decent sleep on it yet,no crazy dreams either.
    im usually a good sleeper,7-8 hours usually,often up to 10 or 12 but last night i slept for a rubbish 5 hours and tonight,fell asleep for an hour and now am wide awake.
    has anyone else had this happen to them?i really just want to sleep normally again....should i ditch it?or is this a "settling in period" of some sort?
    reading some reviews online it would appear that ZMA promotes a healthy deep sleep,for most people....
    what pisses me off most is the fact you need to take it on an empty stomach,im a BIG fan of a big bowl of porridge with milk pre-bedtime but the calcium inhibits the benefits of the ZMA....

any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement