Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supplements

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Anyone know a supermarket I could pick up some glucose/dextrose? I didn't see any in Tesco in Dundrum.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Sangre wrote: »
    Anyone know a supermarket I could pick up some glucose/dextrose? I didn't see any in Tesco in Dundrum.

Yep dundrum is crap for buying it.
    There's a small shop just off mountcarmel road in goatstown that sells it for 1 euro a bag. Also the 2nd spar on the way to stillorgan (it's the big spar not the small one) has it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Hey I looking for protein for recovery from weights and running without the worry of it being a serious weight gainer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭alfy101

carl456 wrote: »
    Never tried it myself, i always steer clear of most of those types of creatines. You'd be just as well off with some basic monohydrate, 21euro for 1kg from bulkpowders,co.uk, at 5grams a day thats 200 days as opposed to the length of time you'll get from cellmass, and i'm guessing you paid more than 20 quid for it??

alot lot more LOL

whats the differnce with creatine and basic monohydrate :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭gavkm27

alfy101 wrote: »
    alot lot more LOL

whats the differnce with creatine and basic monohydrate :confused:

Creatine Monohydrate is full name,so no difference,you can buy this on it's own in bulk,BSN will have a load of other stuff included,amino acids etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Yep dundrum is crap for buying it.
    There's a small shop just off mountcarmel road in goatstown that sells it for 1 euro a bag. Also the 2nd spar on the way to stillorgan (it's the big spar not the small one) has it.
    Which Spar is that exactly? Don't have car so just wondering how handy it is for me to get there.

Any suggestions for glucose/dextrose near centre of town are also welcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

gavkm27 wrote: »
    Creatine Monohydrate is full name,so no difference,you can buy this on it's own in bulk,BSN will have a load of other stuff included,amino acids etc.

I'm almost sure Cellmass is CEE and not Mono, but am too lazy to google it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭n1ck

Sangre wrote: »
    Which Spar is that exactly? Don't have car so just wondering how handy it is for me to get there.

Any suggestions for glucose/dextrose near centre of town are also welcome.

Try Dunnes Stores off O'Connell Street, I know Dunnes in the Square has it so might be worth a try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

djhunter30 wrote: »
    Hey I looking for protein for recovery from weights and running without the worry of it being a serious weight gainer.

Then get the one labeled "whey protein" and leave the one labeled "weight gainer".

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭electric69

Can anyone tell me if ECA stacks are legal in Ireland and if yes, where can i buy?
    AFAIK the law in the UK is that it is illegal to sell them but not illegal to be in posession of it... a link to where i can read about the laws on stacks/roids would be appreciated!:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Ephedrine is illegal and not a steroid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 wearerovers

hey i was thinking of getting animals cuts to help my lower my bodyfat % a bit more!! would anyone recomenmed it as i have read a lot of reviews and am not sure to say the least!! Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭rocky

barryd09 wrote: »
    what are peoples intake of fish oils?

im currently taking a 1000mg fish oil capsule twice a day,once in the morning and once in the evening.are there suggested times to take them or am i ok at that?plus is 2000mg of omega 3 a day enough?

I started taking cod liver oil 2x1000mg a day and that got rid of most of the knee pain, this week I began taking 3 a day and I feel even better.

I got the Boots 60 capsules variety, when that finished I got the Tesco 90 capsules, for less then half the price. It also has more EPA/DHA than the boots one (110/100mg).

I read that the absolute quantities of EPA/DHA don't matter so much as the ratio between them... Is there anything I should be concerned about by taking the cheap tesco fish oil?

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Name Changed

Lads,

Quick question.

I've never used supplements before. I have started doing a lot of training, mostly cardio. I am also playing a lot of tennis/squash and doing a weights session (nothing too heavy) about twice a week to help tone up, but not bulk up.

Is it worth taking a supplement? Maybe one for muscle recovery? Or should I even bother?

And if so, what's the best? Whey protein? (Half price in Holland & Barretts at the moment)

WOuld taking that Lucozade Sport powder do the job if it's mostly just for cardio (with some low weights now and again)?

water is all you need. lucozade sport is full of cards and you want any if you are trying to "tone" up.

Why would you need a muscle recovery supplement if you arent doing a serious workout?if you were doing a 5day split then maybe but based on your current exercise it would be pointless.the quickest and easiest way to lose body fat is to in a calorific deficit.doing a light weight session twice a week isnt really going to do anything in terms of building any muscle.if you want to have more visible muscle you need to have a low % bodyfat and of course muscle to show

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

So creatine is good for increased stamina and endurance as well as a quicker recovery. Will try it again! Is the bulking effect primarily caused by the dosage though?

electric69 wrote: »
    water is all you need. lucozade sport is full of cards and you want any if you are trying to "tone" up.

Why would you need a muscle recovery supplement if you arent doing a serious workout?if you were doing a 5day split then maybe but based on your current exercise it would be pointless.the quickest and easiest way to lose body fat is to in a calorific deficit.doing a light weight session twice a week isnt really going to do anything in terms of building any muscle.if you want to have more visible muscle you need to have a low % bodyfat and of course muscle to show

A little muscle wouldn't be too bad. I'm specifically training for a marathon but doing the squash & tennis as extra plus the weights twice a week. The fitness would be more important to me that gaining muscle.

A little muscle wouldn't be too bad. I'm specifically training for a marathon but doing the squash & tennis as extra plus the weights twice a week. The fitness would be more important to me that gaining muscle.

well if you want to build muscle: high protein diet,calorific surplus and heavy weights low reps

if fitness is more important then the above is not suitable.marathon training is all about endurance and that = low weight and high reps.

its one or the other :)

well if you want to build muscle: high protein diet,calorific surplus and heavy weights low reps

if fitness is more important then the above is not suitable.marathon training is all about endurance and that = low weight and high reps.

So I'd be better off not taking any! Cheers for the info.

• Advertisement

djhunter30 wrote: »
    So creatine is good for increased stamina and endurance as well as a quicker recovery. Will try it again! Is the bulking effect primarily caused by the dosage though?

what do you mean by "bulking effect"? basically creatine helps to increase your recovery time by increasing the amount of water stored in your muscle and protein synthesis is increased so therefore you can do more reps in a given time period compared to not taking any.it also depends of what type of creatine you are taking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

what do you mean by "bulking effect"? basically creatine helps to increase your recovery time by increasing the amount of water stored in your muscle and protein synthesis is increased so therefore you can do more reps in a given time period compared to not taking any.it also depends of what type of creatine you are taking.

water storage is a side-effect really, creatine really works to replenish ATP (energy for contracting muscles) in the short term, help your muscles work harder, lift heavier, few more reps maybe.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭denballs

g'em wrote: »
    N.B. Supplements are just like they say in the dictionary: “something added to complete a thing, make up for a deficiency, or extend or strengthen the whole”. Supplements should not be used to replace a wholefood, balanced diet.

The information below is to help clear up any confusion about what supplements really are. It will also provide a thread where all supplement discussions will be directed as the same questions invariably get asked and (hopefully) this thread will provide a one-stop resource to help you find the information you need. Ask questions about a particular supplement you want to use or provide feedback about something you've enjoyed or found beneficial. PLEASE USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION BEFORE POSTING A NEW QUESTION!!!

Whey Protein: The most common protein supplement available on the market is powdered whey protein. Whey is a type of protein that comes from milk, and it is one of the best quality proteins found in any food. It is quick to absorb and contains a full complement of amino acids. In other words, drinking a whey shake will provide you the same protein that an egg or a piece of chicken would, but it’s easier for your body to digest.

As a general rule of thumb, for anyone participating in sports or who regularly engages in strength training, your body will need extra protein to aid in recovery and regrowth and should therefore consume approximately 1g of protein per lb of bodyweight. The protein should primarily come from wholefoods but protein shakes can be used to delivery protein quickly post-workout and to make up for any shortcomings in protein intake throughout the day.

Whey proteins are usually provided as concentrates (whey plasma has all the liquid removed thereby concentrating the protein content into dry powdered form) and isolates (all fats and carbohydrates are removed leaving pure protein) or as a blend of both e.g. Whey from the Supplement Factory, Big Whey from Nutrition X, ON Whey, Pro Matrix from Nutrition X, Unflavoured Whey from BulkPowders.co.uk

Casein Protein: Another type of protein found in milk. Casein is a much slower protein to absorb and so is useful to use either on its own as a pre-bed snack or blended with whey as a meal replacement e.g. ON casein, Casein from the Supplement Factory.

Creatine: a substance that is found naturally in the human body, and aids in supplying energy to cells. When taken in supplement form can increase the creatine content of muscle, allowing for greater protein synthesis in the cells, reduces muscle acidity (lactic acid build-up) and allows for a greater volume of exercise with less recovery time needed.

There are two types of creatine on the market: creatine monohydrate and creatine ethyl ester. The vast majority of the last ten years’ worth of creatine studies have been done with creatine monohydrate and as a newcomer to the supplement scene CEE is yet to be fully tested in action.

e.g. creatine from BulkPowders.co.uk, Cell X or Creatine from Nutrition X, Cell or Creatine from the Supplement Factory.

Post-Workout Supplements: These will generally come in the form of carb-only or carb + protein. Following intense exercise the body’s stored energy (glycogen) will be diminished and consuming a PWO shake or drink will allow the body to replenish glycogen stores quickly and aid recovery. The presence of protein in the PWO supplement will also aid muscle repair and aid protein synthesis e.g. RAM from Nutrition X, Cell Mass from BSN, Recovery from the Supplement Factory.

rediculously basic post........if your going to teach somthing teach it all not half the subject.......do you even have the necessary qualifications to be giving this advice.......if not then as you are a mod and therfore recognised as a reliable source you should state that you have only learnt this from readin g a few other websites...................any 12 year old who fancies himself a bodybuilder would know this information.............

for example................
    when talking about protein it is necessary to explain about bcaa,s. and glutamine.
    also different age brackets and different goals require different supplements..........
    and if your going to start a thread about supplements its ludicus not to mention multi vitamin/minerals

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭denballs

lmao........to build muscle you use high reps.low reps are for increasing strength.........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Devil08

denballs wrote: »
    lmao........to build muscle you use high reps.low reps are for increasing strength.........

high reps for toning...low reps for strength...medium reps i.e 8-10 for building muscle

5-8 reps - strength
    8-10 reps - build
    10-16 reps - tone

Anybody been using CR2 capsules? been using them about 6 months now and think they are about average - some days i find i can lift a lot more than i should be able to! some days i still struggle - also using optimum nutrution 100% whey protein - choc mint flavour! wow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

rediculously basic post........if your going to teach somthing teach it all not half the subject.......do you even have the necessary qualifications to be giving this advice.......if not then as you are a mod and therfore recognised as a reliable source you should state that you have only learnt this from readin g a few other websites...................any 12 year old who fancies himself a bodybuilder would know this information.............

for example................
    when talking about protein it is necessary to explain about bcaa,s. and glutamine.
    also different age brackets and different goals require different supplements..........
    and if your going to start a thread about supplements its ludicus not to mention multi vitamin/minerals
    lol
    lol
    Devil08 wrote: »
    high reps for toning...low reps for strength...medium reps i.e 8-10 for building muscle

5-8 reps - strength
    8-10 reps - build
    10-16 reps - tone
    lol

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Whey and Vitiman supplements are always in my cupbord, an essential part of any fitness loving persons diet.

I see parsely seems to be a genius but doesnt want to share any of his wisdom with us...whats so funny about the above???

• Advertisement

Well stop the press!!

I always knew Ronnie Coleman and Arnie were full of it....either that or your wrong....:confused::confused::confused:

Advertisement