Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supplements

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Dr Nic

Whats the feeling on the quality of myproteins Impact Whey Protein - Undenatured Whey Protein Concentrate?

I've had the 5kilo bag 3 times already and its fine.
    I'd just like to know what you all think of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Limousine Fred

Hey Dr Nic!

Don't like the Impact Whey meself.

Compared to USN Whey or ON Gold Standard it's ****e but that's just my opinion I'm sure others disagree.

They just put the price up from E48 (last time I got it) to E62 for 5kg and considering ON Whey is E77 for 5kg's I'd rather pay the extra for quality!!

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭boomtown84

Hey Dr Nic!

Don't like the Impact Whey meself.

Compared to USN Whey or ON Gold Standard it's ****e but that's just my opinion I'm sure others disagree.

They just put the price up from E48 (last time I got it) to E62 for 5kg and considering ON Whey is E77 for 5kg's I'd rather pay the extra for quality!!

what site are ya getting those prices from? 77 is good value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Dr Nic

I just got 5kg for 48euro off myprotein.

Do you mean its sh1te in terms of its bio profile, or its taste?
    Im only interested in bio profile...
    Thanks!

boomtown84 wrote: »
    what site are ya getting those prices from? 77 is good value.
    Hey dude here's the link!

http://www.fitnesssupplementsvitamins.ie/Products/Optimum-Nutrition/Whey-Protein-Gold-Standard-5lb
    It's actually gone up E10 must of just been doing a special sorry!

• Advertisement

Dr Nic wrote: »
    I just got 5kg for 48euro off myprotein.

Do you mean its sh1te in terms of its bio profile, or its taste?
    Im only interested in bio profile...
    Thanks!
    If you search for whey protein on the site, then check the price from the drop down list of all their whey, impact is E62 but if you click on impact whey the price changes to E48 odd!

I got 5kg's of unflavoured so it tastes like $hite can't comment on any other flavour.

Compared to gold standard which has glutamine and bcaa's I don't get the same gains from using MP impact whey as a stand alone supplement it has a good bio profile so maybe $hite is a bit harsh I just rather USN or ON whey.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Creatine

Recently started using mono creatine again (since new year really). In last two weeks or so I've found myself quite thirsty a lot of the time. However, when going to the bathroom my urine will often be quite pale. I would say I'm usually quite good for drinking enough liquids during the day (during the week anyway). This didn't happen when I lasted used mono (when I swtiched from using CEE to mono).

I know creatine sucks water into muscle but not sure if I should still be going to bathroom. Is this common for creatine or is this something more I should look into?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

well lads,wondering if ye could give me advice on what supplements to take,i go to the gym 3 times a week for weight training and football training 3 times a week also,with a match at weekends,thanks for any advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Straycat

hi, ive done a search and nothing has come up but im wondering does anyone know if DHEA supplements are available OTC in ireland? im nearly certain they are not, im going to be prescribed them shortly and i dont know if the clinic im with source them or they will be sourced in the chemist as a script, or if i can get them in a suplement shop. anyone any idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

DHEA is not OTC in Ireland as are a lot of products.

• Advertisement

anplaya wrote: »
    well lads,wondering if ye could give me advice on what supplements to take,i go to the gym 3 times a week for weight training and football training 3 times a week also,with a match at weekends,thanks for any advice.

Looking to gain weight/muscle or maintain current weight with more energy?

Either way a good whey protein and a decent carb source would be a great start.

The carb drink can and should be taken pre/during/after each workout. Mix up say a litre and a half and have half before, half during etc.

It should help your sessions and recovery.

Sangre wrote: »
    Creatine

Recently started using mono creatine again (since new year really). In last two weeks or so I've found myself quite thirsty a lot of the time. However, when going to the bathroom my urine will often be quite pale. I would say I'm usually quite good for drinking enough liquids during the day (during the week anyway). This didn't happen when I lasted used mono (when I swtiched from using CEE to mono).

I know creatine sucks water into muscle but not sure if I should still be going to bathroom. Is this common for creatine or is this something more I should look into?

How do you take your creatine and when? When I use creatine I always mix it in a small amount of water but then make sure to drink half a litre of water/cordial afterwards.

I can't answer you on the thirst but hopefully it could be something simple like a more active lifestyle plus the creatine which has dramatically increased your need for water?

Try increasing the water consumption especially around the time you take the creatine and see what happens.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭markc91

Hi all im a 19 year old male who just joined total fitness and went for my first assesment today. I play football and keep fit and im looking to get fitter and tone up for my holidays in the summer . The trainer had me doing sets on my Shoulders,Biceps,Triceps,Chest and Abs. Im feeling sore after it . I asjed him about Protein shakes as some of my friends that use the gym also take them and he said i should look at a supplement with a high protein , low carb for toning. Im just wondering which 1 to go for and should I start taking them??

What he means Mark is to get a Whey Protein Powder. There are lots on the market and one with 70% + in the tub is more than sufficeint for your needs.

However it is important to stress that protein on it's own is not the goal many lads up their protein intake but then eat less elsewhere so they get more protein but the same overall or even less calories per day. They are then surprised that they are not gaining weight.

Up the protein but keep up or increase as well your good sources of carbs - I'd even suggest a meal replacement or high protein weight gainer could work well for you.

markc91 wrote: »
    Hi all im a 19 year old male who just joined total fitness and went for my first assesment today. I play football and keep fit and im looking to get fitter and tone up for my holidays in the summer . The trainer had me doing sets on my Shoulders,Biceps,Triceps,Chest and Abs. Im feeling sore after it . I asjed him about Protein shakes as some of my friends that use the gym also take them and he said i should look at a supplement with a high protein , low carb for toning. Im just wondering which 1 to go for and should I start taking them??
    Hey Mark!

Try these guys they can give you advice aswell http://www.fitnesssupplementsvitamins.ie/

Or if you want a cheaper option try http://www.myprotein.com/ie/pages/home

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭ltdslipdiff

Sorry to hi-jack the tread lads, but in a bit of a dilema ! I have been using Supplement Factory own brand Whey Protein for the last while, but its no longer available on their site ! Does anyone know if they'll be re-stocking it ? Cheers

Right now I cannot get the website to load in either IE, FF, GC.

Did you try emailing them mate for an update on the whey etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Hey guys, what's the difference between the whey protein that each company sells? If it's just the taste I'd rather just go for the cheapest in h&b. Is there much difference in results?

Have the H+B stuff in the press..unused ! tried it once as I got it during a sale and went straight back to the Supplement factory Whey. Its all a matter of taste and opinion of course...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

The Guvnor wrote: »
    How do you take your creatine and when? When I use creatine I always mix it in a small amount of water but then make sure to drink half a litre of water/cordial afterwards.

I can't answer you on the thirst but hopefully it could be something simple like a more active lifestyle plus the creatine which has dramatically increased your need for water?

Try increasing the water consumption especially around the time you take the creatine and see what happens.

Best of luck.

Take it in the evenings with a PWO shake. Then usually drink at least 40cl in the next half hour.

Thirst is still there but not as noticeable. Strange, as I wouldn't say my lifestyle is any more active than before.

I just thought it was odd as I usually drink a lot of water during the day and would never find myself thirsty, in fact, its usually the opposite and I have to stop drinking because I'm over hydrated. Going to try keep up lots of water and see how it goes.

The Guvnor wrote: »
    Did you try emailing them mate for an update on the whey etc?

I did a few days ago...waiting on reply.....

Sangre wrote: »
    Take it in the evenings with a PWO shake. Then usually drink at least 40cl in the next half hour.

Thirst is still there but not as noticeable. Strange, as I wouldn't say my lifestyle is any more active than before.

I just thought it was odd as I usually drink a lot of water during the day and would never find myself thirsty, in fact, its usually the opposite and I have to stop drinking because I'm over hydrated. Going to try keep up lots of water and see how it goes.

It's a great sign that an increase in h20 decreases your thirst. Perhaps try taking the CM earlier in the day and see if that makes any difference to you.

For obvious reasons it's a pain to drink too much late at night.

Keep us updated Sangre!

GiftofGab wrote: »
    Hey guys, what's the difference between the whey protein that each company sells? If it's just the taste I'd rather just go for the cheapest in h&b. Is there much difference in results?

There can a large difference but the basic differences can be classified as:

1. Difference in % of protein
    2. Difference in Taste/Flavouring
    3. Difference due to single source of protein or a blend.
    Your best bet IMO is to get some samples if available and try them and make a larger pack purchase based on the samples received.

I did a few days ago...waiting on reply.....

Their website is back up but their brand of whey is not currently on the site.

There are other brands of whey there though.

Karlati wrote: »
    Expensive rubbish that is a waste of money. All Whey protien is basically milk powder. It the stuff left over from making cheese...
    Anyway a balanced diet will give you all the protien you need. Even vegetarians when they combine the right foods can get more than the recommended amount of protein per day. Don't waste money on these over-rated supplements.. your body, or that of a body builder only need up to 50-60 grams of protein a day. What happens to the excess?? Well it just becomes acidic, after all thats what amino acids are, acids.. How does your body neutralize this acid, Calcium.. As the Calcium from cows milk is no good for the human body, your body strips it from you own bones, neutralizes the acidic protein and you pee it out..
    Why do you think the western world has not only the highest rates of bone fractures but also oseteoposis? Too much protein..
    Not to mention the problems with your kidneys etc.. Mate, does yourself a favour and eat a balanced diet of carbs, protein and good fats.
    Save you money supplements like protein powders are not worth it... ;)

So wise!
    just to clarify...60 grams is the max right?....any more than that and my body will start eating away at my bones and my kidneys.
    thank god you came in here and set me straight!

I'm a nutrition consultant/therapist
    I do personal training

Serious?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

At first I thought what an absolute crock of sh!te. But then I saw that he was a PT and nutrition consultant. So he must know what he's talking about right?

Here was me thinking that as an athlete I might need potentially need to be taking over 60g of protein per day sustain self and aid in recovery. Thanks for putting us straight karlati. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭eoin2nc

Hey, been lurking around for a while, but need to ask a few questions. I knwo this has been done to death but I cant find exact exact info i need. Basicly Ive started tryin to lose weight, been succesful so far, almost 2 stone gone. I haven used any supplements, but now it seems my progress has slowed right down, and was wondering if anyone could recommend me a good fat burner that might give me a little extra help? Or maybe I should try a meal subsitute? cheers ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭rocky

How does your body neutralize this acid, Calcium.. As the Calcium from cows milk is no good for the human body, your body strips it from you own bones, neutralizes the acidic protein and you pee it out..

Myth: 'excess' protein leaks calcium from bones and leads to osteoporosis

Fact: There is some increased urinary calcium with extra dietary protein, but the evidence shows that this comes from more calcium being absorbed from the gut, and not from the bone.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20717017
    RECENT FINDINGS: Increased potential renal acid load resulting from a high protein (intake above the current Recommended Dietary Allowance of 0.8 g protein/kg body weight) intake has been closely associated with increased urinary calcium excretion. However, recent findings do not support the assumption that bone is lost to provide the extra calcium found in urine. Neither whole body calcium balance is, nor are bone status indicators, negatively affected by the increased acid load. Contrary to the supposed detrimental effect of protein, the majority of epidemiological studies have shown that long-term high-protein intake increases bone mineral density and reduces bone fracture incidence. The beneficial effects of protein such as increasing intestinal calcium absorption and circulating IGF-I whereas lowering serum parathyroid hormone sufficiently offset any negative effects of the acid load of protein on bone health.

SUMMARY: On the basis of recent findings, consuming protein (including that from meat) higher than current Recommended Dietary Allowance for protein is beneficial to calcium utilization and bone health, especially in the elderly. A high-protein diet with adequate calcium and fruits and vegetables is important for bone health and osteoporosis prevention.

Advertisement