Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supplements

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭rocky

Karlati wrote: »
    Hey 'eoin2nc'

You will notice a 'slow-down' in the amount of weight you loose, but this is natural. Your body will naturally try and reserve fat stores as they get lower.
    what's this, 'starvation mode'?
    Fat has more energy than say carbs and protein and is the bodies prefered source of energy.

Is this why we've developed ways to create glucose from protein, why we have glucose stored as glycogen in the liver and muscles to maintain blood glucose in a narrow range, and any fatty deposits in liver and muscles are evidence of disease?
    Plus if you are exercising you could be slowly building muscle and muscle is heavier than fat. So if you are weighing yourself you may not see such a big drop.

I'm not even going there...
    Just keep in mind that 'Healthy eating is the key..' Nothing beats unprocessed foods.

When losing fat, healthy eating is not the key - you can get fat on a healthy diet. Keeping calories at a deficit is the key. Note I'm not advocating eating crap 100%, it's just that calories at a deficit is more important than healthy eating if your primary goal is losing fat. Health markers improve more with losing the extra weight (by whatever means, even eating crap - that I'm not recommending), than by not losing the extra weight and eating healthy. It's a matter of priorities.

You are providing some great material for the Myths thread http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056180987

Karlati wrote: »
    Yes I see what you are saying and it has been the topic of controversy for many years. I also notice that that study was done by the US Agriculture Dept.. Protecting it's investment maybe..

But the evidence is there. The countries with the highest rates of Osteoporosis in the western world are those with the highest consumption of protein.

Fact: Protein becomes acidic in the body. Calcium is the buffer for this acid. If you lack the calcium from diet where else does the body take it from? The bones. There would be insufficent calcium in the gut to cope with the excess amounts of protein in the western diet, hence the high rates of Osteporosis.

In anycase excess protein is not good, not only for the bones but the kidneys. Thanks for the input though, it's always goo to get some feedback. :)

https://www.msu.edu/~corcora5/food/vegan/calcium+protein.html

I don't think the SAD western diet is a high protein one, not sure where you got this idea? from vegan materials maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

This thread is a sticky on Supplements.

If you want to have a discussion on the merits or otherwise of supplements - would it not be better to start a fresh thread rather than taking up page space on an already very big thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Mauricmo

Gave Dorian Yates Nox Pump a go yesterday, there is no doubting the stuff really works! Maybe a little too well because I was feeling the effects long after I left the gym.

I didnt notice a difference in max strength but my energy levels were way up, I was able to get 2 reps out of my max bench instead of the usual 1. Also between sets I found myself doing pullups rather than just resting!

However I'm not sure i would start using it regurlary, as while none of the after effects were severe at all, it was enough to make me a little concerned- kind of a high feeling for a while, followed by a crash. The side effects were expected and minimal.

On the plus side the "pump" my muscles got was fantastic. I may invest in some to use maybe once or twice a week as I really want to see how my deadlift and squat are affected.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭ltdslipdiff

I posted similar effects to you not so long ago Mauricmo ! I still have a box full of satchels in the press that I don't intend using. You're welcome to purchase them if you like? Have to agree the effects are simply astounding, but felt a serious come-down afterwards! Baffles me how its legal.....Tastes like ditch water too ! Using Jack3d as a pump at the mo, not as peaky or as wild as Mr Yates stuff !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Mauricmo

I posted similar effects to you not so long ago Mauricmo ! I still have a box full of satchels in the press that I don't intend using. You're welcome to purchase them if you like? Have to agree the effects are simply astounding, but felt a serious come-down afterwards! Baffles me how its legal.....Tastes like ditch water too ! Using Jack3d as a pump at the mo, not as peaky or as wild as Mr Yates stuff !

thanks for the offer, but I think ill give the stuff a miss for a while anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭MaxPower89

I have been using creatine tablets but recently have got some of the powder creatine mono. I dont have a clue how much to use though, no measuring spoon was given.

The directions given were:
    "Add one and a half MP small scoops (5g) to water....

Can anyone help me here? What is a MP small scoop? About a level teaspoon twice daily??

Its the creatine mono from myprotein if anyone else has the same.

Im 6' 3 and 92 kgs, but not sure if this has much bearing on how much to use.

Cheers.

1 level teaspoon once daily, not twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

MaxPower89 wrote: »
    I have been using creatine tablets but recently have got some of the powder creatine mono. I dont have a clue how much to use though, no measuring spoon was given.

The directions given were:
    "Add one and a half MP small scoops (5g) to water....

Can anyone help me here? What is a MP small scoop? About a level teaspoon twice daily??

Its the creatine mono from myprotein if anyone else has the same.

Im 6' 3 and 92 kgs, but not sure if this has much bearing on how much to use.

Cheers.

Sounds like MP could stand for myprotein. Did you buy off them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

The Guvnor wrote: »
    Looking to gain weight/muscle or maintain current weight with more energy?

Either way a good whey protein and a decent carb source would be a great start.

The carb drink can and should be taken pre/during/after each workout. Mix up say a litre and a half and have half before, half during etc.

It should help your sessions and recovery.

thanks for getting back to me,funnily enough,im not looking to gain weight ,am heavy enough as it is lol happy with my shape etc,i actually have quite a good recovery time say for example i could be training from half 6 to half 8 on a tues and id be in the gym lifting in the morning no bother. i dont take any supplements at the moment i just have a decent diet with a cheat day on a saturday or friday depending if i have a match sat/sun.just wondering if theres anything more i can do.

• Advertisement

It seems like you have the bases covered pretty well mate.

I would still get a good carb powder - be it maltodextrin, waxy maize etc.

How much to mix up with your 1.5 litres of water and robinsons squash?

I would do something in the order of 150-200 grams. Good news is carb powders are not expensive and even at these levels a months supply would be €15 per month give or take.

You'll defo notice a difference. I vaguely remember back in 2003 doing this and seriously the difference in the workouts was immense. We actually did the malto with 750ml lucozade sport and 750mls water and it was great.

Just one thing - be sure on your ratios before doing this on match day - last thing you want is a heavy feeling in the gut etc. You should not get this if there is enough liquid.

You would also benefit probably from a post workout shake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Anyone have tips on grinding up oats for use in a shake?

Thanks.

It is possible to buy milled oats which should mix in an ordinary protein shaker as they are very fine.

If you wish to mix your breakfast porridge oats then you could just use a food blender - anything with a blade will grind them right up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

The Guvnor wrote: »
    It seems like you have the bases covered pretty well mate.

I would still get a good carb powder - be it maltodextrin, waxy maize etc.

How much to mix up with your 1.5 litres of water and robinsons squash?

I would do something in the order of 150-200 grams. Good news is carb powders are not expensive and even at these levels a months supply would be €15 per month give or take.

You'll defo notice a difference. I vaguely remember back in 2003 doing this and seriously the difference in the workouts was immense. We actually did the malto with 750ml lucozade sport and 750mls water and it was great.

Just one thing - be sure on your ratios before doing this on match day - last thing you want is a heavy feeling in the gut etc. You should not get this if there is enough liquid.

You would also benefit probably from a post workout shake.

sound for that ill take a look on saturday so

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭john_cappa

argos have USN igf1 on sale. Prettu much one of the best blends on the market.

32.39euro! A steal!

Fill yer boots!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

john_cappa wrote: »
    argos have USN igf1 on sale. Prettu much one of the best blends on the market.

32.39euro! A steal!

Fill yer boots!

71% isolate and concentrate blend? Hardly ground breaking.

Decent value tho. Was going to order protein this week, may just grab a tub of that in Argos instead.

Decent range of proteins though! Whey Protein Isolate (WPI) & Whey Protein Concentrate Blend, Micellar Casein, Calcium Caseinate, Egg Albumin & Soy Protein Isolate.

There are not much better on the market IMO.

Tastes lovely also!

Hanley wrote: »
    71% isolate and concentrate blend? Hardly ground breaking.

Decent value tho. Was going to order protein this week, may just grab a tub of that in Argos instead.

Might grab a tub of this to try out too...

http://www.usnireland.ie/acatalog/muscle-fuel-anabolic.html

john_cappa wrote: »
    Decent range of proteins though! Whey Protein Isolate (WPI) & Whey Protein Concentrate Blend, Micellar Casein, Calcium Caseinate, Egg Albumin & Soy Protein Isolate.

There are not much better on the market IMO.

Tastes lovely also!

Which is nicer, chocolate or strawberry?

Which is nicer, chocolate or strawberry?

I have strawberry cream and chocolate cream. Both are lovely.

Not sure if chocolate or strawberry represent the same flavours! Either way i am sure they taste good!

• Advertisement

Damn...hadnt seen that.....had to buy!

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭bret69

Which is beeter to take or is there one better than the other?

I've been told Isolate is better but looking at the ingredients, I'm not so sure, as there is more carbs and calories per serving in the isolate

For example, which is the best to buy between both of these?

http://www.hollandandbarrett.ie/pages/product_detail.asp?pid=100&prodid=2914

http://www.hollandandbarrett.ie/pages/product_detail.asp?pid=3415&prodid=2990

None left in Stephen's Green anymore :p

Chocolate Creme's decent enough. I'm just taking it pre-workout to have some kcals in me cos I'm pretty much going from work straight to training. Didn't "notice" anything from it, but I wouldn't notice anything from a sandwich either.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 gerryatric

Sigh waiting over 2 weeks for my order from bodybuilding.com

In the future if I am looking for a quicker option what would be the best supplier?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,346 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

bret69 wrote: »
    Which is beeter to take or is there one better than the other?

I've been told Isolate is better but looking at the ingredients, I'm not so sure, as there is more carbs and calories per serving in the isolate
    Not in isolate there isn't. The problem is that what you are lookign at isn't isolate.
    The first one is a protein blend, so its a mix of hydro-whey, concentrate and isolate.

The second one is called ultra-isolate, but look at the ingredients. It's Whey isolate plus a heap of none protein ingredients.
    Whey Protein Isolate, Maltodextrin, Vitamin and Mineral Blend (Dipotassium Phosphate, Potassium Chloride, Dicalcium Phosphate, Dimagnesium Phosphate, Magnesium Oxide, Sodium Chloride, Vitamin C (as Ascorbic Acid and Sodium Ascorbate), Vitamin E (as dl-Alpha Tocopheryl Acetate and dl-Alpha Tocpherol), Ferrous Sulphate, Magnesium Chloride, Niacin (as Niacinamide), Calcium Sulphate, Zinc Oxide, Sodium RNA, Cupric Gluconate, Sodium Borate, Manganese Sulphate, Pantothenic Acid (as d-Calcium Pantothenate), Beta Carotene, Thiamin Hydrochloride (Vitamin B1), Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Vitamin B6 (as Pyridoxine Hydrochloride), Biotin (as d-Biotin), Folic Acid, Vitamin A (as Retinyl Palmitate), Chromium Chloride, Sodium Molybdate, Potassium Iodide, Sodium Selenate, Vitamin D3, Vitamin B12 (as Cyanocobalamin)], Starch, Bulking Agent (Xanthan Gum), Flavourings, Emulsifiers (Soya Lecithin, Acacia Gum), Beet Juice Powder, L-Glutamine, Taurine, Malic Acid, Sweetener (Sucralose), Lactic Acid, Glycine, Gelatine, Sucrose, Citric Acid, Coconut Oil, Anti-Caking Agent (Silicon Dioxide), Sorbic Acid, Mono & Diglycerides, Preservative (Sodium Benzoate), Rice Protein Hydrolysates, Medium Chain Triglycerides, Antioxidant (Butylated Hydroxytoluene).

The difference between actual isolate, concentrate and blends is tiny.
    Isolate is basically made version of whey concentrate with most of the carbs and fats gone. But the amounts aren't huge to start with, and the 2grams or so or carbs and fats in a serving of concentrate is not the issue in your diet. You are getting way way more than this from the fruit, veg, meat you eat even with the cleanest diet.

Here's some links to better products, check out the details bottom right.
    Now check the price difference.
    Impact Whey Isolate
    Impact whey concentrate
    Impact Blend

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭blsw

what is the best multivitamin on the market. ive heard that ones containing magnesium and zinc oxides should be avoided

is the recommended dose sufficent for weight trainers or should the dose be increased on days that you train.

if it is not sufficent are other supps like magnesium+zinc,vitamins b and d and the omegas required along with the multi vit

does adding other supplements throw off the balance between the various minerals and vitamins and affect how they work

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭xgtdec

I like Animal Pak, i cant tell you if its the best, its just the one i like and use

• Registered Users Posts: 39,346 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Depending on what you got, it might be blocked by customs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Mandous

I have no experience about the multivitamin supplement, i am also looking
    for the guidance. can these multivitamin supplement help me in bodybuilding
    and muscle strength.

baltimore personal trainer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭blsw

bump.

surely the regulars on here have a favourite multivitamin supplement

Advertisement