Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killed for not being good enough

Options
  • 11-09-2006 8:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭

As all of you probaby know but don't really want to talk about, thousands of greayhounds are killed each year because they are no longer economically useful to their owners and trainers i.e. they don't win any races. The method is usually a bullet to the head.

I was in the company of a greyhound owner the other day and he was quite nonchalant about the whole thing. "Happens every day he said, thousands a year - it's just the way it is."

Here's an article from earlier in the year.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2087-2291734_1,00.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭fasterkitten

would they have been bred at all if it wasn't for the greyhound industry???

• Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

I think the real question is...are they delicious?
    [EDIT]
    72 hour ban - Agent Smith

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

personally, its the only thing i hate about this sport.

The Bullet in the Head is a Tad mellodramatc,I am not denying it never happens, but i've yet to see or hear of anyone who's put a bullet in a dogs head. The Standard (in ireland anyway,) is By Injection.

i've 5 greyhounds as pets. I never could stand to see animals Put down, unless the Dog is in Great pain. We keep them with our breeder, who, like us, refuses to put a Healthy dog down.

here is a Link about addopting greyhounds, for people who are interested...

http://www.irishanimals.com/greyhounds/index.html

Joe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Redlancer

I have had two greyhounds who are now pets. Yes this does happen and I think the problem is not just a greyhound problem but any dog as many are left homless each year.

I think the most sicking reality this year was seen a greyhound with its ears cut off so as it could not be identified and left abandoned. I think some sort of measures have to be put in place where either the owner or trainers are held responsible for the after racing life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

The chap that I was talking to told me that he was present when a dog was shot in the head. Something that I can't get my head around is how these trainers, who must develop some kind of a relationship with these animals can then callously end their lives, seemingly without batting an eye lid.

Out of all the sports out there, I think this one is the one that is hiding the hiding the darkest secrets.

• Advertisement

fade2black wrote:
    Out of all the sports out there, I think this one is the one that is hiding the hiding the darkest secrets.

I follow the dogs & horse racing and in my opinion horse racing would have alot more ills than dog racing. Having said this what happens after a dogs racing life is in most cases a dark secret. Some trainers would not build up any relationship with there dogs as they could have in excess of 50 dogs. This is why I keep mine with a local trainer who only trains for people he knows well, due to his small stock of dogs they definitely get more attention weather a fast tracker or not and all have a home afterwards as all owners in his yard are dog lovers

There is an over breeding problem though which needs to be addressed

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭sundula

The facts are that this does happen but the scale of it is debateable. The majority of people in dog and horse racing are animal lovers and would put down an animal in pain or exceptionally poor health. Same as farmers with sick or seriously injured stock unfortunatley these can tarnish the greyhound industry and in my opnion are released for this reason. The facts are the penalties for animal abuse are far to soft and thats why we have animal beating, battery cage breeding, dog fight etc etc etc.

Stricter penalities are required.

I dont know if this link is revelant but
    http://www.abhailegreyhounds.com/index.html
    was set up to find homes for greyhounds when there racing days are over.

Advertisement