Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do they know....

Options
  • 11-09-2006 8:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭

If you have a TV or not - obviously without coming in to check? Can 'they' get ur details from NTL/Sky etc? I was amazed when someone in work said they have never had a tv licence - not that i agree with having to pay it either. A friend said before they come around with these hand held device things that picks up a signal or something, is this true??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Captain Trips

I wonder the same thing. Like, I thought it detects say radiation or something from CRT tubes, but what if it's a big computer monitor?

And LCD? How would they know that? Thye don't have radiation emission at all I think like CRT tubes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

http://www.tvlicensing.biz/detection/index.htm explains it.

There is a signal generator in the TV that is used for processing of the incoming channel, calibrating screen updates etc. Some of this signal leaks, and is mixed with the incoming signal.
    They can actually tell what channel frequency you are watching by simple math.

In the UK, you have to provide proof of address when buying a TV (to add to the list) and disposing of one (reducing the list by one - this also helps with recycling!) . They have a count of how many TVs are in a given household then.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Sky, NTL etc are obliged to pass on their customers details to the licence inspectors. It only came into law in the last year or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

Is a tv licence per household or per set?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

gillo wrote:
    Sky, NTL etc are obliged to pass on their customers details to the licence inspectors. It only came into law in the last year or so.

What about data protection?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

gillo wrote:
    Sky, NTL etc are obliged to pass on their customers details to the licence inspectors.

How can Sky be forced to hand over details - they are a UK based company?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭BC

gillo wrote:

Where did you get this info from?
    I would be very surprised if its true. As someone else said he contravenes the data protection act unless all customers were asked by NTL if its okay to pass the data to the tv licence inspectors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭The Doktor

All they do is look at their data base of addresses who dont have tv licenses. And call to them.

I had house a couple of years ago, they never came near me until the old owner changed his license to be at his new address. They look at my address, see there is no tv license associated with it, and pay me a visit.

It has nothing to do with Sky or NTL or chorus, etc. And when a tv is sold, the person who buys it doesnt have his name and address sent on to An Post.
    If a shop takes that info, its only for their own records.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭gerryo

The Doktor wrote:
    If a shop takes that info, its only for their own records.

I think shops used to send info on set purchasers to the Post Office (years ago, maybe not now).

Anyway, you are correct, it's all done by addresses now, so you have letters sent out to any place with a postal address that does not have a licence on file.

This can be very upsetting for people who don't have a TV, they have to more or less prove this by allowing a TV inspector into their homes.

Gardai can't call to your door asking if you have a gun & insist you let them in just because you don't have a current gun licence ( at least not without a valid search warrant).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

tom dunne wrote:

They have to be licensed by the Dept of Communications in Ireland. That's how.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Paulw wrote:
    They have to be licensed by the Dept of Communications in Ireland. That's how.

But they cant hand over info about me unless I saw so.

And as has been pointed out the check up on you from their database of addresses

kearnsr wrote:
    But they cant hand over info about me unless I saw so.

They can and must do, if required by law. There may be a clause in their license which requires them to hand over customer details.

Paulw wrote:
    They can and must do, if required by law. There may be a clause in their license which requires them to hand over customer details.

The whole idea of the data protection law was to prevent stuff like this happening. Or at least thats what I thought.

No, the law is to stop data being passed to 3rd party companies (like bulk mail companies, advertising companies etc). It is also to stop internal misuse of data.

It is in no way there to stop a company from giving your details to the govt, especially if part of their legal requirements is for them to provide the details.

The only information that is totally protected and that can't be legally passed to the govt is the census information.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,793 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

there is a statutory enactment and so data protection provisions do not apply. (Section 8(e) of the 1988 Act)

It is not correct to say that census information is the only information totally protected. And in fact, the government has disclosed census information about living people to the public in the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Smythy1987

We had a small tv wen we started leasing the place we are in now. We've recieved several letters and now we have got a 'notice of legal proceedings' letter.. We got rid of our tv months ago and dont want to pay this bill. Is there anything we can do, or are we in trouble?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Smythy1987 wrote:
    We had a small tv wen we started leasing the place we are in now. We've recieved several letters and now we have got a 'notice of legal proceedings' letter.. We got rid of our tv months ago and dont want to pay this bill. Is there anything we can do, or are we in trouble?

they send those letters to ever address without a licenses... as long as they haven't called to you door and seen a tv nothing will happen...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

tom dunne wrote:

So any other UK company in Ireland isn;t bound by Irish Law? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Hehe I remember one of my neighbours had the tv licence chap call to their door. The person at the door stalled them while we lifted the tv they had into my back garden :D. Funny as hell. They only had the tv for 3 days and none before that. Efficient billing...

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Paulw wrote:

The only information that is totally protected and that can't be legally passed to the govt is the census information.

Not quite. All data gathered under the Statistics Act 1993 are confidential and can't be passed on in an indentifiable form :

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/ZZA21Y1993S33.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement