Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What are the advantages of re-installing Windows on an old pc?

• 11-09-2006 9:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭

Right, I have a pc for four years and wondering if a Windows reinstallation would be in order. I haven't noticed any problems or decrease of speed when using the pc, but I'm just wondering would reinstalling Windows be worth doing seeing as I've been using the pc for years now and maybe it might be getting a bit rundown?

Would you think this would improve speed or the operations of the pc at all, or should I just forget about it and leave it alone?

Or would a disc defragment do just as good a job?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Well if its not broken, don't fix it. :) Normally people wipe their computers every once in a while if they install and uninstall a lot of programs, that leaves behind mess and clutter in the registry which can be a pain sometimes. Defragmenting can't hurt it also no harm in cleaning up the system registry. Give CCleaner a go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭SeanW

Better off just to defrag the HD.

People reinstall windows when the results of the addition and removal of programs, device drivers, viruses etc as well as normal use has led to the operating environment degenerating to the point where it's slower, more error prone, erratic etc. E.g. entropy.

It's when you actually notice that your machine isn't performing like it did when it came out of the factory that you'd normally reinstall windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭martinoc

By all means re-install. Over time, Windows gets bogged down. Installing and even removing software leaves registry entries and even dlls behind. Not to mention viruses and spyware (malware) that you may not even know you have!

If you plan to install Windows 2000 or XP, then by all means continue.
    If you plan to install Winsows 95/98/ME or anything older, that machine should not be near the internet. Those operating systems contain critical vulnerabilities that will never be fixed and will be subverted in minutes without you ever knowing. It could even start sending spam or attacking other computers at the bidding of some bot-master.

Save the defragmenting until after you have your system refreshed.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

martinoc wrote:
    If you plan to install Winsows 95/98/ME or anything older, that machine should not be near the internet. Those operating systems contain critical vulnerabilities that will never be fixed and will be subverted in minutes without you ever knowing.
    Windows 95 and NT4 can be setup without internet explorer, 98lite can remove much of IE from 98. choosing opera or firefox and the usual suite of zonealarm/avg/anti-malware would give a machine that's probably more internet proof than a bog standard XP SP2 install and certainly better than 2000 or XP without a firewall.

98 yeah it's flaky but if you use the ERU utility you can save a lot of pain and it's so forgiving if you swap the motherboard.

OK back on topic
    you usually reinherit settings when reinstalling, this means a reinstall won't solve some problems with settings. And you would have to reinstall drivers again - so make sure you have them handy. Also and this is a biggie, all the patches would have to be reapplied.

Windows 95 and NT4 can be setup without internet explorer, 98lite can remove much of IE from 98. choosing opera or firefox and the usual suite of zonealarm/avg/anti-malware would give a machine that's probably more internet proof than a bog standard XP SP2 install and certainly better than 2000 or XP without a firewall.
    I'm afraid that you are incorrect. Win 95/98/ME have a critical flaw that affects COM in Windows Explorer. Even if you use Firefox/ZoneAlarm/AVG you are at risk. This will not be fixed by Microsoft. More info here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

martinoc wrote:
    I'm afraid that you are incorrect. Win 95/98/ME have a critical flaw that affects COM in Windows Explorer. Even if you use Firefox/ZoneAlarm/AVG you are at risk. This will not be fixed by Microsoft. More info here.
    errr that page just says if you fw off the port you'll be fine..most restrictive firewalls(i.e. ZA) would block this by default.
    "We do strongly recommend that customers still using Microsoft Windows 98, Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition (SE), and Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition (ME) protect those systems by placing them behind a perimeter firewall which filters traffic on TCP Port 139 which will block attacks attempting to exploit this vulnerability."

True, but you need to be behind a hardware firewall, something which most home users are not, which is why I dont recommend the continued use of Windows 9X.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Pretty much anyone who has broadband these days has a NAT router, which will protect them from that. Its the poor saps who still dial up with no software firewall who are really at risk.

I don't recommend the continued use of Windows 9x because its sh1te.

That is kind of true. Some broadband providers do give NAT routers, but not all.
    If you are using xDSL services, then yes you are likely to have a NAT router. Others, such as wireless providers like Irish Broadband do not provide any router as their radios are ethernet based, and provide layer 2 connections to their high sites. My advice would be for the individual user to check that they have got a NAT as part of their package. You are correct also regarding users on dial up.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Using ANY version of windows without a firewall is a no-no.
    Windows XP SP2 firewall is better than none but won't warn you about ET phoning home

Yeah paying the extra shillings for a NAT router is a much better investment than paying for a software firewall in preference to a freebie software firewall.

• Advertisement
Advertisement