Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Belkin Router

Options
  • 11-09-2006 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭

Hi Folks

I have a belkin router which has 4 ports for wired computers and a wifi.

But I want to connect more them 4 wired computers to it.

How do I do that?

Any help PLEASE :eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

Generally considered bad practice but you can pick up an ethernet hub/repeater (not a switch) and plug it into one of the ports on the Belkin. You might need to do this with a cross-over cable because you're connecting one hub to another. But some hubs can do this automatically or they might have a dedicated uplink port.

Alternatively use wifi to connect your PCs to the network and just use the wired ports for printers, VOIP ATA, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

Q:Whats wrong with using a switch?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

A. You can use a switch. It would be preferable to use a switch no collisions etc....

:):)

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭defib

Ok I should add that this is for a office.

And I am new to networking.

Right now the cable for boardband is going into the belkin if run one of the ethernet pc cables from the belkin into a swith like below will that give internet access to all or is there a better way?

http://configure.euro.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?kc=305&oc=PC092224&sbc=pwcnt_2224&c=ie&l=en&s=bsd&cs=iebsdt1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

defib wrote:
    Ok I should add that this is for a office.

And I am new to networking.

Right now the cable for boardband is going into the belkin if run one of the ethernet pc cables from the belkin into a swith like below will that give internet access to all or is there a better way?

http://configure.euro.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?kc=305&oc=PC092224&sbc=pwcnt_2224&c=ie&l=en&s=bsd&cs=iebsdt1
    That'll work, but if you really need a 24 port switch, then it's unlikely that your broadband connection is going to work well for anyone. Not so much because of download constraints, but because 20 people will swamp the upload on any DSL connection, which will make it pretty useless for everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

Re: hub vs switch.

My understanding is that a switch operates at layer 2 and will only send frames to the port for which frame destination address == port's MAC address. So I just thought that this filtering would prevent some frames from getting to their destination. Unless the switch can associate more than one MAC address per port.

TBH I'm no great networking wiz so I just offered the hub/repater as the device for the job as it just broadcasts to all ports. But if a switch similarly has some kind of uplink port then that'd be better as they're more intelligent.

As Foxwood suggests if the network is going to grow you'll need more in the way of network management or it'll just turn into a free for all. Especially if you're sharing Internet traffic with typical LAN traffic. You should at least be looking around for something a bit more meatier than a Belkin. You might get away with your the proposed set up for now but you should keep an eye for something a bit more mature before trouble starts.

Hi Guys,

Ok so what do you suggest.

The network with not grow above 8 computers and then laptops on wifi and we have a super fast internet connection.

How should I set the network up?

defib wrote:
    The network with not grow above 8 computers and then laptops on wifi and we have a super fast internet connection.
    What exactly is a "super fast internet connection"?

The switch you pointed to will work fine.

Foxwood wrote:
    What exactly is a "super fast internet connection"?

The switch you pointed to will work fine.

1.3 megabits per second after going into the belkin router

defib wrote:
    1.3 megabits per second after going into the belkin router
    That's not a "super fast internet". FFS, BT give out 1 megabit per second connections for only a tenner when bundled with Line Rental.

It's not going to support 8 PC users plus a few wireless laptops, for anything more than very moderate surfing.

What will the users be trying to use this connection for?

• Advertisement

Ok, which way should I connect this up?

Modem - wifi router - switch?

Modem - switch - wifi router?

defib wrote:
    Modem - wifi router - switch

Advertisement