Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Concrete floor paint?

Options
  • 11-09-2006 10:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭

My shed is now finished and the concrete needs sealing before it gets covered with muck, I know you can get concrete floor paint but what is the best make?
    I wanted to paint the floor white for light but I can't find any concrete paint in white.
    Is it best to prime the concrete with a sealer before using the paint or do you just paint it straight on?
    I also want to grit the floor with sand after the first coat and before the second so that the floor isn't slippy when oil and stuff is spilt , I was thinking of using a bag of that dried kids play sand and just flinging it around once the first coat is halfway painted, (the shed is 30m2)
    Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

You can actually get a textured paint so that it will provide a non-slip finish. There is so many products out there at moment it is hard to say which is best. Some you can get in a latex/Acrylic finish(water based) and some in an oil based finish.To seal it though I would use polybond,mix up in bucket with water and roll the bugger on as much as you can.

The most important thing is to know that is there any dampness or patches in the concrete floor,because no matter what you do it will flake. I cant think off hand now the name of some of the paints I have used so Ill find out for you. But no matter it will probably need regular painting if there is going to be a lot of traffic.

But read this Link

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Probably won't be much traffic just me :)
    I have heard that PVA glue is a great sealant, maybe that would be a good start, just tip a great big dollop of PVA and spread it around to seal it?
    Maybe then I could use another type of paint that would be available in white?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Well mix it up with water(ratio of 4 water to 1 of polybond I think) so its like fairly pissy,get a roller and roller cage and a pole and just roll away,it will save you from an aching back also.Give floor a good sweep and maybe a hoover to before you seal it...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Thanks for the replies but the shed is built, painted and the shed is now full at this stage :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

nice one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Magown3

And what product did you use?

I'm thinking of doing this to my garage while it's empty!

Advertisement