Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fringe

Options
  • 11-09-2006 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭

I was at the fire installation which opened the fringe on Saturday night down on Georges Dock. It was beautiful. Really simple idea and so effective. Thousands of flower pots in sculptures on fire on the water. Magical. Anyone else seen anything worth going to?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Wannabe Deise

cue wrote:
    I was at the fire installation which opened the fringe on Saturday night down on Georges Dock. It was beautiful. Really simple idea and so effective. Thousands of flower pots in sculptures on fire on the water. Magical. Anyone else seen anything worth going to?

I just wrote a long reply and when I clicked insert hyperlink and allowed popup I lost it all. Very frustrating.

Summary:
    Fire show brilliant
    Disco Brazil crap
    "On this one night" good ideas but not recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭lukegriffen

poet no. 7 - worth a look but don't go out of your way to see it, 2 great characters in it, but overall a bit hard to follow

side effects - poor , bad script
    why men cheat - poor

unfortunate shooting... - completely absurd, but very funny in parts. Best i've seen so far

the bag @ filmbase - weird, but a good experience. There was only 2 of us at the show

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Experience is over now but got a brilliant review from the Irish Times- 4 stars!

[Note: IT = Irish Times; ITM = Irish Theatre Magazine http://www.irishtheatremagazine.ie/home/fringeRevLinks.htm ]

Given how late the reviews appeared last week I had to take a chance on Thursday.
    I went to "Absence and Presence". Some beautiful pieces in it and great ideas (especially the wire mesh "ghost" of the father) but as one critic said perhaps in parts too personal and obscure. He lost my attention in first half. 3 out of 5.

Saw “Gaumenkino” that evening. Just nonsense really. Amusing in places and I loved the bit with the action man type doll chatting up the actress on tv. Between them IT and ITM gave it 7 / 10 and audience gave them 3 rounds of applause the night I was there. I couldn't see why. i'd give it 2 out of 5.

With benefit of reviews I booked “Unfortunate machine gunning of Anwar Sadat” on Friday night, “Hairdresser in the House” on Saturday afternoon and “Dr Dillon and Ms Georgia” on Saturday night.

“Unfortunate machine-gunning …” was great. Well acted for most part and very funny. I am sure it will get another run later in year - if so, go see!

“Hairdresser in the House” was best thing I've seen so far. A charming and unusual experience. You just got a sense of how lovely a man Raymond Keane must be. This review from Edinburgh fringe captures it nicely:
    http://www.broadwaybaby.com/edinburgh/fringe/reviews/hairdresserinthehouse
    Highly recommended if they give it another run.

“Dr Dillon and Ms Georgia” - I was a bit wrecked going into this and found it hard to concentrate for first part. Second part was great and a brilliant performance throughout by the one man cast. Combined 8/10 from ITM and IT a bit generous in my view though.

One thing perhaps worth mentioning is that 3 of the shows I have seen have used TV as part of the work: “On this one night”, “Absence & Presence” and “Gaumenkino”. Whether coincidence or not the 3 shows I enjoyed most did not …

Tonight I am taking a chance on preview of "Every Day Above Ground" in Project and have booked tickets for “The Flowerbed” tomorrow night. Will wait for reviews before booking for Wednesday and Thursday. I have "Drive By" booked for Friday evening.
    Will definitely check out "It's an Audio De-tour" and hope to go to the Cake Cafe at some point.

As you might guess I love the fringe. Best thing in Dublin year-round in my opinion.

Yeah the fringe is great, I really want to go to Cake Café too at some point.

• Advertisement

speaking of late reviews, the sunday indo takes the biscuit. why bother wasting almost 1/2 page on reviewing shows which closed the day before.

I also went to Dr. dilllon, quite good. I'd give it 4 stars, 2 for being understandable & 2 for being not bad ! The actor was great at doing his Ian Curtis dancing.

Invertigo was crap. 2 people throwing themselves between peoples chairs, standing up & falling down again. So 5 stars on the artsy-fartsy scale.
    I'm going to Flowerbed tomorrow as well, i think this week will be better. There's quite a few on I'd like to see.

Cake Cafe isn't great to be honest, grand if you want a cup of tea, it's just guys messing about, blowing balloons and wearing clown noses etc.

Invertigo was crap. 2 people throwing themselves between peoples chairs, standing up & falling down again. So 5 stars on the artsy-fartsy scale.

and thats exactly what IT have given it this morning - 5 stars ... LOL
    thanks for the tip off

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭cue

Went to see the sabooge show in the project. I had been looking forward to them for a while and was disappointed. Good acting and set etc, but the story just didn't hold me.

agree with sabooge, set & lighting excellent (sabooge & 'the sewers' had the best sets of the shows I saw), but i found my mind wandering during sabooge.

There were some dodgy ratings during the fest, dedalus lounge got 5 stars so i went to it & it was brutal. There was nothing really great, or even quirky, the best thing i saw was The Flowerbed. John Moran was disappointing, great at times but overall not a good show.

2 I missed were "underneath the lintel" & "evils of tobacco", did anyone go see them ?
    Anyway, a weeks break before the main theatre festival, which this year looks really good.

I wish I'd gone to the Cake Café but I was lazy this year :(

• Advertisement

apparently The Sewers won best production

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 lucylia

I'm going to Flowerbed tomorrow as well, i think this week will be better. There's quite a few on I'd like to see.

ABSOLUTELY WRONG. INVERTIGO is one of the BEST performances I ever seen (and I have seen so much !!! I come from BERLIN where there are a lot to see from every kind). You might be the THE CRAP yourself; I do wonder how can you write such words about it. May be great people drives you jealous ! I hate your fascist terminology "on the artsy-fartsy scale". You remind me the NAZI talking about modern art as a decandence. Please "DON'T CRITICIZE WHAT YOU CANT UNDERSTAND" as said Bob D. Your words don't talk about this wonderful performance but about YOUR OWN LACK OF HUMANITY that makes you unable to receive the artists gift. So I am glad to copy below the IT review, I 10000000% agree with it:

INVERTIGO
    There is nothing more disconcerting than forced intimacy with strangers. INVERTIGO, performed by Frederic ETCHEVERRY and Gloria ARAS, is designed to break down the boundaries between strangers and the boundaries between passive audience member and active participant. Sitting on chairs angled so that eye contact with several other spectators is unavoidable, the strange and thrilling 45-minute performance is as much a journey for each individual in the room as it is for the lithe and intense dancers. As they writhe around on the floor beneath and between the chairs like torture victims, the audience's impulse to flee from embarrassment is gradually changed to a desire to comfort the two suffering performers who, like children, are reaching for something that they're not sure they want. At the end they sit down in their original positions like nothing has happened but everything has changed, and strangers now meet each others’ eyes like old friends. Weird. Terrifying. Brilliant.
    Sara HEATING

Advertisement