Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game series that you've lost faith in?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Most definitely GTA
    To go from the magnificence of Vice City to the all around "meh"ness of San An is just unforgivable.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

surprised nobody has mentioned the hiccup that was sonic the hedgehog's translation to 3d.

I actually loved Sonic adventure, and while sonic adventure 2 was enjoyable plot wise its gameplay was a massive step in the wrong direction.

Sonic Heroes continued the trend by overcomplicating a gamestyle that was celebrated for its ease. Though the return of metal sonic stopped me from giving up.

Then Shadow the Hedgehog hit, aweful plot, aweful gameplay and really really cheap. The game killed my support of the franchise.

Now the upcoming sonic ps3/360 looks like the same sh*t different engine, so not going to bother with it.

But someone somewhere had a bright idea and sonic and the secret of the ring might save the series.

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭cregser

Good topic. What does everyone think of the GC Mario Kart? I prefer the older ones.

I agree mostly with C&C after Tiberian Sun and aprés GTA3 (I've never been so amazed playing a game for the first time). PES has been slowed down by the PS2 (I predict a big leap for PES7).

Halo2 was a big let down for me. Also Tony Hawks has become a bit of a joke. The WWE games were fun even when the 'real' thing was crap but they all had the same bugs.

Series I'd most like to see extended:
    Warcraft (not the role playing version).
    Far Cry (made by CryTek)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Starcraft. I'm fed up waiting for a sequel!

I'm finding the unwillingness of GTA to evolve really off putting. It desperately needs a new engine. The combat overall is awful. The aiming is terrible and the AI just as bad. I'm surprised that another GTA wannabe hasn't overtaken the series since it can be improved in so many ways. Games like Gun have done combat so much better (but still not perfect).

Both HL games have cliched B movie sci-fi plots. What makes them excell is the way they are told, no cutscenes and therefore a lot more immersion into the world of the games. Still I wouldn't say I've lost fate in the series. HL1 was the better game but HL2 was a cracking FPS.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

Thanks Vegeta! You should give MGS3 a lash, I beat it in a weekend. But WHAT a weekend! And I replayed it again about a year later and loved every second of it all, it hadn't lost any of it's appeal.

BlitzKrieg, I totally agree with you about Sonic! I know many of us loved the old games, but since the transition to 3D, the games have gotten worse and worse! I enjoyed SA1 and 2, I thought Shadow (the character) was really cool. But my brief experience of Heroes put me off completely!

Driver 3 really did suck, I didn't bother playing a free demo of PL because I disliked 3 so much. I might dig it out sometime. But Ubisoft got the licence recently, didn't they? They could revitalise the series.

Retr0gamer, I haven't played any Suikoden games aside from 2. Are 3, 4 and 5 bad? They released a two-pack of 1 and 2 for PSP in Japan, that and MGS Portable Ops would make one worth a look!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Anything from Lucasarts. They used to be my favourites back in their graphic adventures/xwing/tie fighter days, then they just turned into a bunch of whores churning out crappy star wars game after crappy star wars game.

The Battlefield series also let me down. BF1942 was an excellent game. BF Vietnam was alright - i liked the music :). BF2 was initially interesting but ultimately sh1t, due to being inherently broken and then patched/expansion packed to death. The fact that there are so many complete ****tards playing it doesn't help either. The upcoming BF2142 just looks stupid to me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Mr. K wrote:
    Retr0gamer, I haven't played any Suikoden games aside from 2. Are 3, 4 and 5 bad? They released a two-pack of 1 and 2 for PSP in Japan, that and MGS Portable Ops would make one worth a look!

Suikoden 1+2 were fantastic, especially 2 which had such a fantastic, tragic and epic storyline. Suikoden 3 was rather good. It started extremely well but the ending didn't live up to the beginning. Major battles were a major letdown. Well worth playing but only available in America. Suikoden 4 was awful. Rubbish storyline, looked like a first gen PS2 game and had a really annoying random battle rate. I've had the PAL Suikoden 5 for the last 2 weeks (not out yet but I know someone in Konami) and haven't played yet. However I've been told it's excellent with a storyline rivalling Suikoden 2 despite a deliberately slow start. The reviews are about high 80's but people are saying it's getting underrated just like Suikoden 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

CiDeRmAn wrote:
    Love to see a return to the lovecraft stylee of the first quake, get away from the Aliens clone the series has become

I've been hoping for that since being impressed by the advances graphically in the series, but wanting to play the original Quake with good graphics! :D
    BlitzKrieg wrote:
    Now the upcoming sonic ps3/360 looks like the same sh*t different engine, so not going to bother with it.
    But someone somewhere had a bright idea and sonic and the secret of the ring might save the series.

Couldn't agree with you more, but Sonic Rush on the DS restored my faith in Sonic Team to be able to come up with the goods!
    cregser wrote:
    What does everyone think of the GC Mario Kart? I prefer the older ones.
    I enjoyed Double Dash, particularly 2-4 player races, and the hecticness of the battles in 4 player! Single player could have been better though. Mario Kart DS is a real return to form though, my favourite Mario Kart by far! :)
    Stephen wrote:
    Anything from Lucasarts. They used to be my favourites back in their graphic adventures/xwing/tie fighter days, then they just turned into a bunch of whores churning out crappy star wars game after crappy star wars game.
    Much like LucasFilm then! :D
    The last quality graphic adventure game they made was Grim Fandango, I was really quite disappointed in Escape From Monkey Island.
    Hopefully the ex-LucasArts guys over at Telltale Games can give us a great new Sam & Max game! :D With Steve Purcell involved too it should deliver. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

Battlefield series, since bf2 i really have lost faith in EA/Dice games in general :mad:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

I enjoyed Double Dash, particularly 2-4 player races, and the hecticness of the battles in 4 player! Single player could have been better though. Mario Kart DS is a real return to form though, my favourite Mario Kart by far! :)

The original Super Mario Kart (SNES) was the best by far. On 150cc it was genuine difficulty - since the advent of the miraculous blue shell in double dash it has become cheap in its difficulty. In the original, expert driving and control rewarded you with a win - there was very little luck involved - nowadays you're gunning for the line in rainbow road to win the game and a poxy blue shell comes out of nowhere. Pah that's not difficult its unfair - which I hate as it points to lazy developing.
    Hopefully the ex-LucasArts guys over at Telltale Games can give us a great new Sam & Max game! :D With Steve Purcell involved too it should deliver. :D

If I won the lotto I'd fund a company who developed good old point and clickers again. Full Throttle, The Dig, Grim Fandango, Sam and Max, etc. etc. Golden Stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Epic/UT - I thought they were pretty damn good with UT, with every successive iteration since its more obvious to me that they just fluked it.

Oh yeah and CA/Total War - Its still the best real time strategy series around by miles and miles, but theyre getting lazy, rehashing the same thing without taking it forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I loved the Close Combat series. As a WW2 RTS they kicked ass. And then some idiot comes up with the idea of changing it to a couple of years in the future and making it into a first person shooter! Pure genius :rolleyes:

Another than let me down was Sin. The original was overshadowed by the release of Halflife, but was a pretty cool game in it's own right. Things like having to go into dos prompts on computers to get info and, what I thought was soooooo cool at the time was seeing the effects of your ations in later levels, for example, in the first level you were maning a gun on the side of a chopper flying around a bank. If you shot a billboard, it came crashing down into the bank and when you later get into the bank, you can find the billboard smashed through the roof. It was the little touches that got me excited :D

But then Sin Episodes came out and it really feels like a by-the-book cash cow, bleeding of HL2's popularity. Bit disappointing, really :(

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭DingChavez

Rainbow Six...yup.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭BOHSBOHS

rainbow six good
    rogue spear good
    raven shield good
    ----ubisoft lose heads
    lockdown crap
    lasvegas probably will be crap

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

jomanji wrote:
    I loved the Close Combat series. As a WW2 RTS they kicked ass. And then some idiot comes up with the idea of changing it to a couple of years in the future and making it into a first person shooter! Pure genius :rolleyes:

TBH Close Combat 2 and 3 were the best in the series, anything before or after was crap.

Only other series I have really lost faith in would be Fallout.

1 and 2 were great.

Tactics was alright: not a bad slant on the series, but really lacked a bit of atnosphere.

The brotherhood of steel games do not exist as far as I am concerned.

(How exactly did interplay decide to ditch fallout 3, which would have sold like hotcakes regardless on how bad it was, to make a sequal to a crap console 3rd person shooter that didn't sell well and got crap reviews?)

Fallout 3 I have very little hope for. Bethdesa will be doing it.

Didn't like Oblivion, due to how shallow the game was. Doubt Fallout 3 will have the same magic the previous 2 games had.

Advertisement