Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport to Stephens Green - Can it be done?

Options
  • 11-09-2006 11:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭

On this coming Wednesday (13th) I'm making a very quick return trip to Dublin and since I don't know Dublin at all I'm hoping that some local knowledge can tell me if my trip could be a success or an absolute failure.

I'm on the 6:45am Cork-Dublin flight which should have me in Dublin Airport for 7:35am. Once I get off that flight I need to make it to Stephens Green for 9am which I think should be OK. I've business to attend to in Ely Place (just off Stephens Green) until approximately 9:30am at which time I need to get back to the airport and get through security by 10:40am as my flight takes off at 11:05am. And here's the fun bit, I'll be using public transport (ie Dublin Bus) to and from the airport :eek:

Considering the time of the morning and Dublin traffic is this even remotely possible? From looking at the Dublin Bus website they claim that the Airport to O'Connell St. route (747) is a 35 minute journey and the same going the other way so in theory that gives me approx 20 minutes to run from O'Connell St. to Stephens Green and the same for the return leg with a few minutes to spare.

So, can it be done? Or will I be a broken shell of a man at 11:05 as I run in the door of the airport and see my plane taking off? I had been confidant that all would be OK but everyone I tell about my plans tend to collapse in hysterical laughter and ask me what I've been smoking :(

Can it be done? 17 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    64% 11 votes
    WTF?!?!?
    35% 6 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

just get the airport express, leave from outside dublin airport and goes as far as o'connell street, hop off walk up grafton street and there u are at stephens green

walk back to o'connell street, get the airport express back to the airport and there u go.

takes about 30 or 40 mins as far as i remember, costs 5 quid though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Blackjack

JohnK wrote:
    On this coming Wednesday (13th) I'm making a very quick return trip to Dublin and since I don't know Dublin at all I'm hoping that some local knowledge can tell me if my trip could be a success or an absolute failure.

I'm on the 6:45am Cork-Dublin flight which should have me in Dublin Airport for 7:35am. Once I get off that flight I need to make it to Stephens Green for 9am which I think should be OK. I've business to attend to in Ely Place (just off Stephens Green) until approximately 9:30am at which time I need to get back to the airport and get through security by 10:40am as my flight takes off at 11:05am. And here's the fun bit, I'll be using public transport (ie Dublin Bus) to and from the airport :eek:

Considering the time of the morning and Dublin traffic is this even remotely possible? From looking at the Dublin Bus website they claim that the Airport to O'Connell St. route (747) is a 35 minute journey and the same going the other way so in theory that gives me approx 20 minutes to run from O'Connell St. to Stephens Green and the same for the return leg with a few minutes to spare.

So, can it be done? Or will I be a broken shell of a man at 11:05 as I run in the door of the airport and see my plane taking off? I had been confidant that all would be OK but everyone I tell about my plans tend to collapse in hysterical laughter and ask me what I've been smoking :(

If you can check in for your return flight before you leave Dublin Airport when you land.
    You are really chancing it to get to the Airport from town in 1 hour and 10 minutes, but it is possible. Best to get a taxi if you can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭theTinker

I couldn't get out to clonskeagh dublin 4 from dublin 12, does my opinion still count?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Lindaloo

I think you'll be grand, there are two options the Aircoach (light blue) or the Dublin Bus (yellow and navy), cant' see you having any problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,307 ✭✭✭markpb

You might want to try Ballsbridge or Leopardstown Aircoach buses (bright blue ones). They run every few minutes from the airport and you can get off at Trinity which is a few minutes walk from Stephens Green. There's only one stop before Trinity so its reasonably fast.

Coming back, both buses pick up at Dawson street which runs parallel to Grafton Street. If you're flying Ryanair, you have to check in no later than 10.25 so you'll be tight for time but you might make it. A taxi should cost about 20 euro, possibly more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

Blackjack wrote:
    If you can check in for your return flight before you leave Dublin Airport when you land.
    You are really chancing it to get to the Airport from town in 1 hour and 10 minutes, but it is possible. Best to get a taxi if you can.

Yeah, that would be the best thing - if you're checked in already, then you can just go straight through security avoiding queueing at check in! But if you do this, just make sure you print out your boarding card, otherwise you'll have to queue & pay €20 for a replacement one! Also, you have to use have your passport to do this, as online check in requires your passport no. Someone I know put in their drivers license no. and had big problems.

I'd recommend any of the coaches into town. Normally I get the dublin bus - 747 & 748, but I'd say if you are in a big rush, you'd be better off on a coach, they normally travel quicker & have fewer stops!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Thanks for the replies everyone, I'm feeling optimistic again :D. I’m trying to do this on the cheap since I’m totally broke right now so taxi’s will be a last resort. The aircoach seems like a good idea and by the looks of it I’d have to get that from O'Connell St. anyway. Is it realistic to walk to “O'Connell Street - Royal Dublin Hotel” from Stephens Green in 20 minutes or would I want to be running? There’s an aircoach from there at 9:50am which should get me to the airport at 10:20am and that would be ideal. I don’t expect too much of a delay at security but you never know so the more time I can give myself the better. As for checking in, I plan to do tha online in the next few minutes. Just as soon as I can find that confirmation email :D.

You could probably do it in 20 minutes but you'd be quick marching all the way :p

The closest stop on the outbound route is Dawson Street and its much closer to Stephens Green unless you have a reason for wanting to go to OCS.

Dawson Street sounds good, thanks markpb :D. The only reason I had said O'Connell St. was that i had a veeeeerrrrrrry vague notion of where it is but it looks like Dawson would be the better choice :D. Anyone know how far up Dawson St. the Pink Shirt Shop is? Thats where the stop is it seems.

I'm not sure where it is, I've never heard of it but a quick hunt on google found this page which says its near the Stephens Green end of the street so you should be okay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

JohnK, just to add something different :)
    I would recommend not staying on the bus till Dawson St.

Get off at O'Connell St and walk.

I was on the Aircoach recently coming from the airport at a similar time of the morning and it took the bus 15mins to get from O'Connell St to Stephens Green - traffic around the O'Connell St & College Green area was horrendous!

Nice find Mark :D! One thing that worries me about that page is the line Allow an hour for your journey where they mention the aircoach. An hours trip could screw me :eek:

SofaKing, that sounds like a good plan! Being rushhour I'm abit nervous of the traffic.

Aircoach.ie mentions how the return journey is 12 euro, so that might be worth getting rather then two 7 euro fares.

If you're in Dublin Airport waiting for a bus to arrive, a last resort would be to get the 16A bus. This will go through the centre of Dublin, and you could then get off on Dame Street (or O'Connell, though Dame is nearer to Grafton Street) - see http://www.dto.ie/web2006/jp.htm for journey planner. The 16A would take longer, and isn't as good as the Aircoach though (but would only cost you around 1.80 to town).

And 20 minutes from O'Connell to Stephen's Green is easily enough done, though you may be semi-power-walking.

Good luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

If you have no luggage with you and find your the bus is stuck in traffic near O'Connell bridge and your not at a bus stop, you may as well ask the driver to let you out and walk.

EDIT: On a return journey to the Airport, i got the impression that the 747 was faster - though it only operates between O'Connell St and the airport every 10mins.

More good tips, cheers! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭daiixi

I know you said you're broke OP, but for the €30 a taxi is going to cost, why would you stress yourself out?

daiixi wrote:
    I know you said you're broke OP, but for the €30 a taxi is going to cost, why would you stress yourself out?
    ...because I'm actually that broke that its worth it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Exit arrivals and go straight across the road to bus stop no. 5 (Aircoach). It's just left of the main pedestrian entrance to the short term car park.

Ignore any other Aircoaches you may see parked at other stops. They may be for Belfast or are dropping off. Don't waste time - straight to stop no. 5.

Get the Leopardstown Bus (not Ballsbridge). It leaves every 15 minutes.

Get off in Kildare Street at the Department of Agriculture (near Leinster House).

5 minute walk to Ely Place.

On your return go to Dawson Street and board at the Pinks Shirt Shop (above Mansion House and across road).

Kildare St and Dawson St run parallel to each other but are one way streets -Up Kildare towards Green and down Dawson St towards Centre.

You will be dropped off at the arrivals road at the airport. Leg it upstairs to departures.

Good Luck. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

It'll be tight alright, but walking to Grafton Street from O'Connell street is easily done in 20 minutes. If you have the lights working with you and no umbrella-wielding pedestrians block your way, you could do it in almost half that walking at a quick pace.

The real danger is that you could be unlucky and lose time waiting for buses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

JohnK wrote:
    ...because I'm actually that broke that its worth it :(

If you have to buy another flight coz you miss your return leg for the sake of €20-30, you're going to be sick and even more broke.

You're cutting it too tight tbh. 1 delay and you're fúcked. Getting there should be ok, provided the GNIB isnt on one of its go-slows in the passport booths.

If you get delayed at the Stephens Green end you are screwed.

Cant you reboot on a later flight?

• Advertisement

Getting there should be ok, provided the GNIB isnt on one of its go-slows in the passport booths.
    Do they check passports for internal flights? If so, why?

If you have to buy another flight coz you miss your return leg for the sake of €20-30, you're going to be sick and even more broke.

You're cutting it too tight tbh. 1 delay and you're fúcked. Getting there should be ok, provided the GNIB isnt on one of its go-slows in the passport booths.

If you get delayed at the Stephens Green end you are screwed.

Cant you reboot on a later flight?
    The only other flights available are Aer Arann flights that are going for around €70 and if I actually have to buy one of them I think I'll die a little inside :(

Do they check passports for internal flights? If so, why?
    I think its more of a cursory check as everyone from any particular terminal has to pass them so there could be some foreign flights there too. God help them if they have a go-slow happening :eek:

Exit arrivals and go straight across the road to bus stop no. 5 (Aircoach). It's just left of the main pedestrian entrance to the short term car park.

Ignore any other Aircoaches you may see parked at other stops. They may be for Belfast or are dropping off. Don't waste time - straight to stop no. 5.

Get the Leopardstown Bus (not Ballsbridge). It leaves every 15 minutes.

Get off in Kildare Street at the Department of Agriculture (near Leinster House).

5 minute walk to Ely Place.

On your return go to Dawson Street and board at the Pinks Shirt Shop (above Mansion House and across road).

Kildare St and Dawson St run parallel to each other but are one way streets -Up Kildare towards Green and down Dawson St towards Centre.

You will be dropped off at the arrivals road at the airport. Leg it upstairs to departures.

Good Luck. :)

*prints* Thanks Wishbone :D

Well, I'm off to the airport now. If I haven't posted again by about 1pm today then you know something's gone horribly wrong :o

thanks for all the help,

John :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I think the leg with the biggest possibility for delay is the one in from the airport slap bang in the middle of rush hour.

I hope it works out for you.

I'm back! :D

You’re right spurious, that was the longest delay alright. I had expected that to take the 35 minutes they claimed but it took 1 hour instead. Still though, I made it to Stephens Green for about 8:45am so that was grand. I got everything done that I needed much earlier than I thought and was on my way back for the bus at 9:10am but it didn't show until 9:30am when 2 came together :rolleyes:. Got back to the airport for 10am and went straight to security which was nice and quick since they have the domestic channel so I didn't have to join the rather large queue :eek:. If I hadn’t arrived until 10:30am I’d probably have been screwed since the flight was departing from A68 which is bloody miles away.

Thanks again for all the help everyone :D

John.

Well done, glad you survived the trip :-)

I think you were quite unlucky, the Swords Road (from the airport to c/centre) was much worse than normal today.

Well done!

JohnK wrote:
    I'm back! :D
    Well done JohnK. Glad you made it.:)
    JohnK wrote:
    on my way back for the bus at 9:10am but it didn't show until 9:30am when 2 came together :rolleyes:

That route operates as a continuous loop, i.e. the route begins and ends at the airport. Buses depart every 15 minutes, but, as it is quite a long route, it is not unusual for one bus to catch up with the other. The first bus may have had more pick ups/set downs, met more red lights/delays or one driver may have had a heavier right foot or was an amber gambler!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

Fair play to you. Glad I was wrong!

Advertisement