Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer Science in DIT

Options
  • 11-09-2006 11:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭

Hey,
    I have induction for this on Thursday. Can anyone who's done this in the past tell us what it's like?
    I particularly wanna know what the timetable is like. Is it long or short or what?
    Also, i've heard good things bout your man Art Sloan
    Cheers,
    grimm2005

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

The first year timetable is easy and the subjects are even easier. The timetable for first year (or at least when I was in first year) had few enough hours but had big 3 hour gaps. And the induction is just a guided tour basically and some spiel, you should still go though it’s informative. Art Sloan is a legend, And Richard Lawler too.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,575 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

art is one of the soundest men you'll get to know

link for last years timetable http://www.comp.dit.ie/asloan/Ttable.xls

basically what happens in induction day is they bring you into a lecture hall tell you about the college where everything is etc etc, then they split you into groups and you's have a llittle chat to get to know people.

in the afternoon you go to registration where you hand in the reciept of that giro that you paid at the bank. then you go off and get your mugshot taken for your student card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Ah Art... How i miss him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

Think the Virgin Mary was a virgin? Well guess what, you were wrong. Art can verify that for you. That's right, he produced a messiah. That's just how much of a legend he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Cool, sounds good. Not a fan off the early 9am starts but ill live with it

• Advertisement

By the way, you'll be split in to groups. You have so many lectures each week of every subject. e.g 1 groups might have C programming on a monday afternoon and the other group gets to go home, then on tuesday, the one's who got to go go home have C programming and the one's who did it on monday get a lie in etc. It's done like this in the labs and primarily the buisness type subjects like communications and managment.

Ah right, so is that for every subject or just a couple of em?

You'll be in all of the programming lectures as far as I can remember. The labs, communications, managment, maths modeling and the tutorials you'll be split up for. It's not a 9-5 course the way it looks on the time table. You'll only have to go to about 60% of the classes on the time table because of the groupings. Even at that, you'll lose motivation if you have long breaks in between classes. If you have one important lecture and a less important lab later on with a three hour break in between, you'll probably go to the lecture and not be arsed going the lab so you take the evening off. You can do most of the labwork at home on your PC.

cool, thanks. The timetable looked a bit packed i thought. I look forward to induction on thurs

Advertisement