Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Forum

Options
  • 12-09-2006 8:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭

this may not go down well but....

Does anyone think that a new forum where maybe "Advanced Driving" could be discussed might at some point be set up?
    I like boards but am getting fed up of the "augony aunt" forum it is turning into and the invariable - "Alfas are crap, my dad said so" arguments breaking out every day and find I am starting to visit less and less.

Would anyone else be interested in somewhere informed discussion about cars and driving techniques could be discussed?

Rob

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

I'm not sure we need a new forum - I would much prefer if we could just tidy this one up and get people to make an effort to resist causing arguments. Its unbelievable the amount of threads that go off on tangents and rants. Its so frustrating when you see a thread title that interests you so you click in and within a few responses the thread is taken over with an arguement. Typical arguments:

Alfas are crap/Alfas are not crap
    All Civic drivers are boy racers
    If you are doing at or under the speed limit, there is no problem with driving on the outside lane of a motorway
    And the latest one:
    if you ask a question on a crash you came upon - then you were rubber necking/ no I wasnt/ yes you were....

Grrrr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I think it's pretty pointless

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Hotwheels

There's no shortage of boards for just about every make of car, e.g Alfa Owners they have regular track days, and give plenty of tips on driving tracks, tyre choice, setup etc...is that the kinda place ya are looking for..?
    There are some good BMW,Ford, Toyota, etc...a google will list loads of them...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭declanoneill

RobAMerc wrote:
    this may not go down well but....

Does anyone think that a new forum where maybe "Advanced Driving" could be discussed might at some point be set up?
    I like boards but am getting fed up of the "augony aunt" forum it is turning into and the invariable - "Alfas are crap, my dad said so" arguments breaking out every day and find I am starting to visit less and less.

Would anyone else be interested in somewhere informed discussion about cars and driving techniques could be discussed?

Rob

Change the forum rules and get out the ban stick. RobAMerc for mod!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Change the forum rules and get out the ban stick. RobAMerc for mod!

Not sure if I am your man.
    I have a problem with authority...... I abuse it, I would ban everyone who disagreed with me.
    A Morris Marina would blow the doors off a Ferrari Enzo around mondello, right. I know coz my dad had one, and we went for icecream in it ; its the best car ever. Agree or be banned :D
    hotwheels wrote:
    There's no shortage of boards for just about every make of car, e.g Alfa Owners they have regular track days, and give plenty of tips on driving tracks, tyre choice, setup etc...is that the kinda place ya are looking for..?
    Yes but they are all UK based, I was just wondering about something more local. So what if the A92 between Leicster and Croyden is a great road to drive, it is not likely I will get a chance to nip down it some Saturday arvo.

Also these tend to be brand loyal, and a bit biased towards a particular brand.

I am happy to let this forum run as it is, I would just like somewhere to chat about interesting driving stuff, not stuff about driving that happend someone on the m50 today.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭declanoneill

RobAMerc wrote:
    I would ban everyone who disagreed with me.
    Isn't that how all mods work?...... Except mike..... of course *nervous laughter*
    RobAMerc wrote:
    I am happy to let this forum run as it is, I would just like somewhere to chat about interesting driving stuff, not stuff about driving that happened someone on the m50 today.

I could see an argument for shifting that stuff (yes, I know I post about it) to After Hours and keep motors somewhat more elite. Interesting topics for those who know their stuff and a learning experience for those that don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭3ps

RobaMerc, there are other Irish forums out there.... somewhere.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

i dono about the intrest in it but im sure there could be one .

id be more intrested about learning where to learn advanced driving and the likes.

discussing different advanced driving schools. places in europe to go .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

RobAMerc wrote:

Rob

What is stopping the discussion of such topics in this forum? It is the motors forum after all...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Someone could suggest another sub-forum and see if Vexorg (he likes cars) agrees.

As for the signal/noise ratio RobaMerc, I actually agree but if I modded this forum to be exactly like I wanted it to be then it would feel like the Classic Cars forum - quieter! A place where users are older and wiser for the most part.

This forum is a "come one come all" sort of clearing house and as such contains lot of stuff that the more "mature" poster gets bored/frustrated with.

Mike.

• Advertisement
Advertisement