Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TV card for Laptop

• 12-09-2006 9:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭

I have an aerial socket in the wall, just beside where I park my Laptop. Instead of buying a TV I was thinking of buying a Laptop TV card. I've seen a few on Ebay for about €30 or €40. Are these likely to be any good? I want something thats fairly straightforward that does not involve messing around every time you want to use your laptop as a TV.

Can anybody recommend anything?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I use my HP laptop as my HTPC with a Hauppauge USB2 PVR. I haven't really had any problems with it and it comes with a remote control.

The software that comes with it is pretty crap (though certainly usable) and it works fine with the likes of GB-PVR and Media Portal. One thing to note is that the reception is dire with a normal rabbits ears (i.e. for RTE/TV3/TG4) . It is only really usable in your situation where you take a signal from NTL/Chorus or in my case, Sky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭recyclebin

i just bought the hauppauge wintv usb in argos for 57.50euro. Its okay but as tom dunne said you need decent reception for it to be any use.the good thing about them is that you can record programs to the hard drive or burn them to dvds.At full screen the picture size is only goin to be about 10 inches which is not that big when you can buy a 14inch tv for around 80euro.

Advertisement