Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doom & Gloom

Options
  • 12-09-2006 10:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Its just around the corner from what I read and here. Reading the thread about the housing bubble starting to burst and the fact that most companies in Ireland are now British owned. If all these houses become empty and are at present empty followed by companies closing down or moving once the brits realise no more profits are possible, what will happen to us.

I was shocked to find a British company now owns 9 provincial newspapers in Ireland and Roches Stores is British owned. I think this may lead to a crash landing.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

Troll?
    Tsar wrote:
    Its just around the corner from what I read and here. The only think that is around the corner in Ireland is the school, where is your sense of history?Reading the thread about the housing bubble starting to burst and the fact that most companies in Ireland are now British owned.Pretty sweeping statement here, Tsar If all these houses become empty and are at present emptyplease expand/explain followed by companies closing down or moving once the brits realise no more profits are possible, what will happen to us.We got rid of them politically in 1922/ now they have come back to Fcuk us economically. when they go we will be grand, as always

I was shocked to find a British company now owns 9 provincial newspapers in Ireland why shocked, we fooled them into paying big prices for themand Roches Stores is British owned. I think this may lead to a crash landing.

The issue for me is not who owns the shops but that we are buying stuff made by child labour from all over the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

Please expand on your reasoning and sources

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Captain Trips

ircoha wrote:
    Troll?

The issue for me is not who owns the shops but that we are buying stuff made by child labour from all over the world.

Yeah that is the real crux of the matter. I would rather buy from Ireland or EU countries, but e.g., I have stopped going to M&S because of all the money they give to Israel (it would be like supporting child brutality IMHO).

A lot of cheap goods can be made by suspect labour in the middle of nowhere; I used not check but now I do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

Tsar wrote:
    Its just around the corner from what I read and here. Reading the thread about the housing bubble starting to burst and the fact that most companies in Ireland are now British owned. If all these houses become empty and are at present empty followed by companies closing down or moving once the brits realise no more profits are possible, what will happen to us.

I was shocked to find a British company now owns 9 provincial newspapers in Ireland and Roches Stores is British owned. I think this may lead to a crash landing.
    Err you're off your head. American multinationals are one of the main driving forces of the Irish economy. Can't remember the last time I heard of a British owned company in the country in any significant sense.

I'd err on the side of troll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭PDelux

Dont mean to divert the discussion but FYI ..
    I have stopped going to M&S because of all the money they give to Israel (it would be like supporting child brutality IMHO).
    Money you give to Starbucks also goes to Israel to buy weapons, something to think about when you're sipping on your latte!
    (google it to find more info)

• Advertisement
Advertisement