Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Next Gen Poll

Options
  • 12-09-2006 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭

Which console or combination of consoles do you intend buying or already have in the case of the 360?

I plan to get the Wii, and if I can afford it at a later date, a 360.

Which consoles do you own/intend to get? 83 votes

Xbox 360
    0%
    Wii
    10%
    MaximilianCiaranCsimonp1Ri_NollaigGummy Pandaquad_redmcgovernfranmanMonkeyWrench 9 votes
    PS3
    39%
    BlitzKriegZombrexIvanthe_sycoTheFatPugsleyMakaveliTuskyGoodshapeSpastafarianJimCombatCowRobertFostermagickchump[Deleted User]RaphaelhonruuberpixieUser45701 33 votes
    Xbox 360 and Wii
    7%
    CrucifixDowweemcdBlackWizardSal121VeeGo 6 votes
    PS3 and Wii
    36%
    D-GenerateMatt SimisKristokRabiesondaflyzAbbobizmarki_am_dogboyflogenjesus_thats_greRE*AC*TORL5toxofNooptievad_lhorgSmellyirishmanCiaran500ShiverinEskimoR0otqz 30 votes
    Xbox 360 and PS3
    4%
    WinterstbaPeteeeBlowfish 4 votes
    All 3
    1%
    Sgt. Politeness 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Already have a 360 and I'll definitely be getting a Wii.

I'll probably pick up the PS3 as well, mostly because it works out as a fairly affordable Blue-ray player... but like the other Playstation consoles I'll say it will be a very long time before anything interesting starts to come out for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

PS3
    I'll probably pick up the PS3 as well, mostly because it works out as a fairly affordable Blue-ray player...

I thought the same, but changed my mind as I haven't heard great things about Blue-Ray as opposed to HD-DVD, from reviews of the first movies to be released on both formats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

PS3 and Wii
    Already have a xbox 360, will definitely be getting a wii, probably won't be getting a ps3 unless heavenly sword alone justifies it...not interested in the blu ray functionality of the ps3, or the future hd-dvd functionality of the xbox, so that aspect of the consoles means nothing to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Have a 360. Pre-ordered a Wii. I will get a PS3 at some stage (though I doubt I will at launch). I like having all the platforms, I like being able to buy any good game that comes out right now regardless of platform. I play a lot of games. Plus, unlike a lot of other people, I get to share the cost of these things (we're both gamers), so I don't have to buy it all myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Sgt. Politeness

All 3
    I own a 360 which since getting saints row and dead rising, im quite happy with.
    Ill more than likely be suckered into getting a ps3 at some stage, but definitely not at launch. give it 6 monts, and maybe then. I think for this generation, im going to skip nintendo altogether. I loved the GC, bought one on launch day, but to be honest i think i own less than 10 games for it and its what, 4 years old? I cant see the wii's fancy controller being much more than a virtual boy-esque farce. Obviously it wont bomb like the virtual boy, but i dunno..it just seems gimmicky.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

PS3 and Wii
    Own a 360, and will soon pre-order a Wii (probably after seeing the result on Friday). I may buy a PS3 a few years down the line when it has a few worthy exclusives and the price is worth it, or I may just borrow one from someone. I voted 360+wii because they are definites.
    I dunno..it just seems gimmicky.
    That's what people said about the DS.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I have a Wii pre-ordered. The launch line-up is fantastic with quite a few potential classics. Also the price is right.

I'll pick up an xbox360 and PS3 eventually. So far there is nothing on the 360 that warrants a purchase. There are less than a handful of good games but nothing groundbreaking. I'll wait until the price drops for the PS3 or when there are some decent games for it. So far the launch line up is awful with nothing standing out. Something might surprise us but I doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭rgiller

Don't think there was an option for "none of the above" in your poll choices. THis may sound a bit funny but I've recently rediscovered my PS2 and original Xbox and I don't really feel like I want to buy a next gen console just yet. Currently playing games like Shadow of the Colossus, MGS3 (which I was very slow to pick up on), Spartan Total Warrior, RE4 and Psi-Ops. I don't think I've quite finished with the current gen. And with more good stuff to come like God of War 2, Just Cause and recent ones I've missed like Hitman Blood Money there's still loads of life left in these humble machines. I'm more likely to get a DS lite before I go for a 360 or a Wii. Weird I know....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

PS3 and Wii
    I'll be getting a Wii for sure, and maybe a 360 later next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

PS3
    Wii for me... my only concern is getting a proper television for it.

• Advertisement

PS3
    The only 360 game thats tempting me to get one at the minute is Dead Rising. And I know I'm gonna want it for RE5, but there honestly is nothing else I've seen that makes me think "I wanna play that!". Gonna wait and see what GTA4 is like on the 360 before I invest I think. If it's more Vice City than San Andreas I'd definately want it more.

As for the Wii there are a lot of games coming for it that I know I'm gonna be disappointed at launch because I cant get all the ones I want! Is Metal Slug Anthology gonna be a launch title? I can't remember. Its not new, granted, but its one of the many I'm gonna get for sure, along with Metroid Prime 3, Zelda Twilight Princess, Red Steel, and a few others scheduled for "launch window" meaning the first 2 months

MGS4 on the PS3 is the only game that I'd be interested in there from what I've seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

PS3
    Wii, I may pick up either an 360 or PS3 once they go down in price/a game spikes my interest but for the moment I just use a PC for fancy graphics/online games.

PS3
    So, sofar there is most interest in the "Wii60" (10 votes) and 0 votes for the "PSWii" :D

Have to say I'm quite amazed at how many intend getting a Wii by itself as opposed to the PS3 or 360 alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

PS3 and Wii
    Have a 360 and find it to be really good cant see any reason to get a ps3 seeing as everything ive read says the graphics are only slightly better at best. Hopefully ill get a wii but need to play with the controller in a shop first to see if its all its cracked up to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

PS3
    I am getting a Wii (really looking forward to it) and I am sticking with my PC

Finished Tomb Raider on the PC last night - €20 from Game, where the X360 version costs over €50

Quake 4 has gone to budget on the PC already, on the X360 it still cost over €50

(yes yes Play-Asia.com sometimes have cheap X360 games, but if I went on the internet I could probably get the PC versions even cheaper)

I am seriously failing to see the point of the X360. All the games are either available cheaper on the PC, or available cheaper on the XBox (with similar graphics).

Maybe in a years time, when the price has dropped and things like GTA4 are out, but I will probably just get the PC version of that too (San Andreas, €19 in Game for PC, Vice City €14)

And don't get me started on the PS3 ... €600 for a workable console? €80 for the games ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

You really cant make that argument without looking at the price of the hardware involved in pc gaming. And then it kinda falls apart when you need to spend €1500+ to play the latest games on a pc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

PS3
    skywalker wrote:
    You really cant make that argument without looking at the price of the hardware involved in pc gaming. And then it kinda falls apart when you need to spend €1500+ to play the latest games on a pc.

Yes but I have a PC anyway. If I bought an Xbox 360 I would still need my PC for work and internet. What does my new console do apart from play games?

And I only need to buy 5 PC games instead of X360 games to save enough money to buy a new graphics card, and I only need to do that every few years. On average I buy 20 PC games a year, much more for budget games. I could only afford about 5-7 X360 games a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I clicked all 3, because that has been the case for the last two generations.

I'm picking up a 360 this week. Partly because the PS3 has been delayed, but mostly because it is finally hitting its stride. The last few weeks has seen the release of perhaps the first truly next-gen games, in things like Ninety-Nine Nights, Dead Rising and Test Drive Unlimited - games that would not be possible on the previous generation of consoles. If there's a criticism of the 360 now, its that it's catalogue of games is very limited in scope - littered with FPS and (surprisingly) RPG.

I'll be picking up the Wii, probably before Christmas, because it's cheap, so that I can play the new Zelda, and for the virtual console. Wario is the only Wii game that interests me at the moment.

And the PS3, probably pick that up late into next year, depending on what quality of games we see. MGS4 could be the one that clinches it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

Xbox 360 and PS3
    You need to put the option for the PC up there, ie whos getting a PC for next gen games, dx 10 vista etc...

I know I am and if one console gets a plethora of good games out on it I will get that, in about three to five years time.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

I clicked all 3, because that has been the case for the last two generations.

Same here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

PS3
    I plan to get a Wii at launch or at least this year. Can't see myself ever getting a 360; just lacking that support from Japan. As for the PS3, I suppose I'm taking a "wait and see" approach. I'm not prepared to cough up the €600+ or whatever, but perhaps in a few years it'll have the right games at a decent price.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Stuff on the 360 I'm looking forward to:

Dead Rising, Viva Pinata, Lost Planet, Mass Effect (gamegasm!! I have very high hopes for this game), Gears Of War, Forza 2, Too Human (possibly), Halo 3, Shadowrun, finger crossed for a Jade Empire 2 (haven't heard any rumours about that one in a while).

And if you don't have a PS3, the titles they share like Assassins Creed and GTA. There may be other games I've temporarily forgotten. It's likely. I'll have a moment of clarity later on "AH damnit I can't believe I forgot to list X".

There's plenty of stuff I'm looking forward to on the PS3 aswell though, which is why I'll be getting one of those at some point. I'm giddy with anticipation for Silent Hill 5 alone, even though it'll be a looong time before that's out.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

PS3 and Wii
    I'm going travelling so it'll be a year or two before I buy any of them which probably suits best cos then I can make a choice based on tangible games and not speculation and promises. I would buy the 360 for Halo 3 alone (massive halo fan) and the DS lite has reignited my love for Nintendo and the Mario/Zelda games. So probably the 360 and Wii for me.

I've become anti-sony since the rootkit scandal on their music CDs and will probably rather spend my money on a HD-DVD drive for the 360 and a Wii than the 600 bucks for the PS3 and its Blu-Ray drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Darnell13

PS3 and Wii
    Wii: as soon as it's out. Can't wait. So many interesting things there.

360: probably. Dead Rising looks brilliant, but not quite enough for me to splash out just yet.

PS3 (or PS£ as caps lock would have it) - well, the price is mental and ....well it's a while off at the moment...

I'm really only thinking about the first two.

Couldn't agree more with rgiller, though. I've loads of games between my ps2, cube, and ds that I still have to play, and loads that I still have to get.

Last week i got Black, which I haven't even played yet, and We Love Katamari (what the hell is going on in this? Fun, mind you). Also Blood Money, cos Hitman games are great, MGS3, Mercenaries, God of War, SOTC.......

Okami looks very interesting too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

PS3
    These polls mean very little in the grand scheme of things. If you look back a few years there was a very simliar poll in regards to GC, PS2 & X-Box. GC won by a country mile but its not reflected by general sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

PS3
    I definatly wont get a PS3 or 360. Wii is a possibility for me, although I had said that the GC would be the last console I'd buy (which after I sold it, bought an xbox, then sold that and went back to the GC). I was totally put off the idea of a Wii when I first heard about the remote, didn't much like the idea of jumping around my sitting room waving the thing. But then I saw the E3 demo and it completly changed my mind.

I might wait a bit and see if the online service is decent....but then again I might just buy it on launch day out of boredom (impulse buying ftl).

@ Tusky : It must be nearly 2 years at this stage but I still laugh everytime I see your sig.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭mcgarnicle

I'll get all 3. Have a 360 and really starting to get into it now. PS3 will have classics, just like the ps2, so is a must. I think the wii is a glorified gamecube and i think the fact they are looking for 250 euro for it is a disgrace but i will still get one as mario and zelda live there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

PS3 and Wii
    mcgarnicle wrote:
    I think the wii is a glorified gamecube and i think the fact they are looking for 250 euro for it is a disgrace but i will still get one as mario and zelda live there.
    They're all just glorified version of their predesesors :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭mcgarnicle

Except the wii is actually a gamecube with a new joypad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

PS3 and Wii
    mcgarnicle wrote:
    Except the wii is actually a gamecube with a new joypad.
    Its apparently 3 times as powerful as a Gamecube and has a new joypad :D

Advertisement