Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying phone from the North

• 12-09-2006 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭

I am looking to buy the new Sony Ericsson P990i but it's not being released in Ireland. Vodafone UK have it in stock now and are selling it SIM free for £400.

I spoke to a sales rep and they said they are selling most phones for FREE if you sign up on their £30 a month contract. This seems like the cheapest option.

Has anyone done this before?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭skearon

PH4T wrote:
    I am looking to buy the new Sony Ericsson P990i but it's not being released in Ireland. Vodafone UK have it in stock now and are selling it SIM free for £400.

I spoke to a sales rep and they said they are selling most phones for FREE if you sign up on their £30 a month contract. This seems like the cheapest option.

Don't they look for proof of id and proof of address such as a utility bill? I don't know if a Vodafone UK store in the North will accept an address in the Republic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 alfagt

No they won't let you unless you have an address in NI. I tried to get a contract with Voda as i was working down there for a while, was refused when i told them i was living in the Republic.

But you can still save money by buying a phone there on PAYG. Maybe not the P990 yet, but a lot of the PAYG phones are not locked. Bought a BenQ-Siemens EL71 through some crowd called "Fresh Mobile" in the Carphonewarehouse in Enniskillen. Was £120stg with £20 credit, cheaper than buying SIM free. It's working quite happily with with my Voda Irl sim.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭PH4T

alfagt wrote:
    No they won't let you unless you have an address in NI. I tried to get a contract with Voda as i was working down there for a while, was refused when i told them i was living in the Republic.

But you can still save money by buying a phone there on PAYG. Maybe not the P990 yet, but a lot of the PAYG phones are not locked. Bought a BenQ-Siemens EL71 through some crowd called "Fresh Mobile" in the Carphonewarehouse in Enniskillen. Was £120stg with £20 credit, cheaper than buying SIM free. It's working quite happily with with my Voda Irl sim.

How long a go was that? Called the Vodafone store in Derry today and they said that people with Southern addresses can take out a contract...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 alfagt

It was back in April, was told that they would not as there was nothing to stop me going back across the border and not paying the bills!! And it would be too much hassle to chase the money. I rang Voda UK and was told much the same thing, but added that the only way they would accept me is if i got myself a bank account up there and paid by DD, with 3 months in advance.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Ginger Samurai

alfagt wrote:
    It was back in April, was told that they would not as there was nothing to stop me going back across the border and not paying the bills!! And it would be too much hassle to chase the money. I rang Voda UK and was told much the same thing, but added that the only way they would accept me is if i got myself a bank account up there and paid by DD, with 3 months in advance.........

Just bought a Sony Ericsson P990i in Derry today. Free with a years contract. Only two border stores, Derry and Newry, are able to set up contracts for customers with Southern addresses and £100 deposit has to be paid. All u need is ID, proof of address in the South and a Credit Card

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

alfagt wrote:
    Bought a BenQ-Siemens EL71 through some crowd called "Fresh Mobile" in the Carphonewarehouse in Enniskillen.

I think CPW own Fresh.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭PH4T

PH4T wrote:

Strange thing happened.

Vodafone UK set up the Direct Debit wrong so nothing came out of my account over the last 3 months. I got some letter about it in December but didn't bother replying seeing as they couldn't cut me off as I wasn't using the Vodafone UK SIM.

I called them up today to sort it out and they said my account has been cancelled. The deposit was used to pay the first 3 months bills. I said I didn't want to reconnect so they said fine and they would refund the remainder of the deposit, £39.45.

So I in effect got a €650 phone for €60.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

PH4T wrote:

I said I didn't want to reconnect so they said fine and they would refund the remainder of the deposit, £39.45.

So I in effect got a €650 phone for €60.

Very kewl. The other way round has never been a problem, I have contracts with O2, Voodoo and Meteor with a northern address and it was always hassle-free. The only flu in the ointment has been 3IRL who won't do this (even though I have 2 contracts with 3UK).

(incidentally 3UK's credit checks are seriously low-level).

Advertisement